Elvis Favorite Chuck Berry Has Passed On

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mister Moon

Re: Elvis Favorite Chuck Berry Has Passed On

Post by Mister Moon »

Scarre wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Wasn't frus75 the original "topic author" of this thread ?

What's goin' on ?
It's "funny", right...

It was actually PMP2 who first posted this news in the OT section. frus75 was the first to post it in the Elvis section. John? He simply copied it...
This morning, I saw two threads on the same topic, Chuck's passing.

I had to post something about the subject, so I did what I always do in these cases : posting in the oldest thread, out of respect for the person who posted it first, in this case poormadpeter2. During this checking, I noticed that frus75 had started the thread only minutes later. That's why I wondered where his original post had gone - an absence that made drjohncarpenter the fake author of the topic.

But it looks like nobody, not even the related forum members, have nothing to say about it.

I think I'm going to leave this place real soon. This is too weird for me, and that's saying something.

lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

Mister Moon wrote:
Scarre wrote:

What's goin' on ?
It's "funny", right...

It was actually PMP2 who first posted this news in the OT section. frus75 was the first to post it in the Elvis section. John? He simply copied it...

I had to post something about the subject, so I did what I always do in these cases : posting in the oldest thread, out of respect for the person who posted it first, in this case poormadpeter2. During this checking, I noticed that frus75 had started the thread only minutes later. That's why I wondered where his original post had gone - an absence that made drjohncarpenter the fake author of the topic.

But it looks like nobody, not even the related forum members, have nothing to say about it.

I think I'm going to leave this place real soon. This is too weird for me, and that's saying something.
MUCH ADIEU ABOUT NOTHING. JUST ENJOY THE FORUM AND DON'T LET INSIGNIFICANT THINGS BOTHER YOU. NOW I'LL ADMIT THAT PEOPLE SHOULDN'T COPY THINGS FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S POST, BUT IT'S NOT WORTH LEAVING THE FORUM OVER IT.

ELVISLY,

LINDA

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

lovin' EP wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Scarre wrote:

What's goin' on ?
It's "funny", right...

MUCH ADIEU ABOUT NOTHING. JUST ENJOY THE FORUM AND DON'T LET INSIGNIFICANT THINGS BOTHER YOU. NOW I'LL ADMIT THAT PEOPLE SHOULDN'T COPY THINGS FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S POST, BUT IT'S NOT WORTH LEAVING THE FORUM OVER IT.

ELVISLY,

LINDA
First of all, the tone of your post, and those bold capitals are not appreciated. Who do you think you are ?

If you think this is an "insignificant thing", that's ok for me.

I think it's an important thing, and I would like to read an explanation.

Now, you can tell us again about your Elvis experiences. We will read them with interest, as always.

PS - It's written "much ado about nothing".

Elfan
Registered for: 16 years 11 months

Post by Elfan »

R.I.P Chuck.
I loved his music and showmanship.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mister Moon wrote:This morning, I saw two threads on the same topic, Chuck's passing.
The two threads were accidentally merged, one was bare bones, the other not. Admin corrected the error. May we stay on topic, please?

DEH wrote:I have also heard a story of Elvis and Sammy Davis jumping up on stage during a Chuck Berry performance as a practical joke. U don't hear many people say a lot of nice things about him as a person. just a legend in music. I have heard plenty of negative stories of him as a person. Its too bad.
That didn't happen, but as I wrote on page 3:

According to Jerry Schilling, he, Elvis, Priscilla, Sammy Davis, Jr. and wife Altovise, all snuck in to see Berry playing a "3 AM" show in Las Vegas. Given Jerry's description of Priscilla being there, this would most likely have been between 1969 and 1971.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by DEH »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:This morning, I saw two threads on the same topic, Chuck's passing.
The two threads were accidentally merged, one was bare bones, the other not. Admin corrected the error. May we stay on topic, please?

DEH wrote:I have also heard a story of Elvis and Sammy Davis jumping up on stage during a Chuck Berry performance as a practical joke. U don't hear many people say a lot of nice things about him as a person. just a legend in music. I have heard plenty of negative stories of him as a person. Its too bad.
That didn't happen, but as I wrote on page 3:

According to Jerry Schilling, he, Elvis, Priscilla, Sammy Davis, Jr. and wife Altovise, all snuck in to see Berry playing a "3 AM" show in Las Vegas. Given Jerry's description of Priscilla being there, this would most likely have been between 1969 and 1971.
Chuck corrected me. Not u. :D

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 7 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

I recall reading a letter (October 15, 1986) written by the late Carl Sagan where it is stated that Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" is actually in the Voyager spacecraft. That's impressive!!!

rlj

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Mister Moon wrote:First of all, the tone of your post, and those bold capitals are not appreciated. Who do you think you are ?

