Welcome To My World lp on FTD?.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Welcome To My World lp on FTD?.

Post by drjohncarpenter »

poormadpeter2 wrote:I'm not sure why certain people are moaning about there being no unreleased material to go with this release, and that FTD is not just a deluxe reissue label, and that some people are just paying for the sleeves. There is precious little unreleased material on the 1957 Christmas album release or on the 1956 Elvis album release either. There was also nothing new on the Hits of the 70s release, or indeed the This is Elvis release - both of which were botched anyway due to the wrong versions of songs being used.

What would make an interesting release with Welcome to My World would be the inclusion of other songs considered for the album - presumably that kind of information would be lurking somewhere, just as it was for Elvis for Everyone. That, in turn, would then give a wider scope for unreleased takes or live versions of those songs to be used as a way of making up a second CD.

As for the LP itself, I've never been quite sure why RCA, short of a release, chose to put out this collection instead of a Gold Records 5, which surely must have also been a possibility at the time given the success of the previous entries in the series and the amount of gold records that had been accumulated since 1968 when the 4th in the series appeared.
"moaning" ... another favorite gerund of yours.

Straw man cometh.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:I'm not sure why certain people are moaning about there being no unreleased material to go with this release, and that FTD is not just a deluxe reissue label, and that some people are just paying for the sleeves. There is precious little unreleased material on the 1957 Christmas album release or on the 1956 Elvis album release either. There was also nothing new on the Hits of the 70s release, or indeed the This is Elvis release - both of which were botched anyway due to the wrong versions of songs being used.

What would make an interesting release with Welcome to My World would be the inclusion of other songs considered for the album - presumably that kind of information would be lurking somewhere, just as it was for Elvis for Everyone. That, in turn, would then give a wider scope for unreleased takes or live versions of those songs to be used as a way of making up a second CD.

As for the LP itself, I've never been quite sure why RCA, short of a release, chose to put out this collection instead of a Gold Records 5, which surely must have also been a possibility at the time given the success of the previous entries in the series and the amount of gold records that had been accumulated since 1968 when the 4th in the series appeared.

Straw man cometh.
Do you have anything of substance to add, or just a dig?

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter2 wrote:Do you have anything of substance to add, or just a dig?
This is our thought when we see you posting a comment.

Here's 1000+ examples of substance:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=drjohncarpenter

Enjoy.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Tony C
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

emjel wrote:
Tony C wrote:
jerrynodak wrote:I like the Welcome To My World sleeve very much. One of my faves. If FTD releases their version I'll buy it. I don't make my own comps. I'm busy with my life. That's why i pay SONY.
It's the same reason I saved and saved to buy LPs forty years ago rather than get a friend to record their own one onto a blank cassette. I want official product. As for this album, it wouldn't bother me either way if there were an FTD version. I could live without it, but if it were out there, I might buy it.
I think that's a feeling shared by many, yet if it comes out, you almost feel obliged to get it just for the complete 7" collection. And then you get it, play it once and then question why you just chucked $35 at it, and stick it on the shelf. Being selective is not always easy for some.
Personally, I don't feel obliged at all. I collect the releases during Elvis' lifetime, regardless of duplication of songs. With CDs, I buy them for the music on them and am very selective. I'm like that with other artists, not just Elvis. Different pressings of CDs hold no appeal to me. Maybe it's an age thing, people that were not buying in 1977 probably don't differentiate between the 1954-1977 and Post-1977 eras.

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thank you folks, this topic has reached over 2000 plus views in less than a week ::rocks. There must be some interest on a possible future FTD release! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: As a gift for the "Welcome To My World" lp supporters, a little surprise here below.... :wink:.

Original 1977 RCA poster for Welcome To My World lp.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY-1977-WELCOME-TO-MY-WORLD-RCA-PROMO-LP-in-store-POSTER-DISPLAY-/381936492376?hash=item58ed305f58:g:86QAAOSwt5hYh7jN

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

drjohncarpenter

Mike Windgren wrote:Thank you folks, this topic has reached over 2000 plus views in less than a week ::rocks. There must be some interest on a possible future FTD release!
The discussion has mostly been about how the release would be very inappropriate for the FTD label.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Do you have anything of substance to add, or just a dig?
This is our thought when we see you posting a comment.

Here's 1000+ examples of substance:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=drjohncarpenter

Enjoy.
"our thought?"

Have you done a survey? Where's your evidence?

Meanwhile, I have to say that the posts you link to are some of the best you have yet made on this forum. Perhaps you should make more of a similar fashion. Or, maybe, as there is a thousand of them, think before you post so you don't have to go around deleting what you write?

