Footage: Elvis on the set of GI Blues (5 minute clip)

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 11 years 11 months

Footage: Elvis on the set of GI Blues (5 minute clip)

Post by MikeFromHolland »

As posted on YouTube by thekinolibrary on May 17, 2017:

From the Kinolibrary Archive Film collections. To order the clip clean and high res or to find out more visit http://www.kinolibrary.com. Clip ref. BF100303-004522.

BONUS

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Mister Moon

Re: Footage: Elvis on the set of GI Blues (5 minute clip)

Post by Mister Moon »

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

From the Kinolibrary Archive Film collections. To order the clip clean and high res or to find out more visit http://www.kinolibrary.com. Clip ref. BF100303-004522.

BONUS

These clips are new to me. Thanks, Mike !

The first one depicts Elvis filming some scenes for the movie, and meeting some members of the European royalty. I'm sure somebody will be able to point out exactly who they were. But he appears to be very uncomfortable with them.

By the way, I think there's a speed problem with the first clip. It runs a bit faster than it should - probably having to do with a bad transfer.

Oh, and there's Jerry Lewis making faces. Ugh.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Mister Moon wrote: The first one depicts Elvis filming some scenes for the movie, and meeting some members of the European royalty. I'm sure somebody will be able to point out exactly who they were.
Thanks!

These ladies were the princesses of Norway, Sweden and Denmark on June 7, 1960.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

matilda
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by matilda »

Elvis was always uncomfortable when forced meeting celebrities , be it the Royals here or the Beatles in 1965 (it wasn't his idea, it was Parkers as a publicity stunt. If he loved the Beatles that much like somebody here falsely claims he would have followed their invitation in return to visit them the next day at their house.)

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

MikeFromHolland wrote:These ladies were the princesses of Norway, Sweden and Denmark on June 7, 1960.
Thanks, Mike !

Here are the full detais about these women :

Princess Astrid, Mrs. Ferner (Astrid Maud Ingeborg; born 12 February 1932 in Oslo, Norway) is the second daughter of King Olav V of Norway and his wife, Princess Märtha of Sweden. She is the older sister of King Harald V of Norway and younger sister of the late Princess Ragnhild.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Astrid,_Mrs._Ferner

Margrethe II (Margrethe Alexandrine Þórhildur Ingrid; born 16 April 1940) is the Queen of Denmark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrethe_II_of_Denmark

Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler, (Margaretha Désirée Victoria; born 31 October 1934) is a Swedish princess, the eldest sister of King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and also first cousin of Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Margaretha,_Mrs._Ambler

elvisa
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by elvisa »

MikeFromHolland wrote:
Mister Moon wrote: The first one depicts Elvis filming some scenes for the movie, and meeting some members of the European royalty. I'm sure somebody will be able to point out exactly who they were.
Thanks!

These ladies were the princesses of Norway, Sweden and Denmark on June 7, 1960.

The one to the left(In flowered dress) is Princess Margrethe. She became queen of Denmark on 15 January 1972, after her father King Frederik died the day before.

" Elvis music is how feelings sound like "

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
MikeFromHolland wrote:.

BONUS

From one Mike to another Mike, fantastic! 8). Thank you for sharing ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

MikeFromHolland wrote:As posted on YouTube by thekinolibrary on May 17, 2017:

BONUS

Nice find. Elvis doing the PR thing with international visitors to the set. You can see various people in the Presley segment, including director Norman Taurog, producer Hal Wallis and choreographer Charles O'Curran. The bit at the end with comedian Jerry Lewis must have come from the same day at Paramount. Lewis was finishing up on his latest comedy, "The Bellboy."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Some color pics from the event:
1960 06 07 01.jpg
1960 06 07 02.jpg
1960 06 07 03.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Also some old footage of the visit from the King and Queen of Thailand to the set of GI Blues in May 1960:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

poppii
Deactivated: At users request
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

Post by poppii »

All going on here....I have seen these pics years ago in the UK papers .....it was so exciting as anybody seeing Elvis was unheard of so this was NEWS.
There are other pics of Elvis with the King and Queen of Nepal and another pair of Royals .....King Bhumipol Rama and Queen Sirikit....of Thailand.
Elvis is wearing the GI uniform and looks to be the same time span.
Who can blame them ??
I was reading a book and one of Elvis' co stars was presented to the British Queen Elizabeth and apparently she asked about Elvis....???

ACF250D.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

poppii on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:05 pm wrote:All going on here....I have seen these pics years ago in the UK papers .....it was so exciting as anybody seeing Elvis was unheard of so this was NEWS.
There are other pics of Elvis with the King and Queen of Nepal and another pair of Royals .....King Bhumipol Rama and Queen Sirikit....of Thailand.
Elvis is wearing the GI uniform and looks to be the same time span.
Who can blame them ??
I was reading a book and one of Elvis' co stars was presented to the British Queen Elizabeth and apparently she asked about Elvis....???

ACF250D.jpg

Thanks! Please, also see this topic:

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=94085&p=1510106&hilit=thailand#p1510106

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

poppii

Post by poppii »

Thanks .

Seems a lot of royals wanted to meet Elvis . Juliet Prowse seems to be just an extra in the pics.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

All the above would be a nice bonus feature on a BluRay release of the film.

