Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

feb 70

Fri May 16, 2003 3:05 pm

Are there any full concerts from then or is it just all the same stuff from on stage live in las vegas box set and so on they seem to have been released so many times (which is a bit of a rip off) that there cant be any more

Fri May 16, 2003 4:05 pm

Some soundboard recordings have been bootlegged. “True Love Travels On A Gravel Road” (released by two different labels Cupido and Laurel) featured the first part of Elvis’ closing show from February 23, 1970, and the second part of Elvis’ opening show January 26, 1970. The first half of the opening show was issued on the Fort Baxter CD “Walk A Mile in My Shoes”, whilst further performances from the closing show were issued on the Fort Baxter CD “Electrifying” which also included rehearsal material from July 1970.

RCA/BMG’s 1999 re-issue of the “On Stage” album was somewhat different from the original “On Stage, February, 1970” album release, as the tracks were released without the additional overdubs that Felton Jarvis added to the original album in Nashville during March/April 1970. Different dialogue fills were also used. The “Live In Las Vegas” box set included the entire 1999 version of “On Stage” except for the two 1969 performances “Yesterday/Hey Jude” and “Runaway”. Undubbed masters of the RCA recordings used for the original album can also be found on the Captain Marvel release; “Good Times Never Seemed So Good”.

An alternate take of “Let It Be Me “ was issued on the album “Elvis – A Legendary Performer Volume Three” in 1978, whilst last years box set “Today, Tomorrow and Forever” included fine alternate performances of See See Rider”, “Polk Salad Annie”, and “”Walk A Mile In My Shoes”. RCA didn’t record complete concerts during February 1970, but numerous recordings were made between February 16 – 19, and there is probably enough material left in the vaults for an FTD release of the best performances from this period.

Fri May 16, 2003 4:52 pm

thanks for that ive just bought the updated 1999 version so ive already
got it all on the live in las vegas box set great!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

Fri May 16, 2003 9:31 pm

As usual your reply was thorough and insightful, rockinrebel, and it's a pleasure to read your contributions. In fact, they're usually print-ready,
that's the biggest compliment I can give anyone on the Elvis topic. Keep up the good job, it's appreciated.

Sat May 17, 2003 9:09 pm

Thanks for the kind words James.

Sun May 18, 2003 12:41 am

If you can pick up "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road" jump on it. The sound is not all it could be but this is one of my favorite bootlegs. Not only is Elvis in top form, not only does it contain the original performances of future classics like "Polk Salad", "See See Rider", and "Sweet Caroline" and not only is there a top flight version of the rarely performed title track but, the 50s hits are done well. There has never been a better live version of "All Shook Up". Performed with a blazing intensity and aggression it rocks- hard.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:21 pm

I've been enjoying that live version of "True Love Travels on a Gravel Road" lately. I love that extra "umph" or step he added in it.
If it wasn't for the low-fidelity, it would almost out-rank the studio
version.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:58 pm

The bootleg ''Good Times Never Seemed So Good'''contains the ''original'' material from ''On Stage'' without added instruments and no cutting in the dialogue. Of course we've had FTD's ''Polk Salad Annie'' last year, so i dont expect any other material on short notice.

Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:45 pm

Moody Blue wrote:thanks for that ive just bought the updated 1999 version so ive already
got it all on the live in las vegas box set great!!!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :(

No, you have th two 69 songs on the CD that's not on the box, right? And I have heard differing opinions on which one sounds better.

Axe

Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:31 pm

Axe, Moody's been, well, moody for two years.
I don't expect
he'll respond. :lol:

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:40 pm

True Love Travles on a Gravel Road was the first Elvis import I put into my iPod. What a great disc!!!

My hope is that the remaining unreleased songs from the Feb. 23, 1970 CS surface soon. Actually, I need to get a copy of Bilko's Gold cuts fro Sweet Caroline. Anybody out there interested in trading a CDr of this for something in my collection?

Thanks,
Mike C

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:44 pm

Mike, I just got TRUE LOVE TRAVELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD last week
in a swap! Great stuff - I'd only heard it on the net previously.

They can officially issue all of Elvis' 69-70 work in a big ol' box
set, as far as I'm concerned. The guy had it all then!

Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:16 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Mike, I just got TRUE LOVE TRAVELS ON A GRAVEL ROAD last week
in a swap! Great stuff - I'd only heard it on the net previously.

They can officially issue all of Elvis' 69-70 work in a big ol' box
set, as far as I'm concerned. The guy had it all then!

Yeah, its a great disc. I actually have both the Cupido and Laurel versions - I find Laurel's to sound better.

Do you have Bilko's gold cuts? If yes, can I swap with you.

Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:02 pm

Don't have it yet. Just a rank amateur, I mean, beginner, by and large
when it comes to owning boots, but I have sampled them by download...