Now, you can tell us again about your Elvis experiences. We will read them with interest, as always.

lovin Ep isn't yelling at you she posts in all caps because she has diabetes and has trouble seeing because of it. Just FYI.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Mister Moon wrote:
lovin' EP wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Scarre wrote:

What's goin' on ?
It's "funny", right...

ELVISLY,

LINDA
First of all, the tone of your post, and those bold capitals are not appreciated. Who do you think you are ?

I have no idea what happened, is the straightforward answer. Sorry, not been online most of the day.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The two threads were accidentally merged, one was bare bones, the other not. Admin corrected the error.
No,

This morning there were two threads on Chuck's passing; the original one by poormadpeter2 (96702) and the one posted by frus75 about 15 minutes later (96704).

A post by elvisalisellers on page 1 of this thread gave the link to a third thread (96703), but by the time I read the forum this morning that one had already disappeared, although this thread was still started by a post by frus75.

brian wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:First of all, the tone of your post, and those bold capitals are not appreciated. Who do you think you are ?

lovin Ep isn't yelling at you she posts in all caps because she has diabetes and has trouble seeing because of it. Just FYI.

brian, not all of her posts are written like that.

https://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/search.php?author_id=11673&sr=posts

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The two threads were accidentally merged, one was bare bones, the other not. Admin corrected the error. May we stay on topic, please?.
You just happen to know all this...just by guessing. Sure...

drjohncarpenter

rlj4ep wrote:I recall reading a letter (October 15, 1986) written by the late Carl Sagan where it is stated that Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" is actually in the Voyager spacecraft. That's impressive!!!

rlj
Voyager 1 was launched by NASA a few weeks after Elvis died in 1977, and Chuck Berry was indeed part of the music included:

Each Voyager space probe carries a gold-plated audio-visual disc in the event that the spacecraft is ever found by intelligent life forms from other planetary systems. The disc carries photos of the Earth and its lifeforms, a range of scientific information, spoken greetings from people such as the Secretary-General of the United Nations and the President of the United States and a medley, "Sounds of Earth," that includes the sounds of whales, a baby crying, waves breaking on a shore, and a collection of music, including works by Mozart, Blind Willie Johnson, Chuck Berry, and Valya Balkanska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1#Golden_record

The best part of this was a "Saturday Night Live" sketch in April 1978 called "Next Week In Review," that noted "another civilization" had encountered the probe and sent the world a message that would appear on the cover of Time magazine the next week:

SEND MORE CHUCK BERRY.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/77/77rreview.phtml

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

Mister Moon, I have diabetes and trouble seeing. That's why I write in all caps. But some members have complained about me writing in caps, so I frequently switch between writing in caps and not writing in caps. It's much easier for me to see my computer and read my message to check for typos when I write in caps. I am currently taking shots in my eyes to try and help the situation.

I don't understand what your problem is. Why would you post my previous message?? Some of them are not in caps, and I think I have just explained why.

I did not express any kind of "attitude." I just didn't want you to leave the forum as you have been a very appreciated member.

Elvisly,

LInda
Last edited by lovin' EP on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

sylvain
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by sylvain »

He was one of The greatest
R.I.P.

drjohncarpenter

jurasic1968 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's Elvis' SEARING live version of one of Chuck Berry's very greatest songs:

Elvis Presley "Johnny B. Goode" From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis (RCA 6020, November 22, 1969)
Taped at the Sunday, August 24, 1969 MS, International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV

Elvis never taped a better version than the one this night. Wow!
Incredible version. Thanks, Doc. R.I.P.,Chuck Berry.
Thanks. I remember being in college, and playing that kick-ass version of "Johnny B. Goode" in my dorm room. A dude from down the hall walked in and asked who it was, and I told him. He was so surprised. He said he had no idea Elvis ever rocked out like that. And he loved the lead guitar.

At a July 1970 rehearsal at RCA Hollywood, you can hear a tough, funky, wah-wah filled version of "Johnny B. Goode," and at the end Elvis says "that's a GOOD number, boy."

