Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: SuperFan John Herman passes away

Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:23 pm

So sad. I was out of town for a long weekend and just heard the news from Phil Gelormine last night. Elvis fans are so nice and generous, but nobody, NOBODY was more so than John Herman. I was only 13 when I first met him and always felt like he took me under his wing in 1976 and 1977, we only live 25 minutes from each other. Although we corresponded a little bit since Elvis died and a bit more via Greybeard in the past few years. One of the last times I talked to John on the phone was on August 6, 1977. He said that "Elvis was really rested, having 2 months off, but looking forward to getting back on tour." I hope he and Elvis got to meet again this week in heaven.

The last time I saw John was at a 1981 Three Dog Night Concert, I told him many times getting mail from him was like he was Santa Claus - he would send a stack of photos the size of a deck of cards to me OUT OF THE BLUE.

I so enjoyed his stories and being his "pen pal". It was an honor and a privilege to know him. He will be so missed!

Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:46 pm

RIP John. Sometimes, not too often, though, I forget that all of us long-time fans are getting a little long in the tooth (a North American expression for 'getting old). In the last few years, we've lost a great many of Elvis inner-circle as well as the 'super fans' like Claude, Rex, and now John. It's such a great legacy of music, recordings, photos, etc. that all of these folks have contributed and left the Elvis world. I'm so grateful to them all. May all those that we've lost rest in peace.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:48 pm

An outstanding opening post.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:56 pm

Sad news. He was the person who recorded the Pittsburgh show on December 31, 1976. Thanks to him we got this show on serveral bootlegs and more important now through legal channels FTD New Years Eve.
I wish his family many strength these hard days.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 am

Thank you Greybeard for your beautiful tribute ....

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and John's family.

Ed

Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:24 pm

I wish I had known John better as everyone says he was a great guy. Even though I traded with him in those days (1974-1977) for some reason it was his mother who always dealt with me on the phone but I could hear John in the background. I always assumed he was shy so when I heard he was a cop I was really surprised! And even when I ran across him in Vegas at the ALWAYS ELVIS convention in August 1978 he was with his mother and she did the talking. But he seemed very nice.

Since this has appeared on FECC I have received loads of e mails from fans thanking me for putting out the NEW YEARS EVE bootleg LP and I have been asked many questions so I would like to answer them here. Out of the 20 some boots that Sam and I did this was the only full "live" concert we put out. I had decided that, out of the between 8 and 10 cassette tapes we were sent ranging from not the best to decent to a few that were acceptable, Elvis fans definitely wanted to hear this historic show for many reasons so I knew we needed a great cover design to go along with it. I remember designing the booklet cover (by the way this the first time ever that there was a booklet cover in FULL COLOR for a bootleg LP!!) as if it was yesterday. At first I put Bob Heis' pics in squares and then in a five point star shape but finally settled on the circle. Why? Who knows! Then I thought that having an American flag type border would be interesting although that idea came late. I did write some liner notes but Jim Ritz did a much much better job so we used his.

The tape!! I have never mentioned this before because I had totally forgotten about it until the owner of the BEST tape I was sent called me last week!! He brought his 1967 Ampex Quadruplex VR-3000 suitcase size reel to reel tape recorder with him to the concert and recorded the show. It was a very expensive machine at that time. He recorded the show at 7 1/2 IPS. The reason why we never used this tape is because, for some reason, a few of the songs like LITTLE SISTER; HURT; and FAIRYTALE were messed up by either crowd noise, tape hiss or something else and this was a special show as Elvis did songs that he wasn't normally doing at that time in concert and having those on LP was one of the reasons it was so special. So we unfortunately decided to pick another source from a few of the other cassettes we received.

