Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Girl Happy

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Dan_T wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Don't know the interview, where and when was it televised?

And how does using that sobriquet in an interview mean that everyone knew "Elvis in 1964 was still: 'Lean, Mean & Kickin´Butts'"? Again, asking for a friend.
You do know the interview cause I posted it some months back and you remarked on it.

You didn't say "everyone" you said "how comes no one knew in 1964 noticed" You should let your friend ask for himself, he might be better at it than you :wink:

It's a blanket statement. I recall the comment now. You posted this 10-17-1964 "American Bandstand" interview with Bobby Darin to support the idea that "Elvis was still regarded as 'The King' during this period and every period after that..."

I replied, "Not quite sure what this means. If you're saying people heard the new single 'Do The Clam' in March 1965 and went 'Yeah, THE KING!' I doubt that."

If you listen to Darin's brief aside, he uses the sobriquet in reference to Elvis' breakthrough nine years before, while discussing the Beatles, who were actually the ones many in 1964 would call "lean, mean and kicking butt." Bobby calls them "brilliant." Smart guy!

"When the king, Presley, broke through ..."

I'll let my friend know that your video does not change the fact no one noticed Elvis the same way that year.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Darin also stated the Beatles were four and Elvis was one.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

Juan Luis wrote:Darin also stated the Beatles were four and Elvis was one.
You mean he was that observant. Is there any relevance in that. I mean Elvis did have The Jordanaires most of the time.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by jetblack »

Elvis was definitely noticed on May 5, 1965 when 'Shindig' paid tribute to him for the entire show. :)

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

The Darin comments don't really hold up given that it was the Beatles that he paid tribute to with a seven munute medley in his live shows.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
musiclover1979 wrote:I also saw Roustabout around that time on VHS and thought Elvis looked cool in his leather jacket.
Agree, he almost had the looks like in King Creole. Elvis in 1964 was still: "Lean, Mean & Kickin´Butts"
How come no one in 1964 noticed? Asking for a friend.
You don´t have any friend left to ask? :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

emjel wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Darin also stated the Beatles were four and Elvis was one.
You mean he was that observant. Is there any relevance in that. I mean Elvis did have The Jordanaires most of the time.
Very plain to see what he meant.

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Dan_T wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Don't know the interview, where and when was it televised?

And how does using that sobriquet in an interview mean that everyone knew "Elvis in 1964 was still: 'Lean, Mean & Kickin´Butts'"? Again, asking for a friend.
You do know the interview cause I posted it some months back and you remarked on it.

You didn't say "everyone" you said "how comes no one knew in 1964 noticed" You should let your friend ask for himself, he might be better at it than you :wink:

It's a blanket statement. I recall the comment now. You posted this 10-17-1964 "American Bandstand" interview with Bobby Darin to support the idea that "Elvis was still regarded as 'The King' during this period and every period after that..."

I replied, "Not quite sure what this means. If you're saying people heard the new single 'Do The Clam' in March 1965 and went 'Yeah, THE KING!' I doubt that."

If you listen to Darin's brief aside, he uses the sobriquet in reference to Elvis' breakthrough nine years before, while discussing the Beatles, who were actually the ones many in 1964 would call "lean, mean and kicking butt." Bobby calls them "brilliant." Smart guy!

"When the king, Presley, broke through ..."

I'll let my friend know that your video does not change the fact no one noticed Elvis the same way that year.
He does indeed refer to his break through, but still referred to him in the present tense as "The King" He could have said "When Presley was King" hope that helps your shy friend...bless him... ;)

MikeFromHolland
Registered for: 12 years

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
musiclover1979 wrote:I also saw Roustabout around that time on VHS and thought Elvis looked cool in his leather jacket.
Agree, he almost had the looks like in King Creole. Elvis in 1964 was still: "Lean, Mean & Kickin´Butts" 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Reminds me of this outfit as well:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

jetblack wrote:Elvis was definitely noticed on May 5, 1965 when 'Shindig' paid tribute to him for the entire show. :)

Andy

Yes I saw that original broadcast back then and I was really surprised,

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

As several agree on the looks Elvis had on Roustabout, we could easily call it "King Creole" Part 2 8). Elvis was still Lean, Mean & Kickin´Butts in 1964 at the height of the Beatles invasion! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 11 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Mike Windgren wrote:As several agree on the looks Elvis had on Roustabout, we could easily call it "King Creole" Part 2
I enjoy Roustabout...but if someone said this to me they would get this look; :shock:

:lol:

jenny.1950
Registered for: 11 years 5 months

Post by jenny.1950 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Very nice post, but I disagree that one should be satisfied with the soundtrack in the context of the film. All were released into the retail market in 1965, and all under Elvis' name, one which had great stature in the industry. If he didn't want to bear the brunt of very accurate criticism over the substandard nature of virtually every track, they should not have been promoted and sold on 45 and LP. The marketplace was bursting with exciting records, and both Presley and RCA were well aware of it. But the focus was not on quality, or impressions, but making a buck.

Releasing a single A-side of "Do The Clam" in 1965 says it all.
"Do The Clam" was in the charts along with "Ticket To Ride" and "Mrs Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" on the east coast of Australia. It peaked from No 4 down to No 12 in various cities.

I used to listen to evening radio and they would give about a two hour lead up to the new Elvis song, promoting it every few minutes, and then talk over and end so that other stations couldn't tape it to play when they had it exclusively. That includes "Do The Clam" and "Kissin' Cousins". The stations fought each other for the right to play Elvis before the others because they knew he always drew a strong audience to them.

drjohncarpenter

sweetangeline wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:As several agree on the looks Elvis had on Roustabout, we could easily call it "King Creole" Part 2
I enjoy Roustabout...but if someone said this to me they would get this look; :shock:

:lol:
Well, that's because you live in the real world.

Furthermore, I don't recall director Michael Curtiz putting his star in a leather jacket for even one minute of "King Creole."

jenny.1950 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Very nice post, but I disagree that one should be satisfied with the soundtrack in the context of the film. All were released into the retail market in 1965, and all under Elvis' name, one which had great stature in the industry. If he didn't want to bear the brunt of very accurate criticism over the substandard nature of virtually every track, they should not have been promoted and sold on 45 and LP. The marketplace was bursting with exciting records, and both Presley and RCA were well aware of it. But the focus was not on quality, or impressions, but making a buck.

Releasing a single A-side of "Do The Clam" in 1965 says it all.
"Do The Clam" was in the charts along with "Ticket To Ride" and "Mrs Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter" on the east coast of Australia. It peaked from No 4 down to No 12 in various cities.
We know that, during Elvis' sixties slide, a record might do well in a foreign market, despite the product being awful. But fifty-plus years later, only "Ticket To Ride" is remembered, honored and celebrated.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TCBell

Post by TCBell »

Just to keep the record straight... Elvis wears a leather jacket in King Creole. See him putting it on just after singing 'Trouble'.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
We know that, during Elvis' sixties slide, a record might do well in a foreign market, despite the product being awful. But fifty-plus years later, only "Ticket To Ride" is remembered, honored and celebrated.
Ticket To Ride is better than Do The Clam. Do The Clam is better than Yellow Submarine. 8)

drjohncarpenter

TCBell wrote:Just to keep the record straight... Elvis wears a leather jacket in King Creole. See him putting it on just after singing 'Trouble'.
Can you provide a screen grab? I do not recall him wearing anything like the black leather jacket seen in "Roustabout," which is the comparison being made here by someone else.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

As several agree on the looks Elvis had on Roustabout, we could easily call it "King Creole" Part 2 8). Elvis was still Lean, Mean & Kickin´Butts in 1964 at the height of the Beatles invasion! :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Right, Elvis in Roustabout, lean, mean and kicking butt singing Carny Town, Wheels On My Heels and other nonsense while riding a Honda. Im sure The Beatles & Stones were very worried at the time

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by L Ray »

yes he did have a leather jacket in King Creole. It is in the scene where he takes Dolores Hart to the hotel. If you look at the back of the KC album, there is a pic from this scene.

drjohncarpenter

L Ray wrote:yes he did have a leather jacket in King Creole. It is in the scene where he takes Dolores Hart to the hotel. If you look at the back of the KC album, there is a pic from this scene.
Can you provide a scan?

Again, I do not recall him wearing anything like the black leather jacket seen in "Roustabout," which is the comparison being made here by someone else. It's clear that this person was reaching to make a non-existent analogy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

If I were told "Well, that's because you live in the real world", I would feel embarrassed to get selected while insulting the rest of the group.

Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
L Ray wrote:yes he did have a leather jacket in King Creole. It is in the scene where he takes Dolores Hart to the hotel. If you look at the back of the KC album, there is a pic from this scene.
Can you provide a scan?

Again, I do not recall him wearing anything like the black leather jacket seen in "Roustabout," which is the comparison being made here by someone else. .
Nope. L Ray clearly states "a leather Jacket". He made no mention that the jacket must be "like the black leather jacket seen in "Roustabout".

Hope this helps! ::rocks

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

Leather Jacket, King Creole.

drjohncarpenter

Dan_T wrote:Leather Jacket, King Creole.

Thanks for confirming my memory that Elvis did not wear anything like the black leather jacket seen in "Roustabout."

Reaching is a favorite pastime for some here, not for me. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Dan_T wrote:Leather Jacket, King Creole.

And it was found important enough to use for advertising.