Cover photo Aloha album from San Antonio 1972

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

elvis-fan
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Cover photo Aloha album from San Antonio 1972

Post by elvis-fan »

I always wondered about both the MSG and AFH covers... I mean how difficult is it to produce a photo from the show for the album cover??? And what was Parker's bloody fascination with the Jacksonville show...

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvis-fan wrote:I always wondered about both the MSG and AFH covers... I mean how difficult is it to produce a photo from the show for the album cover??? And what was Parker's bloody fascination with the Jacksonville show...
Using actually photos would have taken time, money and thoughtfulness. Ed Bonja took the shots used, Parker didn't have to spend anything to use them.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

elvis-fan wrote:I always wondered about both the MSG and AFH covers... I mean how difficult is it to produce a photo from the show for the album cover??? And what was Parker's bloody fascination with the Jacksonville show...
The MSG cover is really good!

Regarding Aloha, Ed Bonja shot many great Nov '72 shots, including Hawaii.
And they came up with this, ouch..

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by emjel »

Robert wrote:
The MSG cover is really good!.
The front is - the back is rubbish. Compare it to the Jap version. For the historic event it was, it should have been so much more.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Using actually photos would have taken time, money and thoughtfulness. Ed Bonja took the shots used, Parker didn't have to spend anything to use them.
Amen. Both covers in the post to which you responded were poor. The later was one of the least flattering photos of Elvis ever. A trim in shape Elvis looked like a human pork chop with a contorted face. Pile em high and deep and the boy will take care of the rest.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 1 month

Post by rickeap »

The Aloha photo is simply a poor choice.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Robert wrote:
The MSG cover is really good!
No question Robert... the Jacksonville photo on MSG is a great shot! I love it. But my point is why not have a photo from the show? If they were able to put out an album in about two weeks from the time it was recorded (or whatever the timing was) I'm sure they could have got ol' Ed to take a few shots in NY... I mean, did Elvis look any better post 1970 than when he performed at MSG? Wasted opportunity...

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Great shot MSG. Really great.

Jim Dandy
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by Jim Dandy »

The Japanese got half of their gatefold release correct:Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm the man downstairs with the long bushy hair!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Jim Dandy wrote:The Japanese got half of their gatefold release correct:Image
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a much better back cover than the U.S. release...was that released in Japan in '72 Jim? (I've never seen that cover except on the Japanese CD release)

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 6 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

That Japanese cover is amazing! How is it they got it right and IMHO, RCA got is all wrong here in the USA?

rlj

Rob
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Rob »

There was never a live album released in Elvis' lifetime that featured an actual photo from the show on the cover. The closest it ever came to happening was the "On Stage" album in 1970.

The first ever official live album with an actual photo from the show didn't happen until this little beauty was released.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Sorry for going off topic but does anyone know why the Lion belt is upside down in this photo? Is this photo from the June 11th performance?

Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

elvis-fan wrote:Sorry for going off topic but does anyone know why the Lion belt is upside down in this photo? Is this photo from the June 11th performance?
Belt was renoved and put back on upside down. June 11 is correct.
goodbye.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by Robert »

rlj4ep wrote:That Japanese cover is amazing! How is it they got it right and IMHO, RCA got is all wrong here in the USA?

rlj
It's great but it's the back cover and it was released a long time after the original '72 release.

emjel

Post by emjel »

Robert wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:That Japanese cover is amazing! How is it they got it right and IMHO, RCA got is all wrong here in the USA?

rlj
It's great but it's the back cover and it was released a long time after the original '72 release.
I didn't think it was that long after. I know the original was basic, but I thought there was also a deluxe version too a few months later. I used to have two versions and I was sure I got my first one at the end of that year and then I got a quad version in 74 although that had a different shot on back. Virtually everything the Japs did was out of this world. Their "Date With Elvis" was superb.

~

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote:Virtually everything the Japs did was out of this world. Their "Date With Elvis" was superb.
1963 Release (RA-5182 - Japan)

1970 Release (SHP-6097 - Japan)

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

emjel

Post by emjel »

jetblack wrote:
emjel wrote:Virtually everything the Japs did was out of this world. Their "Date With Elvis" was superb.
1963 Release (RA-5182 - Japan)

1970 Release (SHP-6097 - Japan)

Andy
Yep they're the ones although I think the 1970 re-issue was the better one. I bought it in that year for the sum of £5. Do you have both?

~

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

emjel wrote: Yep they're the ones although I think the 1970 re-issue was the better one. I bought it in that year for the sum of £5. Do you have both?
They are stunning covers. My brother has the 1970 issue also. It cost him a lot more than £5.00. :)

Andy

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

When you have seen the back cover image of the Christmas LOC-1035 for such a long time, it is hard to see as a front cover no matter how nice it is, to me.

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Juan Luis wrote:When you have seen the back cover image of the Christmas LOC-1035 for such a long time, it is hard to see as a front cover no matter how nice it is, to me.
I can understand that Juan.

When I saw this beauty at the WH Smith store in Newcastle in 1985 I didn't know if it was the front or back. I even thought for a moment it was a bootleg LP. :)

Reconsider Baby Vinyl (1985)

Andy

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Robert wrote:

rlj
Thanks for that clarification Robert. I thought it was a back cover, but didn't want to assume..... still a great look

rlj

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

rlj4ep wrote:Like many of you I remember when the MSG and Aloha albums were released. I was so disappointed when I learned that neither album cover pic was from the original show. And the record sleeve that Robert reminds us of which is posted above is just embarrassing. It is obvious that Elvis' portrait is simply pasted between the women!
An event like Aloha (and to some extent MSG) deserved much better from RCA and Tom Parker. And just my opinion, I don't think the cover pic of Aloha is even flattering. Elvis delivered on both the MSG and Aloha albums, it is unfortunate that Parker and RCA didn't deliver on their end.

rlj
To be fair, with the MSG cover. There is no way an actual photo of the event could be used (at the time) and be able to release the album within 10 days of the concerts in New York. The artwork had to be ready (color separation etc.) and approved before the shows. One can tell the back cover was added after the shows cause no one could guess the set-list. And even then, the back cover credits and song list was pasted on (cheaper paper) to the already manufactured album cover.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 9 months

Post by George Smith »

Juan Luis wrote:To be fair, with the MSG cover. There is no way an actual photo of the event could be used (at the time) and be able to release the album within 10 days of the concerts in New York. The artwork had to be ready (color separation etc.) and approved before the shows. One can tell the back cover was added after the shows cause no one could guess the set-list. And even then, the back cover credits and song list was pasted on (cheaper paper) to the already manufactured album cover.
Correct answer, Juan -- hence the black-only print used on the reverse.

It's almost the same story with the Aloha project. For speed reasons, the gatefold cover was printed in advance, then a black-only set list was printed and inserted into the sleeve. When Parker was (ahem) designing the sleeve, the photograph used on the front was relatively current, especially when you bear in mind the original plan was to broadcast in in November 1972.

This is also the reason Elvis Presley (1956) was printed using black and two spot colours -- RCA wanted the product in the shops almost overnight.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/