To answer the question as to whose cassette we eventually used the answer is: I honestly don't remember! It was either John's or the person sitting behind him. This person reads FECC and just contacted me last week! His tape is very very similar and even he can't tell the difference as I think they both used the same cassette tape brand and their position in the audience was identical! Also, it is very possible that Sam spliced together both tapes as, on the back cover of the LP I stated "Note: Special thanks to all those who supplied the material used for this LP. Their help is most appreciated." and I do vaguely recall Sam bringing up this idea. Anyway, whether it was his or John's or both really doesn't matter now. I'm just glad I was able to put it out for everyone to enjoy,

Anyway I hope everyone reading this will appreciate a little of the background of this historic LP that has been associated with John.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:17 pm

wwelvis wrote:I wish I had known John better as everyone says he was a great guy. Even though I traded with him in those days (1974-1977) for some reason it was his mother who always dealt with me on the phone but I could hear John in the background. I always assumed he was shy so when I heard he was a cop I was really surprised! And even when I ran across him in Vegas at the ALWAYS ELVIS convention in August 1978 he was with his mother and she did the talking. But he seemed very nice.

Since this has appeared on FECC I have received loads of e mails from fans thanking me for putting out the NEW YEARS EVE bootleg LP and I have been asked many questions so I would like to answer them here. Out of the 20 some boots that Sam and I did this was the only full "live" concert we put out. I had decided that, out of the between 8 and 10 cassette tapes we were sent ranging from not the best to decent to a few that were acceptable, Elvis fans definitely wanted to hear this historic show for many reasons so I knew we needed a great cover design to go along with it. I remember designing the booklet cover (by the way this the first time ever that there was a booklet cover in FULL COLOR for a bootleg LP!!) as if it was yesterday. At first I put Bob Heis' pics in squares and then in a five point star shape but finally settled on the circle. Why? Who knows! Then I thought that having an American flag type border would be interesting although that idea came late. I did write some liner notes but Jim Ritz did a much much better job so we used his.

The tape!! I have never mentioned this before because I had totally forgotten about it until the owner of the BEST tape I was sent called me last week!! He brought his 1967 Ampex Quadruplex VR-3000 suitcase size reel to reel tape recorder with him to the concert and recorded the show. It was a very expensive machine at that time. He recorded the show at 7 1/2 IPS. The reason why we never used this tape is because, for some reason, a few of the songs like LITTLE SISTER; HURT; and FAIRYTALE were messed up by either crowd noise, tape hiss or something else and this was a special show as Elvis did songs that he wasn't normally doing at that time in concert and having those on LP was one of the reasons it was so special. So we unfortunately decided to pick another source from a few of the other cassettes we received.

To answer the question as to whose cassette we eventually used the answer is: I honestly don't remember! It was either John's or the person sitting behind him. This person reads FECC and just contacted me last week! His tape is very very similar and even he can't tell the difference as I think they both used the same cassette tape brand and their position in the audience was identical! Also, it is very possible that Sam spliced together both tapes as, on the back cover of the LP I stated "Note: Special thanks to all those who supplied the material used for this LP. Their help is most appreciated." and I do vaguely recall Sam bringing up this idea. Anyway, whether it was his or John's or both really doesn't matter now. I'm just glad I was able to put it out for everyone to enjoy,

Anyway I hope everyone reading this will appreciate a little of the background of this historic LP that has been associated with John.

Wonderful post. By all accounts it is John Herman's recording that was used, and it is a doozy.

More importantly, I did not know that Jim Ritz was "The Rocker." Another little piece of the puzzle.

Is Jim another super-fan, or is he this guy:

http://bettyharper.com/2015/06/james-ritz/

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:15 am

You are right Dr J. Jim was a writer for Happy Days and was (maybe still is?) a big Elvis fan.

By the way I'm now told that the owner of the reel tape may soon be putting it plus the recorder up on E BAY!!

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:19 am

wwelvis wrote:You are right Dr J. Jim was a writer for Happy Days and was (maybe still is?) a big Elvis fan.

By the way I'm now told that the owner of the reel tape may soon be putting it plus the recorder up on E BAY!!

Wow.

Right now I am kind of stunned to learn the liner notes for the legendary Pittsburgh '76 import set were written by a writer from "Happy Days."

Another insane piece of the puzzle!