Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

emjel

Re: 50 Years Ago: IT WON'T BE LONG!

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:
emjel wrote:
Yes it inspired me too, but I couldn't connect with the 50 years ago part. I was thinking more like 54 years as I pulled out my With The Beatles album and started playing It Wont Be Long.

I guess the album sleeve for Double Trouble showed a bit of creativity although repeating the exact same photos on the back seemed a bit of what appeared to be a money saving process.

City By Night is a great track and has a real book feel. I wish Elvis had done an album of songs in a similar vein. There Is So Much a World To See is good, but the version with the extra verse is much better. Could never figure out why they dropped the verse. They did a similar thing with One Broken Heart For Sale and whilst not one of the best singles, I think it sold poorly because of its very short running time, but I still like it. Brings back lots of memories of listening to Pick Of The Pops on a Sunday afternoon.

The Double Trouble album in general was still poor by Elvis standards though, with 9 of the tracks running for less than 2 minutes. Peaking at 47 on Billboard and 34 in the UK was disappointing but not surprising. Even the fans could not lift it into higher positions. Apparently, Elvis did not like it or any other of the recent soundtrack albums and neither did the general record buyers which was the only thing they had in common with Elvis at the time.

Very nice to see all of the ads and promo stuff and I particularly liked seeing the album sleeve with the stickered info about "no more mono release". Cannot say I have ever seen that before so a good piece of historical info there so well done in locating that. HTN - is there a chance you can do a book on that type of thing or is that not a viable project. I am sure it would be quite interesting to have all of that stuff in one place.
You are obsessed with the running times of songs. These 1950's songs run for less than 2 minutes also so I don't see you point.

That's All Right
Teddy Bear
I Beg Of You
Hard headed Woman
I Got Stung

It can't be an emjel thread unless he mentions The Beatles too. There were other groups around in the 1960's too.

Andy
If you care to take a look at Page 1, Mister Moon mentioned a similar thing albeit a different Beatles album (whoops, sorry but I mentioned it again).

I mean how much sense would it make if I mentioned Hermans Hermis or The Shadows - did they record a song with the title It Wont Be Long. So there has to be a connection toon you see. A bit like the song, Its Only Love, but I'll let you figure that out.

Regarding the length of songs, we are now in the later part of the 60s where most songs ran for over 2 minutes and in many cases, considerably longer. It's something called offering good value for money.

And it's not an emjel thread - it's an emjel post or comment.
Next.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

The first mention of The Beatles in this thread appeared in the very first post :
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Tragically, the newly written song (not the previous bubblegum tune by the Fab Four) was cut from the film at the 11th hour.
Hence my post in page 1 :
Mister Moon wrote:I will stick to the opening song on The Beatles' second album.

Anybody in 1963 would have killed to have an album track like that.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote: If you care to take a look at Page 1, Mister Moon mentioned a similar thing albeit a different Beatles album (whoops, sorry but I mentioned it again).

I mean how much sense would it make if I mentioned Hermans Hermis or The Shadows - did they record a song with the title It Wont Be Long. So there has to be a connection toon you see. A bit like the song, Its Only Love, but I'll let you figure that out.
Happy to see you are indeed aware of other groups - I think 'Help' is the album you are hinting at (now you got me doing it) :shock:
emjel wrote: Regarding the length of songs, we are now in the later part of the 60s where most songs ran for over 2 minutes and in many cases, considerably longer. It's something called offering good value for money.
Well I for one have NEVER judged a song on what length it is. It makes little sense to me.
emjel wrote: And it's not an emjel thread - it's an emjel post or comment.
Next.
Too true.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

matilda
Banned
Banned

Post by matilda »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fish wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's worth noting: due to the enormously popular Friday night network premiere of DOUBLE TROUBLE, his new single steadily climbed up the Billboard charts over the following weeks.

It finally reached the coveted number one position on November 1, 1969, just twenty-nine days after the TV premiere.

The King regained his throne and the important contribution of DOUBLE TROUBLE to that achievement has been documented here for the very first time! ::rocks
I suppose this is the kind of reasoning that we can expect in a Trump-era. It is so ridiculous that it is actually not even worth responding to but here I am anyway. Some statements are just so incredibly and amazingly dumb that a response has to be made. This is a new low, even for this forum.
Living in the Netherlands which is not Elvis country by any means, I have always felt alone in my admiration of Elvis. I could only imagine that meeting and talking to other Elvis fans would be terrific, they, at least, would understand why I am an Elvis fan. I always assumed other Elvis fans to be somewhat intelligent people, educated or uneducated. I was certainly naive. Not only do I read nonsense statements like these but people are actually responding positively to this. It amazes me and, more importantly, disappoints me. And considering the number of positive responses to the utter nonsense of Elvis' comeback having started in 66 or 67 (or even 65, or not even having had a comeback as he was as popular throughout the 60s as he was in the 50s) things are not getting any better. A sign of the times.
Thank you for posting this.

