January 21 1997 – ‘Colonel’ Tom Parker, Passed Away

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Mister Moon

Re: January 21 1997 – ‘Colonel’ Tom Parker, Passed Away

Post by Mister Moon »

We all, including those "rock critics", need professionally filmed footage of Elvis' tremendous concerts in stadiums in 1956 and 1957.

Oh well.

Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by Chucky99 »

Mister Moon wrote:We all, including those "rock critics", need professionally filmed footage of Elvis' tremendous concerts in stadiums in 1956 and 1957.

Oh well.
Yes.Another wish of mine.
I want footage( video and audio) with Elvis on stadiums in Detroit, Seattle, Vancouver in 57.

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Chucky99 wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:We all, including those "rock critics", need professionally filmed footage of Elvis' tremendous concerts in stadiums in 1956 and 1957.

Oh well.
Yes.Another wish of mine.
I want footage( video and audio) with Elvis on stadiums in Detroit, Seattle, Vancouver in 57.
Yeah, and Russwood Park, Memphis, and Cotton Bowl, Dallas, in 56.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Chucky99 wrote:And one thing more.
If Elvis did concerts in England in 61 and 62 ..I tell you the Beatles would not have had a single chance of making it in UK. I am very sure of it to this day.Picture this:Elvis with his incredible voice and lean body and explosive style and movements for the first time in front of an english public avid for him like for a glass of water in the desert.It would have been a BLAST.Like meeting an alien from out of space.No chance for Beatles.It' s only the Colonel' s Fault...
Amazing comment. Simply amazing.

r&b

Post by r&b »

goldbelt wrote:Since the Abba in Australia photo doesn't seem to be displaying in my previous post ...........

ABBA attracts Beatlemania sized crowds in Australia

Beatles attract ABBAmania sized crowds in Australia

Anyone know how many people the Beatles played to in Australia? Reportedly, ABBA played to 160,000 people over the duration of 11 dates.
What the heck does ABBA have to do with any of this? We are talking about the 2 biggest and influential act in music history. And people say I compare apples & oranges. Why not throw in The Bay City Rollers, and whatever other fad that happened along the way?

GLAISTER
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by GLAISTER »

Elvis should have fired the Colonel the day he finished reading the script for "Blue Hawaii" - had he done so, then maybe in another context we might be viewing both Elvis and the Colonel in a different way today.

r&b

Post by r&b »

GLAISTER wrote:Elvis should have fired the Colonel the day he finished reading the script for "Blue Hawaii" - had he done so, then maybe in another context we might be viewing both Elvis and the Colonel in a different way today.
It is unthinkable and totally inexcusable that within the first few years after the Army a tour wasnt discussed and that should have been a world tour. Never was the time more right than after Blue Hawaii. Peak of popularity and The Pearl Harbor concert should have been the warmup show for it. Forget the 70's. This was the time. Biggest missed opportunity of his whole career IMO. Elvis should have demanded this of his manager.

goldbelt
Registered for: 11 years 4 months

Post by goldbelt »

r&b wrote:
goldbelt wrote:Since the Abba in Australia photo doesn't seem to be displaying in my previous post ...........

Anyone know how many people the Beatles played to in Australia? Reportedly, ABBA played to 160,000 people over the duration of 11 dates.
What the heck does ABBA have to do with any of this? We are talking about the 2 biggest and influential act in music history. And people say I compare apples & oranges. Why not throw in The Bay City Rollers, and whatever other fad that happened along the way?
You were claiming that no artists attracted as large a crowd as the Beatles, before or since. Or something like that - do you even know yourself what it is exactly that you are arguing?

Regardless, if you and davelee can't work out why the two Australia photos of ABBA and the Beatles may be of some interest then don't worry about it. Doesn't mean that other members may not be interested.

How many people did the Beatles play to in Australia, do you know?

Anyway, you carry on playing 'my pop star is better than your pop star' if you want to.

r&b

Post by r&b »

goldbelt wrote:
r&b wrote:

You were claiming that no artists attracted as large a crowd as the Beatles, before or since.

If you and davelee can't work out why that might make the two Australia photos of ABBA and the Beatles of some interest then don't worry about it. Doesn't mean that other members may not be interested.

No I dont. My whole post had to do with Beatlemania as a whole as it happened in 1964-65. A huge 2 years. I lived it. Its quite possible ABBA played to bigger crowds in Australia. Heck Billy Joel has had 43 sold MSG concerts and maybe even Micheal Jackson , Zep, or Sinatra have played to bigger crowds. I dont know the numbers. What I do know is Beatlemania was the biggest thing I ever saw happen in show business. Part of it had to do with their arrival in NY and playing Sullivan. No one ever received press coverage like that at an airport or on NY radio after landing. Then the records (everyone forget they had the top 5 slots on the singles charts in April 64? Unheard of before or since). The constant news blitz, on radio, TV, newspapers. The marketing of products (yeah just like Elvis in 56 but bigger. More teens were buying in the 60's). Basically every single and album hit number one until they broke up. Thats just insane. Each record showing new growth as writers which influenced basically everyone, maybe except Dylan. People can argue this all day long, but facts are facts. And it lasted beyond 1966 & their touring years as well. While not quite mania anymore, now they were revered for their albums and studio work. The anticipation for The White Album, and Abbey Road was unlike anything I ever saw by fans and press alike. its like what will they do next was on every music lover's mind. Even non-fans & musical snobs. Dont recall many people anxiously awaiting new Elvis product except his fan base.

Chucky99
Registered for: 9 years 1 month

Post by Chucky99 »

r&b wrote:
goldbelt wrote:
r&b wrote:

You were claiming that no artists attracted as large a crowd as the Beatles, before or since.

