Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: SuperFan John Herman passes away

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Thoughts and prayers, Greybeard.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news.

Deepest condolences to his family and close friends.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:27 pm

RIP Mr. Herman

Well over 25 years ago, I remember seeing this album cover in a book at the library:

At the time, I had no idea why I had not seen this at our little record store down in Florida. I didn't know the legalities at the time. I called the record stores and even (gulp!) wrote to Graceland (yes, an actual letter - way before emails were a thing) to see if maybe they had copies to sell (they didn't respond, go figure! LOL).

Now, all these years later - they DO have it - all thanks to Mr. Herman and the efforts of FECC member @Greybeard.

In a way, Mr. Herman is what I consider "a hero in the shadows" of the Elvis world. He didn't put his name out there, but the contributions he made were ones that many thousands of fans appreciate to this day.

Again, RIP Mr. Herman.

Jordan

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Rest in peace, John. Elvis fans worldwide know of John Herman's legendary recording of the NYE 1976 concert in Pittsburgh, for which we are all eternally grateful. My condolences go to John's immediate family and friends at a time like this.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:08 pm

May he rest in peace.
He left us a treasure too cherish.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:14 pm

I corresponded with John years ago. He provided me with a tape of the New Years Eve show at the time. The story he told me was that he was at the concert and because he was acquainted with Elvis' sound crew a member offered to connect his tape recorder to the soundboard, but then thought better of it (fearing he might get caught and perhaps fired). John and I share birthdays. He was a gentleman and a great Elvis fan!

MT

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:17 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:RIP Mr. Herman

Well over 25 years ago, I remember seeing this album cover in a book at the library:

At the time, I had no idea why I had not seen this at our little record store down in Florida. I didn't know the legalities at the time. I called the record stores and even (gulp!) wrote to Graceland (yes, an actual letter - way before emails were a thing) to see if maybe they had copies to sell (they didn't respond, go figure! LOL).

Now, all these years later - they DO have it - all thanks to Mr. Herman and the efforts of FECC member @Greybeard.

In a way, Mr. Herman is what I consider "a hero in the shadows" of the Elvis world. He didn't put his name out there, but the contributions he made were ones that many thousands of fans appreciate to this day.

Again, RIP Mr. Herman.

Jordan

I remember the Elvis memorabilia show that came to the Auburn (MA) Mall for the weekend. That's where I first laid eyes on this beauty, and was initiated into the world of bootlegs.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:27 pm

If I'm not mistaken, John Herman was the one who handed Elvis a copy of "The Sun Collection" LP, during a Vegas show back in late 1975.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:41 pm

May he rest in peace and maybe have a long long conversation with Elvis soon... thanks for all your amazing videos and photos.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:30 pm

That is sad news. I am sorry for the loss of your friend, Greybeard. Thank you for sharing your memories.
My prayers go out to John's family. R.I.P John and thanks.

rlj

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Mister Moon wrote:If I'm not mistaken, John Herman was the one who handed Elvis a copy of "The Sun Collection" LP, during a Vegas show back in late 1975.

Yes you are correct...it tickled him when I sent him a clip of the FTD "Dinner At Eight" segment of him talking with Elvis spliced with clear audio of him responding taken from John's own recording of the same show.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Greybeard wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:If I'm not mistaken, John Herman was the one who handed Elvis a copy of "The Sun Collection" LP, during a Vegas show back in late 1975.

Yes you are correct...it tickled him when I sent him a clip of the FTD "Dinner At Eight" segment of him talking with Elvis spliced with clear audio of him responding taken from John's own recording of the same show.

Is this special mix available online to listen to? What a cool moment.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Greybeard wrote:

Is this special mix available online to listen to? What a cool moment.

No my friend it was something I sent to him. I believe someone else had the same thought and it appeared on a CD many years ago. I never shared my version with anyone except John. If I find the original file I will forward it to you.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 pm

Greybeard wrote:Yes you are correct...it tickled him when I sent him a clip of the FTD "Dinner At Eight" segment of him talking with Elvis spliced with clear audio of him responding taken from John's own recording of the same show.

