Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
mmoie
Registered for: 15 years

Elvis Blu ray up scaled to 4K

Post by mmoie »

Hi just bought new tv in sales 60 inc led 4K Samsung also purchased Samsung 4 K Blu ray player.
I have had a blu ray player before but not a 4k one or tv .
And have watched Elvis Blu rays before but watching his blu ray movies on up scaled 4K is amazing watching Viva Las Vegas now and the quality is excellent some of the sene's are nearly like 3D.
Although some sene's like when Elvis and Anne Margaret are water sking the 4k really shows up that they are in front of a film and not really skying.
Also the Quality of TTWIS and EOT is also much better on 4K up scaling than normal Blu Ray.
Has anybody else's experienced this .
Regards Matthew

L Ray
Registered for: 16 years 7 months

Re: Elvis Blu ray up scaled to 4K

Post by L Ray »

I'm happy for you. I will be getting similar equipment in the future. Later this year or maybe next year. Have you tried out any of the Elvis movie DVDs? Do they get a boost also?

Topic author
mmoie
Registered for: 15 years

Post by mmoie »

Hi just put a few on now picked them at random some are better than others
Charro looks great as does Stay Away Joe ,GI Blues ,Girls girls girls not as good The thing is if u feed bad or not so good quality into the 4K tv and 4K blu ray player I thing it up scales the deficiencies that the material has.
Regards Matthew

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

mmoie wrote:Hi just bought new tv in sales 60 inc led 4K Samsung also purchased Samsung 4 K Blu ray player.
And have watched Elvis Blu rays before but watching his blu ray movies on up scaled 4K is amazing watching Viva Las Vegas now and the quality is excellent some of the sene's are nearly like 3D.
Although some sene's like when Elvis and Anne Margaret are water sking the 4k really shows up that they are in front of a film and not really skying.
Also the Quality of TTWIS and EOT is also much better on 4K up scaling than normal Blu Ray.
Regards Matthew
Just think how good Elvis on an actual 4K would look if we ever do get one; especially "Elvis In Concert..err I mean "On Tour". :smt007

Elvis2000
Registered for: 7 years 11 months

Post by Elvis2000 »

promiseland wrote:
mmoie wrote:Hi just bought new tv in sales 60 inc led 4K Samsung also purchased Samsung 4 K Blu ray player.
Regards Matthew
Just think how good Elvis on an actual 4K would look if we ever do get one; especially "Elvis In Concert..err I mean "On Tour". :smt007
What if they put together a concert from different shows that they recorded for a On Tour box set. Like the 2001 TTWII dvd. Elvis In concert wouldn't be bad, but it is not for the general public.

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

mmoie wrote:Hi just put a few on now picked them at random some are better than others
Charro looks great as does Stay Away Joe ,GI Blues ,Girls girls girls not as good The thing is if u feed bad or not so good quality into the 4K tv and 4K blu ray player I thing it up scales the deficiencies that the material has.
Regards Matthew
Thanks for the info.

the squirrel
Registered for: 21 years

Post by the squirrel »

Come on EPE we want anything we can get our hands on in 4K :D

Everybody brings happiness to this messageboard.
Some when they enter.
And some when they leave.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

mmoie on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:00 am wrote:Hi just bought new tv in sales 60 inc led 4K Samsung also purchased Samsung 4 K Blu ray player.
Regards Matthew
JR and VLV is without a doubt the best 2 Elvis blurays out there.....LMT on 3rd place.
But I like all the Elvis blurays..."worst" ones is Clambake and F&J......IMO

Tony C
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

the squirrel on Sat Feb 23, 2019 4:18 pm wrote:Come on EPE we want anything we can get our hands on in 4K :D
What have EPE got to do with it? They are not a films company and do not own the rights to any of Elvis' films.

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

mmole, I have a 4K TV but only have a bluray player. Is it worth the money to go to a 4K player? Does your 4k player connect to your TV with just an HDMI cable or is it more complicated? Thanks!

steve in SC

Post by steve in SC »

Greystoke on Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:19 pm wrote:
steve in SC on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:50 am wrote:mmole, I have a 4K TV but only have a bluray player. Is it worth the money to go to a 4K player? Does your 4k player connect to your TV with just an HDMI cable or is it more complicated? Thanks!
It's certainly worth buying a 4K Blu-ray player, but not for the sake of upscaling. Invest in a good player for a growing range of 4K discs and making the best use out of your television. You may need to buy a new HDMi cable, depending on the bandwidth of the one you have, but it's as simple as that for connecting to your television.
Thanks!!

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by TINML »

GibbersGanfa on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:44 pm wrote:
LSP-4445 on Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:03 am wrote:
mmoie on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:00 am wrote:Hi just bought new tv in sales 60 inc led 4K Samsung also purchased Samsung 4 K Blu ray player.
Regards Matthew
JR and VLV is without a doubt the best 2 Elvis blurays out there.....LMT on 3rd place.
But I like all the Elvis blurays..."worst" ones is Clambake and F&J......IMO
Clambake might be one of the "worst" Blu-Rays but considering the quality of the transfer and resolution that had been out there on DVD for years, I take it as a huge improvement. Way better than that caked-in letterboxing on the DVD.
Did the same company that put our FLAMING STARVon Blu-ray do Clambake too? I bought FS for 10 bucks brand new and the quality was damn good to me.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

L Ray

Post by L Ray »

I don't agree that Clambake is in poor quality. I thought both Frankie and Johnny and Clambake were done well on Blu-ray. Some didn't think that the scenes of Florida while Elvis is riding down the rode (Elvis isn't really there) are poor but that has to do with the original sources of the film itself. The rest of the movie looks very good and the scene mentioned is only a small part. For me the weakest quality would go to Wild In The Country and it is still much better than the DVD.

I also have a 4K TV and player. I agree that they make the Blu-rays look better and they help the DVDs also.

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Scoobie »

I find blu-ray upscaled to 4k (by either the blu ray player or the TV) look very good. Especially JR and VLV.
The Blu-ray of the ‘68 special looks good, but not much better than the DVD.

Will we ever get true 4k blu rays of any Elvis movies? Goodness only knows. We don’t even have a complete 1080p collection yet (King Creole for example).

A 4k player is a good investment to go with your 4K TV. A true 4k image is considerably better in quality than upscaled 1080p.

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years

Post by LSP-4445 »

Greystoke on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:19 am wrote:
steve in SC on Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:50 am wrote:mmole, I have a 4K TV but only have a bluray player. Is it worth the money to go to a 4K player? Does your 4k player connect to your TV with just an HDMI cable or is it more complicated? Thanks!
It's certainly worth buying a 4K Blu-ray player, but not for the sake of upscaling. Invest in a good player for a growing range of 4K discs and making the best use out of your television. You may need to buy a new HDMi cable, depending on the bandwidth of the one you have, but it's as simple as that for connecting to your television.
I must admit that I cant see much difference when comparing a 1080p movie with the same title as 4k.(none HDR title)
I compared on a 65` inch 4K tv and sitting pretty close to the screen.
The quality was perhaps a little better....more 3D effect if that makes any sense BUT the big difference and the reason anyone should invest in a 4K player and 4K tv is the HDR feature. IMO
Watching and playing video games in 4K WITH HDR supported titles blew me away....that is amazing :)

the squirrel

Post by the squirrel »

This site has quite a good list of real or fake 4k movies.

An eye opener if you have a big collection of supposed 4k movies.

https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

The amount of fake/upscaled 4k movies is really very dissappointing..........we are being well and truly ripped off on a huge scale.

Some when they enter.

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

Just bought my partner a 4k TV and 4k blu ray... didn't realise you have to go in to the TV settings to "enhance" the HDMI inputs, they're usually not optimised.. so changed the settings, bought new high speed HDMI cables and the result is stunning !

Blu Rays look fantastic, the only 4k Disc I've tried is the 40th edition of Close Encounters Of The Third Kind..and it looks like it was filmed today !

Dolby Vision and 4k on Netflix look stunning too ! Will have to try some Elvis out tomorrow.

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Dan_T »

the squirrel on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:17 pm wrote:This site has quite a good list of real or fake 4k movies.

The amount of fake/upscaled 4k movies is really very dissappointing..........we are being well and truly ripped off on a huge scale.
So the fake 4K HDR Discs is just the same as your Blu Ray being upscaled ? That is a con !

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 20 years

Post by fn2drive »

All depends on size of screen and distance from screen. Most use cases except in home theater projector differences are no discernible.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

dennyelvis
Registered for: 19 years 6 months

Post by dennyelvis »

I too recently bought a 4K HDR tv, and if you watch true 4K like YouTube trailers for example they look FABULOUS!..IT'S very dependent on source quality, hard to expect a 60s movie (low budget too) to come to close?

The image is one thing and the human being is another. It’s very hard to live up to an image, put it that way.

the squirrel

Post by the squirrel »

Dan_T on Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:28 am wrote:
the squirrel on Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:17 pm wrote:This site has quite a good list of real or fake 4k movies.

So the fake 4K HDR Discs is just the same as your Blu Ray being upscaled ? That is a con !
Yes my friend a total con.........shame

Some when they enter.

Scoobie
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by Scoobie »

the squirrel on Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:19 pm wrote:
Dan_T on Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:28 am wrote:

Yes my friend a total con.........shame
True a 2k digital intermediate is not as good as a 4k digital intermediate, but the fact that it is a 2kDI is used still makes it superior to 1080p (blu ray). Also, Ultra HD is not just about the number of pixels, it is also has two other ways it beats blu-ray, 1) HDR (wide colour gamut) and 2) Dolby Atmos, both of which are significant upgrades over blu-ray.

Imagine TTWII or EOT with Dolby Atmos, this could create a very atmospheric mix using the Atmos speakers for crowd noise as well as the rear speakers for the backing singers, it would be fantastic (if they did it right, which someone would probably screw up, Elvis releases always have a flaw of some kind).

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Elvis2000 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:05 pm wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Regards Matthew
What if they put together a concert from different shows that they recorded for a On Tour box set. Like the 2001 TTWII dvd. Elvis In concert wouldn't be bad, but it is not for the general public.
The Elvis In Concert broadcast was on video so it couldn't be true 4K quality...

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

The releasing policy of Elvis on Blu-ray is still a shame. Thousands of crappy movies already out there on Blu-ray but not even half of his films on an almost already obsolete format out yet.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Alan_K
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

Post by Alan_K »

elvis-fan on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:31 am wrote:
Elvis2000 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:05 pm wrote:
promiseland wrote:
Regards Matthew
The Elvis In Concert broadcast was on video so it couldn't be true 4K quality...
So was the 68 special.
What is the maximum res that can be gleaned from 2 inch video tape? I nalways though it was broadcast defaullt 586, but with intermediate res a max of 720, yet we have blu-ray now.......so ????? (P.S. Apologies etc, I've posted this absolutely drunk) - (it happens) - (now and again) - (often) delete as applicable

15562days.com - A chronological profile of the most influential artist of the latter half of the 20th century, Elvis Presley.