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by Rob »

Personally, I can think of a lot of releases I'd much rather have that a "Welcome To My World" FTD.

When and if this is ever released, they should also release a CD full of barrel scraping sounds to go with it.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

Post by fn2drive »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.
Advocating censorship, book burning and elitism is what you offer. Perhaps you should spend your time reviewing Doc's historical record rather than starting a bonfires.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:Personally, I can think of a lot of releases I'd much rather have that a "Welcome To My World" FTD.

When and if this is ever released, they should also release a CD full of barrel scraping sounds to go with it.

Bingo.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.
Advocating censorship, book burning and elitism is what you offer. Perhaps you should spend your time reviewing Doc's historical record rather than starting a bonfires.
I can clearly remember you advocating censorship when it comes to EIC. The word hypocrisy comes to mind...
To review Johns "historical record" is not that easy. Alot of threads where he has been proven wrong has been deleted or corrected later on...proof exist. That being said, not denying he has a certain degree of knowledge when in comes to music.

Regarding a WTMW release...I would probably not buy it, but I don´t mind if they choose to release it. It´s only music...no big deal.
Last edited by Scarre on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emjel
Registered for: 16 years 8 months

Post by emjel »

r&b wrote:
emjel wrote:
Tony C wrote:
jerrynodak wrote:I like the Welcome To My World sleeve very much. One of my faves. If FTD releases their version I'll buy it. I don't make my own comps. I'm busy with my life. That's why i pay SONY.
It's the same reason I saved and saved to buy LPs forty years ago rather than get a friend to record their own one onto a blank cassette. I want official product. As for this album, it wouldn't bother me either way if there were an FTD version. I could live without it, but if it were out there, I might buy it.
I think that's a feeling shared by many, yet if it comes out, you almost feel obliged to get it just for the complete 7" collection. And then you get it, play it once and then question why you just chucked $35 at it, and stick it on the shelf. Being selective is not always easy for some.
Exactly why I gave up being a completist years ago. I dont feel obligated to buy anything anymore, and certainly there is not much essential for a guy who last recorded in 1976. You are just buying recycled product 90% of the time. Money saved was better spent on music left for me to discover . I broadened my horizons quite a bit in the last 20 yrs and for that I dont miss being a completist one iota.
Having just played the release, I can remember why it never did a lot for me back in '77 - I simply do not like compilation albums that go from "live" recordings to "studio" recordings and back - applause being faded in and out. A shame that all the tracks chosen were not studio recordings and that I'm So Lonesome was never recorded in a studio. Not sure whether I would want a studio version of Release Me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

charroman
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by charroman »

I would only be interested in an FTD release if it had a whole raft of unreleased alternative versions / live takes and any other potentials considered at the time and a similar concept to "For Everyone" . I suspect the vaults contain multiple live versions of many of the tracks on soundboard and multi track plus rehearsal and home recorded tapes and it might be interesting to see what other tracks were considered at the time or what could have been used. Not an essential one for me though and I drew the line at previous FTD's like "Hits of 70's" and "This is Elvis" .

Duke90

Post by Duke90 »

I would really love to see what they got planned for the near end. Some classic albums have no bonus material so do they need to be released for completest sake? I could see some loose ends being tied up with compilation outtakes and concert cds like in the beginning of the label. Those are still very enjoyable CD's and I would rather have compilations of unreleased stuff rather than something like this with half a disc being used up by master takes that we have a thousand times over.

For what it's worth, I think it's a fine album to listen to every now and then. Not a classic album though.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

midnightx wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:
emjel wrote:...meaning that you would pay out $35 just for a sleeve. Just more and more duplication, uneccessary expense and I do not think FTD will think that is a viable route to go.
You realize there are a number of fans who are more than happy to throw money at "sleeves." As stated, there are a number of titles that cannot conceivably be produced as bona fide, viable FTD editions, but for the sake of "completeness," a faction of fans will continue to campaign for the release of such titles. Very odd indeed.
How is it odd when this is a CD collectors forum?

There's not much left in terms of studio out takes now, and it's clear from the comments on this board that the later soundboards don't appeal to everyone.

Of course nobody has to buy everything, but if there is enough interest to warrant an expanded edition of "Welcome To My World" or additional titles from the late '70's / early '80's, on a label that exists solely for fans and collectors, I don't find anything wrong with that.

