Last Elvis Album (LP) You Listened To Was?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Re: Last Elvis Album (LP) You Listened To Was?

Post by emjel »

Back in 1975, anything new on Elvis even if it was mainly because of the sleeve was welcome - I mean I had all the tracks already on the original albums, but it was like a mini jukebox thing...close your eyes and be surprised at what played next after I put it on the turntable after got it home, and this is what I did last night.
`
Pictures Of Elvis IMG_E4792 copy.jpg
`
I bought the album on a coldish damp Saturday afternoon shortly after it came out back in the Autumn of '75, at NEMS (North End Music Store) in Liverpool - this was the shop just around the corner from The Cavern and where Brian Epstein had his head office which allowed a quick trip over the road to discover The Beatles performing one lunchtime.

This Pictures Of Elvis album released on the new RCA Starcall budget label had some great tracks on it, and a few not so great ones, but once again, some thought and creativity came from the UK division of RCA and was streets ahead of their German Democratic Republic counterpart who came up with one of the worst Elvis album covers ever, as seen below.
`
Pictures Of Elvis IMG_German copy.jpg
`
And the German album with this apalling sleeve was still in existence around the 50th anniversary but not on the Take Off Series as it originally had been, but just on the regular RCA budget label and with a new catalogue number.
`
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 5 years 5 months

Post by c. Richer »

The beauty of being a young Elvis fan growing up was that family members didn't have to scratch their heads for presents at Christmas and birthdays. My Mum got me this beautiful Camden because she loved the picture on the cover.
Inspired my emjel's previous post and i agree that the people at the cover art in the English division did their best to put some effort in the presentation.
I don't own a copy of the US "Mahalo From Elvis," but it's the same track listing as the beautiful, "The King, Elvis."
I think the British edition wins hands down as the "Mahalo" pic is quite unflattering.
It was a good album, with the "Aloha" after show recordings all on one album for the first time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-eye Member banned for life.fa-eye
fa-exclamation-triangle

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by emjel »

c. Richer wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:52 pm
The beauty of being a young Elvis fan growing up was that family members didn't have to scratch their heads for presents at Christmas and birthdays. My Mum got me this beautiful Camden because she loved the picture on the cover.
Inspired my emjel's previous post and i agree that the people at the cover art in the English division did their best to put some effort in the presentation.
I don't own a copy of the US "Mahalo From Elvis," but it's the same track listing as the beautiful, "The King, Elvis."
I think the British edition wins hands down as the "Mahalo" pic is quite unflattering.
It was a good album, with the "Aloha" after show recordings all on one album for the first time.
The only time I can recall when the UK division of Camden produced a sleeve that was inferior to the US release was on Separate Ways. The US version was bad enough with a King Kong sized Elvis standing in a road in a jumpsuit playing a guitar.....tacky and cheap and an insukt to someone like Elvis.
`
Separate ways US copy.jpg
`
But the UK one was laghable for the wrong reasons as it took the same jumpsuited Elvis, but this time superimposed him over a US freeway, almost like he was floating like some huge baloon.
`
Seperate ways UK.jpg
Last edited by emjel on Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

That made me laugh. Thanks.
Although I get your point, Elvis deserved better. The album shifted a lot of units though.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

One of my favourite albums as a young fan. The cover photo is priceless.
Bob Dylan referred to Leiber and Stoller during his MusiCare speech as "novelty song" writers. "They weren't saying anything serious."
The novelty never wears off for me.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

Buddy
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Post by Buddy »

emjel wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:08 pm
Back in 1975, anything new on Elvis even if it was mainly because of the sleeve was welcome - I mean I had all the tracks already on the original albums, but it was like a mini jukebox thing...close your eyes and be surprised at what played next after I put it on the turntable after got it home, and this is what I did last night.
`
`
I bought the album on a coldish damp Saturday afternoon shortly after it came out back in the Autumn of '75, at NEMS (North End Music Store) in Liverpool - this was the shop just around the corner from The Cavern and where Brian Epstein had his head office which allowed a quick trip over the road to discover The Beatles performing one lunchtime.

This Pictures Of Elvis album released on the new RCA Starcall budget label had some great tracks on it, and a few not so great ones, but once again, some thought and creativity came from the UK division of RCA and was streets ahead of their German Democratic Republic counterpart who came up with one of the worst Elvis album covers ever, as seen below.
`
`
And the German album with this apalling sleeve was still in existence around the 50th anniversary but not on the Take Off Series as it originally had been, but just on the regular RCA budget label and with a new catalogue number.
`
I loved the 1976 Hollywood LP Canada Edition with the big photo booklet......
s-l400(16).jpg
s-l400(17).jpg

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

Some great tracks and included the rare, "Mama" sung beautifully by Elvis.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

Buddy

Post by Buddy »

R-8786470-1505118301-2371.jpeg.jpg
ELVIS_PRESLEY_ELVIS+IN+DEMAND-133198c.jpg
Still love that album...and the picture of the cover

Asheville75
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Post by Asheville75 »

Just know listening to Almost In Love, UK release. I have the german pressing from the 80s but got this original UK release this day. This is a really good album, good stuff all the way, specially found of My Little Friend, Clean Up Your Own Backyard, yes all strong tracks but Long Legged Girl is the weakest one. Wonderful release by RCA 1970.

