a fan of 1977 ELVIS the shows and albums

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
milewingrin

a fan of 1977 ELVIS the shows and albums

Post by milewingrin »

i really like the way ELVIS voice in later years sounded . It is a true joy to listen and in most cases watch his concert films be it bootlegs , live shows , outakes etc, I don't understand why so many critics and fans dismiss 1977 as an abysmal year and part of his career , there are some really great performances , and of course
that voice really shines incredibly on some really excellent versions of tracks like TRYING TO GET TO YOU , HURT, REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW , SUCH A NIGHT
MOUNTAIN. I feel ELVIS voice was really strong at times and the tone and bravado just incredible it's nice to hear him do live versions of BRIDGE ... a bit weak in some parts but amazing ending as was his great version of IF YOU LOVE ME ... in rapid city . For me there is much joy in listening and watching the GREATNESS that was ELVIS in 1977 i still think he was great till the end !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jessewade
Banned
Banned

Re: a fan of 1977 ELVIS the shows and albums

Post by jessewade »

As we say here "tu donnes le fouet pour te faire battre"
:mrgreen:

MEMBER BANNED FOREVER FOR MAKING RACIST/ANTISEMETIC ATTACKS AGAINST ANOTHER MEMBER.

Mister Mike

Post by Mister Mike »

face in palm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Elvis fan. From Sun to Sundial.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

I'm glad you get such joy out of what most would agree is one of the lowest points in Elvis' live career, in every respect. For me, 1977 live is usually something I pay attention to for academic reasons. For on stage excitement, I'd rather hear him at his best.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

emjel

Post by emjel »

milewingrin wrote:i really like the way ELVIS voice in later years sounded . It is a true joy to listen and in most cases watch his concert films be it bootlegs , live shows , outakes etc, I don't understand why so many critics and fans dismiss 1977 as an abysmal year and part of his career , there are some really great performances , and of course
that voice really shines incredibly on some really excellent versions of tracks like TRYING TO GET TO YOU , HURT, REALLY DON'T WANT TO KNOW , SUCH A NIGHT
MOUNTAIN. I feel ELVIS voice was really strong at times and the tone and bravado just incredible it's nice to hear him do live versions of BRIDGE ... a bit weak in some parts but amazing ending as was his great version of IF YOU LOVE ME ... in rapid city . For me there is much joy in listening and watching the GREATNESS that was ELVIS in 1977 i still think he was great till the end !
yes clearly you don't understand. You don't understand how truly great Elvis was up to 1970 when things started to go down hill until the end. If you really think there can be joy in watching Elvis in '77, such as In Concert, that in itself is worrying.

~
Living is easy with eyes closed...misunderstanding all you see...

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

A song from "King Creole" comes to mind.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

milewingrin wrote:i really like the way ELVIS voice in later years sounded . It is a true joy to listen and in most cases watch his concert films be it bootlegs , live shows , outakes etc, I don't understand why so many critics and fans dismiss 1977 as an abysmal year and part of his career , there are some really great performances , and of course
Take a look; you might find the answer.

Topic author
fragance

Post by fragance »

Glad to know another fan i thought I was the only one enjoying Elvis 1977 Voice on this forum !!! - Back in 1977 I had more than 20 years of Elvis songs to cach up so when i listened to That's all right Mama 1954 , Hurt and How Great Thou Art 1977 versions for the first time, my young 16 year old ears couldn't believe it, that's when I fell in love with his wonderful voice
Last edited by fragance on Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

I too think there were some really fine
moments in 1977....absolutely. .

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

TINML

Post by TINML »

"My way" and "I really don't want to know" from the CBS tapes are songs I'd consider worthy. I could do without the rest.

That being said, you're free to like and enjoy whatever you want, I'm nobody to lecture or criticize you.

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

elvislady1964

Post by elvislady1964 »

The fact he was even able to stand on stage in 1977 was amazing, let alone sing, i enjoyed a few of the songs from his last show.

Welcome To My World!
https://www.youtube.com/user/elvislady
Do Something Worth Remembering...... Elvis Presley

Thank You
Jeanette

Topic author
TCBell

Post by TCBell »

Probably like a lot of fans at the time, I heard and enjoyed the Elvis In Concert LP before I saw the special on TV. I cherished the LP, as it was new material and Elvis had only recently passed away. It was sad to see how ill he was when the special was shown but today, I can still listen to the LP and enjoy it for the music.

kkn

Post by kkn »

I am also one who likes a lot of the stuff from 1977. But I am not saying that i am not aware of that he is not at his peak. sometimes it is horrible to listen to some concerts, but every once and again there still is som gold nuggets. I think it ispossible to enjoy these, and yet still be aware that it is not elvis at his best. But his voice and interpretationcould still impress rom time to time IMO

archdeak

Post by archdeak »

My opinion is different to yours, 1977 doesn't cut it for me. I prefer Elvis' voice from the 50's & 60's However, we all have choices and there's room for everyone. Hope you continue to enjoy 1977 with the same passion.

escapeguy

Post by escapeguy »

Man, I dont mind if someone jumps on me for liking Elvis in 1977 in fact I LOVE ELVIS 1977 so many times I listened to the album moody blue, cassette, 8 track, record...loved that album,,,then Elvis In Concert, boy did that thing play out in my truck...

Not to be a bitch, but it's really weird to me how some on here seem to get a joy out of saying 1977 sucked, well maybe parts werent great but I will be dipped if I dont love 1977 Elvis,,,I can enjoy any of the concerts Ive heard. Gotta remember not every single moment in someones concert is sublime, not Sinatra, not Jones, not Springsteen, not Beatles,,,Its a human performance,,,hell, I can guarantee you not every moment in my show is sublime, but hey no one has yet to throw rotten vegetables at me LOL....

I get more comfort from Elvis Presley's voice than anything on earth except my daughter, Ive been with Elvis since I first heard him on the radio in 1972 and I went who was that? well, life changing moment,... so do I like the younger Elvis over the older Elvis, NOPE I love all Elvis,,,I knew my dad for 31 years before he died. guess what? I loved him for all 31 years, still do, was he always sublime? nope and I loved him.

I just wish the folks who put down Elvis on here would give it a rest,,,,this guy was and is so freaking great he changes lives to this day,,,,do you naysayers?

so, yeah I LOVE ELVIS 1977 ALWAYS WILL.

Master of Escape
Embracing Life by tempting Death...Michael Griffin lives to tell!
1 man. 2-Time winner of the World Magic Awards

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

I like from 1977: My Way, Trying To Get To You, Unchained Melody, Hurt, I Really Don't Want To know (short), If You love Me let Me Know.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Are You Lonesome Tonight is Elvis greatest late stage work. There he is free floating through space, stoned out of his mind, yet somehow still fighting. It is tragic yet inspiring. As for the rest, hearing anything from EIC reminds me of his distorted face and the sweat being patted off before he climbs the steps to the stage. Heartbreaking. Nothing to see or hear here-move along. 1977 Elvis is a man trapped by financial obligations performing because it was his only source of income who wanted little more than to stay in bed drifting in the euphoric haze of the medicines of his choice which no longer did the trick. What a sad part of his legacy to seize on. A period where overdubs and tricks were used to hide all his vocal defects, out breath singing and missed notes. Fan of Elvis 1977. Well serial killers have groupies too.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

fn2drive wrote:Are You Lonesome Tonight is Elvis greatest late stage work. There he is free floating through space, stoned out of his mind, yet somehow still fighting. It is tragic yet inspiring. As for the rest, hearing anything from EIC reminds me of his distorted face and the sweat being patted off before he climbs the steps to the stage. Heartbreaking. Nothing to see or hear here-move along. 1977 Elvis is a man trapped by financial obligations performing because it was his only source of income who wanted little more than to stay in bed drifting in the euphoric haze of the medicines of his choice which no longer did the trick. What a sad part of his legacy to seize on. A period where overdubs and tricks were used to hide all his vocal defects, out breath singing and missed notes. Fan of Elvis 1977. Well serial killers have groupies too.
Many rock groups in the 60's created music stoned out of their minds. I can appreciate their work even if they were screwed up. As for Elvis, I enjoyed the music and performances without seeing the 1977 broadcast years later. So what? He entertained and comparing that to enjoying serial killers (didn't Manson write a song for somebody? ) is plain exaggeration. But you know that already.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.

emjel

Post by emjel »

escapeguy wrote:Man, I dont mind if someone jumps on me for liking Elvis in 1977 in fact I LOVE ELVIS 1977 so many times I listened to the album moody blue, cassette, 8 track, record...loved that album,,,then Elvis In Concert, boy did that thing play out in my truck...

Not to be a bitch, but it's really weird to me how some on here seem to get a joy out of saying 1977 sucked, well maybe parts werent great but I will be dipped if I dont love 1977 Elvis,,,I can enjoy any of the concerts Ive heard. Gotta remember not every single moment in someones concert is sublime, not Sinatra, not Jones, not Springsteen, not Beatles,,,Its a human performance,,,hell, I can guarantee you not every moment in my show is sublime, but hey no one has yet to throw rotten vegetables at me LOL....

I get more comfort from Elvis Presley's voice than anything on earth except my daughter, Ive been with Elvis since I first heard him on the radio in 1972 and I went who was that? well, life changing moment,... so do I like the younger Elvis over the older Elvis, NOPE I love all Elvis,,,I knew my dad for 31 years before he died. guess what? I loved him for all 31 years, still do, was he always sublime? nope and I loved him.

I just wish the folks who put down Elvis on here would give it a rest,,,,this guy was and is so freaking great he changes lives to this day,,,,do you naysayers?

so, yeah I LOVE ELVIS 1977 ALWAYS WILL.
A fan from '72 - then really you're just a baby. Unless you are a first or second generation fan, i.e. one who became a fan in '56 or '60/62, then you have no idea as to the effect that Elvis had back then, and I suspect many fans from those times (and I'm one) simply wish that Elvis had not gone the way he went by the mid 70s. That's not to say we stopped being a fan in the 70s, but for me, (and I suspect others) I wanted the Elvis from the TTWII time and not someone who was in some ways, sleepwalking through live performances.

~

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

And I will add "That's All Right" was pretty good in 1977, and I loved the familiarity of his acoustic guitar playing with the original Sun record.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

Juan Luis wrote:And I will add "That's All Right" was pretty good in 1977, and I loved the familiarity of his acoustic guitar playing with the original Sun record.
I actually agree with you. This is the only truly noteworthy performance in the EIC mess and indeed a time machine. Perhaps it was a glimpse of what might have happened had he lived. I have always consoled myself with the notion after a few more arena gigs he would have revamped and sought inspiration from a simpler time. AYLT is pure pathos which is what i love about. Perhaps in these 2 tracks we have rock bottom and climbing up.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Topic author
milewingrin

Post by milewingrin »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I'm glad you get such joy out of what most would agree is one of the lowest points in Elvis' live career, in every respect. For me, 1977 live is usually something I pay attention to for academic reasons. For on stage excitement, I'd rather hear him at his best.
you misunderstand me , i do listen to ELVIS earlier recordings quite often even his movie soundtracks . My favorite pre 70's efforts and albums include POTLUCK , the BMG 50 's and 60's masters 5 cd sets and do find enjoyment in them as i do ELVIS in 1977 with that rich deep voice he had .

Topic author
milewingrin

Post by milewingrin »

fragance wrote:

i'm also glad to know and hear from another fan of 1977 or later ELVIS . There truly is a lot to enjoy with that incredible voice that only got better with age , and i also enjoy his last two studio albums and most of the songs he chose to record , The ELVIS in Concert album and versions of greats like REALLY DON'T WANNA KNOW is just pure joy to listen to his voice is just so...... POWERFULL and captivating .

emjel

Post by emjel »

milewingrin wrote:
fragance wrote:

i'm also glad to know and hear from another fan of 1977 or later ELVIS . There truly is a lot to enjoy with that incredible voice that only got better with age , and i also enjoy his last two studio albums and most of the songs he chose to record , The ELVIS in Concert album and versions of greats like REALLY DON'T WANNA KNOW is just pure joy to listen to his voice is just so...... POWERFULL and captivating .
How can you have a "later Elvis" than 1977. That aside, he still had an infectious smile.

~

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

escapeguy wrote:...but it's really weird to me how some on here seem to get a joy out of saying 1977 sucked
No such thing occurs.