50 Years Ago: IT WON'T BE LONG!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
r&b

Re: 50 Years Ago: IT WON'T BE LONG!

Post by r&b »

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's my pleasure, Fabbe, I'm always happy to share!

On October 3, 1969 - just six weeks after Elvis closed at the International Hotel with his historic return to live performances - DOUBLE TROUBLE made it's long awaited and highly anticipated network TV debut on the CBS Friday Night Movie.

Please enjoy!
Ok im sorry, but that statement was posted strictly as a wind-up. Highly anticipated by whom exactly? 5 year olds?
As happy Elvis fans rejoiced in Oct 1969 during the great comeback year, the last thing they wanted to see and have their friends see, was one of his worst movies being shown on TV and a return to the nadir which thankfully was saved by the prior 10 months.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's my pleasure, Fabbe, I'm always happy to share!

On October 3, 1969 - just six weeks after Elvis closed at the International Hotel with his historic return to live performances - DOUBLE TROUBLE made it's long awaited and highly anticipated network TV debut on the CBS Friday Night Movie.

Please enjoy!
thanks! Was 20:00 prime time at those days?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

Indeed, 8:00 and 9:00 PM were the cherished shots for a network movie premiere at that time.

In fact, DOUBLE TROUBLE was cited by many newspapers as one of the movie highlights of that week.

Don't forget, Elvis' new single had just cracked the Top 20 (at number 19) and fans around the country who could not attend his highly-anticipated Las Vegas debut tuned-in to view the triumphant return of the King of Rock and Roll!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

jetblack wrote:
Steve Morse wrote: That's nice ! Pity she didn't know about the extra verse (and neither did we for many years). It's good song, well worthy of a cover version.
Funny thing is she also covered 'City By Night' in 2012 and even gave her album that title.

She must have a thing for the 'Double Trouble' soundtrack.

Andy
I think I'm her newest fan, now !

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Sue Moreno... you have a new fan in me. Love these covers, love EP's originals.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Steve Morse wrote:
jetblack wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:That's nice ! Pity she didn't know about the extra verse (and neither did we for many years). It's good song, well worthy of a cover version.
Funny thing is she also covered 'City By Night' in 2012 and even gave her album that title.

She must have a thing for the 'Double Trouble' soundtrack.

Andy
I think I'm her newest fan, now !

If she covers the entire soundtrack to "Double Trouble," her career might just explode.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

It's worth noting: due to the enormously popular Friday night network premiere of DOUBLE TROUBLE, his new single steadily climbed up the Billboard charts over the following weeks.

It finally reached the coveted number one position on November 1, 1969, just twenty-nine days after the TV premiere.

The King regained his throne and the important contribution of DOUBLE TROUBLE to that achievement has been documented here for the very first time! ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gantonicel@aol.com

Post by gantonicel@aol.com »

Dan_T wrote:
gantonicel@aol.com wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:
r&b wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:The Mayfair is/was a nice theater, too bad it was triplexed. It sits closed and it's future uncertain.

But look what's still there and hidden behind the fake walls and drop ceilings!
Starting with GI Blues (first time I was allowed to go to the movies on my own), I saw every Elvis movie up thru Double Trouble at the Mayfair. Some great memories including my first date (Kissin Cousins), a double feature Viva/Hard Days Night summer of 64) and just good old times. By the late sixties I was traveling to the Lincoln in Union City and even NYC to see movies. I did see the 50's Elvis movies with my parents in Jersey City, the Loews theater for my first one ever, Loving You. It was a big event to go to Jersey City to see a movie on a Sat night back then. Last movie I seen at the Mayfair was Grease in 1978. Happy Days for sure.
Great times and precious memories, indeed!

LouA saw most of the Elvis films in Jersey City starting with KING CREOLE at the Stanley. I think he said CHANGE OF HABIT didn't open on the Square so he went to Union City for that one.

He has lots of great stories but sadly walked away from this board after seeing all the sniping and negativeness. I doubt that he'll return.
I saw most Elvis films starting with JAILHOUSE ROCK at the large movie palaces in Jersey City. Some films got second runs at the smaller Pix Theater or the Roosevelt Drive-in. Some of the films that came back were easy Come Easy Go, Girl Happy , Tickle Me , Frankie And Johnny, and Double Trouble . During the late 50's Loving You and Love Me Tender were double featured at the Roosevelt Drive- in. I did see Change of Habit in Union City .
I don't recall people I knew who went to see these films complaining. People back in the 60's went to the movies to be entertained. Movies like McHale's Navy Joins The Air Force , Birds Do It, Have Rocket Will Travel , Don't Knock The Twist , Beach Party, the Carry-On films , the Jerry Lewis films , AIP horror films etc . were eagerly consumed , enjoyed for what they were, and forgotten. The era of Siskel and Ebert hadn't begun yet. So now,it's chic to look back on these films and say "they sucked and I didn't like them ", but back then people enjoyed them and paid money to see them.
We all know Elvis could have done better, and should have made better films with better sound track albums , but at this point , what's the point of constantly rehashing the inadequacies of these films ?
I come to this site a lot , and I'll a see a post by someone who has a fondness for a certain film or album and gets jumped on . And everything Elvis did is now fair game - 68 Comeback Show , TTWII. 69 Vegas - all have been called lousy or mediocre here .
Since I saw my name mentioned, I thought I'd respond .
I didn't know the Carry On films were shown in the US ! :)
They were! I recall seeing the military one back in the late 50's, and really enjoyed Carry On Constable which was double -billed with To Sir With Love in 1967 . Funny thing , I saw Lulu live last night at BB Kings Blues Club in New York City and naturally she sang To Sir With Love . Great show!!

drjohncarpenter

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's worth noting: due to the enormously popular Friday night network premiere of DOUBLE TROUBLE, his new single steadily climbed up the Billboard charts over the following weeks.

It finally reached the coveted number one position on November 1, 1969, just twenty-nine days after the TV premiere.

The King regained his throne and the important contribution of DOUBLE TROUBLE to that achievement has been documented here for the very first time!
This correlation has never been mentioned in ANY Presley history of "Suspicious Minds." You should publish your research, the response should be enormously popular.

P.S. the single first reached #1 in Cash Box's 10-18-1969 "Top 100."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:It's worth noting: due to the enormously popular Friday night network premiere of DOUBLE TROUBLE, his new single steadily climbed up the Billboard charts over the following weeks.

The King regained his throne and the important contribution of DOUBLE TROUBLE to that achievement has been documented here for the very first time!
This correlation has never been mentioned in ANY Presley history of "Suspicious Minds." You should publish your research, the response should be enormously popular.

It is beyond question that a prime Friday night TV slot of a recent movie would have contributed to sales of any current single at that time. Hey, it ain't rocket science! Give Double Trouble its due!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Cash box sucked after the 1950's.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Thanks, Dr. John Carpenter.

It's truly amazing when fresh and original research in primary source documents yields such remarkable nuggets to set the record straight on the Man and his Music.

Just this past week, I discovered and shared the Blue Suede Shoes/Long Legged Girl/International Hotel connection and within the past few hours, the incredible revelation that DOUBLE TROUBLE played an important role in the number one success of "Suspicious Minds."

I just LOVE what I do!

::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks

stevelecher

Post by stevelecher »

I've learned so much these last days.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

That's awesome, stevelecher.

Thank you very much, I'm truly humbled. :oops:

Don't be afraid to reject the popular myths and accept new realities when fresh and scholarly research has been conducted.

Remember to always keep an open mind and think outside the box.

It's great to keep learning!

::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Coincidence is now causation. Only in the minds of fantasists.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Hard Rocker wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It is beyond question that a prime Friday night TV slot of a recent movie would have contributed to sales of any current single at that time. Hey, it ain't rocket science! Give Double Trouble its due!
You are a wise and deep fan, Hard Rocker!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Hard Rocker wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Continuous promotion strengthened the Elvis brand.

timothy_sideburns

Post by timothy_sideburns »

It finally reached the coveted number one position on November 1, 1969, just twenty-nine days after the TV premiere.The King regained his throne and the important contribution of DOUBLE TROUBLE to that achievement has been documented here for the very first time!
OK I get it now. This wind-up thing really works. Nice one HoneytalkNelson.

Fish

Post by Fish »

The King regained his throne and the important contribution of DOUBLE TROUBLE to that achievement has been documented here for the very first time! ::rocks
I suppose this is the kind of reasoning that we can expect in a Trump-era. It is so ridiciculous that it is actually not even worth responding to but here I am anyway. Some statements are just so incredibly and amazingly dumb that a response has to be made. This is a new low, even for this forum.
Living in the Netherlands which is not Elvis country by any means, I have always felt alone in my admiration of Elvis. I could only imagine that meeting and talking to other Elvis fans would be terrific, they, at least, would understand why I am an Elvis fan. I always assumed other Elvis fans to be somewhat intelligent people, educated or uneducated. I was certainly naive. Not only do I read nonsense statements like these but people are actually responding positively to this. It amazes me and, more importantly, disappoints me. And considering the number of positive responses to the utter nonsense of Elvis' comeback having started in 66 or 67 (or even 65, or not even having had a comeback as he was as popular throughout the 60s as he was in the 50s) things are not getting any better. A sign of the times.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Fabbe wrote:Familiar?

If it doesn't do it automatically, go to 11.36 .

Looks like Sue Moreno is a big Elvis fan, just look at this track list!
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 07.34.49.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 07.42.41.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 07.45.23.png
So, this lady clearly has some love for Elvis 60's soundtracks, and his earlier work as well. How cool is that!

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

She has also done A Fool Such As I (find on You Tube).

The arrangements seem to be highly copy-cat : witness her How High The Moon compared with Les Paul & Mary Ford's recording.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

I never thought I would see anyone cover "Clean Up Your Own Backyard", but I have given it a listen, it's OK.
I may well buy her albums.
I have always been of the opinion that there are good songs buried deep in the 1960's soundtracks. Knowing that someone has done some covers somehow legitimises the originals.
One day I will make a playlist of the ones I like and call it "Elvis' Buried Treasures".

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Scoobie wrote:I never thought I would see anyone cover "Clean Up Your Own Backyard", but I have given it a listen, it's OK.
I have always been of the opinion that there are good songs buried deep in the 1960's soundtracks. Knowing that someone has done some covers somehow legitimises the originals.
One day I will make a playlist of the ones I like and call it "Elvis' Buried Treasures".
The brilliant Darrel Higham has covered many an Elvis soundtrack tune including 'Clean Up Your Own Backyard'

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

drjohncarpenter

Fish wrote:

I suppose this is the kind of reasoning that we can expect in a Trump-era. It is so ridiculous that it is actually not even worth responding to but here I am anyway. Some statements are just so incredibly and amazingly dumb that a response has to be made. This is a new low, even for this forum.
Living in the Netherlands which is not Elvis country by any means, I have always felt alone in my admiration of Elvis. I could only imagine that meeting and talking to other Elvis fans would be terrific, they, at least, would understand why I am an Elvis fan. I always assumed other Elvis fans to be somewhat intelligent people, educated or uneducated. I was certainly naive. Not only do I read nonsense statements like these but people are actually responding positively to this. It amazes me and, more importantly, disappoints me. And considering the number of positive responses to the utter nonsense of Elvis' comeback having started in 66 or 67 (or even 65, or not even having had a comeback as he was as popular throughout the 60s as he was in the 50s) things are not getting any better. A sign of the times.
Thank you for posting this.

One thing I disagree on, though, is that it's not lack of reasoning that is the Trump parallel here, but the bullying. It's the subtext of every single one of his topics that have appeared in the past three weeks.

Although I totally sympathize with your dismay, in the end, they're just wind-ups, although some choose to pretend otherwise. A shame, though, to see someone waste their time creating them. It tells you a lot more about them than anything else.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

Scoobie wrote:I never thought I would see anyone cover "Clean Up Your Own Backyard", but I have given it a listen, it's OK.
I am more surprised by the cover of City by Night....