Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Re: Another 40 years ago tonight thread

Post by Robert »

midnightx wrote:
jessewade wrote:
lovin' EP wrote:
midnightx wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Linda, two killer shows in two nights.
"Killer" shows? That is a gross exaggeration. Elvis' short, late-December tour showed signs of life and the concerts in question certainly were stronger than most of his prior concert performances from that difficult year of touring. That said, the late-December tour is frequently overrated by fans as being something that it wasn't. It was still 1976. Elvis was still loaded with pharmaceuticals, and it showed. His vocals were pitchy and uneven. He masked certain vocal deficiencies with bellowing and episodes of shouting. The arrangements were often lackluster. The set-list was generally sterile. Even with Elvis being in better condition to perform, the concerts in question were far from being "killer" Elvis concerts.
Midnight, this is a very negative post. I was there and can vouch for the fact that Elvis was putting on some excellent shows on December 29 and December 30. Why don't you give the guy a break!

The Elvis charisma was still shining brightly and we all loved the shows that were lucky enough to be there.

BTW, how many shows did you see live to be such a critical person??? What has 20+ years done to you???

Elvisky,

Linda
Thanks for the post Linda I am so glad you're on this board.
Your comments and memories are so much more interesting than all the negativity here
YOU were there . Midnightx was not.
PERIOD
Yawn. Linda has a fond memory from 40 years ago. I have the audio evidence.
It's very important to understand a concert experience comes with the full package.
Setlist, audience response, vocal delivery, energy, humor, sound and acoustics, artist charisma, venue.

Instead of the 1976 comparison game to other years, Elvis ticked all the boxes during the December tour.
Outstanding since the year had not been kind to our man.
What a surprise it must have been to fans in attendance.

vinelvis
Registered for: 10 years

Post by vinelvis »

stevelecher wrote:December 29, 1976, Elvis does one of the most remarkable shows of his career. One song, First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, provides one of the most intimate, hair raising on the back of your neck, musical moments of the concert years. Elvis' voice, so tattered the last couple years, is heard again without any bravado and with intimacy and delicacy again. He sings part of the song virtually a cappella. A truly mesmerizing concert moment, and not " just for 1976."

IMO, the whole concert is good, and outstanding for the period. Another song he hadn't done in awhile, For The Good Times, started off a little unrehearsed sounding but then found Elvis' voice much more like 1972 than the shaky, nasal job he did on it in 1975. All the "big" songs of the usual show, most notably "Now Or Never," "My Way," Unchained," "Mountain," and "Trying To Get To You," found vocals with something extra from Elvis over the usual renditions.

As acclaimed as the Pittsburgh NYE show is, this show IMO, is the better of the two and perhaps the best show of his last three plus years.
Nice post! The December tour is one of my favorite tours! And I really like the December 29 show. Although I think the December 30rd show is the best.
It may be true that he had used some pills to get that much energy, but I rather have an energetic Elvis than an tired sounding Elvis.

Mr. Songman
BANNED - FREQUENT RETURNING MEMBER
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Post by Mr. Songman »

midnightx wrote:
jessewade wrote:
lovin' EP wrote:
midnightx wrote:
stevelecher wrote:Linda, two killer shows in two nights.
"Killer" shows? That is a gross exaggeration. Elvis' short, late-December tour showed signs of life and the concerts in question certainly were stronger than most of his prior concert performances from that difficult year of touring. That said, the late-December tour is frequently overrated by fans as being something that it wasn't. It was still 1976. Elvis was still loaded with pharmaceuticals, and it showed. His vocals were pitchy and uneven. He masked certain vocal deficiencies with bellowing and episodes of shouting. The arrangements were often lackluster. The set-list was generally sterile. Even with Elvis being in better condition to perform, the concerts in question were far from being "killer" Elvis concerts.
Midnight, this is a very negative post. I was there and can vouch for the fact that Elvis was putting on some excellent shows on December 29 and December 30. Why don't you give the guy a break!

The Elvis charisma was still shining brightly and we all loved the shows that were lucky enough to be there.

BTW, how many shows did you see live to be such a critical person??? What has 20+ years done to you???

