Red West

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

EPA4368

Re: Red West

Post by EPA4368 »

Going through my "Memphis To Nashville '61 FTD Book and was wondering where was Red?

Have photo(s) of Alan Fortas, Joe Esposito, Gene Smith, Sonny and George Klein at the February 25th '61 Memphis luncheon, but didn't see any with Red.

Awesome book!

Elvis Presley Memphis To Nashville '61 FTD Book promo

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

EPA4368 wrote:Going through my "Memphis To Nashville '61 FTD Book and was wondering where was Red?

Have photo(s) of Alan Fortas, Joe Esposito, Gene Smith, Sonny and George Klein at the February 25th '61 Memphis luncheon, but didn't see any with Red.

Awesome book!

Elvis Presley Memphis To Nashville '61 FTD Book promo
Red is an extra in "Blue Hawaii," filmed in March-April 1961.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

FredAistair

Post by FredAistair »

mike edwards66 wrote:Whichever way you cut it, the book was a no going back, going for the jugular, betrayal. Time-wise they must hold the record for dishing the dirt, they were barely gone five minutes. What does that tell us? Revenge. That's what the book was, pure and simple, revenge.
I suggested that is how it could look and some answered it with irrelevancies , at least the Doc put in a reasonable point that they were angry, if I recall correctly.

drjohncarpenter

FredAistair wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:Whichever way you cut it, the book was a no going back, going for the jugular, betrayal. Time-wise they must hold the record for dishing the dirt, they were barely gone five minutes. What does that tell us? Revenge. That's what the book was, pure and simple, revenge.
I suggested that is how it could look and some answered it with irrelevancies , at least the Doc put in a reasonable point that they were angry, if I recall correctly.
The important thing is to ignore those here who only post "wind-up" comments.

On page 1 of this topic I summarized the motivations for the biography.

Again:

The 1977 book was crafted out of anger over the firing, which Vernon handled, not Elvis, their deep concern for Elvis' health, and a need to generate income. My suspicion is that Red hoped management would intervene before the book ever got printed, and then a real dialogue might happen regarding Presley's health issues. But it didn't happen, and 13 months after the bodyguards were dismissed, Elvis died.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Cheiro

Post by Cheiro »

I agree that it was written out of revenge, and I have no interest in reading it. I'm sure a certain someone will call me "incurious" because of my position. :lol:

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
FredAistair wrote:
The important thing is to ignore those here who only post "wind-up" comments.
There is no one getting wound-up around here. Apart from you.

drjohncarpenter wrote:On page 1 of this topic I summarized the motivations for the biography.
On page 1 of this topic you summarized your suspicions.
drjohncarpenter wrote:My suspicion is that Red hoped management would intervene before the book ever got printed, and then a real dialogue might happen regarding Presley's health issues. But it didn't happen, and 13 months after the bodyguards were dismissed, Elvis died.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

seaward

Post by seaward »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The 1977 book was crafted out of anger over the firing, which Vernon handled, not Elvis, their deep concern for Elvis' health, and a need to generate income.
I agree, from my knowledge of past Elvis book readings, this seems to be the reasons why they did it... And I ain't judging them for doing it. I wasn't in their shoes. They did what they thought was best at that time to get through the situation they were in.

drjohncarpenter

seaward wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The 1977 book was crafted out of anger over the firing, which Vernon handled, not Elvis, their deep concern for Elvis' health, and a need to generate income.
I agree, from my knowledge of past Elvis book readings, this seems to be the reasons why they did it... And I ain't judging them for doing it. I wasn't in their shoes. They did what they thought was best at that time to get through the situation they were in.
Thanks. It's always nice to see level-headed members posting here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

seaward

Post by seaward »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
seaward wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:The 1977 book was crafted out of anger over the firing, which Vernon handled, not Elvis, their deep concern for Elvis' health, and a need to generate income.
Thanks. It's always nice to see level-headed members posting here.
You're welcome. I don't know if I'm level headed but I try to be. Hee hee!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Sonny West words..."we did it out of bitterness and hurt.. and perhaps it would do some good. No one is out of reach of drugs man.. here's a man who had it in the palm of his hand..."....IIRC. Red West himself has stated about the money as well.
So I don't buy that BS that it was done all for Elvis's good. What I do think is that it was a long time ago... they probably regret doing it the way it was done.. and they truly loved him. They paid the price dearly by living with this for so long. The West boys ..that is. Dave Hebler was too new. And he didn't bother/hurt Elvis as much as the West's "betrayal"(Elvis' thinking)...

mike edwards66

Post by mike edwards66 »

That's the crux, because Elvis died, they got away with it. Because he died they were able, quickly, to reframe their revenge as some kind of "intervention".

FredAistair wrote:
I suggested that is how it could look and some answered it with irrelevancies.......
Thanks, Fred. Sometimes the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

>>>

some people say i done all right for a girl . . . oh yeah yeah

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

the bodyguard book is a must read for anyone who is attempting to be or claims to be an Elvis historian.

Right or wrong when the book was written Elvis was alive and even had an advance copy that he had read.

