Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Little Cabin Home On The Hill"

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:27 am

The original title of the Monroe-Flatt Bluegrass classic first recorded by Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys in 1947. Elvis Presley first recorded version of this number was made on December 4th 1956, during the informally recorded Million Dollar Quartet session.

Elvis's "Little Cabin On The Hill" came from the famous (to EP fans) "Nashville Marathon/Elvis Country" album sessions at RCA Studio B, on June 5, 1970.
Presley grabbed an acoustic guitar and got into some bluegrass with aforementioned song and "A Hundred Years From Now". Producer Felton Jarvis had the tape running, and engineer Al Pachucki had to even turn over the tape when running out on one side! This captured "the wonderful looseness Elvis often achieved at just the moment when he was trying to avoid buckling down to work." -Ernst Jorgensen, "A Life In Music".

A fiddle and banjo were overdubbed at RCA Studio A Nashville on July 22, 1970...by Buddy Spicher ( Nashville Hall of Famer, Nashville Cat, fiddle, violin and cello virtuoso) and Bobby Thompson (brilliant innovative banjoist http://www.nashvillescene.com/arts-cult ... n-19372005),respectively. These overdubs finely tuned the master without the track losing the original jam feel, in my opinion. Edit. An un-credited vocal harmony overdub is on the master as well.

This is Elvis at his most charming and relaxed playing his guitar with the band. Brilliantly recorded for the ages... I love it!

Imageupload images free

Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: "Little Cabin Home On The Hill"

Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 am

Thanks for that Juan. Love that kind of stuff! Was Charlie singing harmony? Didn't sound like him to me.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:49 pm

Excellent - Always loved this one too. It's just so damn catchy.

Cheers Juan.

Andy

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:44 pm

Joe Car wrote:Thanks for that Juan. Love that kind of stuff! Was Charlie singing harmony? Didn't sound like him to me.
Glad you liked it. Good question!
Edit later...not Charlie Hodge. I agree it doesn't sound like him either. Joe Babcock comes to mind. It was definitely an un-credited (for this song) vocal harmony overdub.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:46 pm

jetblack wrote:Excellent - Always loved this one too. It's just so damn catchy.

Cheers Juan.

Andy
Glad you liked it. Thanks!

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:30 pm

A very good, and fun song from the last album I completely enjoyed in his career. He sounds relaxed and having a good time and the band is superb. Proves that a good, relaxed atmosphere can make a song really listenable. No horns, no strings, no choral voices. Man I wish there were more of these.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:53 pm

Very very nice song.So simple and effective, I enjoy it Juan very much.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:51 pm

Great track!!

Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:11 pm

I like it.He must have had a great love of Blue Grass.Goes way back the flip side of That's Alright Mama.I agree that he should have recorded more.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:59 pm

Juan Luis wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Thanks for that Juan. Love that kind of stuff! Was Charlie singing harmony? Didn't sound like him to me.
Glad you liked it. Good question!
Edit later...not Charlie Hodge. I agree it doesn't sound like him either. Joe Babcock comes to mind. It was definitely an un-credited (for this song) vocal harmony overdub.

Yeah, who is that? It sure adds to the song!

Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Rockin_John wrote:Yeah, who is that? It sure adds to the song!

Perhaps it's Elvis.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:09 am

Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:36 pm

Domino wrote:

Thanks for that.

Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:47 pm

When I went to The Cluny in Newcastle to see Big Sandy he stated he had learned 'Little Cabin' from the Million Dollar Quartet album.

Luckily the clip is on Youtube and starts around 5.25.

Andy

Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:28 pm

I've always liked this one from the Elvis Country album. I even like it better on the 70'box where it follows A Hundred Years From Now. I looped these two together and it makes a very nice listen. :smt020

Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:58 am

bajo wrote:I've always liked this one from the Elvis Country album. I even like it better on the 70'box where it follows A Hundred Years From Now. I looped these two together and it makes a very nice listen. :smt020
Good idea! I'll try it.