Here you are, in memory of the super Elvis fan Mr. John Herman! ::rocks.

http://www30.zippyshare.com/v/xGLAYMaL/file.html

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:

Greybeard wrote:Yes you are correct...it tickled him when I sent him a clip of the FTD "Dinner At Eight" segment of him talking with Elvis spliced with clear audio of him responding taken from John's own recording of the same show.

Nice file, what a memory for John Herman.

The LP in your post is a 1976 U.S. release.

This is the 1975 U.K. compilation that John handed to Elvis:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:47 pm

Sending Condolences :( may he will R.I.P

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:08 am

Mike Windgren wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Thats awesome to hear, Crystal Clear audio as well...

Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:11 am

Went on the Ferguson Funeral Home in Uniondale, PA Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Andrew-D-Fergu ... 209882808/ & saw this:

"John Herman, age 75, of Uniontown passed away Wednesday, July 5, 2017 in Uniontown Hospital. He was born June 25, 1942 in Charleston, SC son of the late John G. Herman and Helen Mlinek Herman.

John was a member of St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church. He was a graduate of Brownsville High School and the Police Academy. He worked as a Police Officer for the City of Uniontown for 43 years. John was a member of F.O.P Teamsters Local 491. He enjoyed TV and music. He was an avid Elvis fan, a Mustang enthusiast, Pittsburgh Pirates fan and a history buff.

Left to cherish John’s memory are his wife, Zella Cross Herman of Uniontown, PA; daughter Debbie Domaracki and husband Mark of Belle Vernon, PA and granddaughter, Amanda Domaracki

Arrangements have been entrusted to the ANDREW D. FERGUSON FUNERAL HOME & CREMATORIES, INC., 80 Morgantown St., Uniontown, PA, where the family will receive friends on Sunday, July 9, 2017 from 2 until 4 pm and 6 until 8 pm. Visitation will continue in the funeral home on Monday, July 10, 2017 from 9 until 10 am followed by a blessing service at 10:00 am with Father James Tringhese officiating. Interment will follow in Lafayette Memorial Park.

Memories and condolences may be shared with the family at http://adferguson.com/?status=cond&cont2=read&id=17572 and on the funeral home Facebook page.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:01 am

Wow George, I am really sorry to hear this. I had the privilege of meeting John at an Elvis convention in Pittsburgh many many years ago. He was so kind and I still remember buying original photos off of him from the New Years Eve show at the time. I have enjoyed the conversations you and I have had over the years as well and wish I would have had the chance to get to know John a little better. We didn't live that far from each other since he lived in Uniontown, PA and I lived in Pittsburgh at the time before I moved in 2015. I will keep you, John, and his family in my prayers and sure hope such "an avid Elvis fan" as the obituary says can now spend time with him each day!

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:53 am

YDKM wrote::( Very sorry to read this and a sad loss-he (obviously) was a true fan & tremendous man :D

Another link to the Elvis world passes on.
Very sad.
RIP John Herman.
:(

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:33 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Here you are, in memory of the super Elvis fan Mr. John Herman! ::rocks.

Thanks, Mike. It's great to hear this again. Very good quality.

I love it when he says "it's the first five records I cut".

Good memory, twenty years after the fact.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:02 pm

George Sorry to hear about John's passing

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:41 am

Very moving tribute; may Mr. Herman rest in peace. It was emotional reading for me Greybeard, your love for him really comes across. Sincere condolences to you.

JosephC

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:36 am

Rest in peace. Mr. Herman. I never understood that one of my fondest Elvis memories from two very close buddies. Thank you very much.

Greybeard, we obviously don´t know each other, but i would like say that - amongst his family and friends - you very much loved and miss a close friend, now. that is always hard. But time will bring you back together. Be strong and have faith.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

R.I.P John - New Year's Eve is and will always be one of my favorite FTD's (and Elvis albums in general).