Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:I'm not sure why certain people are moaning about there being no unreleased material to go with this release, and that FTD is not just a deluxe reissue label, and that some people are just paying for the sleeves. There is precious little unreleased material on the 1957 Christmas album release or on the 1956 Elvis album release either. There was also nothing new on the Hits of the 70s release, or indeed the This is Elvis release - both of which were botched anyway due to the wrong versions of songs being used.

What would make an interesting release with Welcome to My World would be the inclusion of other songs considered for the album - presumably that kind of information would be lurking somewhere, just as it was for Elvis for Everyone. That, in turn, would then give a wider scope for unreleased takes or live versions of those songs to be used as a way of making up a second CD.

As for the LP itself, I've never been quite sure why RCA, short of a release, chose to put out this collection instead of a Gold Records 5, which surely must have also been a possibility at the time given the success of the previous entries in the series and the amount of gold records that had been accumulated since 1968 when the 4th in the series appeared.
"moaning" ... another favorite gerund of yours.

Straw man cometh.
Do you have anything of substance to add, or just a dig?
Advocating censorship, book burning and elitism is what you offer. Perhaps you should spend your time reviewing Doc's historical record rather than starting a bonfires.
I can clearly remember you advocating censorship when it comes to EIC. The word hypocrisy comes to mind...
To review Johns "historical record" is not that easy. Alot of threads where he has been proven wrong has been deleted or corrected later on...proof exist. That being said, not denying he has a certain degree of knowledge when in comes to music.

Regarding a WTMW release...I would probably not buy it, but I don´t mind if they choose to release it. It´s only music...no big deal.
Then you ought to actually read my posts on the matter which you didnt. I am personally indifferent to whether it is released or not. But Lisa Marie as the rightsholder of the intellectual property has the sole power to decide whether to release it. Anyone who wants to see it has and she has not tried to have it removed from video sites. I have a first gen beta copy recorded the night broadcast. High quality doesnt improve the experience. If i never saw it again i wouldnt lose sleep for missing seeing his bloated head painted orange, belly bursting from his suit, in free floating drug induced haze 'singing' with a wrecked voice. But if you do, knock yourself out. Lets just not pretend it is anything other than watching Elvis being stalked on stage by the reaper-because you can see and hear the death rattle.
I did read it.

Lisa Marie owned 100% of EPE uptil 2005. After that, and still does, 15%. EPE owns EIC. It´s a business. Just as FTD/Sony.
Point being, if you think it´s not ok to "advocate censorship" when it comes to FTD/Sony, same rules for EPE. You can´t pick and choose. Anything else is hypocrisy.
As I have said earlier, I don´t care if they release it or not...
Then perhaps you need a brush up course in comprehension. I have NO objection if EIC is released. I also dont care whether it is. It is unwatchable except as a voyeur. It is widely available to anyone who wants to punish their eyes and ears. That's hardly a call for censorship except in the bizarro land we live in in FECC. But feel free to make it up as you go along.

As to ownership, i dont know who owns it but if its release was not legally restricted, i cant imagine EPE wouldnt grab for the money. You dont sell rubber ducks if you are interested in legacy.
So, in one post you say Lisa Marie owns it. And in the next you say you don't know who owns it.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Re: Welcome To My World lp on FTD?.

Post by fn2drive »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:I'm not sure why certain people are moaning about there being no unreleased material to go with this release, and that FTD is not just a deluxe reissue label, and that some people are just paying for the sleeves. There is precious little unreleased material on the 1957 Christmas album release or on the 1956 Elvis album release either. There was also nothing new on the Hits of the 70s release, or indeed the This is Elvis release - both of which were botched anyway due to the wrong versions of songs being used.

What would make an interesting release with Welcome to My World would be the inclusion of other songs considered for the album - presumably that kind of information would be lurking somewhere, just as it was for Elvis for Everyone. That, in turn, would then give a wider scope for unreleased takes or live versions of those songs to be used as a way of making up a second CD.

As for the LP itself, I've never been quite sure why RCA, short of a release, chose to put out this collection instead of a Gold Records 5, which surely must have also been a possibility at the time given the success of the previous entries in the series and the amount of gold records that had been accumulated since 1968 when the 4th in the series appeared.

