Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

SuperFan John Herman passes away

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:21 pm

It is with a heavy heart that I am to announce the passing of Mr. John Herman on this day.

John's only child, Debbie, messaged me this afternoon and asked me to pass the sad news to the Elvis world about her Dad.

John was a loving husband and father. He has One granddaughter. John served as a policeman in the town he lived in his entire adult life- Uniontown, Pennsylvania.

John was an Elvis fan from the very beginning. He told me the stories of how he tried to buy the records by the kid with the strange name back in '55. The label and the kids name were strange to the shop owners who served him at that time. Soon the names of Sun Records and its most illustrious artist -Elvis Presley would be on the lips of people everywhere.

I met John around 1974. we met by my answering an ad he placed in some publication. I wrote to him and we became quick "pen pals". A thing most people today know nothing about.

After a bit we began sharing phone calls and Elvis stories. We also shared any and all Elvis items we came across. No money or trade item was ever needed. If he had something he shared with me and I returned the favor. Prices were never an issue as we knew all would work out in the end.

He gave me my first Sun Records- a 78 rpm of "BABY LET"S PLAY HOUSE'. Gave, not sold! He gave me much, much more- he gave me his friendship...we were like brothers.

John was able to get inside the world of Elvis. He counted among his friends the Stanley's, Dick Grob, John Wilkerson, Bill Porter, Felton Jarvis and others. He had personal contact and conversations with Elvis himself. He relayed many stories of those conversations with me over the years. He attended Elvis' funeral and was inside Graceland before the throngs of people were left in. He had great experiences and memories to share.

He relayed the stories of those conversations and phone calls with Elvis to me over the years.

Once Elvis found out John was a police officer, Elvis took a liking to him. Elvis even had John work some security for him during some shows- one that comes to mind is Dayton, Ohio. John always laughed when he told the story of trying to grab backstage photos and being told to get to work by The Colonels henchmen.

John is probably most famous for capturing the legendary Pittsburgh New Years eve recording. He later sold that tape to FTD in a deal I brokered for him. Whenever you hear that show, or see the fantastic front on film with the great waist up images he shot, or look at some of his great pictures from that event....always remember my friend. He certainly was a busy cat that night and we are all the better for that.

He also took some outstanding photos in Vegas in December 1975 & 1976...most don't give him credit for those but I know which ones he snapped. They are outstanding.

Times were difficult for my friend in his retirement years. It was a sore spot whenever we would see people reaping benefit from film he shot or images he photographed knowing they made money from them. He shared those things freely and when he needed it most others took advantage of his gifts.

We spent many, many hours on the phone talking Elvis & life. I will treasure those memories.

Rest easy my friend....you are with those who have gone on before us. Someday we will all be together once more and we will form the audience that will once again be entertained by Elvis- just like we used to.

God speed...Rest In Peace
My friend, my brother John Herman

Love you buddy

John Herman's obituary will appear this Friday on the Facebook page of FERGUSON FUNERAL HOME (Uniontown, Pa)
Please log in and leave a message if possible- let his family know the Elvis fans appreciated him.
Thank You
I will post any other info I can as it comes to me

Johns service is Sunday July 9 at Ferguson Funeral Home,80 Morgantown St, Uniontown, PA 15401
Sunday visitation 2pm until 4 pm also 6pm until 8pm
Funeral Service is Monday July 10 9am until 10am followed by interment at Lafayette Memorial Park

https://www.facebook.com/Andrew-D-Fergu ... 209882808/
Last edited by Greybeard on Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: SuperFan John Herman passes away

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:26 pm

Sad news. My condolences to you Greybeard.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 pm

:( Very sorry to read this and a sad loss-he (obviously) was a true fan & tremendous man :D

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:28 pm

I'm very sorry to hear the loss of your friend.

My condolences to you and John's family.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:31 pm

Very sad news.

Best wishes to his family and friends at this difficult time.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:45 pm

Beautifully written about your friend, Greybird. May he rest in peace. My condolensces to bis family and you.

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:50 pm

Oh my God. I am very sorry and sad to hear this.
My condolences to all his family and you George.
I remember the phone calls, the writing letters with him.
the many stories he told me.

He was a great man. Thank you John for everything.

I have no words. :cry:

R.I.P. John :mrgreen:

Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 pm

Sorry to hear about John's passing. I only met him once in 1978 at the ALWAYS ELVIS convention. He was there with his mother! He was a very quiet guy when we spoke on the phone back in 1977 - 1979 and he was the same in person. We used to trade records although I seem to recall his mother being the most involved in the trades. When I found out he was a police officer I was kinda shocked as he seemed way too docile to be in this line of work.

I had no idea he met Elvis and had any involvement with Elvis' friends but I'm sure he loved that,

John was one of at least 8 people who supplied Sam and me with tapes for the NEW YEARS EVE LP we did. Honestly I never knew whose we ended up using as they all sounded very similar but most people think it was his tape we used.

Anyway, it's a real shame to lose John. He died way too soon.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am

Very sad news I am sorry for the loss of your friend Greybeard, I am thankful that he recorded the Pittsburg show for us all to enjoy so many years later RIP

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:25 am

Sorry for your loss, may John R.I.P.!

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:37 am

RIP John. His contribution to our fandom will always be appreciated.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:44 am

Very sad news :cry:. R.I.P Sir John Herman!.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:51 am

My condolences to you Greybeard, to his daughter Debbie and the rest of John's family and friends...

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:54 am

Many Thanks For The Elvis Memories Sir.
May you Rest In Peace.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:07 am

Rip john herman

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 am

Sad to hear, thank you for posting, Greybeard.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:42 am

This is a beautiful tribute to a wonderful fan and clearly a very good guy.

My thoughts and prayers are with John's family tonight.

Thank you so much.

Greybeard wrote:It is with a heavy heart that I am to announce the passing of Mr. John Herman on this day.

John's only child, Debbie, messaged me this afternoon and asked me to pass the sad news to the Elvis world about her Dad.

John was a loving husband and father. He has One granddaughter. John served as a policeman in the town he lived in his entire adult life- Uniontown, Pennsylvania.

John was an Elvis fan from the very beginning. He told me the stories of how he tried to buy the records by the kid with the strange name back in '55. The label and the kids name were strange to the shop owners who served him at that time. Soon the names of Sun Records and its most illustrious artist -Elvis Presley would be on the lips of people everywhere.

I met John around 1974. we met by my answering an ad he placed in some publication. I wrote to him and we became quick "pen pals". A thing most people today know nothing about.

After a bit we began sharing phone calls and Elvis stories. We also shared any and all Elvis items we came across. No money or trade item was ever needed. If he had something he shared with me and I returned the favor. Prices were never an issue as we knew all would work out in the end.

He gave me my first Sun Records- a 78 rpm of "BABY LET"S PLAY HOUSE'. Gave, not sold! He gave me much, much more- he gave me his friendship...we were like brothers.

John was able to get inside the world of Elvis. He counted among his friends the Stanley's, Dick Grob, John Wilkerson, Bill Porter, Felton Jarvis and others. He had personal contact and conversations with Elvis himself. He relayed many stories of those conversations with me over the years. He attended Elvis' funeral and was inside Graceland before the throngs of people were left in. He had great experiences and memories to share.

He relayed the stories of those conversations and phone calls with Elvis to me over the years.

Once Elvis found out John was a police officer, Elvis took a liking to him. Elvis even had John work some security for him during some shows- one that comes to mind is Dayton, Ohio. John always laughed when he told the story of trying to grab backstage photos and being told to get to work by The Colonels henchmen.

John is probably most famous for capturing the legendary Pittsburgh New Years eve recording. He later sold that tape to FTD in a deal I brokered for him. Whenever you hear that show, or see the fantastic front on film with the great waist up images he shot, or look at some of his great pictures from that event....always remember my friend. He certainly was a busy cat that night and we are all the better for that.

He also took some outstanding photos in Vegas in December 1975 & 1976...most don't give him credit for those but I know which ones he snapped. They are outstanding.

Times were difficult for my friend in his retirement years. It was a sore spot whenever we would see people reaping benefit from film he shot or images he photographed knowing they made money from them. He shared those things freely and when he needed it most others took advantage of his gifts.

We spent many, many hours on the phone talking Elvis & life. I will treasure those memories.

Rest easy my friend....you are with those who have gone on before us. Someday we will all be together once more and we will form the audience that will once again be entertained by Elvis- just like we used to.

God speed...Rest In Peace
My friend, my brother John Herman

Love you buddy

John Herman's obituary will appear this Friday on the Facebook page of FERGUSON FUNERAL HOME (Uniontown, Pa)
Please log in and leave a message if possible- let his family know the Elvis fans appreciated him.
Thank You
I will post any other info I can as it comes to me

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:09 am

My condolences on the loss of a huge Elvis fan...and your good friend.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:48 am

I'm going to give this a spin tomorrow in John's honor... RIP

Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:09 am

MartyMcFly wrote:Beautifully written about your friend, Greybird. May he rest in peace. My condolensces to bis family and you.

Nothing more to add.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:04 am

Sad news
R.I.P. John
My heartfelt sympathy ,condolonsces and prayers sent to his family and to you Greybeard my friend :cry:

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:29 am

I share the sentiments and my thoughts are with you Greybeard and with Johns family at this very sad time. It is lovely that you have shared your experience and memories of a nice, genuine man and true friend to you and the Elvis world. So sorry for your loss
NYE 76 is a precious gift from John that I know is appreciated by so many around the world. It was my first experience of a "proper" full concert by Elvis which i heard first when I was about 12. I will be forever thankful and grateful to John for that
I had another CD in mind to listen to tonight but I will give FTD Pittsburgh a spin in his honour and toast you both with a glass of wine this evening in the UK

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:42 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I'm going to give this a spin tomorrow in John's honor... RIP

The first boot LP I ever bought. I treasured it.

Say hello to Elvis for us, Mr. Herman.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 pm

What a wonderful heartfelt tribute you have paid to your friend Greybeard, it's clear us fans owe John a great debt.

I noticed this old thread also discussing his legacy and contacts with Elvis.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=82292

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Sorry to hear this sad news Greybeard. RIP Mr. Herman.