Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Juan Luis

Re: Billboard Awards - 1977

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:In 1973, Nassau Coliseum won the business. Simple as that. It was the new kid in town. Those shows, and the 1975 shows, received extensive media coverage. It was playing NYC without having to deal with NYC.

Not really. People from the tri-state area and even Pennsylvania could use mass transit (bus or RR) to go into NYC. No such thing available for the Nassau Col unless you lived in Long Island and could use their own RR. Otherwise you would have to drive like I did and that wasnt pleasant. It was the suburbs, not the city. If you ever drove to and from Long Island you know what I mean. Big difference not playing within NYC again. Huge!
Very good post, perspective is important when looking back on Elvis' life and career.

Also, was Nassau really the "new kid in town" in the summer of 1973? It opened in February 1972.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassau_Veterans_Memorial_Coliseum[/quot

Considering the content of the advertisement, they thought they'd "made it" when Elvis skipped MSG and played in their house.

In June 1973, there was no reason for Parker to try and "hide" Elvis in the suburbs. The changes in Elvis were subtle at that point. For that matter, in July 1975, there was no issue other than Elvis' weight. And Elvis rose to the occasion.
He may have put on a decent singing show at Nassau that July gig (despite the silly Amen routine and other things), but in 1975 there were many issues besides his weight. Reading Linda's book gave me a new insight of just how seriously things had gotten by then. He was barely able to function at times. He WAS hidden a bit by playing the suburbs by then there is no doubt about it.
Impossible. Thousands saw him anyhow, including the press.

r&b

Post by r&b »

Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:In 1973, Nassau Coliseum won the business. Simple as that. It was the new kid in town. Those shows, and the 1975 shows, received extensive media coverage. It was playing NYC without having to deal with NYC.

Not really. People from the tri-state area and even Pennsylvania could use mass transit (bus or RR) to go into NYC. No such thing available for the Nassau Col unless you lived in Long Island and could use their own RR. Otherwise you would have to drive like I did and that wasnt pleasant. It was the suburbs, not the city. If you ever drove to and from Long Island you know what I mean. Big difference not playing within NYC again. Huge!
Very good post, perspective is important when looking back on Elvis' life and career.

Also, was Nassau really the "new kid in town" in the summer of 1973? It opened in February 1972.

Considering the content of the advertisement, they thought they'd "made it" when Elvis skipped MSG and played in their house.

In June 1973, there was no reason for Parker to try and "hide" Elvis in the suburbs. The changes in Elvis were subtle at that point. For that matter, in July 1975, there was no issue other than Elvis' weight. And Elvis rose to the occasion.
He may have put on a decent singing show at Nassau that July gig (despite the silly Amen routine and other things), but in 1975 there were many issues besides his weight. Reading Linda's book gave me a new insight of just how seriously things had gotten by then. He was barely able to function at times. He WAS hidden a bit by playing the suburbs by then there is no doubt about it.
You dont know who was there do you? Im sure not the full NYC and NJ press who were out in force in 1972. They would have compared the 1972 Elvis and the 1975 version and would have not been kind despite him being in strong voice. His show was routine, never really changing from 1972 or the Vegas ones, and I dont mean just song lists. I mean the whole dynamic of it. He was no longer doing anything really that different, hadnt had a hit record in 3 years, and it was one tour after another in between Vegas gigs. It was not be the big deal of him coming to NYC like it was the first time in 1972. On page 159 of the great book The Concert Years, there are 2 reviews given of 2 different shows, one kind, one not so kind. If these shows were at MSG, there would have been more negative ones, certainly more negative than they were in 1972. Elvis fit the suburbs, plain and simple. Thats were his core base was now. Country music fans were mostly buying his records now and thats where they mostly lived. He could have been 300 pounds and they would still scream their head off.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