The book had nothing to do with Elvis's passing nor did it spur his death. As someone who has known many of the Memphis Mafia I can honestly say that there is nothing but love from them to Elvis. It may manifest itself in different or unusual ways but nonetheless they loved him deeply.

Red and Sonny are forthright men, who don't bs thier relationship with Elvis nor to my knowledge have ever changed one story in that book. You may not like what you read but Elvis was very much a flawed person like us all and because of money and insulation was able to get away with more than most.

Elvis is not a god, Elvis was a man. A human being that built and destroyed relationships like us all. When the relationship with Red and some of the boys ended for the final time you bet there was going to be a wake up call for Elvis. This book was thier way to shake him up, express thier hurt and a way to put food on thier table. Anyone of us would do the same and anyone who says otherwise.......well.......

FredAistair

Post by FredAistair »

Hollywood wrote:the bodyguard book is a must read for anyone who is attempting to be or claims to be an Elvis historian.

Right or wrong when the book was written Elvis was alive and even had an advance copy that he had read.

The book had nothing to do with Elvis's passing nor did it spur his death. As someone who has known many of the Memphis Mafia I can honestly say that there is nothing but love from them to Elvis. It may manifest itself in different or unusual ways but nonetheless they loved him deeply.

Red and Sonny are forthright men, who don't bs thier relationship with Elvis nor to my knowledge have ever changed one story in that book. You may not like what you read but Elvis was very much a flawed person like us all and because of money and insulation was able to get away with more than most.

Elvis is not a god, Elvis was a man. A human being that built and destroyed relationships like us all. When the relationship with Red and some of the boys ended for the final time you bet there was going to be a wake up call for Elvis. This book was thier way to shake him up, express thier hurt and a way to put food on thier table. Anyone of us would do the same and anyone who says otherwise.......well.......
And by a corollary that makes the authors of the book no better in any way

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

FredAistair wrote:
Hollywood wrote:the bodyguard book is a must read for anyone who is attempting to be or claims to be an Elvis historian.

Agreed 100%. In no way am I stating that the Memphis Mafia are angels certainly many are not nor is anyone. However that does not change the importance of the book itself and the factual information is contained within it. Could there be some spin on some of the stories done by Dunleavey with the publishing company absolutely. But the core truth is still there.

Liverbobs

Post by Liverbobs »

Hollywood wrote:
FredAistair wrote:

Agreed 100%. In no way am I stating that the Memphis Mafia are angels certainly many are not nor is anyone. However that does not change the importance of the book itself and the factual information is contained within it. Could there be some spin on some of the stories done by Dunleavey with the publishing company absolutely. But the core truth is still there.

Agree with the above, I believe Elvis had a pre release copy of the book in which he scribbled down jottings in the margins as he was wont to do with many of his books, this is in the hands of a private collector, I have no proof of this only what I've been told.
In my opinion, Elvis did the dirty on Red, who was supposed to be Elvis' best friend, if Elvis WAS cutting them loose because of money issues, or even because they tried to stop the flow of drugs then they deserved to be told face to face, but, as we know, Elvis didn't like confrontation. There's no bigger fan of Elvis on here than me but what he did was wrong.

What Happened was obviously written with bitterness and anger, but at least it was written whilst Elvis was alive, it's my opinion that had he lived, this book would have been what he needed to look at himself and admit that he WAS an addict and he needed help

"How Do You Expect Me To Soar Like An Eagle When I'm Surrounded By Turkeys? " .Anon.

Topic author
Cheiro

Post by Cheiro »

mike edwards66 wrote:That's the crux, because Elvis died, they got away with it. Because he died they were able, quickly, to reframe their revenge as some kind of "intervention".

FredAistair wrote:
I suggested that is how it could look and some answered it with irrelevancies.......
Thanks, Fred. Sometimes the shortest distance between two points is a straight line.
I agree.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Liverbobs wrote:
Hollywood wrote:
FredAistair wrote:

Agree with the above, I believe Elvis had a pre release copy of the book in which he scribbled down jottings in the margins as he was wont to do with many of his books, this is in the hands of a private collector, I have no proof of this only what I've been told.
In my opinion, Elvis did the dirty on Red, who was supposed to be Elvis' best friend, if Elvis WAS cutting them loose because of money issues, or even because they tried to stop the flow of drugs then they deserved to be told face to face, but, as we know, Elvis didn't like confrontation. There's no bigger fan of Elvis on here than me but what he did was wrong.

What Happened was obviously written with bitterness and anger, but at least it was written whilst Elvis was alive, it's my opinion that had he lived, this book would have been what he needed to look at himself and admit that he WAS an addict and he needed help
Impossible for someone with denial. Very common in addicts. And that is why Alcoholic Anonymous, Narcotic Anonymous and other anonymous groups plus rehabs (starting with Betty Ford) exist. No addict will appreciate or want to have his crap, dirty laundry, aired publicly. Elvis did many things wrong. But two wrongs don't make a right. And this book was one of them.

drjohncarpenter

Core truth. Thank you.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Core truth. Thank you.
You bet Doc!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Excellent post!!

