50 Years Ago: IT WON'T BE LONG!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

jurasic1968

Re: 50 Years Ago: IT WON'T BE LONG!

Post by jurasic1968 »

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Thank you, Scoobie. We definitely need more positive and upbeat posts on this forum. Otherwise, a new visitor would think the only years of merit in Elvis' career were 1954-1958 and 1968-1969.

Always accentuate the positive!
We? I only believe in the facts and the real history, not in rewriting history, sorry.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

And I present real history, as taken from original and primary source materials! :)

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

The RCA publicity announcements and some newspaper articles suggested by the Colonel are not objective, sorry.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Nice try but please provide evidence the articles are "suggested" by the Colonel...

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

A newspaper article it's just that - a document, biased or objective, but not a real proof in history.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Yes, personal opinions and cloudy, biased memories are MUCH more conclusive.

Aye, aye, aye

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I read hundreds of articles about Elvis live concerts in the 70's (thanks to the great Francesc Lopez site) and I was amazed how different the reviews were from the same concert. So the full half glass and the empty half glass were present. Even after his worst concerts some reporters wrote that Elvis gave a great performance that night. This is not the real history, I am afraid.

Fish

Post by Fish »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Fabbe wrote:
Scoobie wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
Scoobie wrote:I never thought I would see anyone cover "Clean Up Your Own Backyard", but I have given it a listen, it's OK.
I may well buy her albums.
I have always been of the opinion that there are good songs buried deep in the 1960's soundtracks. Knowing that someone has done some covers somehow legitimises the originals.
One day I will make a playlist of the ones I like and call it "Elvis' Buried Treasures".
I am more surprised by the cover of City by Night....
Yes, I can see that point of view. I do like "City By Night" it comes from a genre that I wish Elvis had explored and developed further.
me too I like that type of sound.
Elvis was exploring a new musical phase in 1966: Jazz! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
It is not so much whether the definition of jazz actually fits but whether Exploring fits. I mean, really?! Elvis was exploring jazz.... Are there no boundaries anymore? Can truly anything be stated and considered sane?
Based on some very mediocre soundtrack songs you can state that Elvis was exploring jazz? No homerecordings show this, no additional non-soundtrack songs show this, but sure, he was exploring jazz. Jeez.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

jurasic1968 wrote:A newspaper article it's just that - a document, biased or objective, but not a real proof in history.
Biased or objective to whom - they don't work for Elvis or management.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

City by Night is an odd one. It isn't jazz really, but that's the nearest genre we CAN call it. It tends to cross between jazz and lounge music - but then many jazz musicians were doing the same in the mid 1960s and it approximates those sounds rather well. So its very much in keeping with the jazz-lite of Mel Torme, Nancy Wilson, etc of the period. It also reminds me rather of the feel of the songs in A Man Called Adam, a Sammy Davis film of the same time.

All of that said, rather like Elvis's Latin phase, the song itself is an imitation of those songs. I can't remember who wrote it, but it would have been nice to Elvis sing, say, a Benny Carter-penned song instead of a rip off. But I do like City By Night very much all the same. I Need somebody To Lean On also has that late night jazz bar feel to it too, I think. And Almost in Love too - a song written by a genuine master of the genre for once.

Sorry I can't illustrate with YouTube clips but in a hotel room and internet not very good!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Fish wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Elvis was exploring a new musical phase in 1966: Jazz!
It is not so much whether the definition of jazz actually fits but whether Exploring fits. I mean, really?! Elvis was exploring jazz.... Are there no boundaries anymore? Can truly anything be stated and considered sane?

Based on some very mediocre soundtrack songs you can state that Elvis was exploring jazz? No home recordings show this, no additional non-soundtrack songs show this, but sure, he was exploring jazz. Jeez.
Some fans are happy with make-believe. And that's OK, let them enjoy themselves.

Me? I prefer truth, perspective and the historical record. When people visit FECC, they will be pleased to see that many Elvis fans share this view.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

poormadpeter2 wrote: I Need somebody To Lean On also has that late night jazz bar feel to it too, I think. And Almost in Love too - a song written by a genuine master of the genre for once.
Those are two good calls. Well done.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

jurasic1968 wrote:A newspaper article it's just that - a document, biased or objective, but not a real proof in history.
Better than having blind faith on the opinions of one member with his chiming parrots. It could be very enlightening to test the waters once in a blue moon. You just might witness how fast that bus goes over you! :)

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I don't have a blind faith in anyone, I am not a fan who likes every Elvis song he recorded, I admit that when I was 16 years old I watched 10 times Girl Happy in one month because it was the only Elvis movie on the cinema back then in Romania, and I became a fan of Elvis a couple of month earlier (february 1984). But, now at 49 years old, my point of view changed, so I am not a fan who likes everything he did or wear rose colored glasses.

