Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

I ' ll be There

Post by Chucky99 »

Hello.guys
I was listening today to a wonderful Elvis song called
I ' ll be there, a Bobby Darin cover recorded in january of 1969 at American Studios in Memphis.
Now the questions:
1. Do you enjoy/ like / love the song?
2 Do you consider it better than the original( vocals and arrangement) ?
3 Why was it not included in the albums From Elvis in Memphis or Back in Memphis or From Vegas to Memphis? Was it considered too weak?

Many, many thanks.Chucky

Scarre
Registered for: 21 years

Re: I ' ll be There

Post by Scarre »

Chucky99 wrote:Hello.guys
I ' ll be there, a Bobby Darin cover recorded in january of 1969 at American Studios in Memphis.
Now the questions:
3 Why was it not included in the albums From Elvis in Memphis or Back in Memphis or From Vegas to Memphis? Was it considered too weak?

Many, many thanks.Chucky
Let's just say that everything recorded at the American wasn't gold...

Topic author
Chucky99

Post by Chucky99 »

Scarre wrote:
Now the questions:

Many, many thanks.Chucky
Let's just say that everything recorded at the American wasn't gold...
I really enjoy the song. Especially Elvis voice and the Short violin solo.It has something this song....

r&b

Post by r&b »

Both Darin and Gerry & The Pacemakers recorded better versions of this. Good song, but not one of the gems cut at American. Proof? It didnt make either Memphis album. It almost sounds like a work in progress or a hastily recorded track rather than a truly finished American cut with a well thought out arrangement. Fair, not great.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Yes, I agree.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

Don't hate it. An unremarkable track.

r&b

Post by r&b »

jurasic1968 wrote:Yes, I agree.
Im a huge Darin fan. To me he is the most versatile singer after Elvis. Sang all the genres, maybe even more since he also sang Sinatra style music. Still I think Gerry has the ultimate version of this song. Clicks on all levels. Was a major hit also

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I read on Wikipedia that the song was number one in Canada in Gerry's version. In the UK was 15, in US 14 and in Australia number 9.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

It's a good track, nothing spectacular, and I guess partially the reason why it made a 1970 Camden budget release, rather than the main 1969 RCA "Memphis" albums.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

CountCanada

Post by CountCanada »

Elvis recorded this song as a favor to his dad. Vernon liked the song alot.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I always had a soft spot for this song....I think its underrated.

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

JimmyCool
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Mood:

Post by JimmyCool »

Not a favorite of mine, sounds unfinished to me.
I never thought I would say this, but I even prefer the 1980 arrangement, as released on "Too Much Monkey Business".

Note: This post is intended solely for FECC forum readers. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this post is strictly prohibited.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

It might be a Darin song, but I'll take Elvis's version of it any day. There were a number of occasions where Bobby wrote a song and recorded it, but it was someone else who really saw the potential. Not For Me comes to mind - written and recorded by Bobby, but that performance was completely usurped by Sammy Davis Jr's. As for I'll Be There, it is Elvis's simple arrangement and free-flowing vocal that wins the day. Darin's version in comparison is heavy-handed and laboured. The strings and choir hardly help matters, but Bobby had written for himself a rather angular melody that he simply can't get his chops around (at least in the studio version) in the way that Elvis does so effortlessly. It may not be one of those "wow" moments from the 1969 sessions, but that certainly doesn't mean it is a lesser performance. Going from the evidence we have from the live performance, I'm pretty certain a studio performance of You're the Reason I'm Living by Elvis would have beaten Bobby's too. Again, Bobby chose a heavy arrangement with that awful choir behind him (which was present in far too many of the Capitol sides), which weighed the song down and made it sound heavy and laboured.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

I think Gerry's version is the best.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Chucky99 wrote:I was listening today to a wonderful Elvis song called
Now the questions:

Many, many thanks.Chucky
1. Not really but it's not a bad song.
2. No.
3. Elvis recorded more material than RCA could release on two separate albums so ulitmately some songs were leftovers.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

jurasic1968 wrote:I read on Wikipedia that the song was number one in Canada in Gerry's version. In the UK was 15, in US 14 and in Australia number 9.
That's why I think Elvis knew the song from them and not from Bobby Darin. They had a hit with it and it received a lot of airplay while Bobby Darin's version didn't. Most people that know the song seem to know it from them.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I listened to Gerrys version and I think he inspired Elvis...I think Elvis version is the best of all...this voice is just fantastic..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

brian wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:I read on Wikipedia that the song was number one in Canada in Gerry's version. In the UK was 15, in US 14 and in Australia number 9.
That's why I think Elvis knew the song from them and not from Bobby Darin. They had a hit with it and it received a lot of airplay while Bobby Darin's version didn't. Most people that know the song seem to know it from them.
There is little doubt that Elvis knew the song through Bobby and NOT Gerry and the Pacemakers:

When I'll Be There was requested by an audience member in a 1975 concert, he sings a line of it and then goes into You're the Reason I'm Living. This shows quite clearly that he linked the song with Bobby Darin and not Gerry and the Pacemakers.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
brian wrote:
There is little doubt that Elvis knew the song through Bobby and NOT Gerry and the Pacemakers:

When I'll Be There was requested by an audience member in a 1975 concert, he sings a line of it and then goes into You're the Reason I'm Living. This shows quite clearly that he linked the song with Bobby Darin and not Gerry and the Pacemakers.
Absolutely...March 22, 1975 MS..

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Now the questions:

Many, many thanks.Chucky
It's a nice cover, but succeeds primarily because of the super production of Chips Moman, and the spirited singing and playing of all involved. There's a pretty clear reason it was passed over when choosing tracks for the first Memphis album, the second Memphis album, and eight and a half single sides: it wasn't good enough when compared to the other recordings available.

Bobby Darin's 1960 single B-side is excellent, but in every respect of its time. Elvis follows Bobby's lead vocals in his 1969 recording, but the release that probably inspired him during those Memphis sessions was the 1965 hit by Gerry & the Pacemakers.

Gerry & the Pacemakers "I'll Be There" (Laurie 3279, November 21, 1964)
Billboard "Hot 100" #14, January 30, 1965, Cash Box "Top 100" #19, January 16, 1965

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

I like it and If I'm A Fool both. They are untouched by overdubs because Moman didn't care to put any time or trouble into these recordings. I really like Bobby Darin, but oddly enough I do not have any of his albums. I intend to though. Gerry And The Pacemaker's version has no feeling. It is typical British pop of the time.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

skatterbrane wrote:I like it and If I'm A Fool both. They are untouched by overdubs because Moman didn't care to put any time or trouble into these recordings. I really like Bobby Darin, but oddly enough I do not have any of his albums. I intend to though. Gerry And The Pacemaker's version has no feeling. It is typical British pop of the time.
When "I'll Be There" and "If I'm A Fool" appeared on a 1970 budget LP, they had overdubs galore: strings, horns and backing vocals.

So your claim that "Moman didn't care" is completely incorrect.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

skatterbrane wrote:I like it and If I'm A Fool both.
Absolutely...both are great songs ..!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

skatterbrane wrote:I like it and If I'm A Fool both. They are untouched by overdubs because Moman didn't care to put any time or trouble into these recordings. I really like Bobby Darin, but oddly enough I do not have any of his albums. I intend to though. Gerry And The Pacemaker's version has no feeling. It is typical British pop of the time.
Moman had little to do with overdubs.. save a few singles.

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

Gerry & The Pacemakers' version is beautiful - very sentimental.

I particularly enjoy the verse starting, "I'll miss you, and in my dreams I'll kiss you", which unfortunately Elvis omitted (though it probably didn't suit his treatment of the song). The strings emphasise the sad beauty of this version, which I didn't hear until long after I first heard the Elvis recording in 1970.

Elvis took a different approach, less maudlin, but he was on top form nevertheless. But if I had to choose only one of the two to take to a desert island, then it would be G&P.

I don't really know the BD version - will have to seek it out.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"