Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Re: Billboard Awards - 1977

Post by Robert »

brian wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Concerts West booked both artists. One can imagine the frustration those folks felt, as each year passed with Elvis confined to US venues.
I don't know that they cared that much. I don't think Jerry Weintraub even addressed that in his book.
Concerts West probably made more money with Elvis than any other artist so I guess they were OK..

Robert

Post by Robert »

Greystoke wrote:
brian wrote:
midnightx wrote: Maybe do the occasional stadium tour, typically in major markets, after a couple of years off the road (if CSNY could play roughly 30 stadiums in the U.S. in '74 and gross over $11 million, certainly a similar model for Elvis was viable if not for so much touring saturation -- less work over time, more money). Then do the same thing with international markets and attempt to tie-in the release of product with those tours. Then attempt to repeat the cycle every year or two. Perhaps do a film project in between recording projects.
Damn is that right a tour grossing 11 million dollars in 1974. Yes, Elvis should have done a stadium tour around the U.S.
The tour grossed $11 million but Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young saw less than $500,000 each. Elvis was making more from his smaller tours across the country. Bearing in mind that other acts featured on the bill alongside Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Such as The Beach Boys, Joe Walsh, The Band and Joni Mitchell.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young`s 1974 tour was very impressive and groundbreaking in many ways. But this wasn't a series of concerts that proved lucrative for them. Performances and popularity aside. And appreciating the fact that expenses are present for every entertainer.

I'm not saying that Elvis was in a better position given the way he was managed and how his tours were arranged. We know that touring and performing so frequently in Las Vegas was doing him no favours by 1974. But with regards to making money, two weeks on the road could put a million dollars in his pocket. And whilst he was sharing with Parker, he wasn't sharing with other acts on the bill.

This considered, I do think occasional tours with greater focus on major markets and key engagements, plus select stadium shows and seasons in Las Vegas would have been better for Elvis in every respect. I'm also of the opinion that his earning-potential wasn't fully-realised in many ways, both professionally and personally. In Hollywood, certainly. But not with regards to concerts, touring and performing in Las Vegas. Because we know that other acts often grossed and earned more money for less work. And greater satisfaction, no doubt.
Great insights!
One thing on stadium concerts.. keep in mind Elvis didn't like them at all.
Sound challenges, no contact with his audience etc.
I'm sure he hated the thought even more after the Silverdome show.

They were working on a 1977 New Orleans Superdome gig though.
Wonder if Elvis would have agreed.
Went to that stadium last year, such an impressive building.
In improved shape, Elvis could have pulled it off!

moffringa
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Post by moffringa »

drjohncarpenter wrote: Even if you do like "This Is Our Dance" far more than me. ;-)
:D What is wrong with the song "This is our dance?" A very nice song on the Love Letters album, I would be worried if someone would appreciate a song like:

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Greystoke wrote:The tour grossed $11 million but Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young saw less than $500,000 each. Elvis was making more from his smaller tours across the country. Bearing in mind that other acts featured on the bill alongside Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Such as The Beach Boys, Joe Walsh, The Band and Joni Mitchell.

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young`s 1974 tour was very impressive and groundbreaking in many ways. But this wasn't a series of concerts that proved lucrative for them. Performances and popularity aside. And appreciating the fact that expenses are present for every entertainer.
That sounded to good to be true. However if Elvis had done a stadium tour he would have been by himself without other acts. A shame he never did one because he could have made a lot of money. It could have also been the highest grossing U.S. tour of all time up until that point. Elvis is on all these lists for highest grossing arena shows it would have been nice if he had took a shot at stadiums. That looks like another failure on Parker's part to help Elvis make the most money possible.

Robert

Post by Robert »

brian wrote:That looks like another failure on Parker's part to help Elvis make the most money possible.
Elvis had no interest in doing stadium concerts so a tour was never considered.
We can't blame Parker for everything..

brian
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by brian »

Robert wrote:Elvis had no interest in doing stadium concerts so a tour was never considered.
We can't blame Parker for everything..
You don't know that he had no interest. If Parker had booked a stadium tour Elvis would have done it.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 7 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Absolutely. The Astrodome comes to mind. He obviously played in Pontiac only for the money, because he needed the cash.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by drjohncarpenter »

moffringa wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Even if you do like "This Is Our Dance" far more than me. ;-)
:D What is wrong with the song "This is our dance?" A very nice song on the Love Letters album, I would be worried if someone would appreciate a song like:

Simply put, the material by British tunesmiths Les Reed and Geoff Stephens was not appropriate for Elvis Presley. It would never have made the cut at American Sound in 1969.

Elvis' standards should have been much higher than taping what was essentially an MOR rewrite of "The Last Waltz" (Parrot 40019, September 9, 1967), a top ten adult contemporary hit by Engelbert Humperdinck three years earlier.

"The Last Waltz" made #1 in the U.K., which was no surprise.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
moffringa wrote:

Simply put, the material by British tunesmiths Les Reed and Geoff Stephens was not appropriate for Elvis Presley. It would never have made the cut at American Sound in 1969.

Elvis' standards should have been much higher than taping what was essentially an MOR rewrite of "The Last Waltz" (Parrot 40019, September 9, 1967), a top ten adult contemporary hit by Engelbert Humperdinck three years earlier.

"The Last Waltz" made #1 in the U.K., which was no surprise.
There seems to be a continuing myth that there was veto power at American. There wasn't, other than Elvis's. Elvis controlled the sessions. Had Elvis set his sights on a similar song such as "This Is Our Dance", it would have been recorded as others were. It is part of the record. Elvis recorded what he wanted even "crap". Other than that, Elvis was at tip-top shape, with a good set of musicians, and a great production team.