Greybeard

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by Jaime1234 »

When I was in Denmark, in 2006 and for reasons of my work, I established contact with my opposite number, a delightful old Lady who was then the Queen's Chief of Protocol. Five minutes after having been introduced to her, while we waited for others to arrive for a meeting, I simply took out of my jacket's top pocket a photo I had taken with me and showed it to her. To my horror, LOL, she identified herself in the photo, can you imagine?? She was, in June of 1960, a junior protocol officer, the one partly covered by the hat of Princess Astrid of Norway, who is, of the three Princesses, the one in the middle. She then told me that there are two things the Queen does with regularity, one is listen to Elvis and the other is to chain smoke. LOL https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/d0/f7/3bd0f736c38ad6fa1f8b03d2da85c206.jpg

poppii

Post by poppii »

Jaime1234 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:56 pm wrote:When I was in Denmark, in 2006 and for reasons of my work, I established contact with my opposite number, a delightful old Lady who was then the Queen's Chief of Protocol. Five minutes after having been introduced to her, while we waited for others to arrive for a meeting, I simply took out of my jacket's top pocket a photo I had taken with me and showed it to her. To my horror, LOL, she identified herself in the photo, can you imagine?? She was, in June of 1960, a junior protocol officer, the one partly covered by the hat of Princess Astrid of Norway, who is, of the three Princesses, the one in the middle. She then told me that there are two things the Queen does with regularity, one is listen to Elvis and the other is to chain smoke. LOL https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/d0/f7/3bd0f736c38ad6fa1f8b03d2da85c206.jpg
My word Jaime....me thinks you have led an interesting life.
I wonder how many other royals Elvis met . I seem to remember seeing pics of him with the Belguim royals or Dutch ones as well if anybody knows about that. It goes to show you his charisma that they are all looking to him and the others are mere bystanders

Topic author
MikeFromHolland

Jaime1234 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:56 am wrote:When I was in Denmark, in 2006 and for reasons of my work, I established contact with my opposite number, a delightful old Lady who was then the Queen's Chief of Protocol. Five minutes after having been introduced to her, while we waited for others to arrive for a meeting, I simply took out of my jacket's top pocket a photo I had taken with me and showed it to her. To my horror, LOL, she identified herself in the photo, can you imagine?? She was, in June of 1960, a junior protocol officer, the one partly covered by the hat of Princess Astrid of Norway, who is, of the three Princesses, the one in the middle. She then told me that there are two things the Queen does with regularity, one is listen to Elvis and the other is to chain smoke. LOL https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/d0/f7/3bd0f736c38ad6fa1f8b03d2da85c206.jpg

Great story! What a coincidence!

Another one with the King and Queen of Thailand
EP.jpg

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

By the way, did the Aloha show was broadcasted in Thailand in January 1973?

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

poppii on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:21 am wrote:
Jaime1234 on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:56 pm wrote:When I was in Denmark, in 2006 and for reasons of my work, I established contact with my opposite number, a delightful old Lady who was then the Queen's Chief of Protocol. Five minutes after having been introduced to her, while we waited for others to arrive for a meeting, I simply took out of my jacket's top pocket a photo I had taken with me and showed it to her. To my horror, LOL, she identified herself in the photo, can you imagine?? She was, in June of 1960, a junior protocol officer, the one partly covered by the hat of Princess Astrid of Norway, who is, of the three Princesses, the one in the middle. She then told me that there are two things the Queen does with regularity, one is listen to Elvis and the other is to chain smoke. LOL https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3b/d0/f7/3bd0f736c38ad6fa1f8b03d2da85c206.jpg
I wonder how many other royals Elvis met . I seem to remember seeing pics of him with the Belguim royals or Dutch ones as well if anybody knows about that. It goes to show you his charisma that they are all looking to him and the others are mere bystanders
Apart from the three Princesses of Denmark, Norway and Sweden, as well as the then reigning Kings and Queens of both Thailand and Nepal, all of whom he met during the filming of "GI Blues", there are no other references of him meeting with any other royals, but he did meet with the sitting First Lady of Brazil and his oldest daughter, Ms. Sarah and Marcia Kubitschek also in June of 1960 and at the Paramount studios. A year later, he met President Sukarno of Indonesia, during the filming of "Blue Hawaii ". After his death, some royals, former, sitting and future Heads of State have visited Graceland, namely Princess Elizabeth of the old Yugoslavia, Albert II, Prince of Monaco, Prince William and Prince Harry of the House of Windsor, former and twice elected Costa Rican President, as well as Nobel Prize for Peace winner Oscar Arias, in addition to former US Presidents Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush, the latter visiting Graceland during his second term in the company of First Lady Laura Bush and the then Prime Minister of Japan, Junishiro Koizumi.

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

Jaime1234 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:56 am wrote:
poppii on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:21 am wrote:
Apart from the three Princesses of Denmark, Norway and Sweden, as well as the then reigning Kings and Queens of both Thailand and Nepal, all of whom he met during the filming of "GI Blues", there are no other references of him meeting with any other royals, but he did meet with the sitting First Lady of Brazil and his oldest daughter, Mses. Sarah and Marcia Kubitschek also in June of 1960 and at the Paramount studios. A year later, he met President Sukarno of Indonesia, during the filming of "Blue Hawaii ". After his death, some royals, former, sitting and future Heads of State have visited Graceland, namely Princess Elizabeth of the old Yugoslavia of the Houses of Karageorgevich and Glücksburg, Albert II, Prince of Monaco of the House of Grimaldi and his then future wife, now Princess Charlene, William and Prince Harry of the House of Windsor, former and twice elected Costa Rican President, as well as Nobel Prize for Peace winner Oscar Arias, in addition to former US Presidents Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush, the latter visiting Graceland during his second term in the company of First Lady Laura Bush and the then Prime Minister of Japan, Junishiro Koizumi. As far as I can see, the only part of the world not represented is Oceania, but as there have been several former Heads of State of Australia, New Zealand and Fiji who are Elvis fans, the likelihood that one of them will one day visit Graceland is not so far fetched.