Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
eligain
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

HBO's Big Little Lies?

Post by eligain »

Anyone see HBO's series "Big Little Lies" Elvis themed finale?

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 9 months

Re: HBO's Big Little Lies?

Post by elvis4life »

Topic author
eligain
Registered for: 13 years 6 months

Post by eligain »

Greystoke wrote:I'm about halfway through at the moment. But I've been speaking about Big Little Lies elsewhere and think it's quite an accomplished and involving series. It's well-written and beautifully shot, with great location footage and wonderful cinematography. With a different approach it could have been soapy or blackly comic (think Desperate Housewives), but it's more character-driven with a noir-inspired narrative that's leading towards a crime that has been committed.

The story, for anybody who hasn't seen it or doesn't know about this series, concerns husbands and wives, fathers and mothers, and their children in a small coastal Monterey town. Beneath the surface, however, is an undercurrent of jealously, lies, spite, anger and fear. Not just in among the adults, as their behaviour is reflected in the children who feature prominently here. And whilst certain aspects of the story may seem familiar in some ways, with such vivid narrative trappings and great performances, Big Little Lies promises to be one of this year's best series. But I'm only half way through, and like to reserve judgement until I've seen every episode.

The cast, I should say, is really great: Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley, Zoe Kravitz, Adam Scott and Alexander Skarsgard. With Kidman and Witherspoon producing and doing some of their finest work on screen in recent years. Kidman is especially good as a wife and mother who is bullied and abused by her husband (Skarsgard), but can't find a rationale for her own behaviour in their relationship. Whilst it's great to see Shailene Woodley taking on a more mature role that's undoubtedly offering new challenges for her.

Music also plays a vivid part in this series, which has a great soundtrack - including Elvis - and musically-aware characters, including the children. One of whom is called Ziggy, after Ziggy Stardust. Whilst an Elvis and Audrey Hepburn party is the setting for the event Big Little Lies is ultimately leading towards. This, having been established in the first episode as interviewees speak to the authorities about what took place and who was involved. But the details of such hasn't come to light thus far. Although this is recommended viewing in my opinion. But I'll stay away from this thread now incase of spoilers. Which flow too easily, unfortunately.

Yeah, that's why I avoided revealing any particulars or spoilers but yes it's a very good series. It's something that upon seeing the trailer, I didn't think I would be interested in but after failing to change the channel and accidently watching the first episode, Immediately got interested in it.

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Eggrert »

It's fantastic, and I urge everyone reading this to give it a chance. I'm generally not big on television, but HBO has produced some stunning series/films, and Big Little Lies is amongst the best of 'em.

If you do watch it, I strongly recommend going in blind. Don't even skim the Wikipedia article. This is one of those shows that's most effective when you don't know anything about it - not even the basic setup! There's something deliciously creepy and mysterious about it that's amplified even further by jumping into the proverbial deep end.

As for the Elvis elements throughout the show, I'll just say that they were tastefully done and added a nice accent to the show. And [SPOILER ALERT, OF SORTS] I'll never look at the Comeback Special leather jacket the same way again.

OnStage55
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Mood:

Post by OnStage55 »

I don't have HBO so i can't comment on the show but Zoe Kravitz version of Don't that she sang on the Season 1 finale i thought was nice, not anywhere near as great as Elvis original 58 classic but nice.

vbgt
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by vbgt »

Somebody post some spoilers. How is it Elvis themed? Is it just the finale?

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Post by Eggrert »

SPOILER ALERT: The entire show leads up to a trivia night event, where the theme is "dress up as Elvis and Audrey." Throughout the show there are clips of people practicing Elvis karaoke, suggesting songs, etc. At the end, pretty much all of the male characters are dressed up as Elvis, and you get a bunch of full-song karaoke before the big reveal.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Wiebe wrote: The kids in the movie had to get to Las Vegas and stumbled upon a flight full with Elvis impersonators.
Nicolas Cage did that once...HONEYMOON IN VEGAS :wink:

timothy_sideburns
Registered for: 7 years 2 months

Post by timothy_sideburns »

It's a great series, I really enjoyed it. Avoid spoilers if you intend watching it.

In the finale some of the characters sing elvis songs. I really appreciated that no one did any bad Elvis impressions - all the songs were in their own voices and were interpretative cover versions fo the Elvis classics. Often slowed down and made quite moody and atmospheric. I think Zoe Kravitz stole the show with her version of Don't.

Other songs covered in the finale were It's Now or Never, the wonder of you and Treat me nice.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Just started watching this on Demand. Up to episode 5. very, very good.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Just finished the series. In the finale, these songs were performed, Don't, How's The World treating You, Treat Me Nice, and The Wonder of You. More complete Elvis songs it seems than a regular Elvis concert. Songs that he ignored (except Wonder for a short while). Makes me once again angry that Elvis ignored his own great catalog for the likes of ONJ covers, My Way and other mediocrity he was not associated with. His concerts could have been so great, and no they would not be oldies hit parades. Thats total nonsense.