He was right. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:I recall reading a letter (October 15, 1986) written by the late Carl Sagan where it is stated that Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" is actually in the Voyager spacecraft. That's impressive!!!

rlj
Voyager 1 was launched by NASA a few weeks after Elvis died in 1977, and Chuck Berry was indeed part of the music included:

Each Voyager space probe carries a gold-plated audio-visual disc in the event that the spacecraft is ever found by intelligent life forms from other planetary systems. The disc carries photos of the Earth and its lifeforms, a range of scientific information, spoken greetings from people such as the Secretary-General of the United Nations and the President of the United States and a medley, "Sounds of Earth," that includes the sounds of whales, a baby crying, waves breaking on a shore, and a collection of music, including works by Mozart, Blind Willie Johnson, Chuck Berry, and Valya Balkanska.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1#Golden_record

The best part of this was a "Saturday Night Live" sketch in April 1978 called "Next Week In Review," that noted "another civilization" had encountered the probe and sent the world a message that would appear on the cover of Time magazine the next week:

SEND MORE CHUCK BERRY.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/77/77rreview.phtml
Thanks Doc. Appreciate the SNL link, I've never seen it before.

rlj

escapeguy

Post by escapeguy »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's Elvis' SEARING live version of one of Chuck Berry's very greatest songs:

Elvis Presley "Johnny B. Goode" From Memphis To Vegas/From Vegas To Memphis (RCA 6020, November 22, 1969)
Taped at the Sunday, August 24, 1969 MS, International Hotel, Las Vegas, NV

Elvis never taped a better version than the one this night. Wow!
Incredible version. Thanks, Doc. R.I.P.,Chuck Berry.
Thanks. I remember being in college, and playing that kick-ass version of "Johnny B. Goode" in my dorm room. A dude from down the hall walked in and asked who it was, and I told him. He was so surprised. He said he had no idea Elvis ever rocked out like that. And he loved the lead guitar.

At a July 1970 rehearsal at RCA Hollywood, you can hear a tough, funky, wah-wah filled version of "Johnny B. Goode," and at the end Elvis says "that's a GOOD number, boy."

He was right. ;-)
Just outta high school I worked temporarily at peaches records and tapes in Southern California, Van the manager said today was my day to put any tape I wanted on...I put Elvis in Person,,,,it was impressive I personally had 4 people come up and ask what that was playing and they bought it,,,I heard the guy working next to me get asked a couple of times and I saw Van the manager field the same question,,,I think we sold 6 or 8 copies that day,,,,It was and still is fantastic total kick ass rock and roll by Elvis

Master of Escape
Embracing Life by tempting Death...Michael Griffin lives to tell!
1 man. 2-Time winner of the World Magic Awards

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:"Nadine" is my all-time favorite.
"Honey is that you?"

A shame we don't have a Presley version of this.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

Here's a terrific shot of Chuck Berry in London on Elvis' 30th birthday, Friday, January 8, 1965:

A spot of tea, anyone?

650108_in London.jpg
Berry was there for a U.K. tour, Presley was getting ready to record the soundtrack to MGM's "Harum Scarum."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

A really nice pic drjohncarpenter. Thanks for finding it and posting it!!

rlj

GERRY
BANNED FOR LIFE!
BANNED FOR LIFE!
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by GERRY »

[quote] If Elvis Presley cracked open the door for rock & roll, Chuck Berry kicked it wide open—and did his signature duck walk over it for good measure. Even before Buddy Holly settled on a sound, the St. Louis native had pop success with 1955's "Maybellene," a rewrite of the country song "Ida Red."[quote]

Nah I disagree they couldn't get through the door it was locked till El is.

Elvis broke through the door and kicked it down. Chuck Berry then walked through it.

Author is massively downplaying Elvis but r.i.p CB.

drjohncarpenter

JEFF d wrote:So happy I got to see him once... RIP thank you for the great music!

This "American Hot Wax'' video is the first time I remember ever seeing him :D

JEFF d
EP fan
That was a fun movie.

Taylor Hackford's 1987 documentary "Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll" is a must-watch:

871008_Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll poster.JPG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail!_Hail!_Rock_'n'_Roll
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

drjohncarpenter

President Barack Obama offered a rare personal tweet on Sunday about Chuck Berry:

Barack Obama‏
@BarackObama

Chuck Berry rolled over everyone who came before him – and turned up everyone who came after. We'll miss you, Chuck. Be good.

8:51 AM - 19 Mar 2017
https://twitter.com/BarackObama/status/843490091519623169
Chuck's not the only one we miss. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's a terrific shot of Chuck Berry in London on Elvis' 30th birthday, Friday, January 8, 1965:

A spot of tea, anyone?

650108_in London.jpg
Berry was there for a U.K. tour, Presley was getting ready to record the soundtrack to MGM's "Harum Scarum."
If money was God to Chuck Berry, as some have stated. He would of traded places with Elvis in Harum Scarum faster than a blink.