Elvisky,

Linda
Thanks for the post Linda I am so glad you're on this board.
Your comments and memories are so much more interesting than all the negativity here
YOU were there . Midnightx was not.
PERIOD
Yawn. Linda has a fond memory from 40 years ago. I have the audio evidence.
Linda - pay no attention to this kind of reply [to] a happy memory that you tried to share...

He has a CD - You LIVED IT!

I think the guy is pretty damned pathetic to act this way over a damn CD...
Last edited by Mr. Songman on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mr. Songman wrote:Linda - pay no attention to this kind of reply [to] a happy memory that you tried to share...

He has a CD - You LIVE IT!

I think the guy is pretty pathetic to act this way over a damn CD
There's room for every opinion here, let's just keep it civil. I can see both views as valid.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mr. Songman

Post by Mr. Songman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mr. Songman wrote:Linda - pay no attention to this kind of reply [to] a happy memory that you tried to share...

He has a CD - You LIVE IT!

I think the guy is pretty pathetic to act this way over a damn CD
There's room for every opinion here, let's just keep it civil. I can see both views as valid.
So - you believe HIS response to Linda was civil...?

Don't start with me

drjohncarpenter

Mr. Songman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There's room for every opinion here, let's just keep it civil. I can see both views as valid.

Don't start with me
If you follow the conversation, the response seems to follow the general tone expressed.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Mr. Songman

Post by Mr. Songman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mr. Songman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:There's room for every opinion here, let's just keep it civil. I can see both views as valid.

Don't start with me
If you follow the conversation, the response seems to follow the general tone expressed.
No it doesn't [as a matter of fact] - it was uncalled for...

lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

Guys, I think it's time to move on, don't you? :)

Elvisly,

Linda

Mr. Songman

Post by Mr. Songman »

lovin' EP wrote:Guys, I think it's time to move on, don't you? :)

Elvisly,

Linda
I fully agree, but I have no respect for someone calling out another individual trying to defend or assist against unwarranted contemptuous & humiliating treatment from other members....

Many wish they could have experienced what you have fond memories of, and the comments I saw - were in no way asking for demeaning replies.

~Hawk

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Wiebe wrote:Audio recording on a cassette tape with a dodgy mix and no acoustics to the instruments or voices versus being there and experiencing the show in the hall. I think I will go for Linda when it comes to the evidence.
Actually, it is not necessarily one or the other. From personal experience, I have attended a number of concerts that I thought very highly of at the time, where I had a very pleasant experience and retained fond memories for years to come -- and then after hearing recorded audio of the same concerts, I was surprised at how different the firsthand impression was compared to the recorded performance. There is less objectivity and less to scrutinize in the moment than there is after the fact when reviewing the same performance with fresh ears. I am sure anyone who attended these late-December 1976 concerts in question were thrilled with the experience; they contained respectable and charismatic performances by Elvis, and had the excitement of an Elvis event (a close friend's father thoroughly enjoyed the Omaha 6/19/77 concert, yet the general consensus is that it is one of the worst concerts Elvis ever performed). However, upon further review from the recorded evidence available, there are a number of deficiencies that likely were not as evident during these concerts. So, what has more weight; 1) a decades-old, firsthand memory, or 2) preserved audio recordings? Both are relevant and contribute to the historical record, but I tend to lean towards the audio recordings as being more compelling and convincing.

Topic author
stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by stevelecher »

I've got my great appreciation for the Birmingham show based first on the famous videotape that showed about 45 minutes of the concert filmed by fans in the arena. I was told if I ever heard this from a more professional source, surely more flaws in Elvis' singing would be revealed. Then, miraculously, Burning In Birmingham comes out and, if anything, it cements my belief that this is a special show, with Elvis in better voice than he had been in a long time.

Linda is very fortunate to have been at this concert and then to have gotten a nice soundboard as a souvenir from the show. I'm sure she didn't listen to it and think her memories of a great show were faulty.

