A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: A LITTLE LESS CONVERSATION

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Fabbe wrote:Are you guys sure the vocals used for the remix were recorded in March '68?
All indications are that JXL used an acetate containing most of take 2 from the March 1968 session for his remix.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Fabbe
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Fabbe »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fabbe wrote:Are you guys sure the vocals used for the remix were recorded in March '68?
All indications are that JXL used an acetate containing most of take 2 from the March 1968 session for his remix.
thanks!!

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

"An artist like Elvis is actually pretending, when he’s home, to be normal. And when he goes out on stage at night is who he actually is." — Bruce Springsteen

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

r&b

Post by r&b »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thanks. Man that sure sounds like something that was recorded for the 68 TV show. I always thought it was. Now, you have to wonder why it wasnt used on the single in 68. I wish Elvis would have cut more with Billy Strange, Hal Blaine and the Wrecking Crew in the late 60's. Perhaps right before or after Chips. What a fabulous ensemble. I hope you got to view The Wrecking Crew documentary, available on DVD or Netflix. Amazing body of work and Hal plays the opening drums from this song live on the video along with the record.

bajo

Post by bajo »

When listening to T.2 of ALLC, I find it questionable that it is the same vocal on the "NBC" version? T. 2 doesn't sound as edgy as the vocal on what was thought to be the NBC track, IMO!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Billy Strange and The Wrecking Crew would have certainly been far more interesting than what happened after 1970, that's for sure!

sweetangeline
Registered for: 15 years

Post by sweetangeline »

skatterbrane wrote:Billy Strange and The Wrecking Crew would have certainly been far more interesting than what happened after 1970, that's for sure!
:lol:

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Thanks. Man that sure sounds like something that was recorded for the 68 TV show. I always thought it was.
Again, some feel that not every bit of that take 2 acetate derives from March.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Stevenson
Registered for: 10 years 7 months

Post by Stevenson »

First two takes of A Little Less Conversation really sound different to the master. The reason for this is the key change: while master version is in key of A-major, the first two takes are perfect fourth lower - in E-major.

In take 2 (key of E-major), Elvis at first sings the song lower (from beginning to the brigde). The last one "Yeah.... A Little Less Conversation" is higher (it does seem like an "emotional climax" to the song) - it's possible for him to sing in higher register because whole melody has been transposed down, to the key of E-major.
But when he changes the key of the song in other takes (to the key of A-major), the "after-bridge section" (last "A Little Less Conversation") is too high for him to sing, so he exclamates "AAAaaaahhhh!" and gets back singing in lower register, just like he did in the beginning of those takes. And this is why Master sound different to the Take 2.

Take 2 (and JXL remix) does sound as it was recorded at the different time, but the reason is change of the key.

As a side note - for those interested, just compare other songs where Elvis changed the key (in first two the difference is more audible):
I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell (Alternate Master) [Eb-major] <--> master [F#-major]
Wild In The Country (Takes 1-2) [Bb-major] <--> master [G-major]
also:
I Beg Of You (Alternate master) [D-major] <--> master [C-major]
Fame And Fortune (Takes 1-4) [C-major] <--> take 5 to the master [Bb-major]
That's When Your Heartaches Begin (Take 1) [C-major] <--> take 2 to the master [Bb-major]

EDIT: Just a thought. Perhaps someone apt could change the key in the Take 2 (perfect fourth up, from E-major to A-major) and post it here? :) We could hear for ourselves, how does the sound changes... Unfortunately, I have no such program to alter the sound.

When your heart gets restless - time to move along,
When your heart gets weary - time to sing a song,
But when a dream is calling you
There's just one thing that you can do...

Follow That Dream (1961)

Eggrert
Registered for: 12 years 7 months

Post by Eggrert »

Stevenson wrote:As a side note - for those interested, just compare other songs where Elvis changed the key (in first two the difference is more audible):
I Slipped I Stumbled I Fell (Alternate Master) [Eb-major] <--> master [F#-major]
also:
That's When Your Heartaches Begin (Take 1) [C-major] <--> take 2 to the master [Bb-major]
This alone could be an interesting thread. For the record, What's She Really Like is another one.

Andy-M

Post by Andy-M »

Eggrert wrote:
Stevenson wrote:As a side note - for those interested, just compare other songs where Elvis changed the key (in first two the difference is more audible):
also:
This alone could be an interesting thread. For the record, What's She Really Like is another one.
Exactly :)

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Composer Mac Davis covered Elvis's version of his own song (with Billy Strange) a few years later released on album in 1971. Very funky and rocking. I like it!

Here it is cleaned up a bit.
http://www34.zippyshare.com/v/OZlv63y2/file.html

"Thank you Elvis"!