"Home Is Where The Heart Is"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: "Home Is Where The Heart Is"

Post by Juan Luis »

Tony C wrote:I love the "Kid Galahad" EP, especially "Home Is Where The Heart Is". Thanks, Juan.
Your welcome. Thank you and everyone for posting!

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

elvis-fan wrote:Elvis had some real hidden gems in some of those early 60's movie soundtracks... this is definitely one of them!
Very well said. Both I Got Luck and Follow That Dream both shared this. As time passed there were fewer gems in the sountracks.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

stevelecher wrote:

Three very good songs in this film: this one, King Of The Whole Wide World, and I Got Lucky. The rest are junk which Elvis elevated with his marvelous interpretations.
I wouldn't call This Is Living junk. It's an ok pop-rocker.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Pete Dube wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

Three very good songs in this film: this one, King Of The Whole Wide World, and I Got Lucky. The rest are junk which Elvis elevated with his marvelous interpretations.
All 6 songs can be called ok pop-rockers. Ive always maintained the Elvis movies whose soundtrack is on EP are usually of a higher quality than the ones that were on an LP. Its hard to come up with 12-13 good quality songs, as Elvis once admitted

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

r&b wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

All 6 songs can be called ok pop-rockers. Ive always maintained the Elvis movies whose soundtrack is on EP are usually of a higher quality than the ones that were on an LP. Its hard to come up with 12-13 good quality songs, as Elvis once admitted
I agree. Most of the movie LPs, if reduced to 4 songs, would be more respectful to the artistry of Elvis. For example, "Spinout" consisting of 1. Spinout; 2. Am I Ready; 3. All That I Am; and 4. I'll Be Back. Another example, "Double Trouble" consisting of 1. Double Trouble; 2. Long Legged Girl (With The Short Dress On); 3. There is So Much World To See; and 4. Could I Fall In Love (preferably the undubbed version). Still another, "Roustabout" consisting of 1. Roustabout; 2. Little Egypt; 3. One Track Heart; and Wheels On My Heels.

MT

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

r&b wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

King Of The Whole Wide World is more than just ok. It's a very good pop rocker.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Pete Dube wrote:
r&b wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:
stevelecher wrote:

King Of The Whole Wide World is more than just ok. It's a very good pop rocker.
Yes I was kind of generalizing the EP as a whole. On its own, it may have been a smash A side . it was certainly harder edged than anything else he recorded in 1962, and maybe until Hi-Heel Sneakers. Fabulous vocal, fabulous sax. Totally wasted in the movie in that opening scene on the truck with the awful overdubs. Took the guts right out of the song and no one noticed how great it was unless you bought the EP. This song as the A and Home as the B would have made the perfect single in 62, much better than Good Luck Charm and Shes Not You IMO. It was pressed as a promo single for DJs

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

100% agree with you. What a ridiculous scene in the movie for this great song. The edge of Elvis Rock and Roll songs was present in this tune.

moffringa

Post by moffringa »

jurasic1968 wrote:I Got Lucky is not a good song, in my opinion. Far from it.

Really? Under wich stone have you been?

Great song!

jurasic1968

Post by jurasic1968 »

Well, for me King of The Whole Wide World is the best song from the movie. Second: Home is Where the Heart is.

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

jurasic1968 wrote:Well, for me King of The Whole Wide World is the best song from the movie. Second: Home is Where the Heart is.
RCA may have agreed with you. They released a two track 45 rpm to promote the title track and the movie of these two songs. SP45-118. The used the truncated versions of both songs. I can live with the shorter version of "King of the Whole Wide World," but my "go to" source for "Home Is Where The Heart Is" is the Time-Life version which was not truncated. The truncated version of "Home Is Where The Heart Is" is 1:50, whereas the full version is 2:35. Here is the Time-Life version: http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/jZOBcsJN/file.html

MT

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

Wait a minute. The full version isn't on the FTD release?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ImageImageImage

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

Rich_TCB wrote:Wait a minute. The full version isn't on the FTD release?

Your are correct, Rich. The full version is on the FTD "Kid Galahad" release, track 25. It is also on the Double Features "Kid Galahad/Girls! Girls! Girls!" release, track 4. I still prefer the Time-Life release mastered by Dennis Drake ("Movie Magic" 07863-69404-2, track 10).

MT
Last edited by MysteryTrain on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rich_TCB

Post by Rich_TCB »

Thank you sir!

I will have to play that track. I honestly don't remember hearing the full version.

ImageImageImage

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

Don't like it. Never did.
Boring one.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

MysteryTrain wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:Wait a minute. The full version isn't on the FTD release?

Your are correct, Rich. The full version is on the FTD "Kid Galahad" release, track 25. It is also on the Double Features "Kid Galahad/Girls! Girls! Girls!" release, track 4. I still prefer the Time-Life release mastered by Dennis Drake ("Movie Magic" 07863-69404-2, track 10).

MT
Excellent work by him on Time-Life.

Lennart

Post by Lennart »

Nice song and Elvis sings like a bird, what a voice!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Greystoke wrote:Home is Where the Heart Is is such a lovely song. One that Elvis sings beautifully, with a comforting, mellifluous quality that was very much a hallmark of his singing in the early-sixties.

Lyrically, the song is slight and doesn't give him a great deal to work with, but there's charm in abundance here. And that's the making of a song that worked just fine in the movie. No more. No less. I like it very much. It's one of Elvis`s most soothing recordings. Even if those bass notes aren't quite in his comfort zone.
Thank you. I thought it was really nice about how the heart was intertwined with home, based on a proverb.