Re: BRUCE JACKSON: Six Years On The Road With Elvis

Post by Robert »

DEH wrote:I didn't start the story. Look elsewhere. :roll: :roll:
The Doc skipped a post I guess.

Keith Richards, Jr.
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Keith Richards, Jr. »

Okay, to sum up, no Bruce Jackson tapes exist, and definitely no "special" ones. Next topic...

For the record, I prefer Six Days On The Road With Gram Parsons. :D

Dedicated member of The Official Harum Scarum Appreciation Society!

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
dark moon wrote:This could be the most exciting book to escape/ release for a long time. Anyone know if they've drafted in a known El scholar to help with the project?
I wish it is Keith Flynn 8). Chances are that maybe "Joseph Pirzada" is involved in publishing of the book.... :roll:. If true, the design will be outstanding like all his books lately!. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

moonandback
Registered for: 8 years 4 months

Post by moonandback »

ORION wrote: I also have to ask how did tapes escape Ernst that labels like Madison (thinking of Boston '71) managed to get a copy of... Did Bruce ever 'sell' any of his tapes ?
Bruce never sold any tape. There was a rumour that he sent a copy of the Boston show to a very good friend to listen to and this so called friend sold the tape to a bootlegger. This is how this show came out - the only soundboard from this tour.
True or not, i don't know, it's just a rumour.

Randall

Post by Randall »

Sounds very interesting! I hope we hear more very soon! We shall see!

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Okay, to sum up, no Bruce Jackson tapes exist, and definitely no "special" ones. Next topic...
To close the loop on the soundboard topic, I checked my files and here's the exact quote Bruce Jackson emailed me when I asked him about soundboard recordings:
"Yes I have a quite a few. Most were turned in. I kept special ones" (the communication is dated January 2006)

When we discussed possible releases he simply mentioned the following:
"No, I'm staying right out of all the audio tapes"

Reason for me to post this is the fact that Bruce is not with us anymore and some people over here post information that's clearly not trustworthy.
Short statements from the guy who recorded the soundboards, forget about the rest.
Maybe the family will come to an agreement with FTD someday.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Robert wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Okay, to sum up, no Bruce Jackson tapes exist, and definitely no "special" ones. Next topic...
To close the loop on the soundboard topic, I checked my files and here's the exact quote Bruce Jackson emailed me when I asked him about soundboard recordings:
"Yes I have a quite a few. Most were turned in. I kept special ones" (the communication is dated January 2006)

Reason for me to post this is the fact that Bruce is not with us anymore and some people over here post information that's clearly not trustworthy.
Short statements from the guy who recorded the soundboards, forget about the rest.
Thanks Robert.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Robert wrote:To close the loop on the soundboard topic, I checked my files and here's the exact quote Bruce Jackson emailed me when I asked him about soundboard recordings:

Any chance we can see those emails as they were sent? I ask because the argument some will make is that "anyone can type quotes." Even showing his email address would not be a privacy breach, as he is no longer with us. Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Robert

Post by Robert »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:To close the loop on the soundboard topic, I checked my files and here's the exact quote Bruce Jackson emailed me when I asked him about soundboard recordings:

Any chance we can see those emails as they were sent? I ask because the argument some will make is that "anyone can type quotes." Even showing his email address would not be a privacy breach, as he is no longer with us. Thanks.
'Anyone can type quotes...'
As if I don't have anything better to do. My god.
You know what, if people are truly interested I can share more but only via PM.

In the meanwhile, can you provide a voice message of your relative who attended the Omaha 1977 show?
Anyone can claim they know people who saw Elvis in concert.
Thanks.

drjohncarpenter

Robert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Any chance we can see those emails as they were sent? I ask because the argument some will make is that "anyone can type quotes." Even showing his email address would not be a privacy breach, as he is no longer with us. Thanks.

In the meanwhile, can you provide a voice message of your relative who attended the Omaha 1977 show?
Thanks.
My friend -- not "relative" -- lives in Hawaii now. His mother is deceased. How about I PM you his phone number, and you can call him, since you are calling me a liar about his positive feelings regarding the Omaha show?

Again, I ask to see the emails as some will make the argument that "anyone can type quotes."

You refuse, that is your prerogative. But what you posted does not substantively add to this discussion.

Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Robert

Post by Robert »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Any chance we can see those emails as they were sent? I ask because the argument some will make is that "anyone can type quotes." Even showing his email address would not be a privacy breach, as he is no longer with us. Thanks.

Thanks.
My friend -- not "relative" -- lives in Hawaii now. His mother is deceased. How about I PM you his phone number, and you can call him, since you are calling me a liar about his positive feelings regarding the Omaha show?

Again, I ask to see the emails as some will make the argument that "anyone can type quotes."

You refuse, that is your prerogative. But what you posted does not substantively add to this discussion.

Thanks.
Pls quote where I call you a liar, thanks.
Secondly, don't hide behind 'some' if you are the one interested.
Finally, I didn't see a PM yet so... well no surprise really.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Some have claimed getting letters from Ernst Jorgensen. I take their word for it. And it is insulting when good longtime members are asked for this kind of proof which really is for stubborn reasons, not really expecting to get the "proof" at all. Discussion not a trial or hearing.

drjohncarpenter

Robert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:'Anyone can type quotes...'

Thanks.

Thanks.
I didn't send a PM because you did not accept the offer.

Frankly, your defensive responses tell us all we need to know about your quotes.

Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

When did Jackson "turn in" his soundboards? During the periods in which he recorded the concerts per management's directive, or years later? If he kept "special ones," and assuming he turned most soundboards in within a reasonable amount of time, how did he know they were special?

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

If I say that I'm throwing things away but keeping the "special" items, that may not mean that what I keep is special to anyone else. It may mean for example, the book I'm keeping was given to me as a present. The book itself might be run of the mill. So when we talk about special tapes, they may be significant dates but the contents may be identical to a hundred other shows. It's all wishful thinking.

Robert

Post by Robert »

The Pirate wrote:If I say that I'm throwing things away but keeping the "special" items, that may not mean that what I keep is special to anyone else. It may mean for example, the book I'm keeping was given to me as a present. The book itself might be run of the mill. So when we talk about special tapes, they may be significant dates but the contents may be identical to a hundred other shows. It's all wishful thinking.
I know where you're going and I didn't ask Bruce for specific dates as I didn't want to push him, especially since he took the time to do a few pleasant and insightful email conversations.
But Elvis' crew, like no other knew when concerts were out of the ordinary.

But as I told earlier, the exact dates in possession of the Jackson family is unknown to me.
What we do know are the shows missing until this very day so I see a link right there.

Since Indy & Pittsburgh are known to circulate among collectors, my best guess would be July '75 soundboards and others from '71-'73.
Atlanta Dec '76 may be another one since Elvis made a specific comment towards Bruce during the show.

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Robert wrote:
The Pirate wrote:If I say that I'm throwing things away but keeping the "special" items, that may not mean that what I keep is special to anyone else. It may mean for example, the book I'm keeping was given to me as a present. The book itself might be run of the mill. So when we talk about special tapes, they may be significant dates but the contents may be identical to a hundred other shows. It's all wishful thinking.
I know where you're going and I didn't ask Bruce for specific dates as I didn't want to push him, especially since he took the time to do a few pleasant and insightful email conversations.
But Elvis' crew, like no other knew when concerts were out of the ordinary.

But as I told earlier, the exact dates in possession of the Jackson family is unknown to me.
What we do know are the shows missing until this very day so I see a link right there.

Since Indy & Pittsburgh are known to circulate among collectors, my best guess would be July '75 soundboards and others from '71-'73.
Atlanta Dec '76 may be another one since Elvis made a specific comment towards Bruce during the show.
Unreleased, is unreleased, and for some people the fact that they get to hear a new show is sufficient. But reading the comments here it's obvious that some fans are expecting that the very fact a show was described as "special" it means the contents are "special" (ie maybe new songs.) But it doesn't mean that at all. It might mean that, but equally it might, as you say, only mean that Bruce got a shout out. Call me a miserable old bugger, but I'm not going to get excited by a show just because of the on stage announcements. Not even if Jack Lord is involved.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Robert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks.
Maybe he can´t, he disabled "PM" on his FECC account.... :roll:. I tried to contact him many years ago in vain! :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.
Robert wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:

Thanks.

Thanks.
Maybe he can´t, he disabled "PM" on his FECC account.... :roll:. I tried to contact him many years ago in vain! :shock:. Bye for now :smt006.
If that's the case, and that's fine, I'm sure DJC can just say that..

misterB
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by misterB »

As mentionned before others may have unreleased rec. The jarvis familly and others and most of all Ed Bonja who is the nefew of tom Diskin told me his aunt the french , jeannie, has at some point or maybe still have in his posession a large number of rehearsal recordings in various quality but most of the time very good belonging to her late husband . Do someone know if there's some truth in those statements ?

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Wiebe wrote:
midnightx wrote:When did Jackson "turn in" his soundboards? During the periods in which he recorded the concerts per management's directive, or years later? If he kept "special ones," and assuming he turned most soundboards in within a reasonable amount of time, how did he know they were special?
Because he was at every show, he knew what we know now, which songs were rare and how good or special the shows were compared to the rest of the tour, I would imagine.
About the email, anyone can forge an email. How about trusting one another on here and being thankful that one of our members took the time and effort and had the guts to contact Bruce and can provide us with some very interesting info. A 'thank you' would be more appropriate than asking for proof. Why would anyone want to make this up?
Nonsense. Jackson was a sound engineer, not a hardcore fan reviewing the quality of concerts. Much like what was experienced by many of the musicians on stage, these concerts likely often blended together, tour after tour, casino engagement after engagement. It was difficult to know what was special or average on a nightly basis -- for example, it wasn't until viewing the Elvis In Concert footage that some of Elvis' background vocalists realized what terrible shape Elvis was in. It is hard to imagine that in the midst of a series of shows from the mid-1970's, that Jackson would hear something "special" that the rest of the Elvis world also deem as special, and put the soundboard aside. Many of these so-called "special" shows are due to specific dates or shows with some sort of unique performance, things that often did not become noteworthy until many years later after the fact.
Robert wrote: Since Indy & Pittsburgh are known to circulate among collectors, my best guess would be July '75 soundboards and others from '71-'73.
Why would July '75 have been earmarked as being "special?" Today, a faction of fans are intrigued with July '75, partially because the soundboards are "missing," and partially because of the overrated Nassau shows. 1975 was a very average period for Elvis' live work, it is doubtful Jackson kept an entire tour as a keepsake, especially during the period where management gave a specific directive to record Elvis' concerts to soundboard and to turn those recordings into management. Perhaps these shows ended up with Diskin and were subsequently discarded or removed from his possession and into the hands of a collector? As stated earlier in this thread, Jackson may very well have had a number of 1971-1973 soundboards in his collection because it does not appear management ever asked for those tapes, but that would not necessarily make the concerts in question "special."

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know what special concerts or events. Fans or not, knew the better shows and performances. Pittsburgh and Indy, and Atlanta, would be a D'oh for all crew (sound people especially have to be alert anyhow) involved, knowing it was special. This is just a way to question the "messenger".

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Juan Luis wrote:Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know what special concerts or events. Fans or not, knew the better shows and performances. Pittsburgh and Indy, and Atlanta, would be a D'oh for all crew (sound people especially have to be alert anyhow) involved, knowing it was special. This is just a way to question the "messenger".
Unless the question was asked - "What did you mean when you said 'special' concerts?" - then we're none the wiser. I have coffee mugs that I consider 'Special' but I don't think anyone here would be able to pick them out of a line up.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

The Pirate wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Doesn't take a brain surgeon to know what special concerts or events. Fans or not, knew the better shows and performances. Pittsburgh and Indy, and Atlanta, would be a D'oh for all crew (sound people especially have to be alert anyhow) involved, knowing it was special. This is just a way to question the "messenger".
Unless the question was asked - "What did you mean when you said 'special' concerts?" - then we're none the wiser. I have coffee mugs that I consider 'Special' but I don't think anyone here would be able to pick them out of a line up.
Way above average would be considered special. Out of the ordinary. For a sound man that would be bored day in day out...one that jolted him "Hey Elvis is cookin' tonight!"...there were few and far between maybe. And those would be "special". One cannot get any more discerning with it being a bit vague. Just common sense. To me at least. Houston (problem) for example, would be special. But I don't think he meant special in that sense. BTW..if you made coffee mugs, and reserved a few for yourself cause they're special. Those would be the ones I would want, If I were interested in coffee mugs.