Elvis Favorite Chuck Berry Has Passed On

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

r&b

Re: Elvis Favorite Chuck Berry Has Passed On

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:I don't think I've ever seen the Tammy Show before. I'll have to see it for myself.
This is what you're looking for:

T.A.M.I. Show
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.A.M.I._Show

A recent DVD issue is available in best-ever quality, and for less than $10:
https://www.amazon.com/T-M-I-Show-Collectors/dp/B0030ATZIA
I recently purchased the blu-ray edition which is also coupled with the TNT show from 1965. Same basic idea, but not quite as good. Still a stellar show. Quality is superb. These were the 2 big concert films in the mid-60's to go along with Shindig and Hullabaloo on TV. Good times for teens back then. Sad, to say, Elvis wasnt involved in any of this, but he really wasnt missed either to be honest. Only some here would hold it against those films because they didnt feature him . After all he was a movie star and this was beneath him. I often wondered if he was on what he would have sang on TAMI. He really didnt have anything big recently on the charts unless you want to count Kissin Cousins, a top 20 hit. Maybe Devil In Disguise from the previous year? More likely some classics, but jeez then he would be looked at as an oldies act!

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:This is what you're looking for:

T.A.M.I. Show

I recently purchased the blu-ray edition which is also coupled with the TNT show from 1965. Same basic idea, but not quite as good. Still a stellar show. Quality is superb. These were the 2 big concert films in the mid-60's to go along with Shindig and Hullabaloo on TV. Good times for teens back then. Sad, to say, Elvis wasnt involved in any of this, but he really wasnt missed either to be honest. Only some here would hold it against those films because they didnt feature him . After all he was a movie star and this was beneath him. I often wondered if he was on what he would have sang on TAMI. He really didnt have anything big recently on the charts unless you want to count Kissin Cousins, a top 20 hit. Maybe Devil In Disguise from the previous year? More likely some classics, but jeez then he would be looked at as an oldies act!
Doing wishful thinking, had Elvis consented to appear, he would have closed the show. Stakes immediately raised. Assume he would do as Chuck Berry did at the top of the film, two super hits and one excellent, newly-issued single. That single would be "Memphis, Tennessee," the Johnny Rivers fiasco erased from memory. Assume he would assemble a kick-ass band and rehearse properly.

Possible set:

Heartbreak Hotel
Memphis, Tennessee
Hound Dog

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

T.A.M.I. Show

Doing wishful thinking, had Elvis consented to appear, he would have closed the show. Stakes immediately raised. Assume he would do as Chuck Berry did at the top of the film, two super hits and one excellent, newly-issued single. That single would be "Memphis, Tennessee," the Johnny Rivers fiasco erased from memory. Assume he would assemble a kick-ass band and rehearse properly.

Possible set:

Heartbreak Hotel
Memphis, Tennessee
Hound Dog
It would have been nice. If he really wanted to get Memphis out there and believed the song had top 10 potential, why didnt he just go to the Col. and demand a TV spot (Sullivan, Shindig, etc) . It would have boosted any new single, probably back catalog sales, and who knows what else. Here we have an artist who just never seemed to step outside the comfort zone or take career control whatsoever. It was needed badly after The Beatles broke. He needed a boost. Both artist and manager if they had any vision at all, had to see this.

Fabbe
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Fabbe »

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

T.A.M.I. Show

Possible set:

Heartbreak Hotel
Memphis, Tennessee
Hound Dog
It would have been nice. If he really wanted to get Memphis out there and believed the song had top 10 potential, why didnt he just go to the Col. and demand a TV spot (Sullivan, Shindig, etc) . It would have boosted any new single, probably back catalog sales, and who knows what else. Here we have an artist who just never seemed to step outside the comfort zone or take career control whatsoever. It was needed badly after The Beatles broke. He needed a boost. Both artist and manager if they had any vision at all, had to see this.
Yes I understand what you mean. It seems like they (Col and El) just gave up competing with the new music - took a back seat basically. Otherwise, it is standard in promotion to appear to TV, concerts etc.

Joe Car

Post by Joe Car »

Fabbe wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

T.A.M.I. Show

Possible set:

Heartbreak Hotel
Memphis, Tennessee
Hound Dog
Yes I understand what you mean. It seems like they (Col and El) just gave up competing with the new music - took a back seat basically. Otherwise, it is standard in promotion to appear to TV, concerts etc.
Right or wrong, Elvis' focus wasn't on his music at the time, it was primarily on making movies. In 1964, VLV had just come out during the British Invasion and was a huge success and based on this, I can see why they continued doing movies and not live performances or tv appearances. In hindsight that was a mistake, I agree but behind all of this, we have to remember the Colonel disassociating all the skilled writers from Elvis, all the while not wanting to give up publishing rights and lose their cut, thus things dried up pretty quickly.

elvis4life
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by elvis4life »

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/chuck-review-chuck-berry-s-last-album-is-a-masterpiece-1.13720997

‘Chuck’ review: Chuck Berry’s last album is a masterpiece

Updated June 9, 2017 11:31 AM
By Glenn Gamboa glenn.gamboa@newsday.com

Chuck Berry's "Chuck" is the rock icon's first studio album in 38 years. Photo Credit: Dualtone

REVIEW

CHUCK BERRY

“Chuck”

THE GRADE A-

BOTTOM LINE Hail! Hail! Rock and roll! The legend may have saved his best for last.

Chuck Berry’s legacy as “The Father of Rock and Roll” has been secure for decades, as indelible as the guitar riffs of “Johnny B. Goode” or the image of him duckwalking across a stage.

For those who still have questions, even after all the testimonials that came with his death in March, Berry has left behind “Chuck” (Dualtone), his first new studio album since 1979’s “Rock It” to silence the doubters.

When Berry announced the album’s completion on his 90th birthday, dedicating it to his wife of 68 years, Themetta Berry, he added, “Now I can hang up my shoes!”

It’s an understandable thought. As final statements go, “Chuck” is a doozy — filled with the passion and inventiveness of his early work, as well as his sense of humor.

Berry even keeps up with the times, joking in his version of Tony Joe White’s “3/4 Time (Enchiladas),” “All of my life, there’s one thing I’ve been hoping to find a woman like you, honey, whose software matches this hard drive of mine.” Later, he sings about cars and guitars, making it a near-perfect capsule of all his early interests.

Berry’s guitar still drives “Lady B. Goode,” the sequel to his classic about Johnny. And he is definitely in control of the roaring first single, “Big Boys,” which features Tom Morello on guitar and Nathaniel Rateliff on booming backing vocals. Berry tells the tale of how nerdy guys can turn into legendary musicians in slightly more than 3 minutes, one more triumphant rock tale to add to his catalog.

However, Berry also sings from his older, wiser point of view. “Darlin’,” his duet with daughter Ingrid Berry, is poignant, as they tell each other “The good times come, but do not stay.”

The potent combination makes “Chuck” one of Berry’s best albums, possibly his strongest ever from start to finish.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

I am very happy it gets good reviews. I have listened the new album and I find it.... , well I'd rather not say. Now, I love the guy, and with my heart I can appreciate this new record for what it is, I admire his effort and his remarkable dedication to rock and roll. But the music of this new album is ...

The Pirate

Post by The Pirate »

Fabbe wrote:I am very happy it gets good reviews. I have listened the new album and I find it.... , well I'd rather not say. Now, I love the guy, and with my heart I can appreciate this new record for what it is, I admire his effort and his remarkable dedication to rock and roll. But the music of this new album is ...
It starts out great, and it tapers off. It begins to go downhill about half way through if not before, and seeing as there isn't a song in the world which couldn't be improved by the absence of his daughter's vocals, I'm afraid this record (where she appears more than once) is hampered straight away. Having said that, it's still better than I expected.

Fabbe

Post by Fabbe »

The Pirate wrote:
Fabbe wrote:I am very happy it gets good reviews. I have listened the new album and I find it.... , well I'd rather not say. Now, I love the guy, and with my heart I can appreciate this new record for what it is, I admire his effort and his remarkable dedication to rock and roll. But the music of this new album is ...
It starts out great, and it tapers off. It begins to go downhill about half way through if not before, and seeing as there isn't a song in the world which couldn't be improved by the absence of his daughter's vocals, I'm afraid this record (where she appears more than once) is hampered straight away. Having said that, it's still better than I expected.
true, I agree he sounds better than I expected .

bajo

Post by bajo »

I like it! I've always held CB high and I can easily sit in and listen to this! I bought it! :smt020

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Berry’s guitar still drives “Lady B. Goode,” the sequel to his classic about Johnny.

As far back as 1924, there was already a song named "Oh, Lady Be Good ! ", written by George and Ira Gershwin.

It's clear that Chuck's classic song was a nod to that earlier composition (with the added "e" to Johnny's surname).

I guess the circle is kind of closed now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oh,_Lady_Be_Good!

Artie Shaw and His Orchestra from the 1939 short, "Symphony of Swing".