Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water"

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:08 pm

This 1964 "Cowboy Joe" Babcock composition was recorded by Elvis Presley on June 8, 1970 at Nashville's RCA Studio B. Felton Jarvis producing with Al Pachucki behind the console. Overdubs of the Norbert Putnam/David Briggs string and brass arrangement were done on July 20, 1970. Preliminary mixing and fadeout was done on that day as well.

Another one take wonder by Elvis fully rocking and committed along with the band! One can tell how much he is enjoying the track with his ad-libs, and even answering himself as if some type of backup singing arrangement is already in his head! Elvis changes from "jailer" to "judge". I like the dramatic effect of asking the "judge" though the former was correct. The original commercial release was by Stonewall Jackson. Elvis most probably heard Charlie Rich's version which was the B-side of the great 1965 hit "Mohair Sam". And Elvis also probably heard Johnny Rivers' version which was a 1966 Billboard Hot 100 #19 hit. According to David Neale, composer Joe Babcock's version was just a demo.

Kicks off with Charlie McCoy's harmonica to a great performances by Chip Young, James Burton and some Jerry Lee Lewis type piano by David Briggs. Great jam, and a highlight of "Elvis Country". For me the definitive version is by Elvis. "Whatcha doin' son?!" I love it!

I WASHED MY HANDS IN MUDDY WATER

Ernst Jorgensen from "A Life In Music".
Image20mb image hosting

Last edited by Juan Luis on Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Re: "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water"

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Another great song from Elvis and Felton. 70's Elvis is the best.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:57 pm

One of my fave songs....just perfect. Thanks for bringing it up. TOP !!

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:13 pm

One of my favorite Elvis tunes of all time. Never get tired of listening to it. U can hear how much Elvis is enjoying it too. Classic stuff. I wish the general public knew about this song. Would love to hear it on the radio. If u are ever out driving or on a road trip put this in and turn it up loud!! :D :D

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:16 pm

Fantastic, Love it !

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:19 pm

It's a "killer" this one! :smt023

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Thank you!

Here's the original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T7LgjcBWjY

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 pm

Terrific rocker, one of his best (almost-live) performance since the sit-down shows two years before.
The jam vibe fits here perfectly and Elvis' raucous voice reminds us of the already legendary 1969 Memphis sessions with Chips Moman.
Without a doubt a highlight from the Nashville marathon sessions.

I for one much prefer the unedited / uncut version as heard in 1998 "Essential Elvis volume 4: A hundred years from now".

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:45 pm

Rocker wrote:Thank you!

Here's the original:

I left that one out. I amended. Thank you and everyone so far for posting!

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:52 pm

It's your baby you rock it backed with I washed my hands in muddy water as the B-side probably would have been a better single than I really don't want to know/There goes my everything.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:00 pm

Here's the original:

That's a nice release, but Elvis found his love for the song in a cover version issued not long after.

At the legendary Beatles visit to the Presley home on August 27, 1965, the boys found that Elvis had mastered the distinctive bass line that ran through Charlie Rich's up-and-coming single, "Mohair Sam" (Smash 1993), noting that the singer was sitting on his couch, playing a Fender bass along with the song when they walked in.

They also recalled in an interview afterwards a song called "Muddy Water," which was very likely the flip side of that Rich 45, "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water." Obviously, Elvis was cueing up the B-side on his jukebox as well. So he liked it. A lot.

phpBB [media]

About five years later, Elvis cut his wonderfully furious version of "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water." Rich's influence was still felt, especially in the vocal. I wonder if Charlie, or anyone in the Beatles heard it?

Many other recordings of the song were done, including releases by the Spencer Davis Group, Billy Lee Riley, and even former buddy Johnny Rivers that predated the Presley version.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:51 pm

Cheiro wrote:70's Elvis is the best.

That's called baiting.

You just better watch yourself, Mister!

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:12 pm

Rob wrote:

That's called baiting.

He's a master at it.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Here's the original:

That's a nice release, but Elvis found his love for the song in a cover version issued not long after.

At the legendary Beatles visit to the Presley home on August 27, 1965, the boys found that Elvis had mastered the distinctive bass line that ran through Charlie Rich's up-and-coming single, "Mohair Sam" (Smash 1993), noting that the singer was sitting on his couch, playing a Fender bass along with the song when they walked in.

They also recalled in an interview afterwards a song called "Muddy Water," which was very likely the flip side of that Rich 45, "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water." Obviously, Elvis was cueing up the B-side on his jukebox as well. So he liked it. A lot.

phpBB [media]

About five years later, Elvis cut his wonderfully furious version of "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water." Rich's influence was still felt, especially in the vocal. I wonder if Charlie, or anyone in the Beatles heard it?

Many other recordings of the song were done, including releases by the Spencer Davis Group, Billy Lee Riley, and even former buddy Johnny Rivers that predated the Presley version.

"Coming along quite promising on bass, Elvis" - Macca

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:24 pm

...listening to the opening of the Charlie Rich version...sounds like this song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2fN36wq-zc

Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Love the song, belonging to my all-time favourite Elvis 70´s lp: Elvis Country and on a second place: Elvis-That´s The Way It Is! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:00 am

sweetangeline wrote:...listening to the opening of the Charlie Rich version...sounds like this song;

Both arrangements are based on 1950s-1960s Chicago blues, for example, the introduction to "Big Boss Man."

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:01 am

those are pretty high on my list too (TOP 5)...but I gotta go for FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS as first!! :wink: MERRY CHRISTMAS MIKE!!

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:...listening to the opening of the Charlie Rich version...sounds like this song;

Both arrangements are based on 1950s-1960s Chicago blues, for example, the introduction to "Big Boss Man."

oh yeah...forgot about that one...thanks Doc!!..and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:08 am

One of my favorite Elvis songs of all time. Thanks for all the other versions, never heard them before. Man, they're tame compared to Elvis' approach (or perhaps that should be attack 8) ) Wonderful to hear he's having so much fun. It's a shame this song isn't better known outside the Elvis world.

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:20 am

The original version of this song was produced by Leiber&Stoller in '64:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TPYmeSqLjc

Later on - in 1965 - the Beach Boys released an answer-song on their "Summer days (and summer nights !!)" album as opener:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL5j1xbIc6I

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:23 am

Another in those years was recorded on 20 july 1965 by Warner Mack for an album.

colonel snow

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

sweetangeline wrote:those are pretty high on my list too (TOP 5)...but I gotta go for FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS as first!! :wink: MERRY CHRISTMAS MIKE!!

Remember please that From Elvis In Memphis is a 60´s album :wink:, the same decade "Elvis Is Back!" was released.

From Elvis In Memphis. RCA Victor LSP-4155. Released on 6/17/1969.

If I have to choose one, I´ll stick to Elvis Is Back! :smt020. Nothing beats that early 60´s Nashville voice, IMO! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Elvis Is Back!. RCA Victor-LSP 2231. Released in 4/1960.

Merry Christmas to you too, "sweetangeline"

Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

That's called baiting.

He's a master at it.

Just expressing my opinion. I think we're still allowed to do that here. :D

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:44 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Love the song, belonging to my all-time favourite Elvis 70´s lp: Elvis Country and on a second place: Elvis-That´s The Way It Is! :smt020. Bye for now :smt006.

sorry Mike I missed that part...thought you were saying best Elvis LP of all-time :lol:

...with regards to the 60`s...I`d pick FROM ELVIS IN MEMPHIS 1st and then ELVIS IS BACK!! :wink: