Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Re: 50 Years Ago: IT WON'T BE LONG!

Post by Hard Rocker »

jetblack wrote:
Scoobie wrote:I never thought I would see anyone cover "Clean Up Your Own Backyard", but I have given it a listen, it's OK.
I may well buy her albums.
I have always been of the opinion that there are good songs buried deep in the 1960's soundtracks. Knowing that someone has done some covers somehow legitimises the originals.
One day I will make a playlist of the ones I like and call it "Elvis' Buried Treasures".
The brilliant Darrel Higham has covered many an Elvis soundtrack tune including 'Clean Up Your Own Backyard'

Andy
Always very difficult to cover Elvis but Darrell's done sterling work there, great stuff!

...and what a superb player he is too. Right up there with Brian Setzer IMO and for RnR/Rockabilly axemanship it comes no better than that. 8)

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Post by HoneyTalkNelson »

I have received many kind and thoughtful messages thanking me for my positive outlook, original research and astute observations within recent weeks on this board. Many have said that I've brought new life and a fresh approach to the subject, not to mention the selfless sharing of some incredibly rare images and archival materials.

Apparently, some individuals prefer to keep their heads buried in the sand. That is unfortunate and truly their loss.

As the Man said, "Haters gonna hate!"

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Fabbe wrote:
Scoobie wrote:I never thought I would see anyone cover "Clean Up Your Own Backyard", but I have given it a listen, it's OK.
I have always been of the opinion that there are good songs buried deep in the 1960's soundtracks. Knowing that someone has done some covers somehow legitimises the originals.
One day I will make a playlist of the ones I like and call it "Elvis' Buried Treasures".
I am more surprised by the cover of City by Night....
Yes, I can see that point of view. I do like "City By Night" it comes from a genre that I wish Elvis had explored and developed further.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

It's also amusing - and somewhat disturbing - to see our President dragged into the discussion.

I suppose some individuals get desperate when they have been trumped.

Please post on topic. ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

Scoobie wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
Yes, I can see that point of view. I do like "City By Night" it comes from a genre that I wish Elvis had explored and developed further.
me too I like that type of sound

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Fabbe wrote:
Scoobie wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
me too I like that type of sound.
Elvis was exploring a new musical phase in 1966: Jazz! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Mike Windgren wrote: Elvis was exploring a new musical phase in 1966: Jazz! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.
There are many hidden gems to be found on those soundtrack albums if some would only look and most importantly LISTEN.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mike Windgren wrote:Elvis was exploring a new musical phase in 1966: Jazz!
Elvis did not explore jazz in 1966, or any other year. The closest he came was the soundtrack to "King Creole."
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Hard Rocker

Post by Hard Rocker »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:
Fabbe wrote:Yes, I can see that point of view. I do like "City By Night" it comes from a genre that I wish Elvis had explored and developed further.
me too I like that type of sound.
Elvis was exploring a new musical phase in 1966: Jazz!
Elvis did not explore jazz in 1966, or any other year. The closest he came was the soundtrack to "King Creole."[/quote]

Ever heard the soundtrack to Frankie And Johnny or indeed his version of jazz singer Peggy Lee's classic Fever?

More examples available on request.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

"City By Night" has jazz drumming with a bluesy feel including blues jazz piano. . New Orleans type horns on top of rock n roll blues, or pop, doesn't cut it as Jazz for King Creole.

Jazz-blues "Fever", "Relax"....etc.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

Juan Luis wrote:"City By Night" has jazz drumming with a bluesy feel including blues jazz piano. . New Orleans type horns on top of rock n roll blues, or pop, doesn't cut it as Jazz for King Creole.

Jazz-blues "Fever", "Relax"....etc.
it has a jazzy sound , I suggest those that play an instrument to learn the song, it has interesting chord changes (not the usual 3 chord structure) . I think the mix and ambience of the vocal track could be improved also I hoped they added a rhythm jazz guitar to support the refrain.

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

drjohncarpenter

Fabbe wrote:it has a jazzy sound , I suggest those that play an instrument to learn the song, it has interesting chord changes (not the usual 3 chord structure) . I think the mix and ambience of the vocal track could be improved also I hoped they added a rhythm jazz guitar to support the refrain.
If you're referring to "City By Night," it's not jazz.

Oh, if only Buddy Rich was here today. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fabbe wrote:it has a jazzy sound , I suggest those that play an instrument to learn the song, it has interesting chord changes (not the usual 3 chord structure) . I think the mix and ambience of the vocal track could be improved also I hoped they added a rhythm jazz guitar to support the refrain.

i am referring to city by night and i didn't say it is jazz - I said it has a jazzy sound

drjohncarpenter

Fabbe wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

i am referring to city by night and i didn't say it is jazz - I said it has a jazzy sound
Before than you agreed with Scoobie, who clearly implied the song is jazz. Your conversation is above. Did you change your mind? ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Before than you agreed with Scoobie, who clearly implied the song is jazz. Your conversation is above. Did you change your mind? ;-)
no, even if I like to revise songs from time to time , in this case I have always considered the song with a jazzy sound and mood but out of the standard jazz canon musically (I don't think Elvis is singing it like a jazz song for instance, the guitars are pop )

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

If anybody is interested, I tried to identify chords to city by night - if you play, try it! As mentioned earlier it is quite different from the typical 3 chords structure. I am not fully sure about the C# over "mistake" -- so any suggestions are welcome.

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

I can play most routine tunes straight off, on the piano - but City By Night is rather tricky !

Incidentally, it's :

"The city by night lies wide awake"

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

Steve Morse wrote:I can play most routine tunes straight off, on the piano - but City By Night is rather tricky !

Incidentally, it's :

ah, made a mistake with the lyric. For some reason all over the web I have found "I'm wide awake" but you're right he says "lies wide awake"

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

Fabbe wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:I can play most routine tunes straight off, on the piano - but City By Night is rather tricky !

Incidentally, it's :

ah, made a mistake with the lyric. For some reason all over the web I have found "I'm wide awake" but you're right he says "lies wide awake"
Well, I've made many mistakes with lyrics, and I'm English ! The most accurate source for lyrics is "Elvis Words - The Complete Lyrics", A-Z (10 volumes) - but probably not so easy to obtain these days.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Wonderful, it warms my heart to see some positive discussion about the film and its music. That's what this thread is all about.

Remember: the glass is ALWAYS half full!

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Whatever classification of music "City By Night" falls into, it is different to Elvis' usual style, and, whatever that style might be called, I wish he had done more of it. Perhaps it's "Jazz", perhaps it is something else. Whatever it is, I like it!
I admit, my knowledge of Jazz is minimal, and so what fits in to the classification is also minimal.
However, I don't believe I classified it as "jazz" in my earlier post, I think I left the genre unspecified.

I have always had a liking for "Double Trouble" with the obvious exception of Old Mac, it has been very interesting to read and contribute to this thread.
Last edited by Scoobie on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

Fabbe wrote:Familiar?

If it doesn't do it automatically, go to 11.36 .

Spooky!

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Thank you, Scoobie. We definitely need more positive and upbeat posts on this forum. Otherwise, a new visitor would think the only years of merit in Elvis' career were 1954-1958 and 1968-1969.

Always accentuate the positive!

Scoobie

Post by Scoobie »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fabbe wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I really did not know what classification to apply to "City By Night" which is why I made no specification. I do think it sounds as if it could belong to the "jazz" classification, but I was not confident enough to make that assertion.

Topic author
HoneyTalkNelson

Poormadpeter is both a jazz fan and a published Elvis scholar and academic. He would know!

Shane???