If all you want is the masters and choice out takes in a concise collection with as little duplication as possible, then there are releases which cater for that too, but for some collecting is about more than that.
This may be a "CD collectors forum," but FTD is not an internet forum, rather it is a music label intended to deliver archival material -- and for studio material, it releases the material in the form of compilations or deluxe/expanded editions of original titles. The premise of FTD is not to simply reproduce a multitude of 70's era compilations, in fact that has never been a primary objective. Aside from Hits Of The 70's, which is a rarity of sorts in its own way (and would have truly offered unique content had the producers included the original mono mixes of certain songs), what other sort of compilation of masters has simply been reissued, in part for the cover art? If FTD ventures down that road, it will only dilute its legacy. If you and others want "Welcome To My World," compile the songs and burn them to a disc, and scan the original cover and print it out and place it in a jewel case -- problem solved. There is no viable archival content that FTD can add to such a release.
Surely it is not unusual for someone that collects Elvis Presley CD's to want an upgraded version of any given title. I'm not suggesting that this is the job of the collectors label, but at the moment none of us really know exactly where they are going to draw the line in terms of posthumous releases.

We've already had the "Guitar Man" material, "Our Memories Of Elvis" and "This Is Elvis" and whilst it could be argued that the former title featured re-recordings, I'm sure some fans would rather have had genuine undubbed masters than a re-hash of the OMOE material, whilst others were happy to get a CD issue of the original album(s). It all depends on your tastes.

The "This Is Elvis" LP may have given us our first official taste of the '50's TV recordings (albeit overdubbed), but a re-issue of that album was not the perfect vehicle for this material. It did however, offer further overdubs, alternate mixes etc. all of which are of interest to the collector, so I can see how it found its place on the collectors label.

"Welcome To My World" in it's original form also offered some unique mixes / edits, and for me personally it would be interesting to see RCA's notes on the compilation, and learn about other songs that may have been considered for the album.

There is at least a small market for the long deleted '70's and '80's compilations as the vast majority of them have already been bootlegged. And if FTD chose to issue some of these, I really don't think it would dilute their legacy in any way. We've had home recordings, soundboards, multi-tracks, classic albums, not so classic albums, and posthumous titles already, so if there is viable market for certain titles, maybe the label will consider them in the future.

emjel

Post by emjel »

rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:
emjel wrote:...meaning that you would pay out $35 just for a sleeve. Just more and more duplication, uneccessary expense and I do not think FTD will think that is a viable route to go.
You realize there are a number of fans who are more than happy to throw money at "sleeves." As stated, there are a number of titles that cannot conceivably be produced as bona fide, viable FTD editions, but for the sake of "completeness," a faction of fans will continue to campaign for the release of such titles. Very odd indeed.

There's not much left in terms of studio out takes now, and it's clear from the comments on this board that the later soundboards don't appeal to everyone.

Of course nobody has to buy everything, but if there is enough interest to warrant an expanded edition of "Welcome To My World" or additional titles from the late '70's / early '80's, on a label that exists solely for fans and collectors, I don't find anything wrong with that.

If all you want is the masters and choice out takes in a concise collection with as little duplication as possible, then there are releases which cater for that too, but for some collecting is about more than that.
This may be a "CD collectors forum," but FTD is not an internet forum, rather it is a music label intended to deliver archival material -- and for studio material, it releases the material in the form of compilations or deluxe/expanded editions of original titles. The premise of FTD is not to simply reproduce a multitude of 70's era compilations, in fact that has never been a primary objective. Aside from Hits Of The 70's, which is a rarity of sorts in its own way (and would have truly offered unique content had the producers included the original mono mixes of certain songs), what other sort of compilation of masters has simply been reissued, in part for the cover art? If FTD ventures down that road, it will only dilute its legacy. If you and others want "Welcome To My World," compile the songs and burn them to a disc, and scan the original cover and print it out and place it in a jewel case -- problem solved. There is no viable archival content that FTD can add to such a release.
"Welcome To My World" in it's original form also offered some unique mixes / edits, and for me personally it would be interesting to see RCA's notes on the compilation, and learn about other songs that may have been considered for the album.

There is at least a small market for the long deleted '70's and '80's compilations.......
Please give more info on the edits and mixes then.

A small market might not be a big enough market for it to be viable to FTD. Remember that unlike the bootleggers, FTD have to play by the rules and make appropriate payments to whoever.

~

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thank you folks, this topic has reached over 2000 plus views in less than a week ::rocks. There must be some interest on a possible future FTD release! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: As a gift for the "Welcome To My World" lp supporters, a little surprise here below.... :wink:.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY-1977-WELCOME-TO-MY-WORLD-RCA-PROMO-LP-in-store-POSTER-DISPLAY-/381936492376?hash=item58ed305f58:g:86QAAOSwt5hYh7jN
Can't get enough of that cover!! Love it!!