DEH

Post by DEH »

They performed the ultimate betrayal on him. that is what they did. the hoping it would help him came at a later date. First it was out of anger and MONEY. and if u bought the book u handed over your money to them in exchange for opening up Elvis' private life foe all to see. and Elvis went to his grave worried what his fans and his daughter would think of him. and he never found out.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

DEH wrote:

They performed the ultimate betrayal on him. that is what they did. the hoping it would help him came at a later date. First it was out of anger and MONEY. and if u bought the book u handed over your money to them in exchange for opening up Elvis' private life foe all to see. and Elvis went to his grave worried what his fans and his daughter would think of him. and he never found out.
Interestingly enough, a strong argument can be made that the October 3, 1977 airing of Elvis In Concert did significantly more damage to Elvis' legacy than the book ever did, and that falls on the shoulders of his manager, Tom Parker. Talk about the ultimate betrayal by the one person who arguably was supposed to protect Elvis and his interests the most. The book had a tabloid effect, but was not initially read by millions of readers, unlike Elvis In Concert which was viewed by millions of viewers worldwide. And Elvis knew how bad he was during the CBS taping and that his substandard performance and impaired behavior was going to be on prime-time display for millions to see. Perhaps that was also a worry for Elvis going into the fall of 1977; the CBS television special was going to be a much more significant exposure than the book would ever be. And to this very day, Elvis In Concert still negatively impacts Elvis' legacy.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

midnightx wrote:
DEH wrote:

Interestingly enough, a strong argument can be made that the October 3, 1977 airing of Elvis In Concert did significantly more damage to Elvis' legacy than the book ever did, and that falls on the shoulders of his manager, Tom Parker. Talk about the ultimate betrayal by the one person who arguably was supposed to protect Elvis and his interests the most. The book had a tabloid effect, but was not initially read by millions of readers, unlike Elvis In Concert which was viewed by millions of viewers worldwide. And Elvis knew how bad he was during the CBS taping and that his substandard performance and impaired behavior was going to be on prime-time display for millions to see. Perhaps that was also a worry for Elvis going into the fall of 1977; the CBS television special was going to be a much more significant exposure than the book would ever be. And to this very day, Elvis In Concert still negatively impacts Elvis' legacy.
Yup, much more than any freakin book, including Goldman's. Was the Col that desperate for money to submit Elvis to this ultimate humiliation? Did he not care one iota?. If he didnt die in August, after watching this special in Oct, the next day people would be asking when do you think he will die, and it would have had nothing to do with the West book.

Hollywood

Post by Hollywood »

r&b wrote:
midnightx wrote:
DEH wrote:

Yup, much more than any freakin book, including Goldman's. Was the Col that desperate for money to submit Elvis to this ultimate humiliation? Did he not care one iota?. If he didnt die in August, after watching this special in Oct, the next day people would be asking when do you think he will die, and it would have had nothing to do with the West book.
Tom Parker certainly was not going to refuse the pay check that the CBS tapings included. Not just for himself, but Elvis as well. Elvis blew through tremendous amounts of cash and like it or not from 1976 to 1977 was no where near as popular as he was only three years earlier.

Record sales were thoroughly diminished and Colonel Parker was doing what he could to try to keep the money rolling in while Elvis blew through it. Colonel Parker also wasn't stupid he knew Elvis was at the end of the line and it was very obvious but you can't stop somebody who doesn't want to stop them selves. So rather than interfere to the extent where Elvis would blow and fire him again only this time permenantly he took the easier route of basically saying yes presenting the options to Elvis and allow him to make the final decisions.

By 1977 Elvis was grasping with his fingernails to maintain some semblance of who he was only a decade earlier even as much is only four years earlier. He dated a woman more than half his age, he didn't look physically fit, he didn't look like himself, and he certainly didn't sound like he had.

Elvis was strained, bloated and more into Medicaided relief than any other. In 1976 Elvis was already distancing himself greatly from the majority of his friends which include people Red/ Sonny/ Dave and Ed Parker. So Elvis's life was in a spiral and it was clear he was trying to maintain control but allowing others to do it on his behalf.

If you think along these lines then maybe you'll understand the frustration that Red/ Sonny and Dave had when they were fired once again and only this time not by their lifelong friend best friend, brother or even mentor .....rather fired by his Vernon someone who they along with everyone else seldom get along with. No explanation no personal touch nothing.

When your entire resume with very little advanced education is built on being an informally trained bodyguard of sorts and basically a gopher. There's not a whole heck of a lot for you to do the moment you're fired from that occupation. You scramble you use what you know and you do what you can to provide for yourself and for your family. Call it betrail if you choose, but I would argue that Elvis betrayed them first. Their payback might've been motivated by anger, distress and hurt feelings but have no doubt that the book was created to shake Elvis up as well to get him to look in the mirror and face the facts.

eligain

Post by eligain »

DEH wrote:

You could just as easily say that Elvis performed the ultimate betrayal on them.