Mr. Songman

Post by Mr. Songman »

midnightx wrote:
Wiebe wrote:Audio recording on a cassette tape with a dodgy mix and no acoustics to the instruments or voices versus being there and experiencing the show in the hall. I think I will go for Linda when it comes to the evidence.
Actually, it is not necessarily one or the other. From personal experience, I have attended a number of concerts that I thought very highly of at the time, where I had a very pleasant experience and retained fond memories for years to come -- and then after hearing recorded audio of the same concerts, I was surprised at how different the firsthand impression was compared to the recorded performance. There is less objectivity and less to scrutinize in the moment than there is after the fact when reviewing the same performance with fresh ears. I am sure anyone who attended these late-December 1976 concerts in question were thrilled with the experience; they contained respectable and charismatic performances by Elvis, and had the excitement of an Elvis event (a close friend's father thoroughly enjoyed the Omaha 6/19/77 concert, yet the general consensus is that it is one of the worst concerts Elvis ever performed). However, upon further review from the recorded evidence available, there are a number of deficiencies that likely were not as evident during these concerts. So, what has more weight; 1) a decades-old, firsthand memory, or 2) preserved audio recordings? Both are relevant and contribute to the historical record, but I tend to lean towards the audio recordings as being more compelling and convincing.
Excellent & Very Understandable! :smt023

drjohncarpenter

Mr. Songman wrote:I fully agree, but I have no respect for someone calling out another individual trying to defend or assist against unwarranted contemptuous & humiliating treatment from other members....

Many wish they could have experienced what you have fond memories of, and the comments I saw - were in no way asking for demeaning replies.

~Hawk
You may be overreacting just a tad.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Rich_TCB
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Rich_TCB »

Thanks for posting that video, Linda.

I only watched a few of the performances, but I enjoyed it. Now I know what Elvis was talking about when he said "What the hell is this?" while performing Fairytale. Indeed, what the hell was that?

It was nice to actually see the performance of "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face".

ImageImageImage

Mr. Songman

Post by Mr. Songman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mr. Songman wrote:I fully agree, but I have no respect for someone calling out another individual trying to defend or assist against unwarranted contemptuous & humiliating treatment from other members....

~Hawk
You may be overreacting just a tad.
Only in your view...

Rob
GodFather of FECC
Registered for: 8 years

Post by Rob »

A couple of days ago, I gave this show a listen. While I agree it would have been amazing to have been there (jealous of Linda), it is not one of my favorites to listen to. There are some fine moments in the show. I love "Hurt" and "Unchained Melody." I would have loved to have seen Elvis falling to the floor during the former.

However, Elvis is over performing on many songs here. He is talking a mile-a-minute and gets tongue-tied on several occasions because he is talking so fast. Yes, he has a very high energy level during this show, for I'm sure at least two reasons, one of which I will not discuss. The other, he has a pretty young girl by the name of Ginger in the audience that he is obviously trying to impress. You can clearly see that is the case as he tells her to "Stay 'til the very end" during his closing number. He wants her to see the karate demonstration that he puts on before he leaves the stage. I also do not like the way he addresses the crowd before going into the closer. He simply goes into the song with an "Adios, Mother!" Really?

I like the Atlanta show from the next night more than this one and Pittsburgh was the best of the short tour.

Again, to witness this show must have been great. Listening to it, at least buy this fan, isn't all that great.

The United States of America have had
forty-six Presidents, but only ONE King!

Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.
You're a beautiful audience.

drjohncarpenter

Rob wrote:A couple of days ago, I gave this show a listen. While I agree it would have been amazing to have been there (jealous of Linda), it is not one of my favorites to listen to. There are some fine moments in the show. I love "Hurt" and "Unchained Melody." I would have loved to have seen Elvis falling to the floor during the former.

However, Elvis is over performing on many songs here. He is talking a mile-a-minute and gets tongue-tied on several occasions because he is talking so fast. Yes, he has a very high energy level during this show, for I'm sure at least two reasons, one of which I will not discuss. The other, he has a pretty young girl by the name of Ginger in the audience that he is obviously trying to impress. You can clearly see that is the case as he tells her to "Stay 'til the very end" during his closing number. He wants her to see the karate demonstration that he puts on before he leaves the stage. I also do not like the way he addresses the crowd before going into the closer. He simply goes into the song with an "Adios, Mother!" Really?

