Elvis in 1970 --> The Last Great Year

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

egilj
Registered for: 14 years

Re: Elvis in 1970 --> The Last Great Year

Post by egilj »

No doubt Elvis used the yodel/falsetto/crack/break-technique (unsure of what is the most common expression for it in English) more frequently at the Memphis sessions than before or later in his career. The reasons for it, as partly noted, was because of the slight horseness to his voice between 1967 and 1971 and because of the high key they picked for a lot of the numbers. In addition it was probably also a matter of choice.

ICanHelp
Registered for: 10 years

Post by ICanHelp »

r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:When you listen, never again would a slow plaintive ballad have that much emotion put into it.
Listen to the studio recordings of I've Lost You and You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
I wouldnt call those songs slow plaintive ballads. They are the beginning of the bombast era to me with a ton of stuff going on. Im thinking along the lines of Do You Know Who I Am. Sparse arrangement, subtle vocal.
You mean like Separate Ways, Always on my Mind, Bringing it Back, Pieces of My Life, and Danny Boy?

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:I wouldnt call those songs slow plaintive ballads. They are the beginning of the bombast era to me with a ton of stuff going on. Im thinking along the lines of Do You Know Who I Am. Sparse arrangement, subtle vocal.
You mean like Separate Ways, Always on my Mind, Bringing it Back, Pieces of My Life, and Danny Boy?
None of those are anything like the ballads done in 1969 at American Sound.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

r&b

Post by r&b »

ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
r&b wrote:When you listen, never again would a slow plaintive ballad have that much emotion put into it.
Listen to the studio recordings of I've Lost You and You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
I wouldnt call those songs slow plaintive ballads. They are the beginning of the bombast era to me with a ton of stuff going on. Im thinking along the lines of Do You Know Who I Am. Sparse arrangement, subtle vocal.
no. I posted what songs I mean. There was nothing as sparse, plaintive and soulful (all 3 in combination) like In The Ghetto after 1969. And soulful is the key word here. Separate Ways and Danny Boy may be sparse but his voice is miles away from the soulfulness of 1969. Bringing It Back? Thats a Jarvis production mess!

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:I wouldnt call those songs slow plaintive ballads. They are the beginning of the bombast era to me with a ton of stuff going on. Im thinking along the lines of Do You Know Who I Am. Sparse arrangement, subtle vocal.
Not as well done perhaps, but all subtle vocals with sparse arrangements. I think some here overstate Elvis' vocal descent into bellowing. Danny Boy shows that with the right song, he remained capable of great subtlety.
Last edited by ICanHelp on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

r&b wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
no. I posted what songs I mean. There was nothing as sparse, plaintive and soulful (all 3 in combination) like In The Ghetto after 1969. And soulful is the key word here. Separate Ways and Danny Boy may be sparse but his voice is miles away from the soulfulness of 1969. Bringing It Back? Thats a Jarvis production mess!
You moved the goal posts by introducing a previously omitted element; i.e., soul. I agree Elvis never again sang with the soul he showed at American. His style thereafter became much more modern country, which this fan enjoyed but not as much as the soulful Elvis.

r&b

Post by r&b »

ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:
You moved the goal posts by introducing a previously omitted element; i.e., soul. I agree Elvis never again sang with the soul he showed at American. His style thereafter became much more modern country, which this fan enjoyed but not as much as the soulful Elvis.
Ah yes, but I did say emotion which i translated to mean soulfulness. I dug that ballad voice of Elvis in Memphis 69 much more than the ballad voice of the 70's. Even a song like I'll Be There had it to some extent. I just didnt hear that voice anymore in the 70's.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
Not as well done perhaps, but all subtle vocals with spares arrangements. I think some here overstate Elvis' vocal descent into bellowing. Danny Boy shows that with the right song, he remained capable of great subtlety.
I don't hear that in any of your examples.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
Not as well done perhaps, but all subtle vocals with spares arrangements. I think some here overstate Elvis' vocal descent into bellowing. Danny Boy shows that with the right song, he remained capable of great subtlety.
I don't hear than in any of your examples.
Really? The arrangement cannot get any more sparse than Danny Boy. Felton also held the bombast on Separate Ways. I find Elvis' singing on both ballades restrained and delicate.