JohanD
Registered for: 21 years

Post by JohanD »

Fantastic show, great release

JohanD

wwelvis
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by wwelvis »

colonel snow wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 3:04 pm
Ready for a start this afternoon:

LP The legend lives on

The LP was released in 1976 on Presley Collectors Series PCS 1001. The LP was re-released several times and even in 10 inch format in the 80's

tracklist
Elvis talks about career (21-08-69 M) - Yesterday/Hey Jude (21-08-69 M) - Introductions (21-08-69 M) - In the ghetto (21-08-69 M) - Suspicious minds (21-08-69 M) - What 'd I say (21-08-69 M) - Can't help fallin' in love (21-08-69 M) - It's over (17-02-72 M) - A big hunk o'love (16-02-72 D) - It's impossible (16-02-72 D) - Bridge over troubled water (05-06-70 Undubbed)

colonel snow
NOT A BAD LP, COLONEL!!!

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

My Mother brought this album into the house. She reckoned it was his best along with, "Elvis In Concert." So listening to it today brings back happy memories on what is her anniversary.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

c. Richer
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!

Post by c. Richer »

Nice Sixties Selection.

fa-exclamation-triangle
fa-exclamation-triangle

Asheville75

Post by Asheville75 »

There is another thread about collecting Elvis these days, well, after a long break I started to buy and collect vinyl again one year ago, filling the gaps. This day I found three LPs in a record store and one of them is this gatefold double album from UK, 1981, The Wonderful World Of Elvis. This is a really fine collection and a fantastic cover. There is a more rare release from Marks and Spencer, red label, this one ordinary Camden, blue label. A lot of songs for the money, 24 tracks!

jimbo27
Registered for: 9 years 11 months

Post by jimbo27 »

From the 2-LP Set „Back in Nashville“
Wonderful! Elvis would have been a good folk singer imo.

SIDE B • COUNTRY/FOLK
01 Help Me Make It Through The Night - cake 3 (3:31)
02 Early Mornin' Rain - take I1 (4:26)
03 Until It's Time For You To Go - remake (3:48)
04 Lady Madonna
- impromptu performance (1:44)
os That's What You Get) For Lovin' Me - ake l (3:50)
o I'il Take You Home Again Kathleen 230)

Topic author
Johnny2523
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by Johnny2523 »

Today im re-playing the almost in love album, pickwick edition.

A fun listen! With some of the later soundtrack songs including Stay Away, some of the other pressings include ''Stay Away, Joe'' instead
20211220_015703.jpg

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Asheville75

Post by Asheville75 »

Listened to this album yesterday. It is the german release from 1974, very good sound! I have the german release on new german black label from the 80s but have not listened to this concert for many years. The opening of the album is in full tempo with See See Rider! The atmosphere is strong and I have no problem with the audience sound mix. Best number? For me: My Baby Left Me!
When I started to collect Elvis albums it was in the beginning of the 80s and almost all the LP:s I bougth then were on the new german black RCA label. But, If you compare them with the orange label releases in the 70s, is there a difference?

pmp
Registered for: 5 years

Post by pmp »

Asheville75 wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:19 pm

Just know listening to Almost In Love, UK release. I have the german pressing from the 80s but got this original UK release this day. This is a really good album, good stuff all the way, specially found of My Little Friend, Clean Up Your Own Backyard, yes all strong tracks but Long Legged Girl is the weakest one. Wonderful release by RCA 1970.
Quite why Long Legged Girl was used and not Hi-Heel Sneakers, which would have fitted perfectly here, I'm not quite sure.

Accused of being "a nerd in his 20s." I wish.

Asheville75

Post by Asheville75 »

Got this in the mail today, UK, 1975. The cover photo used a few years before for the UK C´mon Everybody release, re used also some of the songs. Strange. Also odd to use a wedding photo. But some fine tracks here, like Tonight Is So Right For Love, Guadalajara, Angel, A Little Less Conversation and I´ll Be There. That long legged girl turns up on almost all the Camdens...

LesterB
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by LesterB »

USA Orange label Indianapolis pressing of From Elvis In Memphis (not sure if its 1969 or 1971) but its the best that Ive heard this material to date.

JUST FOR TODAY

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

I've listened to a first press U.K. mono version of ''Blue Hawaii''
20220330_200053.jpg
20220330_200859.jpg
20220330_211834.jpg
enjoyed it so much i made a video with a sample

Asheville75

Post by Asheville75 »

Well, just now I´m listening to A Mess Of A Blues from "Elvis Forever Vol.2", a swedish pressing from 1980 on the lightgreen RCA International label. Sounds good and the compilation is indeed top notch. I guess the front cover photo must be from the post Aloha concert - no belt.

Buddy

Post by Buddy »

20220402_130725.jpg
20220402_130747.jpg
Canada 1974. Bought it in 1975 in London just to get/own the song High Heel Sneakers, which was unavailable during that time as long as you couldn't get a used 1967 single....

Topic author
Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

This fun camden record which comes in great sound quality and it's a pretty quiet pressing too!
IMG_20220404_211757.jpg

Asheville75

Post by Asheville75 »

...and a poster too!