Straw man cometh.
Advocating censorship, book burning and elitism is what you offer. Perhaps you should spend your time reviewing Doc's historical record rather than starting a bonfires.
I can clearly remember you advocating censorship when it comes to EIC. The word hypocrisy comes to mind...
To review Johns "historical record" is not that easy. Alot of threads where he has been proven wrong has been deleted or corrected later on...proof exist. That being said, not denying he has a certain degree of knowledge when in comes to music.

Regarding a WTMW release...I would probably not buy it, but I don´t mind if they choose to release it. It´s only music...no big deal.
Then you ought to actually read my posts on the matter which you didnt. I am personally indifferent to whether it is released or not. But Lisa Marie as the rightsholder of the intellectual property has the sole power to decide whether to release it. Anyone who wants to see it has and she has not tried to have it removed from video sites. I have a first gen beta copy recorded the night broadcast. High quality doesnt improve the experience. If i never saw it again i wouldnt lose sleep for missing seeing his bloated head painted orange, belly bursting from his suit, in free floating drug induced haze 'singing' with a wrecked voice. But if you do, knock yourself out. Lets just not pretend it is anything other than watching Elvis being stalked on stage by the reaper-because you can see and hear the death rattle.
I did read it.

Lisa Marie owned 100% of EPE uptil 2005. After that, and still does, 15%. EPE owns EIC. It´s a business. Just as FTD/Sony.
Point being, if you think it´s not ok to "advocate censorship" when it comes to FTD/Sony, same rules for EPE. You can´t pick and choose. Anything else is hypocrisy.
Then perhaps you need a brush up course in comprehension. I have NO objection if EIC is released. I also dont care whether it is. It is unwatchable except as a voyeur. It is widely available to anyone who wants to punish their eyes and ears. That's hardly a call for censorship except in the bizarro land we live in in FECC. But feel free to make it up as you go along.

As to ownership, i dont know who owns it but if its release was not legally restricted, i cant imagine EPE wouldnt grab for the money. You dont sell rubber ducks if you are interested in legacy.
So, in one post you say Lisa Marie owns it. And in the next you say you don't know who owns it.
We had the Return of the Rocker. Now we have the Return of the Pedantic. As you well know the point is the rightsholder be that Lisa or EPE can do as they pls with the Intellectual Property they own. My understanding is that it has not been released because of Lisa's desires. As i have not asked her i cannot confirm this as fact. Now back to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party in 3-2-1.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Scarre
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Scarre »

fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.

I did read it.

No I don´t.
Calm down.
It was you that, in another thread, said it was not censorship not to release EIC, but for Sony not to release a certain outtake is. It has nothing to do with your opinion to release it or not.

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

About a year ago on eBay, what looks like an original rare acetate of Welcome To My World lp was sold, enjoy! ::rocks. Bye for now :smt006.

ULTRA-RARE ORIGINAL RCA ACETATE . THICK, HEAVY, ALLUMINUM CORE ACETATE PRESSING.
Source: http://www.popsike.com/ELVIS-PRESLEY-WELCOME-TO-MY-WORLDNEXTTOLAST-LP-INSANELY-RARE-ORIG-77-ACETATE/141964315909.html

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Post by emjel »

There is some pretty awful echo applied to Release Me. Sounds like he is in some kind of aircraft hangar and Your Cheatin' Heart sounds so out of place against the multi track stuff from the 70s.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.

I did read it.

We had the Return of the Rocker. Now we have the Return of the Pedantic. As you well know the point is the rightsholder be that Lisa or EPE can do as they pls with the Intellectual Property they own. My understanding is that it has not been released because of Lisa's desires. As i have not asked her i cannot confirm this as fact. Now back to the Mad Hatter's Tea Party in 3-2-1.
No, the point is that you make out you know everything, but don't know your ar*e from your elbow, as my mother would say.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.

I did read it.

No, the point is that you make out you know everything, but don't know your ar*e from your elbow, as my mother would say.

