1987 BBC 'Presley' Documentary: Parts One & Two

Post by Garfield »

Part One: I Don't Sound Like Nobody

Part Two: Cut Me & I Bleed

GLAISTER
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Re: 1987 BBC 'Presley' Documentary: Parts One & Two

Post by GLAISTER »

I taped this excellent documentary when it was first shown - 20 years ago now (man I feel old), and converted it to DVD years ago. It's fascinating and so far, I think the best documentary on Elvis' life that has been made so far (although I am hoping the forthcoming HBO profject will eclipse it).

The BBC are brilliant at this sort of thing and I would highly recomend it to anyone that hasn't seen it.

DarrylMac
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by DarrylMac »

GLAISTER wrote:I taped this excellent documentary when it was first shown - 20 years ago now (man I feel old), and converted it to DVD years ago. It's fascinating and so far, I think the best documentary on Elvis' life that has been made so far (although I am hoping the forthcoming HBO profject will eclipse it).

The BBC are brilliant at this sort of thing and I would highly recomend it to anyone that hasn't seen it.
Just to make you feel older, it was 30 years!

It was, and remains, a really good documentary, with some great interviews, and interesting choices of footage. I remember my mum, not an Elvis fan, being impressed with the second part especially, and Lead Me, Guide Me resonating with her.

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

DarrylMac wrote:
GLAISTER wrote:I taped this excellent documentary when it was first shown - 20 years ago now (man I feel old), and converted it to DVD years ago. It's fascinating and so far, I think the best documentary on Elvis' life that has been made so far (although I am hoping the forthcoming HBO profject will eclipse it).

Just to make you feel older, it was 30 years!

It was, and remains, a really good documentary, with some great interviews, and interesting choices of footage. I remember my mum, not an Elvis fan, being impressed with the second part especially, and Lead Me, Guide Me resonating with her.
30 years, thanks for correcting me, and reinforcing the point my friend!! Jeeeeeeeeeeeez :shock: (really it was a typo!)

I would actually love to see an expanded version of this documentary on DVD and the BBC should seriously consider it. They interviewed all the right people and must have hours of material they didn't use and I'd love to hear more of what people like JD, Marion Keisker, and Sam Phillips had to say.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thanks a lot, Garfield!

TCBell

Post by TCBell »

If I remember correctly, this wonderful two-parter was only shown the one time in 1987. It's a crying shame that it's never seen the light of day on tv again. As they are good for showing music documentaries, maybe BBC4 will repeat it if we ask them nicely!

MoodyBlue1963
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by MoodyBlue1963 »

Thank you, Garfield.
Haven't seen this before and I enjoyed it very much. Great documentary.

Topic author
Garfield
Registered for: 14 years 7 months

Post by Garfield »

GLAISTER wrote:They interviewed all the right people and must have hours of material they didn't use and I'd love to hear more of what people like JD, Marion Keisker, and Sam Phillips had to say.
I've spoken to someone who was involved in the making of this documentary and he confirmed that there are many hours of interview footage still to be seen. He was able to preview all the raw tapes with the production team in 1987 and helped in the selection of materials.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by sweetangeline »

PRESLEY - 30th Anniversary Edition (1st time on DVD / BLU-RAY) including all full / uncut interviews!!

to be released...never :cry:

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

Garfield wrote:
GLAISTER wrote:They interviewed all the right people and must have hours of material they didn't use and I'd love to hear more of what people like JD, Marion Keisker, and Sam Phillips had to say.
I've spoken to someone who was involved in the making of this documentary and he confirmed that there are many hours of interview footage still to be seen. He was able to preview all the raw tapes with the production team in 1987 and helped in the selection of materials.
Maybe you could apply some pressure and he or she can lean on somone .... :wink:

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout »

I definitely remember seeing this documentary here in the U.S. also but I can't remember during what year or anniversary that it was shown on. I just know that I enjoyed every bit of it!!

Thanks for sharing it here!

"If the songs don't go over, we can do a medley of costumes!" - Elvis Presley (August 10, 1970 backstage in his dressing room before the first show of the August, 10, 1970/September 8, 1970 season in Vegas).

ck1
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Post by ck1 »

I have this on VHS also.
I hope the BBC revive it at some point, it was a really classy documentary.
Never been shown since 1987 as far as I know.

luke1

Post by luke1 »

Excellent documentary indeed if not one of the best ever made.

Hav-A-Tampa
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Hav-A-Tampa »

Thanks a lot, this is a brilliant documentary - I agree, one of the best ever. As Glaister wrote; they interviewed all (well maybe not, but many of them!) the right people - who were still alive and relatively young back in 1987... 30 years ago! I was 18 in 1987, surely that can't be 30 years ago :wink:

This should be out on DVD with lots of extras.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

A few extra interviews were included in one of the fan clubs videos around the time ,maybe they were included on have you heard the news from the EPFC video workshop

-instagram kenh1964

cliveatdell
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by cliveatdell »

Another video where the epfc workshop used out takes from "Presley" was Sun days with Elvis.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Registered for: 8 years 10 months

Post by Davelee »

30 YEARS AGO!!!!

Boy, time flies!!

Thanks for the upload, haven't seen it since 87.

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by jetblack »

This 2 part docu was produced by Ann Freer who had previously produced the series The Rock n' Roll Years' for the BBC.

Part 1 was broadcast on BBC1, Sunday 16 August 1987 at 9.30pm. Part 2 the following night.

It has never been re-broadcast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rock_'n'_Roll_Years

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

TCBell

Post by TCBell »

Which is typical of the BBC, to spend licence payers money on an excellent documentary, for it only to be shown once.

sanorman
Registered for: 9 years 2 months

Post by sanorman »

TCBell wrote:Which is typical of the BBC, to spend licence payers money on an excellent documentary, for it only to be shown once.
I remember reading an interview with the BBC film makers at the time and they said that they had the co-operation of the Elvis estate in the making of the programmes but it was on the condition that it was only ever to be shown once. A strange thing but I clearly remember reading it and obviously true it seems.

TCBell

Post by TCBell »

sanorman wrote:
TCBell wrote:Which is typical of the BBC, to spend licence payers money on an excellent documentary, for it only to be shown once.
I remember reading an interview with the BBC film makers at the time and they said that they had the co-operation of the Elvis estate in the making of the programmes but it was on the condition that it was only ever to be shown once. A strange thing but I clearly remember reading it and obviously true it seems.
That would explain why it's never been shown again but, as you say, a strange condition to make.

lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

The one comment I found very sad was that Elvis "received very little love from the Colonel." You would think they would have had a very close and special relationship. What a true shame. Thanks for posting this.

Elvisly,

Linda

TCBell

Post by TCBell »

lovin' EP wrote:The one comment I found very sad was that Elvis "received very little love from the Colonel." You would think they would have had a very close and special relationship. What a true shame. Thanks for posting this.

Elvisly,

Linda
I don't think the Colonel was a "loving" person. His early days in Holland suggests that he didn't care much for his own family, disappearing for years without saying a word and no concern that they may be worried about him.

DarrylMac

Post by DarrylMac »

TCBell wrote:
sanorman wrote:
That would explain why it's never been shown again but, as you say, a strange condition to make.
I wonder if it was something to do with the inclusion of the HGTA footage from Omaha?

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

The Colonel loved only one thing: the almighty dollar. Nothing else.