One thing I disagree on, though, is that it's not lack of reasoning that is the Trump parallel here, but the bullying. It's the subtext of every single one of his topics that have appeared in the past three weeks.

Although I totally sympathize with your dismay, in the end, they're just wind-ups, although some choose to pretend otherwise. A shame, though, to see someone waste their time creating them. It tells you a lot more about them than anything else.
Ironic.You talk about bullying.

emjel

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:
emjel wrote: If you care to take a look at Page 1, Mister Moon mentioned a similar thing albeit a different Beatles album (whoops, sorry but I mentioned it again).

Happy to see you are indeed aware of other groups - I think 'Help' is the album you are hinting at (now you got me doing it) :shock:
emjel wrote: Regarding the length of songs, we are now in the later part of the 60s where most songs ran for over 2 minutes and in many cases, considerably longer. It's something called offering good value for money.
Well I for one have NEVER judged a song on what length it is. It makes little sense to me.
emjel wrote: And it's not an emjel thread - it's an emjel post or comment.
Next.
Too true.

Andy
But dont you find that if you enjoy a song, you want it to last a little longer. I mean supposing the songs on From Elvis In Memphis were under two minutes. That would be tragic.

Yep Help is indeed correct - sorry I cannot give you a prize. But yes I'm aware of lots of groups and their records. Male and female singers too. But then I have over 25,000 songs in my iTunes database, but of course the biggest percentage is Elvis and followed by The Beatles (damn said it again). :sosorry:

~

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote: But dont you find that if you enjoy a song, you want it to last a little longer. I mean supposing the songs on From Elvis In Memphis were under two minutes. That would be tragic.
Yes. I have wrote that on this very site regarding 'All I Needed Was The Rain', 'Almost' and 'In My Way' . But they are still beautiful songs.
emjel wrote: Yep Help is indeed correct - sorry I cannot give you a prize.
That's OK I'll take this one.
emjel wrote: But yes I'm aware of lots of groups and their records. Male and female singers too. But then I have over 25,000 songs in my iTunes database, but of course the biggest percentage is Elvis and followed by The Beatles (damn said it again). :sosorry:
My musical tastes are wide and varied too but you rightly know where my passion lies. :)

Andy

emjel

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:
emjel wrote: But dont you find that if you enjoy a song, you want it to last a little longer. I mean supposing the songs on From Elvis In Memphis were under two minutes. That would be tragic.
Yes. I have wrote that on this very site regarding 'All I Needed Was The Rain', 'Almost' and 'In My Way' . But they are still beautiful songs.
emjel wrote: Yep Help is indeed correct - sorry I cannot give you a prize.
That's OK I'll take this one.
emjel wrote: But yes I'm aware of lots of groups and their records. Male and female singers too. But then I have over 25,000 songs in my iTunes database, but of course the biggest percentage is Elvis and followed by The Beatles (damn said it again). :sosorry:
My musical tastes are wide and varied too but you rightly know where my passion lies. :)

Andy
I do indeed. I often get out my original mono LPs to play. Whilst I obviously have everything on CD and the FTD stuff, I find listening to the originals somehow takes me back to listening to the music as it sounded back in the day. One of my favourites is Elvis (For LP Fans Only) but as you know, the UK one had 14 tracks. Mind blowing stuff.

~

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote: I do indeed. I often get out my original mono LPs to play. Whilst I obviously have everything on CD and the FTD stuff, I find listening to the originals somehow takes me back to listening to the music as it sounded back in the day. One of my favourites is Elvis (For LP Fans Only) but as you know, the UK one had 14 tracks. Mind blowing stuff.
RD 27120 - One of my first purchases when I was a mere nipper.

Yeah the UK version added these 4:-

Money Honey
I'm Counting On You
Trying To Get To You
Blue Suede Shoes

Andy

emjel

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:
emjel wrote: I do indeed. I often get out my original mono LPs to play. Whilst I obviously have everything on CD and the FTD stuff, I find listening to the originals somehow takes me back to listening to the music as it sounded back in the day. One of my favourites is Elvis (For LP Fans Only) but as you know, the UK one had 14 tracks. Mind blowing stuff.
RD 27120 - One of my first purchases when I was a mere nipper.