Markus K.
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by Markus K. »

r&b wrote:Ah yes, but I did say emotion which i translated to mean soulfulness. I dug that ballad voice of Elvis in Memphis 69 much more than the ballad voice of the 70's. Even a song like I'll Be There had it to some extent. I just didnt hear that voice anymore in the 70's.
Just the other day I was listening to the June 1970 recording of "Funny how time slips away".
This pretty much features all of the qualties you mention above I'd say and pretty close to what we can cherish from the Memphis sessions the year before.
One of my personal favorites from that session for this very reason.

jeanno
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by jeanno »

R&b - Markus is right: FHTSA got the plaintive treatment, just like the first take of Bridge. Those are two exceptions, however. After "Elvis country", that way of singing got away.

Steve Morse
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Steve Morse »

Kylan wrote:Whether or not it is a valid article is not the more intriguing question. the question is, can anyone name an artist in the modern era besides Elvis that gets torn down and analyzed over in a negative fashion like Elvis does? I think its remarkable. anyone else come to mind? not trying to be funny, I'm serious.
Spot on.

Did you know that Elvis was the only pop star who ever took drugs ? - at least you would think so, the way it has been painted over the years.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

Wiebe wrote:Sorry, I accidentally hit the 'like' button there, I like your post, but no so much that I like it.
Just "unlike" it then.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

emjel wrote:He was spot on with this. As he mentioned, apart from a couple of things, everything started to decline again, from the actual songs, the travesty of issuing the album Burning Love and Hits From The Movies, right down to the awful sleeves that accompanied every album after Country.

I also agree with his thoughts on the TTWII album. I've always found it to be disjointed and they should have made it a double album - one for the studio stuff and one for a live show and then they should have delayed the Country album well into 1971.

By 1971, Elvis was starting to get into another rut and like the Hollywood Years that affected decent albums, this time, it was The Touring Years which would more or less do a similar thing, but not quite to the same extent.
All very true. Glad you enjoyed Alan's terrific blog on 1970. Check out the site, there are many more just as good.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

I don't need to read about what another human being thinks about something, I can make up my own mind. In this case, this so called "scholar", as John calls him, is wrong.
The last great year was 1972...1975 was ok...but not the last great.
1970 had the, perhaps, last best studio recordings, but that's it.

Not the last great hit, not the last great live show (Garden) and not the last great taped concert (EOT).

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Retrokid wrote:Any well written article on Elvis is always welcome. Still, even though Elvis surely begun his decline at end of 1970, it’s hard to accept the claim that this was his final year of solid accomplishments and significant success

In 1972 (ending in early 1973), Elvis went through a massiv string of successes such as EOT (Golden Globe), MSG (an unprecedented four consecutive sold out shows), a massiv hit song (Burning Love) and finally the Aloha concert that made him a legendary figure who even superseded superstardom.

I accept that people might have a different view on subjects like this, but in this case I think the author made a bold statement that isn't really supported by facts.
Alan Hanson does not make that claim. He bases his observation under this interpretation:

But the foundation of his career had always been his music, and the success or failure of his RCA recordings on Billboard’s pop charts in 1970 was the best indicator of whether or not his star would continue to shine brightly.

It is a very good measurement, and his conclusion is hard to disagree with when you accept the parameters.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Bilbo Baggins wrote:First of all, let me say that Alan's blogs are great reads. And so is this one. I agree that 1970 was, looking at the whole year, his last great one. Starting with his february Vegas season, then the june sessions in Nashville (maybe not all top notch material but vocally superb imo). Then came the august season and TTWII, where he showed his class as a mature and professional entertainer. As soon as september the first signs of decline are starting to show, I think. And yes...there were highlights and successes in the later years, but they were getting more and more rare as the years were passing. In his greatest years (1954 - 1962 and 1968 - 1970) greatness was the rule rather than the exception... in the years after 1970, I think the opposite was the case.

Let me be clear... I do appreciate and enjoy some of the mid-sixties output and seventies highlights as MSG, Aloha and some studio output, but still...
Your point is absolutely spot-on. Glad you enjoyed this topic, and already know about Alan's blog. It's always a worthwhile visit.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

His blog is really great. I enjoyed what he wrote in many topics. I liked very much how he describes Elvis's Hollywood career, the relation with Hal Wallis, the movie contracts from Love Me Tender to Change of Habit and I agree with him that Elvis, instead of being a regular soldier, should be in Special Services and sing for 2 years in the Army.

Bilbo Baggins
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Location: The Netherlands, aka Holland, wich means I’m Dutch :-)

Post by Bilbo Baggins »

Thanks Doc, and yes, indeed the blog is a worthwhile visit. For those of you that haven't visited Alan Hanson's blog yet, there are 329 entries so far. Most of them give well balanced and accurate information and opinions. The site is easy to navigate... and flipping the pages you will find more relevant information and stories than most of the books on the market. It should keep you busy for a day or two.

"People think you’re crazy if you talk about things they don’t understand.” ― Elvis Presley

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

jurasic1968 wrote:His blog is really great. I enjoyed what he wrote in many topics. I liked very much how he describes Elvis's Hollywood career, the relation with Hal Wallis, the movie contracts from Love Me Tender to Change of Habit and I agree with him that Elvis, instead of being a regular soldier, should be in Special Services and sing for 2 years in the Army.
I totally disagree.
It was a good move by Elvis and Parker to have him going thru the "normal" service instead of being a singer for 2 years. All creadability would have been lost.
It was a good move.

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I agree with the blogger that 1970 was Elvis last big year, in terms of voice & physical condition :smt007.

Scarre wrote:In this case, this so called "scholar", as John calls him, is wrong.
That "cualification" has been used too simply for years now..... :facep:. There are few true Elvis Scholars and among them they are: Ernst Jorgensen, Peter Guralnick, Keith Flyn & Kevan Budd! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

LSP-4445 wrote:Nice post Doc.
To me 1970 is not only the last great year but also my favorite year both studio and live.
Of all of the great ones, 1970 is tops?

Hmm, I'm not sure which would be mine ...

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Delboy
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by Delboy »

Very good article and completely on point. It was evident towards the end of the year that Presley management and RCA were losing their way and Elvis himself wasn't as engaged as he could have been. The disaster that was to follow the disjointed 'That's The Way It Is' album with 'Elvis Country a ridiculous 6 weeks later tells you all you need to know regarding managements capability to keep the ship sailing in the right direction.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Scarre wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:His blog is really great. I enjoyed what he wrote in many topics. I liked very much how he describes Elvis's Hollywood career, the relation with Hal Wallis, the movie contracts from Love Me Tender to Change of Habit and I agree with him that Elvis, instead of being a regular soldier, should be in Special Services and sing for 2 years in the Army.
I totally disagree.
It was a good move by Elvis and Parker to have him going thru the "normal" service instead of being a singer for 2 years. All creadability would have been lost.
It was a good move.
No, it was not. Elvis was so afraid he could lost completely his music career after the Army. This is a fact.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

jurasic1968 wrote:
Scarre wrote:
I totally disagree.
It was a good move.
No, it was not. Elvis was so afraid he could lost completely his music career after the Army. This is a fact.
But he didn't lose his career. Fact. Two monster hits awaited for him to record. "It's Now Or Never" and "Are You Lonesome Tonight". Good that he was scared. Made him work harder when he got back. Not to mention all the practice he did with Charlie Hodge. He came back a better singer in 1960. Fact as well.