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

Juan Luis wrote:
Better than having blind faith on the opinions of one member with his chiming parrots. It could be very enlightening to test the waters once in a blue moon. You just might witness how fast that bus goes over you! :)
Well done, Juan. You're now the World Champion of online Mixed Metaphors ! :wink:

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Let's make a competition, Steve!

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

I am sorry, but this is nonsense. A newspaper article from the period is primary source material and essential for understanding the subject, particularly as it was written at the time all of this was happening. It is absolute proof of history. I can assure you that Elvis had more articles written about him in magazines and newspapers in the first eleven months of 1968 than in any of the previous six years. And if THAT doesn't show the comeback started before the TV show was aired then nothing does.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

"City By Night" is to jazz what "Hard Luck" is to blues.

Not the real thing, I'm afraid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastiche

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

It is truly amazing how far the naysayers will go to keep their head in the sand.

They persist in believing AND repeating the same old worn-out, popular myths.

Thank you, Shane. As both a published author and acknowledged Elvis scholar in academic circles, your wisdom and common sense in this matter is certainly appreciated!

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

This thread has inspired my listening for this morning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

Scoobie wrote:This thread has inspired my listening for this morning.
What a strange looking gramophone !

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

In regards Elvis exploring different music styles and genres, I suppose one has to draw the disticntion between Elvis either making genuine forays into other genres or simply meeting his contractual obligations.

In the case of "City By Night" perhaps it is the case that the latter was true, rather than the former.
I guess we can assume that "Old Macdonald", "I Love Only One Girl" were certainly recorded because he had to.
Does "City By Night" fall into this category? Probably.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Steve Morse wrote:
What a strange looking gramophone !

Gramophone? Hee hee, :D :smt005 no gramophones around here!

emjel

Post by emjel »

Yes it inspired me too, but I couldn't connect with the 50 years ago part. I was thinking more like 54 years as I pulled out my With The Beatles album and started playing It Wont Be Long.

I guess the album sleeve for Double Trouble showed a bit of creativity although repeating the exact same photos on the back seemed a bit of what appeared to be a money saving process.

City By Night is a great track and has a real book feel. I wish Elvis had done an album of songs in a similar vein. There Is So Much a World To See is good, but the version with the extra verse is much better. Could never figure out why they dropped the verse. They did a similar thing with One Broken Heart For Sale and whilst not one of the best singles, I think it sold poorly because of its very short running time, but I still like it. Brings back lots of memories of listening to Pick Of The Pops on a Sunday afternoon.

The Double Trouble album in general was still poor by Elvis standards though, with 9 of the tracks running for less than 2 minutes. Peaking at 47 on Billboard and 34 in the UK was disappointing but not surprising. Even the fans could not lift it into higher positions. Apparently, Elvis did not like it or any other of the recent soundtrack albums and neither did the general record buyers which was the only thing they had in common with Elvis at the time.

Very nice to see all of the ads and promo stuff and I particularly liked seeing the album sleeve with the stickered info about "no more mono release". Cannot say I have ever seen that before so a good piece of historical info there so well done in locating that. HTN - is there a chance you can do a book on that type of thing or is that not a viable project. I am sure it would be quite interesting to have all of that stuff in one place.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote:
Yes it inspired me too, but I couldn't connect with the 50 years ago part. I was thinking more like 54 years as I pulled out my With The Beatles album and started playing It Wont Be Long.

I guess the album sleeve for Double Trouble showed a bit of creativity although repeating the exact same photos on the back seemed a bit of what appeared to be a money saving process.

City By Night is a great track and has a real book feel. I wish Elvis had done an album of songs in a similar vein. There Is So Much a World To See is good, but the version with the extra verse is much better. Could never figure out why they dropped the verse. They did a similar thing with One Broken Heart For Sale and whilst not one of the best singles, I think it sold poorly because of its very short running time, but I still like it. Brings back lots of memories of listening to Pick Of The Pops on a Sunday afternoon.

The Double Trouble album in general was still poor by Elvis standards though, with 9 of the tracks running for less than 2 minutes. Peaking at 47 on Billboard and 34 in the UK was disappointing but not surprising. Even the fans could not lift it into higher positions. Apparently, Elvis did not like it or any other of the recent soundtrack albums and neither did the general record buyers which was the only thing they had in common with Elvis at the time.

Very nice to see all of the ads and promo stuff and I particularly liked seeing the album sleeve with the stickered info about "no more mono release". Cannot say I have ever seen that before so a good piece of historical info there so well done in locating that. HTN - is there a chance you can do a book on that type of thing or is that not a viable project. I am sure it would be quite interesting to have all of that stuff in one place.
You are obsessed with the running times of songs. These 1950's songs run for less than 2 minutes also so I don't see you point.

That's All Right
Teddy Bear
I Beg Of You
Hard headed Woman
I Got Stung

It can't be an emjel thread unless he mentions The Beatles too. There were other groups around in the 1960's too.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts