Billboard Awards - 1977

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Juan Luis

Re: Billboard Awards - 1977

Post by Juan Luis »

Elvis came to South Florida in 1977 partly because of a petition in 1975-76, right before (EOT or TTWII) was broadcast on the local (Miami) TV channel. There was a banner shown on the TV screen about how it had been too long since Elvis came to town etc.. wow, just recalled that now after reading Robert's post!

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

Lonely Summer wrote:It would have been good for Elvis to take a year off between tours. For example: Bob Dylan's 1974 tour was his first since 1966; not quite as long a break as Elvis had before his return to the stage in 1969, but he certainly paced himself more cautiously than Elvis. After the Jan/Feb 74 tour with The Band, he was not on the road again until Fall 1975 with the Rolling Thunder Revue. That continued into spring 1976, then a long break until Feb 1978 when he began a world tour that took him to the end of the year. And then another good break until November 1979 when he began his gospel shows. Of course, as noted, it would have done Elvis good to get out of the US. No argument there. And Vegas was a dead end, should have stopped playing there long before he did.
Totally agree. The US touring job was done after the intense and successful 1974 touring year. (October being a major sign for change needed)
In the 70's they made the same mistake as the mid 60's movie planning: easy money but no career building vision in any form.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

A simetrical unhappiness for Elvis.

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 2 months

Post by elvisjock »

Lonely Summer wrote:It would have been good for Elvis to take a year off between tours. For example: Bob Dylan's 1974 tour was his first since 1966; not quite as long a break as Elvis had before his return to the stage in 1969, but he certainly paced himself more cautiously than Elvis. After the Jan/Feb 74 tour with The Band, he was not on the road again until Fall 1975 with the Rolling Thunder Revue. That continued into spring 1976, then a long break until Feb 1978 when he began a world tour that took him to the end of the year. And then another good break until November 1979 when he began his gospel shows. Of course, as noted, it would have done Elvis good to get out of the US. No argument there. And Vegas was a dead end, should have stopped playing there long before he did.
He'd boxed himself into a corner. Coming off the road wasn't an option, because he desperately needed the money.

Have a look at the upcoming auction items. Elvis bought a $10,000 piece from his Beverly Hills jeweler in the fall of 1974. They had to chase Vernon all the way to year-end to get paid. Jerry Hopkins revealed Elvis' cash flow details for that year. As always, he chose to take no tax deductions. As always, he bought expensive gifts for family, friends and sometimes strangers. As always, he was charitable.

When Vernon landed in Baptist Hospital in early 1975, he laid a huge guilt trip on Elvis, essentially blaming his heart attack on stress caused by his son. "You worried your Mama down into the grave, and now you're doing it to me."

By April, Elvis was in the process of buying the Convair 880. Vernon's lucky he didn't have a relapse on the spot.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Sorry, but Vernon was not right.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

elvisjock wrote:He'd boxed himself into a corner. Coming off the road wasn't an option, because he desperately needed the money.
Perhaps if he had taken a year off from touring he could have filmed a movie or two.
Last edited by brian on Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert

Post by Robert »

Lonely Summer wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
He'd boxed himself into a corner. Coming off the road wasn't an option, because he desperately needed the money.

Have a look at the upcoming auction items. Elvis bought a $10,000 piece from his Beverly Hills jeweler in the fall of 1974. They had to chase Vernon all the way to year-end to get paid. Jerry Hopkins revealed Elvis' cash flow details for that year. As always, he chose to take no tax deductions. As always, he bought expensive gifts for family, friends and sometimes strangers. As always, he was charitable.

When Vernon landed in Baptist Hospital in early 1975, he laid a huge guilt trip on Elvis, essentially blaming his heart attack on stress caused by his son. "You worried your Mama down into the grave, and now you're doing it to me."

By April, Elvis was in the process of buying the Convair 880. Vernon's lucky he didn't have a relapse on the spot.
I can easily criticize Elvis for his spending, but at the same time I admire certain things about him - like not taking any tax deductions. I wish more of our millionaire class had that attitude (I speak as one of the working poor). His generosity - I dreamed as a little kid about one day being rich so I could give the way Elvis gave. but you're right, he did box himself into a corner.
What was the 70's tax rate anyway?
His spending may have been outrageous, his income was massive too.

While he didn't die with 100M on the bank, he still had a few M worth of assets.
That's not that bad given his total out of control spending behavior.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Robert wrote:What was the 70's tax rate anyway?

While he didn't die with 100M on the bank, he still had a few M worth of assets.
Elvis should have been completely set for life before he turned thirty.

Instead, he needed to hock Graceland in 1976 in order to pay bills. He needed to be on the road every single month that year to pay bills, despite being in desperate shape due to his health issues.

The mismanagement of an internationally successful record, TV and film star is inexcusable, and when Parker was prosecuted and convicted for this a few years after Presley's death, no one was surprised.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

vbgt
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by vbgt »

jurasic1968 wrote:Elvis in 1977 played concerts on tours for maximum 15 dollars (61 dollars in 2016). Not very expensive I believe.

You can't compare concert tickets from different eras as a legitimate way to compare acts. As others have said, the price of concert tickets has skyrocketed way past the rate of inflation. a $200 ticket to see a major act is not out of the question today, which would equal $50 in 1977 money. Nobody was routinely getting $50 a seat in 1977.
It's the same with the rate of pay for actors. Actors today get upwards of $20 million for a movie today.In Elvis' day he was one of, if not the highest paid at $1mil per movie. That would be about $8 mil today, still dwarfed by today's stars.

vbgt
Registered for: 16 years 4 months

Post by vbgt »

Robert wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

I can easily criticize Elvis for his spending, but at the same time I admire certain things about him - like not taking any tax deductions. I wish more of our millionaire class had that attitude (I speak as one of the working poor). His generosity - I dreamed as a little kid about one day being rich so I could give the way Elvis gave. but you're right, he did box himself into a corner.
In the 60's the top rate was as high as 90%! So anything he made after $1million, he paid 90% of it to the tax man. Hard to believe.

Robert

Post by Robert »

vbgt wrote:
In the 60's the top rate was as high as 90%! So anything he made after $1million, he paid 90% of it to the tax man. Hard to believe.
That's insane!

r&b

Post by r&b »

vbgt wrote:
Robert wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

In the 60's the top rate was as high as 90%!
So anything he made after $1million, he paid 90% of it to the tax man. Hard to believe.

Ive never heard this. Where did u come up with this? People would be fleeing the country if true. In fact I heard many British acts were coming to the USA to take up another residence because the tax rates in Britain were too high. Harrison even wrote the song Taxman because of them,

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

The top marginal income tax rates used to be very high. Once you crossed a certain threshold, Uncle Sam took almost all of it.

brian

Post by brian »

elvisjock wrote:The top marginal income tax rates used to be very high. Once you crossed a certain threshold, Uncle Sam took almost all of it.
Yeah but nobody paid that much.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Elvis should have been completely set for life before he turned thirty.

Instead, he needed to hock Graceland in 1976 in order to pay bills. He needed to be on the road every single month that year to pay bills, despite being in desperate shape due to his health issues.

The mismanagement of an internationally successful record, TV and film star is inexcusable, and when Parker was prosecuted and convicted for this a few years after Presley's death, no one was surprised.
Parker did not manage his personal income. It was a lot of money. Had Elvis tripled his income without Parker he would have tripled his spending as well. He was a bad spender. BTW.. What was Parker convicted of? Last time I heard he settled out of court after he counter sued the Estate.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

brian wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Elvis' contemporaries played the same arenas in the same markets, as we see on these old charts.
I thought it was good that he played all these secondary markets. People that live in Ann Arbor aren't able to drive to Detroit just to catch a concert. People that live in Abilene can't always drive all the way to Dallas to catch an Elvis show.
Ann Arbor to Detroit is probably not a good example. It's only 40 miles. Not very taxing on the vehicle or pocketbook.

Topic author
elvisjock

Post by elvisjock »

He played Detroit proper, though. And Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, St. Louis, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. That's 13 of the largest markets.

Then, you have your Long Beaches, Largos, Clevelands and Providences.

And, then, your Pine Bluffs and and Carbondales. All in 1976 and 1977. All when he was quite unwell, living in Holiday Inns and Hiltons, and eating bacon cheeseburgers and fries.

brian

Post by brian »

KHoots wrote:Ann Arbor to Detroit is probably not a good example. It's only 40 miles. Not very taxing on the vehicle or pocketbook.
Drive 40 miles every time you want to see a concert. please.

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:He played Detroit proper, though. And Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, St. Louis, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. That's 13 of the largest markets.