If you and davelee can't work out why that might make the two Australia photos of ABBA and the Beatles of some interest then don't worry about it. Doesn't mean that other members may not be interested.

No I dont. My whole post had to do with Beatlemania as a whole as it happened in 1964-65. A huge 2 years. I lived it. Its quite possible ABBA played to bigger crowds in Australia. Heck Billy Joel has had 43 sold MSG concerts and maybe even Micheal Jackson , Zep, or Sinatra have played to bigger crowds. I dont know the numbers. What I do know is Beatlemania was the biggest thing I ever saw happen in show business. Part of it had to do with their arrival in NY and playing Sullivan. No one ever received press coverage like that at an airport or on NY radio after landing. Then the records (everyone forget they had the top 5 slots on the singles charts in April 64? Unheard of before or since). The constant news blitz, on radio, TV, newspapers. The marketing of products (yeah just like Elvis in 56 but bigger. More teens were buying in the 60's). Basically every single and album hit number one until they broke up. Thats just insane. Each record showing new growth as writers which influenced basically everyone, maybe except Dylan. People can argue this all day long, but facts are facts. And it lasted beyond 1966 & their touring years as well. While not quite mania anymore, now they were revered for their albums and studio work. The anticipation for The White Album, and Abbey Road was unlike anything I ever saw by fans and press alike. its like what will they do next was on every music lover's mind. Even non-fans & musical snobs. Dont recall many people anxiously awaiting new Elvis product except his fan base.
I' ll listen to Elvis is back, From Elvis in Memphis, Elvis and Elvis Presley albums any day over overrated albums like White Album or Sgt Pepper or Abbey Road.The Beatles were way overrated.I am telling you.I don ' t know anybody here in Romania who listens to Beatles crap.But Elvis music...oh yeah baby...

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Post by Davelee »

Oh well.
That would be nice!

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Let's not forget how many bands were inspired by The Beatles; The Rolling Stones, Gerry and the Peacemakers, Herman's Hermits, Kinks, Animals, Pink Floyd, Queen, to name only some of them.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

jurasic1968 wrote:Let's not forget how many bands were inspired by The Beatles; The Rolling Stones, Gerry and the Peacemakers, Herman's Hermits, Kinks, Animals, Pink Floyd, Queen, to name only some of them.
Queen was inspired by Elvis too, as were the Beatles.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Right. It was great to see Freddie performing Jailhouse Rock live. And also Crazy Little Thing Called Love - a song dedicated to the King.

r&b

Post by r&b »

jurasic1968 wrote:Let's not forget how many bands were inspired by The Beatles; The Rolling Stones, Gerry and the Peacemakers, Herman's Hermits, Kinks, Animals, Pink Floyd, Queen, to name only some of them.
Yes but it was more than just the music. They changed the whole cultural landscape just like Elvis. Days after their first Sullivan show, boys stopped combing their hair back and started combing it forward. Teens everywhere started forming rock bands or trying to anyway. It was a special time. Things were never the same again. Despite his words, I think Elvis had a hard time accepting all the changes in the 60's. Maybe he accepted the cultural boom ABBA provided better.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:I think Elvis had a hard time accepting all the changes in the 60's.
That was due to Parker and the material he was being provided with.

r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:
Well that was part of it, but a quote from Elvis I once read was (paraphrasing it) , How can The Beatles be so popular. They arent even that good looking. I think that speaks volumes about where his head was at. He probably didnt get The Stones either.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
Well that was part of it, but a quote from Elvis I once read was (paraphrasing it) , How can The Beatles be so popular. They arent even that good looking. I think that speaks volumes about where his head was at. He probably didnt get The Stones either.
Looks is not everything! But they certainly had the music - their songwriting in popular music is unbeaten. They were a lot more talented then Elvis in many ways.

brian

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:Well that was part of it, but a quote from Elvis I once read was (paraphrasing it) , How can The Beatles be so popular. They arent even that good looking. I think that speaks volumes about where his head was at. He probably didnt get The Stones either.
I don't know how accurate that is. I have heard that he liked the Beatles early stuff and admired the production on their early records. As I recall he even said nice things about the Beatles and their music at the 69 Vegas press conference. Singing idols througout history weren't always handsome in fact many weren't.

r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:Well that was part of it, but a quote from Elvis I once read was (paraphrasing it) , How can The Beatles be so popular. They arent even that good looking. I think that speaks volumes about where his head was at. He probably didnt get The Stones either.
I don't know how accurate that is. I have heard that he liked the Beatles early stuff and admired the production on their early records. As I recall he even said nice things about the Beatles and their music at the 69 Vegas press conference. Singing idols througout history weren't always handsome in fact many weren't.
I think I read this in Tom Jones book when they were discussing the group. I know it was within the last year or two.

brian

Post by brian »

Tom Jones is always telling these wacky Elvis stories.

TCBell

Post by TCBell »

Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
Looks is not everything! But they certainly had the music - their songwriting in popular music is unbeaten. They were a lot more talented then Elvis in many ways.
Much prefer Jagger/Richards - more rock than pop.

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

TCBell wrote:
Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
That's a matter of taste, but as far as songwriting success goes Lennon/McCartney are way ahead.

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Let's not forget Plant and Page. A song influenced by Elvis is Hot Dog from 1979 (it's not the Elvis 1957 song).

r&b

Post by r&b »

Davelee wrote:
TCBell wrote:
Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
That's a matter of taste, but as far as songwriting success goes Lennon/McCartney are way ahead.
Yes, and Elvis preferred them to the Stones music.