Yeah the UK version added these 4:-

Money Honey
I'm Counting On You
Trying To Get To You
Blue Suede Shoes

Andy
It was my first Elvis LP purchase in 1964. Playing it now comes with all the little crackles and pops too that have built up over the years. Where has 53 years gone.

~

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote: It was my first Elvis LP purchase in 1964. Playing it now comes with all the little crackles and pops too that have built up over the years. Where has 53 years gone.
Late 70's for me. I think it was a birthday present. I do remember it cost a small fortune back then. I remember it fondly as this one wasn't my brothers or my Uncle's it was mine. I played it to death and sadly that copy is now long gone.

Andy

emjel

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:
emjel wrote: It was my first Elvis LP purchase in 1964. Playing it now comes with all the little crackles and pops too that have built up over the years. Where has 53 years gone.
Late 70's for me. I think it was a birthday present. I do remember it cost a small fortune back then. I remember it fondly as this one wasn't my brothers or my Uncle's it was mine. I played it to death and sadly that copy is now long gone.

Andy
Well that's a shame. Strange how RCA put a box around the song titles on the Orange Label Pressing. Looking at the cover now, the image looks a tad sharper on that one too, but it still sounds as good, in fact better as it is a mint copy without the pops from the old silver spot one.

~

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote: Well that's a shame. Strange how RCA put a box around the song titles on the Orange Label Pressing. Looking at the cover now, the image looks a tad sharper on that one too, but it still sounds as good, in fact better as it is a mint copy without the pops from the old silver spot one.
They also did this on the 1964 black label press too. (RD 27120)

Andy

emjel

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:
emjel wrote: Well that's a shame. Strange how RCA put a box around the song titles on the Orange Label Pressing. Looking at the cover now, the image looks a tad sharper on that one too, but it still sounds as good, in fact better as it is a mint copy without the pops from the old silver spot one.
They also did this on the 1964 black label press too. (RD 27120)

Andy
Never got that pressing . I assume that's the Red Spot one. They must have started back then and just carried it through to when they changed to the Orange label.

~

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote: Never got that pressing . I assume that's the Red Spot one. They must have started back then and just carried it through to when they changed to the Orange label.
Correct.

Andy

emjel

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:
emjel wrote: Never got that pressing . I assume that's the Red Spot one. They must have started back then and just carried it through to when they changed to the Orange label.
Correct.

Andy
I'm urious. . Are you a fan of ONJ.

~

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote: I'm urious. . Are you a fan of ONJ.
Yes. I have stated such on this very board when her name has come up.

Andy

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

The length of songs only matter when it doesn't seem natural or feels elongated or truncated. For example Hot Dog, Party, or most of the upbeat songs on Roustabout. They all needed instrumental breaks or verses repeated to make them fulfil their potential. The same isn't true of Teddy Bear, or Rags to Riches, or I Got Stung, because they seem the right length just as they are. Length of albums have a more valid criticism, but I don't see anyone complaining about Gold Records 2, A Date with Elvis, and For Lp fans only. So, if you are going to play the length card then you have to apply it to albums you like as well as ones you don't.

emjel

Post by emjel »

poormadpeter2 wrote:The length of songs only matter when it doesn't seem natural or feels elongated or truncated. For example Hot Dog, Party, or most of the upbeat songs on Roustabout. They all needed instrumental breaks or verses repeated to make them fulfil their potential. The same isn't true of Teddy Bear, or Rags to Riches, or I Got Stung, because they seem the right length just as they are. Length of albums have a more valid criticism, but I don't see anyone complaining about Gold Records 2, A Date with Elvis, and For Lp fans only. So, if you are going to play the length card then you have to apply it to albums you like as well as ones you don't.
I wouldn't complain about the length of those albums as they came with 14 tracks in the UK, so VFM was fine. I feel sorry for the US Fans who I consider were well and truly short changed.

~

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

It's jus amazing that Elvis was able to sustain, maintain and revitalize himself and his career with such bottom of the barrel music, production, arrangements, ugh, jus the whole silliness of it all.

It's not really rocket science that this soundtrack got no higher than #47 on the Lp charts in '67 during Elvis' "Comeback" of '66 !!!

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth