Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

TCEM vs EAC?

Post by dennyelvis »

Now both sets have been around awhile which set wins out on content and sound? Complete Master's or Album Collection?

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Re: TCEM vs EAC?

Post by TINML »

I only own the 60 CD set and I think it's a gorgeous set but they dropped the ball by not using the Kevan Budd remasters for the Sun tracks IMO.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

FatherJack1980
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by FatherJack1980 »

TINML wrote:I only own the 60 CD set and I think it's a gorgeous set but they dropped the ball by not using the Kevan Budd remasters for the Sun tracks IMO.
To be fair the aim of the audio (for the most part) was to make it sound like it sounded when the albums were released back in their days; something which I personally like

Harry S. Truman: The buck stops here

Donald Duck Trump: "I don't take responsibility at all"

"I do want always corruption" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 22 Nov 2019 :wtf: :facep:

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 6 Nov 2012

"Be prepared, there is a small chance that our horrendous leadership could unknowingly lead us into World War III." ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 31 Aug 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydWzTnD7Fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotiVvyS1yk

And this is a-not-to-be-missed-instant-classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSE-XoVKaXg

"Elvis has left the house" :facep: ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 16 Nov 2018

- he's clearly a patriot that respects the flag and a very stable genius with a large a-brain(!). I'm of course being sarcastic because Donald Trump is a moron.

TINML

Post by TINML »

FatherJack1980 wrote:
TINML wrote:I only own the 60 CD set and I think it's a gorgeous set but they dropped the ball by not using the Kevan Budd remasters for the Sun tracks IMO.
To be fair the aim of the audio (for the most part) was to make it sound like it sounded when the albums were released back in their days; something which I personally like
I can appreciate that fortunately I own Elvis At Sun so it's not the end of the world.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

GroovinGarrett
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by GroovinGarrett »

FatherJack1980 wrote:
So where is the electronically rechanneled for stereo?

FatherJack1980
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by FatherJack1980 »

GroovinGarrett wrote:
FatherJack1980 wrote:
?

I have no idea what you are asking me, or even if you are specifically asking me. I was just going by what's written in the booklet with the 60's boxset from 2016 when I replied to TINML; I have no insider information

Harry S. Truman: The buck stops here

Donald Duck Trump: "I don't take responsibility at all"

"I do want always corruption" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 22 Nov 2019 :wtf: :facep:

"The electoral college is a disaster for a democracy" ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 6 Nov 2012

"Be prepared, there is a small chance that our horrendous leadership could unknowingly lead us into World War III." ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 31 Aug 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydWzTnD7Fw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WotiVvyS1yk

And this is a-not-to-be-missed-instant-classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSE-XoVKaXg

"Elvis has left the house" :facep: ~ Donald "Birther" Trump - 16 Nov 2018

- he's clearly a patriot that respects the flag and a very stable genius with a large a-brain(!). I'm of course being sarcastic because Donald Trump is a moron.

jerrynodak

Post by jerrynodak »

I don't own Complete Masters. I held off on buying the Album Collection when it first hit the market, but finally gave in to my impulses. Glad I did. Really enjoy listening to the tunes within their individual LP setting. Like the fact that the LPs (to my knowledge) are the original mixes.

Topic author
dennyelvis

Post by dennyelvis »

I thought the EAC was revisited by Anseni to improve the audio (dropouts etc) So doesn't that make the 60CD set better sounds use? Especially I imagine if u have the FTD BFTupelo set too?

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

FatherJack1980 wrote:
GroovinGarrett wrote:
FatherJack1980 wrote:
?

I have no idea what you are asking me, or even if you are specifically asking me. I was just going by what's written in the booklet with the 60's boxset from 2016 when I replied to TINML; I have no insider information
What he means is, they can't have it all ways. On the one hand put out albums with the "original" sound, but on the other hand improve the sound when it suits them, e.g. don't use electronically recreated stereo. But were any albums only ever released in ERS? I don't think that argument holds up.

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Eggrert »

I don't know about ERS, but I was under the impression that the extra echo/reverb added to the Sun tracks on FLFO and ADWE were not preserved on the 60 Album Collection (I don't own that particular set so I can't check for myself, but I seem to remember reading as much on this forum). Similarly, I seem to remember reading that at least one of the Camdens (C'mon Everybody?) was only released in mono, even though it appears in stereo on the 60 Albums set.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Quotes from the book in the 60CD set. Page 16: "Several stray period-appropriate tracks have been appended to certain albums to include all the songs that were commercially released before his passing on August 16, 1977.
Page 17: "Where possible, original album masters have been used for this release except when deemed inferior to other masters found in Sony Music Entertainment's vault."

None of the professed criteria for the 60CD box is implemented fully or consistently. Here are two:
1. Use the Album masters unless another master has better sound quality.
2. Include all the masters released during his lifetime.
Neither of these are true and/or consistent. For number 1 here is one example that is inconsistent: The Sun sides are neither the original album version NOR the best sound quality. And another little inconsistency, on Gold volume 2, they use the single master for Doncha Think It's Time. There are numerous others where the best sound quality was not used. And others where the "album master" was not used.
For number two here are some of the lifetime masters not included:
Old Shep alternate take (on some pressings of 2nd LP Elvis)
Doncha' Think It's Time LP version (Gold Records Volume 2) They use the single version!
I Want To Be Free with original spliced ending (WWGAH V2)
Lover Doll undubbed version (WWGAH V2)
Dixieland Rock truncated intro version (WWGAH V2)
Didja' Ever unspliced intro (On first pressings of GI Blues)
Stay Away Joe alternate (on first pressings of Almost In Love)
I Really Don't Want To Know drum beat ending (WWGAH V2)
Make The World Go Away unspliced (Welcome To My World)
I Can't Stop Loving You live (Welcome To My World)

The first two volumes of A Legendary Performer had these previously unreleased tracks that are not on this collection:
I Love You Because (unspliced take)
Love Me (TV Special)
Tryin' To Get To You (TV Special)
Are You Lonesome Tonight (TV Special)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You (alternate take)
Blue Suede Shoes (TV Special)
Baby What You Want Me To Do (TV Special--alternate performance)

Then there are single versions such as A Little Less Conversation, It's A Long Lonely Highway, I'm Yours, and Almost In Love not included.

Despite its flaws The Complete Masters has better sound quality In general. Here are two exceptions (there are others too): Promised Land has the first cowbell clipped. You Don't Know Me does not have the dropout corrected. Both of these are improved on the 60CD box.
The Complete Masters trumps the 60CD set both in sound quality and in completeness. Although it is not to be expected that the 60CD box would or should include masters released after August 16,1977, but it SHOULD include all released BEFORE that date.

Not only are the Sun masters inferior to what is available, but so is the bulk of all material on For LP Fans Only and A Date With Elvis. And there are flaws here and there such as One Night, Dixieland Rock, Goin' Home, One Track Heart. There may be others but I have not listened to all the 70s nor soundtrack discs.

Then there is the error of using the 2nd version label for Roustabout on the CD face and not the original version.
Last edited by skatterbrane on Wed May 17, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The stereo albums that originally had tracks with ERS (other than the 50s albums which were available in ERS after 1962) are:
Elvis For Everyone
Elvis Gold Records Volume 4.

Thankfully, in these cases, the rule of "except when deemed inferior to other masters found in Sony Music Entertainment's vault."
was applied and they used the mono masters instead. They do explain that they used the stereo masters that try to created the original intent of masters that were originally released in mono only (outside the 50s material), such as some of the Camden albums etc.

Topic author
dennyelvis

Post by dennyelvis »

I did take a bit of time to listen to a few of the albums and it's obvious to me that we really need a Remixed Series similar to double features perhaps? To really get the level of quality he deserves do u guys think the time is right for a new Remix series?

TINML

Post by TINML »

dennyelvis wrote:I did take a bit of time to listen to a few of the albums and it's obvious to me that we really need a Remixed Series similar to double features perhaps? To really get the level of quality he deserves do u guys think the time is right for a new Remix series?
I hope we get remixed Memphis sessions masters one day, The Memphis Record doesn't quite cut it.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I am for the concept of remixing the original multi-track tapes for improved clarity, resolution, dynamics, imaging and soundstage. However, I would NOT want added reverb that the Double Features have. Even though I do not like the digital reverb used on Promised Land expanded, I DO like all the other aspects of those and the 70s box remixes.

elvis-fan
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis-fan »

I'm good with my Complete Masters set. Although, if I see it for a bargain, I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of the Album Collection...

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

elvis-fan wrote:I'm good with my Complete Masters set. Although, if I see it for a bargain, I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of the Album Collection...
I do not have The Complete Masters. I really wanted it, but it was too expensive. However, I did buy The Album Collection. Both sets are flawed in their own ways, but I do not regret the purchase for one second. It's a fantastic set, and I play it a lot. It's my go-to source for the masters. Often, these days, I just want to listen to the original albums, and for that this set is perfect.

Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Ken Jensen wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:I'm good with my Complete Masters set. Although, if I see it for a bargain, I wouldn't mind picking up a copy of the Album Collection...
I do not have The Complete Masters. I really wanted it, but it was too expensive. However, I did buy The Album Collection. Both sets are flawed in their own ways, but I do not regret the purchase for one second. It's a fantastic set, and I play it a lot. It's my go-to source for the masters. Often, these days, I just want to listen to the original albums, and for that this set is perfect.
You worded that perfectly ken, i share the same opinion.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

skatterbrane wrote:Quotes from the book in the 60CD set. Page 16: "Several stray period-appropriate tracks have been appended to certain albums to include all the songs that were commercially released before his passing on August 16, 1977.
Page 17: "Where possible, original album masters have been used for this release except when deemed inferior to other masters found in Sony Music Entertainment's vault."

None of the professed criteria for the 60CD box is implemented fully or consistently. Here are two:
1. Use the Album masters unless another master has better sound quality.
2. Include all the masters released during his lifetime.
Neither of these are true and/or consistent. For number 1 here is one example that is inconsistent: The Sun sides are neither the original album version NOR the best sound quality. And another little inconsistency, on Gold volume 2, they use the single master for Doncha Think It's Time. There are numerous others where the best sound quality was not used. And others where the "album master" was not used.
For number two here are some of the lifetime masters not included:
Old Shep alternate take (on some pressings of 2nd LP Elvis)
Doncha' Think It's Time LP version (Gold Records Volume 2) They use the single version!
I Want To Be Free with original spliced ending (WWGAH V2)
Lover Doll undubbed version (WWGAH V2)
Dixieland Rock truncated intro version (WWGAH V2)
Didja' Ever unspliced intro (On first pressings of GI Blues)
Stay Away Joe alternate (on first pressings of Almost In Love)
I Really Don't Want To Know drum beat ending (WWGAH V2)
Make The World Go Away unspliced (Welcome To My World)
I Can't Stop Loving You live (Welcome To My World)

The first two volumes of A Legendary Performer had these previously unreleased tracks that are not on this collection:
I Love You Because (unspliced take)
Love Me (TV Special)
Tryin' To Get To You (TV Special)
Are You Lonesome Tonight (TV Special)
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You (alternate take)
Blue Suede Shoes (TV Special)
Baby What You Want Me To Do (TV Special--alternate performance)

Then there are single versions such as A Little Less Conversation, It's A Long Lonely Highway, I'm Yours, and Almost In Love not included.

Despite its flaws The Complete Masters has better sound quality In general. Here are two exceptions (there are others too): Promised Land has the first cowbell clipped. You Don't Know Me does not have the dropout corrected. Both of these are improved on the 60CD box.
The Complete Masters trumps the 60CD set both in sound quality and in completeness. Although it is not to be expected that the 60CD box would or should include masters released after August 16,1977, but it SHOULD include all released BEFORE that date.

Not only are the Sun masters inferior to what is available, but so is the bulk of all material on For LP Fans Only and A Date With Elvis. And there are flaws here and there such as One Night, Dixieland Rock, Goin' Home, One Track Heart. There may be others but I have not listened to all the 70s nor soundtrack discs.

Then there is the error of using the 2nd version label for Roustabout on the CD face and not the original version.
Your comments about things such as the old shep take is nonsense. That is NOT a master. The tracks from the 1968 comeback released on Leg Perf were viewed as outtakes and not masters. The undubbed Lover Doll is also not regarded as the master. It is the undubbed master. The truncated Dixieland Rock is not a master.

And so it goes on.

They are variants, NOT masters.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Yes, some on that list are not the "official" master. But all are versions released in his lifetime. And MOST on that list are masters.

The alternate takes include Old Shep, I Want You I Need You I Love You, Stay Away Joe, Make The World Go Away, (although bulk of this unspliced version was used for the master), I Love You Because. I would say since Lover Doll and Dixieland Rock mentioned were released a full month before the LP versions, I would say they were masters. The outtakes from the TV Special were masters that were not used in the special, they are still masters. A master does not have to be used. Only one of those song had alternate versions that were released before these versions. However they DO choose to use other selections from ALL 4 Legendary Performer albums including the two released after his death. As for Doncha Think It's Time, there are two masters, just like the King Creole situation. And yet they did not use the album master.