And, then, your Pine Bluffs and and Carbondales. All in 1976 and 1977. All when he was quite unwell, living in Holiday Inns and Hiltons, and eating bacon cheeseburgers and fries.
From page 1:
midnightx wrote:As in St. Petersburg, Montgomery, Savannah, Columbia, Johnson City, Amarillo, Norman, Abilene, Austin, Alexandria, Baton Rouge, Mobile, Macon, Greensboro, Toledo, Ann Arbor, Saginaw, Kalamazoo, Milwaukee, Green Bay, Duluth, Knoxville, Louisville, Providence, Augusta, Rochester, Binghamton, Springfield, Omaha, Lincoln, Rapid City, Sioux Falls, Des Moines, Madison.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Lonely Summer wrote:
brian wrote:
KHoots wrote:Ann Arbor to Detroit is probably not a good example. It's only 40 miles. Not very taxing on the vehicle or pocketbook.
No, not every time, just for the really big ones. It's not every day you get a chance to see Elvis Presley, hip swiveling man, king of rock and roll.
Yes in the 50's. Maybe then worth the drive. In 1976? No , or as one reviewer once stated, if he was playing in my neighbors backyard I wouldnt bother going.

Robert

Post by Robert »

elvisjock wrote:He played Detroit proper, though. And Chicago, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Houston, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, St. Louis, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Baltimore and Pittsburgh. That's 13 of the largest markets.

The same Pine Bluff where Metallica, KISS, Prince played?
No way!

And Carbondale, pretty sure Kanye West, Elton John, RHCP, Springsteen, Dylan, Tina Turner, Fleetwood Mac didn't have a clue where they were.

All these second tier cities were and are played by all artists.
With the difference that Elvis could only play the US.

Elvis ending up in these markets had nothing to do with his health decline.

drjohncarpenter

Robert wrote:

No way!

And Carbondale, pretty sure Kanye West, Elton John, RHCP, Springsteen, Dylan, Tina Turner, Fleetwood Mac didn't have a clue where they were.

You can believe that if that makes you feel better, but the historical record tells us another story.

For example, CBS-TV did not choose to videotape the Elvis show in Omaha, Nebraska (June 19, 1977) or Rapid City, South Dakota (June 21, 1977) on a whim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha,_Nebraska
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_City,_South_Dakota

They were selected in order to get the best crowd reaction to a performer in decline.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Robert

Post by Robert »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Robert wrote:

No way!

You can believe that if that makes you feel better, but the historical record tells us another story.

For example, CBS-TV did not choose to videotape the Elvis show in Omaha, Nebraska (June 19, 1977) or Rapid City, South Dakota (June 21, 1977) on a whim.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omaha,_Nebraska
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapid_City,_South_Dakota

They were selected in order to get the best crowd reaction to a performer in decline.
Heard that before and if true, who came up with that plan? The procucers right?
Omaha was played before so if you saw the, in my opinion truly great 74 show, the 77 gig was quite a shocker.
And next to that Elvis was always very well received in the bigger cities.

If you listen to the crowd in Chicago, with tons more excitement and energy than the dead meat audience in Rapid City.
To me just another mistake like the whole tain wreck special was.
They should at least have filmed the two closing shows. Bigger and better crowds, including 250 from Europe and Elvis usually did a bit better towards a tour end.

ICanHelp
Registered for: 10 years

Post by ICanHelp »

r&b wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
brian wrote:
No, not every time, just for the really big ones. It's not every day you get a chance to see Elvis Presley, hip swiveling man, king of rock and roll.
Yes in the 50's. Maybe then worth the drive. In 1976? No , or as one reviewer once stated, if he was playing in my neighbors backyard I wouldnt bother going.
Of course, if I recall correctly, you had tickets to Elvis's August 77 Uniondale show and were willing to make the 40 mile drive. The puzzlement continues. I, by the way, would have driven 400 miles to see any of the shows during Elvis' December 76 tour. You continue painting with too broad a brush.

r&b

Post by r&b »

ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:
brian wrote:
Of course, if I recall correctly, you had tickets to Elvis's August 77 Uniondale show and were willing to make the 40 mile drive. The puzzlement continues. I, by the way, would have driven 400 miles to see any of the shows during Elvis' December 76 tour. You continue painting with too broad a brush.
First of all, it was not 40 miles for me. Secondly, again I say to you and other who continue to bring this up, I was a different person back then, probably like a lot of you still are now, kind of blind to how bad Elvis had become. I enjoyed his show in 1975, and wanted to see him again. For me and many others, we were going to see a memory, or a part of our past. I certainly wasnt going to see Elvis on the strength of his current music. I was going to see a guy who meant a lot to me growing up. But to think a person, who today still refers to Elvis as the hip swiveling king of rock and roll in 1976, well we all know better than that. In fact if I had seen him in 1977, and he gave a show like he gave for EIC, I wouldnt bother ever again, despite what he meant to me growing up, yet there are others Im sure who would still travel many miles to see him no matter how much he continued to fall. In their minds he was still Elvis, only he was just a bad self-parody.