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

emjel wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:

There is at least a small market for the long deleted '70's and '80's compilations.......

A small market might not be a big enough market for it to be viable to FTD. Remember that unlike the bootleggers, FTD have to play by the rules and make appropriate payments to whoever.
From memory "Release Me" & the two Aloha tracks were remixed, whilst "Make The World Go Away" wasn't spliced.

I agree that the market for these releases (in terms of bootleg discs) may well be too small for FTD.

The point I'm trying to make, is that such a release would be of interest to some collectors, and I don't think it would harm the reputation of the label if it was to happen.

emjel

Post by emjel »

rockinrebel wrote:
emjel wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:

From memory "Release Me" & the two Aloha tracks were remixed, whilst "Make The World Go Away" wasn't spliced.

I agree that the market for these releases (in terms of bootleg discs) may well be too small for FTD.

The point I'm trying to make, is that such a release would be of interest to some collectors, and I don't think it would harm the reputation of the label if it was to happen.
I think that as the label only has another couple of years left, I suspect fans would not let a release such as this cloud their judgement as to how well the label has performed over 18 years. I think Welcome was only remixed too as it was a live Aloha track from memory. I'll have to get my vinyl copy out now and give it a spin and compare it with the CD.

~

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

rockinrebel wrote:
emjel wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Keith´s recording website states: Release Me (remix); Make The World Go Away (Take 3 Overdubbed) & Your Cheatin´Heart (Electronic Stereo) :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-sessions/discography_1970.html

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.
And who rattled your cage?

Topic author
Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

elvis-fan wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

Can't get enough of that cover!! Love it!!
Me too! :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.
I can clearly remember you advocating censorship when it comes to EIC. The word hypocrisy comes to mind...
To review Johns "historical record" is not that easy. Alot of threads where he has been proven wrong has been deleted or corrected later on...proof exist. That being said, not denying he has a certain degree of knowledge when in comes to music.

Regarding a WTMW release...I would probably not buy it, but I don´t mind if they choose to release it. It´s only music...no big deal.
Then you ought to actually read my posts on the matter which you didnt. I am personally indifferent to whether it is released or not. But Lisa Marie as the rightsholder of the intellectual property has the sole power to decide whether to release it. Anyone who wants to see it has and she has not tried to have it removed from video sites. I have a first gen beta copy recorded the night broadcast. High quality doesnt improve the experience. If i never saw it again i wouldnt lose sleep for missing seeing his bloated head painted orange, belly bursting from his suit, in free floating drug induced haze 'singing' with a wrecked voice. But if you do, knock yourself out. Lets just not pretend it is anything other than watching Elvis being stalked on stage by the reaper-because you can see and hear the death rattle.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.

Then you ought to actually read my posts on the matter which you didnt. I am personally indifferent to whether it is released or not. But Lisa Marie as the rightsholder of the intellectual property has the sole power to decide whether to release it. Anyone who wants to see it has and she has not tried to have it removed from video sites. I have a first gen beta copy recorded the night broadcast. High quality doesnt improve the experience. If i never saw it again i wouldnt lose sleep for missing seeing his bloated head painted orange, belly bursting from his suit, in free floating drug induced haze 'singing' with a wrecked voice. But if you do, knock yourself out. Lets just not pretend it is anything other than watching Elvis being stalked on stage by the reaper-because you can see and hear the death rattle.
I did read it.

Lisa Marie owned 100% of EPE uptil 2005. After that, and still does, 15%. EPE owns EIC. It´s a business. Just as FTD/Sony.
Point being, if you think it´s not ok to "advocate censorship" when it comes to FTD/Sony, same rules for EPE. You can´t pick and choose. Anything else is hypocrisy.
As I have said earlier, I don´t care if they release it or not...

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
Scarre wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Straw man cometh.

I did read it.

Lisa Marie owned 100% of EPE uptil 2005. After that, and still does, 15%. EPE owns EIC. It´s a business. Just as FTD/Sony.
Point being, if you think it´s not ok to "advocate censorship" when it comes to FTD/Sony, same rules for EPE. You can´t pick and choose. Anything else is hypocrisy.
As I have said earlier, I don´t care if they release it or not...
Then perhaps you need a brush up course in comprehension. I have NO objection if EIC is released. I also dont care whether it is. It is unwatchable except as a voyeur. It is widely available to anyone who wants to punish their eyes and ears. That's hardly a call for censorship except in the bizarro land we live in in FECC. But feel free to make it up as you go along.

As to ownership, i dont know who owns it but if its release was not legally restricted, i cant imagine EPE wouldnt grab for the money. You dont sell rubber ducks if you are interested in legacy.