More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
ponygirlup
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Elvis Presley BLVD - Las Vegas

Post by ponygirlup »

IT'S OFFICIAL.

The Viva Las Vegas club has wonderful news to announce. As of December 24, 2016 what was known as Riviera Boulevard is now Elvis Presley Way. { corrected to BLVD!!! }

Originally announced Feb 28 2016. Credit due to Mr Siegel, owner of Westgate, who began the process in April 2015.

The Riviera was fully imploded and destroyed in June. Nice that the street change didn't happen til the Riv was gone.

The sign was still Riviera Blvd the night before.

A mystery: the official documents said EP Blvd, somewhere it changed back to Way.

It is disappointing that there was no fanfare. :( Elvis deserves that.

But, let's rejoice!

What a great Christmas present to Las Vegas, Elvis fans and to the memory of Elvis Presley!

Sue L
president
Viva Las Vegas Club
EPwayWestgate1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ponygirlup on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TCB 4 E Viva Las Vegas! Viva Elvis!
http://www.vivalasvegasclub.com

moffringa
Registered for: 13 years 5 months

Re: Elvis Presley Way - Las Vegas

Post by moffringa »

Nice gesture. Thanks to mr. Siegel whois a Elvis fan i was told. Too bad the former International/Hilton hotel aka Westgate is now just a ghost from his own past in service.stature etc. (everything is very much dated compared to other hotels/resorts) And the Elvis experience with Martin couldn''t bring the real Elvis feeling back i heard.

Topic author
ponygirlup

Re: Elvis Presley BLVD - Las Vegas

Post by ponygirlup »

The hotel has done a lot of interior improvements and it looks very nice. When was your last visit? The Martin Fontaine show did not do well, so it closed after a few weeks. Since the hotel and EPE have an onging dispute over the closed exhibit, all of that Elvis experience is in limbo. Beyond that, the Westgate removed all Elvis signage and photos except what is inside the steak house. I strongly believe this is related to the dispute.

The statue remains, as always. I still have my memories when I walk into the place, having visited there many times since it opened in 1969. I am a long time resident, and I saw Elvis there 15 times. The showroom still looks fantastic, but I do miss the old seating. One can still tour the 30th floor, although yes, that has changed, too.

The hotel is not a museum, rather it has adapted and changed to keep up with modern Las Vegas in its on way. The Riviera is now gone. If it were not for Mr Siegel buying the former Hilton, that hotel would be gone instead. I prefer to look at my glass of water as half full. :) Elvis is still in the building.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/roadwarriorvoices/2016/12/21/expedia-names-most-demand-hotel-las-vegas/94583988/
Last edited by ponygirlup on Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Thanks a lot for your story.

PEP
Registered for: 21 years

Post by PEP »

This is Great News if true.

However, I am a little surprised nothing in the news about this either...plus the No fanfare.

EPE sounds like they were not supporting this at all either.

I wonder if that had anything to do with it....

I'm curious are those pictures photoshopped...by chance?

Anyone else from Las Vegas that may have pictures?

PEP 8)

moffringa

Post by moffringa »

ponygirlup wrote:............ I still have my memories when I walk into the place, having visited there many times since it opened in 1969. I am a long time resident, and I saw Elvis there 15 times. The showroom still looks fantastic, but I do miss the old seating. One can still tour the 30th floor, although yes, that has changed, too.

The hotel is not a museum, rather it has adapted and changed to keep up with modern Las Vegas in its on way. The Riviera is now gone. If it were not for Mr Siegel buying the former Hilton, that hotel would be gone instead. I prefer to look at my glass of water as half full. :) Elvis is still in the building.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/roadwarriorvoices/2016/12/21/expedia-names-most-demand-hotel-las-vegas/94583988/
Cherish your experiences cause there are not many of you left today. I myself saw Elvis as a teen in 1972 in The Garden voor de first time live and from that moment on i was a diehard fan and compared that to all other concerts i attended later on the years. Think of performances by KISS,Deep Purple, Live Aid,Rolling Stones, Black Sabbath,Michael Jackson, Lionel Ritchie,Neil Diamond,Bruce Springsteen etc etc. No one can equal what i saw as a teen. The aura the whole package. Well .maybe Michael Jackson as a performer a good 2nd.

promiseland
Registered for: 12 years 11 months

Post by promiseland »

ponygirlup wrote:IT'S OFFICIAL.

The Viva Las Vegas club has wonderful news to announce. As of December 24, 2016 what was known as Riviera Boulevard is now Elvis Presley Way.

Originally announced Feb 28 2016. Credit due to Mr Siegel, owner of Westgate, who began the process in April 2015.

The Riviera was fully imploded and destroyed in June. Nice that the street change didn't happen til the Riv was gone.

The sign was still Riviera Blvd the night before.

A mystery: the official documents said EP Blvd, somewhere it changed back to Way.

It is disappointing that there was no fanfare. :( Elvis deserves that.

But, let's rejoice!

What a great Christmas present to Las Vegas, Elvis fans and to the memory of Elvis Presley!

Sue L
president
Viva Las Vegas Club
EPwayWestgate1.jpg
Now that is damn cool! Something Elvis would be proud of - well deserved!

G.C.
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by G.C. »

The picture of the sign in this thread is different to a video I've seen. The video shows the sign instead of say Elvis Presley way it says Elvis Presley Blvd.

lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

Copy of Showroom73ret.jpg
Thought I"d post this pic of the stage/showroom like it was when I was there. I went to Vegas from 1971 through 1976. Not sure what year this pic is from. We sat in the third and fourth blue seats from the stage on the ramp. This picture was made around 8:30 a.m. the morning we were flying back to Atlanta. I opened the showroom door and walked down to the stage and made the picture. The lights were turned off in the showroom, but I was pleased with how the picture turned out. I've posted this before so a lot of you may have already seen it. Sorry!

Elvisly,

Linda
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elvis_king
Registered for: 21 years

Post by elvis_king »

Google Street View/maps says boulevard :smt117

moffringa

Post by moffringa »

lovin' EP wrote:
Thought I"d post this pic of the stage/showroom like it was when I was there. I went to Vegas from 1971 through 1976. Not sure what year this pic is from. We sat in the third and fourth blue seats from the stage on the ramp. This picture was made around 8:30 a.m. the morning we were flying back to Atlanta. I opened the showroom door and walked down to the stage and made the picture. The lights were turned off in the showroom, but I was pleased with how the picture turned out. I've posted this before so a lot of you may have already seen it. Sorry!

Elvisly,

Linda
I never knew there was a ramp in the showroom of the then Vegas Hilton. I mean was it suited at the end of the stage of somewhere in the middle?
Nice picture and thanks for sharing it and...shooting it then.

LuckyJackson2

Post by LuckyJackson2 »

When the sign was first installed it said 'way' but has now been amended to 'blvd'
Great for Elvis :D

lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

moffringa wrote:
lovin' EP wrote:

Elvisly,

Linda
I never knew there was a ramp in the showroom of the then Vegas Hilton. I mean was it suited at the end of the stage of somewhere in the middle?
Nice picture and thanks for sharing it and...shooting it then.

It was right in the middle of the stage in front of Elvis' microphone. I believe they only had it in for one (maybe two) engagements as I think they decided it was too dangerous for Elvis to be out on the ramp. Sure were great seats. I got a scarf on "Fever" when he was out on the ramp. Glad you enjoyed the pic!

Elvisly,

Linda

It's a matter of Time
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by It's a matter of Time »

Linda,
Actually they removed the ramp because it was costing the showroom too much in tips that they were losing. I was friends with Emilio and Bill Jost the assistant Maitre d' who both told me that was the reason.. I certainly wasn't surprised though.

elvislady1964
Registered for: 11 years 2 months

Post by elvislady1964 »

lovin' EP wrote:

Elvisly,

Linda
Its beautiful, thanks for sharing linda.

Welcome To My World!
https://www.youtube.com/user/elvislady
Do Something Worth Remembering...... Elvis Presley

Thank You
Jeanette

elvislady1964

Post by elvislady1964 »

Looks good up there

Welcome To My World!

Thank You
Jeanette

Topic author
ponygirlup

Post by ponygirlup »

DSCN1683.JPG
I have been researching getting a piece of pavement named after Elvis since 2004. Learning that I could not rename a street or even a length of memorial highway, my club instead raised the money to install Elvis' star in the Las Vegas Walk of Stars in 2008. We have bricks at the Clark County Museum and the Flamingo garden area. We donated a poster of Sgt Presley to the airport's USO space. We've done all we can, because we could not name a street. I know the whole process of the Westgate applying for the street name change of Riviera to EP. It was approved in the spring of 2015. You can see the the whole process, even a video at the Clark County gov't site. I have been in contact with Mr Kulin, the PR rep for the county. All along the street was BLVD, but someone made a mistake with WAY. I asked Mr Kulin about it and he fixed it that day. So that's the reason behind the confusion. The picture I posted came from a member of my club. Here is a new photo taken by me, the night the BLVD sign went up.

ps- Thanks for the showroom picture. OMG, what a flashback. I saw Elvis 15 times 70-76 in there. The ramp did exist. It was left over from a big show by Don Ho and Elvis liked it, so it remained for his gig. It really added to the excitement of the show. I am sure the maitre's loved having more close access seats they could collect huge tips for. Like it was said, Elvis' moment of singing FEVER there was mind blowing. I will never forget it.

Should you want more information about Elvis in Las Vegas, please visit my club's website. When you visit, you can find much of Elvis here. But yes, updates take place here and change is constant. I have lived here since 1964. (think Viva Las Vegas movie) I have seen so much....

lovin' EP

Post by lovin' EP »

[quote="ponygirlup"]
DSCN1683.JPG
I have been researching getting a piece of pavement named after Elvis since 2004. Learning that I could not rename a street or even a length of memorial highway, my club instead raised the money to install Elvis' star in the Las Vegas Walk of Stars in 2008. We have bricks at the Clark County Museum and the Flamingo garden area. We donated a poster of Sgt Presley to the airport's USO space. We've done all we can, because we could not name a street. I know the whole process of the Westgate applying for the street name change of Riviera to EP. It was approved in the spring of 2015. You can see the the whole process, even a video at the Clark County gov't site. I have been in contact with Mr Kulin, the PR rep for the county. All along the street was BLVD, but someone made a mistake with WAY. I asked Mr Kulin about it and he fixed it that day. So that's the reason behind the confusion. The picture I posted came from a member of my club. Here is a new photo taken by me, the night the BLVD sign went up.

ps- Thanks for the showroom picture. OMG, what a flashback. I saw Elvis 15 times 70-76 in there. The ramp did exist. It was left over from a big show by Don Ho and Elvis liked it, so it remained for his gig. It really added to the excitement of the show. I am sure the maitre's loved having more close access seats they could collect huge tips for. Like it was said, Elvis' moment of singing FEVER there was mind blowing. I will never forget it.

WOW, thanks so much for your interesting story. Love your information about the ramp! It was truly amazing to sit on the ramp and watch Elvis.

Elvisly,

Linda

elvislady1964

Post by elvislady1964 »

ponygirlup wrote:
DSCN1683.JPG

Should you want more information about Elvis in Las Vegas, please visit my club's website. When you visit, you can find much of Elvis here. But yes, updates take place here and change is constant. I have lived here since 1964. (think Viva Las Vegas movie) I have seen so much....

Thank you for sharing this info, ponygirlup, and your lnk of the club, it looks like a great place to visit.

Welcome To My World!

Thank You
Jeanette

drghanem
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by drghanem »

"I´m limp as a rag, worn out when a show´s over". Elvis in Tacoma, fall 1957.
Long, Lonely Highway, by Ger Rijff (Tutti Frutti productions, 1985)

Topic author
ponygirlup

Post by ponygirlup »

As far as I recall, that was the only time the ramp was there.
I saw Elvis every time Feb 70-Dec 76. I only missed Aug 75.... and yes, Aug 69.