Time for your daily dose of Padre. It will center to you. Promise.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

JeroenNL
Registered for: 19 years 3 months

Post by JeroenNL »

How about FTD make it a Classic Album release of 2 albums on one release? 'Welcome To My World' on disc 1 coupled with the unreleased June 1977 album 'Greatest Hits Vol.1' on disc 2? That would give Ernst the chance to add some nice bonustracks on both discs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

JeroenNL wrote:How about FTD make it a Classic Album release of 2 albums on one release? 'Welcome To My World' on disc 1 coupled with the unreleased June 1977 album 'Greatest Hits Vol.1' on disc 2? That would give Ernst the chance to add some nice bonustracks on both discs.
Good idea!

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Hopefully "Pure Gold" gets the FTD treatment as well.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Well, considering that For LP Fans Only is getting a classic album treatment with the unreleased material being around ten minutes of what are likely to be deafeningly distorted home recordings, it kind of puts a Welcome to my World FTD in perspective.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

"PURE GOLD" Too!

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

poormadpeter2 wrote:Well, considering that For LP Fans Only is getting a classic album treatment with the unreleased material being around ten minutes of what are likely to be deafeningly distorted home recordings, it kind of puts a Welcome to my World FTD in perspective.
It's 'A Date With Elvis' that is being given the Classic Album Treatment (we could abbreviate that to CAT? Perhaps not.) but you knew that really; ;) any road, what better place would the "Is It So Strange' session be placed if not on 'Date'?

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

colonel snow
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by colonel snow »

Before there was an auto-cue.

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 2 months

Post by When In Rome »

colonel snow wrote:Before there was an auto-cue.

colonel snow
Karaoke has come a l-o-n-g way...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

When In Rome wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Well, considering that For LP Fans Only is getting a classic album treatment with the unreleased material being around ten minutes of what are likely to be deafeningly distorted home recordings, it kind of puts a Welcome to my World FTD in perspective.
It's 'A Date With Elvis' that is being given the Classic Album Treatment (we could abbreviate that to CAT? Perhaps not.) but you knew that really; ;) any road, what better place would the "Is It So Strange' session be placed if not on 'Date'?
I always get those two albums mixed up! I'm not arguing about the Is It So Strange session being on it - although, to my knowledge, it's all been released before. But people are arguing that Welcome to My World would simply result in people buying the FTD of it just for the sleeve - and my point is that they're not doing much different with the Date with Elvis material. There;s very little new on there for your £20+.

LesterB
Registered for: 17 years 11 months

Post by LesterB »

Jarle Jensen wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: At any rate, Welcome To My World cannot be considered worthy of "classic album" status in the FTD catalog.
You're probably right, but there's allready many other Elvis albums out there as "classic albums" that doesn't deserve the "classic album" stamp. So "Welcome To My World" should be more than OK to add to this series. The same goes for the "A Legendary Performer" series.
.. and Hits of the 70s ... and This Is Elvis.

JUST FOR TODAY

Tony C
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
When In Rome wrote:
I always get those two albums mixed up! I'm not arguing about the Is It So Strange session being on it - although, to my knowledge, it's all been released before. But people are arguing that Welcome to My World would simply result in people buying the FTD of it just for the sleeve - and my point is that they're not doing much different with the Date with Elvis material. There;s very little new on there for your £20+.
With regard to the Is It So Strange session, a considerable amount of it is unreleased.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Tony C wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:I always get those two albums mixed up! I'm not arguing about the Is It So Strange session being on it - although, to my knowledge, it's all been released before. But people are arguing that Welcome to My World would simply result in people buying the FTD of it just for the sleeve - and my point is that they're not doing much different with the Date with Elvis material. There;s very little new on there for your £20+.
With regard to the Is It So Strange session, a considerable amount of it is unreleased.
Correct. It's all pretty much out there, but not officially. Unfortunately, what is yet to be heard on RCA or FTD are a series of false starts. Maybe we'll get the complete undubbed master, too. In any case, to have the entire thing in one place, in superb audio from the FTD team, cannot be discounted in any way. It's one of Presley's finest ballads.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Tony C wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
When In Rome wrote:
Not according to Keith's website.

http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/570119.html#04

The take 2-6 false starts aren't listed on my Stereo 57, but I haven't played it for a while. Either way, all full takes are released on there, Flashback, TT&F & Close Up. So, if takes 2-6 haven't been released before, that amounts to the grand total of around 90 seconds of unreleased material.

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Tony C wrote:With regard to the Is It So Strange session, a considerable amount of it is unreleased.

The take 2-6 false starts aren't listed on my Stereo 57, but I haven't played it for a while. Either way, all full takes are released on there, Flashback, TT&F & Close Up. So, if takes 2-6 haven't been released before, that amounts to the grand total of around 90 seconds of unreleased material.
The devil is in the details. The early takes are not listed on your RCA disc because they aren't there. They appear on an import CD, issued in 1995, reissued in 1998. Unofficial release, exactly as I note above. Also all false starts, as I wrote.

http://www.elvisinnorway.no/stereo57a.html

http://www.elvisinnorway.no/stereo57a2.html
https://www.elvis-collectors.com/stereo57_reissue.html

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Tony C
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Tony C wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
When In Rome wrote:

I got the info from Keith's website, you obviously read things differently to me. I'm sorry Elvis never completed those five unreleased (Stereo '57 was a bootleg) takes but that is beyond our control. Perhaps you do not think that the release of around ninety seconds of material from a fifties session is important, but I do.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Tony C wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Tony C wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
When In Rome wrote:

I got the info from Keith's website, you obviously read things differently to me. I'm sorry Elvis never completed those five unreleased (Stereo '57 was a bootleg) takes but that is beyond our control. Perhaps you do not think that the release of around ninety seconds of material from a fifties session is important, but I do.
Yes, i did misread it. I just assumed he was referring to Essential Elvis 2. Considering most of those takes only last 10-20 seconds, you're not going to hear much of Elvis on them I doubt. The problem here is that the material is being spread so thinly. Was it necessary to create a £20 product in order to release 90 seconds of material from a fifties session? I would suggest not. However, considering many here have been asking for the audio from the Boy from Tupelo book to be reissued, it seems odd than a Classic Album release of an LP containing five Sun tracks features no alternate/live versions from any of them.

drjohncarpenter

Tony C wrote:I got the info from Keith's website, you obviously read things differently to me. I'm sorry Elvis never completed those five unreleased (Stereo '57 was a bootleg) takes but that is beyond our control. Perhaps you do not think that the release of around ninety seconds of material from a fifties session is important, but I do.
It probably helps knowing official and unofficial releases of 1957 material, and paying closer attention to reference websites.

You can see on the session page for "Is It So Strange" a listing called Essential Elvis Volume 2. The full title is Stereo '57: Essential Elvis Volume 2. Keith avoided confusion with the import by listing the RCA release that way.

I agree that anything fresh from the 1950s sessions is important. Such recordings are now like finding hen's teeth, and to dismiss them in any fashion does not sound like the thought process of a deep fan. Comments or bits of singing on the false starts may contain insight into Presley's creative process, and for the serious collector that prospect is exciting. He was 22, he was on top of the world.

In addition, we will hear "Is Is So Strange" from the binaural stereo safety master reel. That should be a real treat on headphones.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony C wrote:I got the info from Keith's website, you obviously read things differently to me. I'm sorry Elvis never completed those five unreleased (Stereo '57 was a bootleg) takes but that is beyond our control. Perhaps you do not think that the release of around ninety seconds of material from a fifties session is important, but I do.
It probably helps knowing official and unofficial releases of 1957 material, and paying closer attention to reference websites.

You can see on the session page for "Is It So Strange" a listing called Essential Elvis Volume 2. The full title is Stereo '57: Essential Elvis Volume 2. Keith avoided confusion with the import by listing the RCA release that way.

I agree that anything fresh from the 1950s sessions is important. Such recordings are now like finding hen's teeth, and to dismiss them in any fashion does not sound like the thought process of a deep fan. Comments or bits of singing on the false starts may contain insight into Presley's creative process, and for the serious collector that prospect is exciting. He was 22, he was on top of the world.

In addition, we will hear "Is Is So Strange" from the binaural stereo safety master reel. That should be a real treat on headphones.
Here we go with the deep fans again!