I like the Atlanta show from the next night more than this one and Pittsburgh was the best of the short tour.

Again, to witness this show must have been great. Listening to it, at least by this fan, isn't all that great.
Careful, some might read this as a demeaning reply. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

steve in SC
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by steve in SC »

I will vouch for Linda in that this was a very good show and the audience response was over the top. I was very high up on the side and am jealous of Linda's front row seat LOL. A friend of mine was there and it remains one of his favorites also.
Rock on Linda!! :smt006

Mr. Songman

Post by Mr. Songman »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:A couple of days ago, I gave this show a listen. While I agree it would have been amazing to have been there (jealous of Linda), it is not one of my favorites to listen to. There are some fine moments in the show. I love "Hurt" and "Unchained Melody." I would have loved to have seen Elvis falling to the floor during the former.

Again, to witness this show must have been great. Listening to it, at least by this fan, isn't all that great.

Careful, some might read this as a demeaning reply. ;-)

Not at all - it was an honest - well spoken reply... Not at all childish :smt006

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Again, to witness this show must have been great. Listening to it, at least buy this fan, isn't all that great.
It mirrors my thoughts on this entire tour (or the shows that I have heard from it, at least). It's great to hear Elvis engaged but, alas, it's not a "natural" enthusiasm. He DOES over-perform, and his comments and actions at times are not what you expect from someone in control. I know that brings us back to the D word again, but anyone who thinks Elvis was just in a good mood for the sake of it at this time is just deluding themselves sadly.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Wiebe wrote:Midnightx, i appreciate your reply and I appreciate your status as someone that saw the real thing. I just hope you won't let the sound board recordings ruin your good memories, because they are not a realistic representation of what he sounded like, at least that's what the Bruce Jackson said. I also think that Elvis was a bit too hyper in Birmingham and appreciate the Atlanta and Pittsburgh show more. I think Atlanta was the best vocally.
To be clear, I never saw Elvis in concert.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

The Pittsburgh 1976 show was epic if they had filmed it for the Elvis in Concert special it would have broke the nielsen ratings system and gotten Elvis an emmy nomination.

Mr. Songman

Post by Mr. Songman »

brian wrote:The Pittsburgh 1976 show was epic if they had filmed it for the Elvis in Concert special it would have broke the nielsen ratings system and gotten Elvis an emmy nomination.

:smt005

I Know For A Fact - I want some of whatever you're drinking 8)

Mine isn't THAT good :mrgreen:

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

brian wrote:The Pittsburgh 1976 show was epic if they had filmed it for the Elvis in Concert special it would have broke the nielsen ratings system and gotten Elvis an emmy nomination.
In all seriousness, if CBS would have documented the NYE show there would be one major difference.
It wouldn't be locked up out of shame and banned for official release.
We would probably have it on official dvd for years and with a few clever edits people would probably agree Elvis could still pull off a great show, with health issues known.
The CBS special that is haunting us forever is such a poor watching experience compared to that special night in Pittsburgh.
Furthermore I agree Atlanta was the best show of the tour, hands down.

** edit, I just see the official Elvis facebook page, reaching 13.5M(!) people, posted a Pittsburgh anniversary message with a picture included, hence my point above. Check it out including all the comments of fans who were there!

https://www.facebook.com/elvis/posts/10154881935123792:0

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Robert wrote:
In all seriousness, if CBS would have documented the NYE show there would be one major difference.
It wouldn't be locked up out of shame and banned for official release.
We would probably have it on official dvd for years and with a few clever edits people would probably agree Elvis could still pull off a great show, with health issues known.
The CBS special that is haunting us forever is such a poor watching experience compared to that special night in Pittsburgh.
Furthermore I agree Atlanta was the best show of the tour, hands down.
I don't think so. It would have depended on how much better Elvis looked that night. If he still looked pretty fat it wouldn't have made any difference. The general public's perception and the causual Elvis' fans perception of Elvis Presley was different than the die hard fans. We might single out individual performances from 76 and praise them for being very good but to the general public or the casual fans it's still just Fat Elvis on stage in 1976. I know EPE wouldn't release the CBS special in part because they were afraid it would start bringing up the Fat Elvis stuff again in the media.