You dont know who was there do you? Im sure not the full NYC and NJ press who were out in force in 1972. They would have compared the 1972 Elvis and the 1975 version and would have not been kind despite him being in strong voice. His show was routine, never really changing from 1972 or the Vegas ones, and I dont mean just song lists. I mean the whole dynamic of it. He was no longer doing anything really that different, hadnt had a hit record in 3 years, and it was one tour after another in between Vegas gigs. It was not be the big deal of him coming to NYC like it was the first time in 1972. On page 159 of the great book The Concert Years, there are 2 reviews given of 2 different shows, one kind, one not so kind. If these shows were at MSG, there would have been more negative ones, certainly more negative than they were in 1972. Elvis fit the suburbs, plain and simple. Thats were his core base was now. Country music fans were mostly buying his records now and thats where they mostly lived. He could have been 300 pounds and they would still scream their head off.
A major event like that attracts all walks of life including press. One cannot hide with so many thousands attending.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:You dont know who was there do you? Im sure not the full NYC and NJ press who were out in force in 1972. They would have compared the 1972 Elvis and the 1975 version and would have not been kind despite him being in strong voice. His show was routine, never really changing from 1972 or the Vegas ones, and I dont mean just song lists. I mean the whole dynamic of it.
The New York City music press covered shows at the Nassau Coliseum just the same as MSG so Parker wasn't hiding Elvis by having him play there instead of MSG. Colonel Parker was cheaper than other managers and playing in New York City was more expensive than Nassau. That's it. New Yorkers went to long island to watch events at Nassau that's the main audience.

DEH

Post by DEH »

There was nothing wrong with playing The Nassau Coliseum. Other big names played there. Zeppelin played there in 1975 too. In fact Zeppelin played most of the same cities Elvis played. Zeppelin played Hampton Va, Charlotte, Norfolk. The Stones played a lot of the same cities too. people act liked Elvis was the only one playing these so called secondary markets. :roll:

r&b

Post by r&b »

DEH wrote:There was nothing wrong with playing The Nassau Coliseum. Other big names played there. Zeppelin played there in 1975 too. In fact Zeppelin played most of the same cities Elvis played. Zeppelin played Hampton Va, Charlotte, Norfolk. The Stones played a lot of the same cities too. people act liked Elvis was the only one playing these so called secondary markets. :roll:
Yes but they also continued playing NYC and other major cities as well. That is the whole point here! BTW, I never said there was anything wrong with playing Nassau, as other artists have as well. But it wasnt close to or never will be considered like playing MSG or in some other NYC venue like Radio City or Carnegie Hall. I saw the crowds at both MSG and Nassau. Believe me, there was a different vibe to them. For one thing, you drive out to the suburbs and there is this building surrounded by 5 huge parking lots. Just like New York City huh? Not even close. Im sure if Elvis played MSG again in MSG, it wouldnt have been the same significant event as playing NYC for the first time in his career in 1972, maybe not even given the huge media attention again, but its still different playing there then on Long Island.

ICanHelp
Registered for: 10 years

Post by ICanHelp »

r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

You continue to puzzle me r&B. While I also appreciate your first hand knowledge and experiences, they often seemed colored by a more recent reevaluation of Elvis' 1970s work. You often have told us you enjoyed Elvis' 1975 Uniondale concert more than his MSG shows. I suspect that if one of us spoke with you in 1975, you would have raved about the show. You, however, now characterize Elvis' Uniondale performance as "decent singing show." 20/20 hindsight usually results in a person remembering more fondly earlier events. You, however, appear to be moving in the opposite direction. Why do you no longer trust your first hand reaction to Elvis?

r&b

Post by r&b »

ICanHelp wrote:
r&b wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:

You continue to puzzle me r&B. While I also appreciate your first hand knowledge and experiences, they often seemed colored by a more recent reevaluation of Elvis' 1970s work. You often have told us you enjoyed Elvis' 1975 Uniondale concert more than his MSG shows. I suspect that if one of us spoke with you in 1975, you would have raved about the show. You, however, now characterize Elvis' Uniondale performance as "decent singing show." 20/20 hindsight usually results in a person remembering more fondly earlier events. You, however, appear to be moving in the opposite direction. Why do you no longer trust your first hand reaction to Elvis?
Not puzzling really. I have said many times I used to think everything Elvis did back in those days was great. I hate to use the term but yeah I was wearing those RCGs despite knowing in the back of my mind things could have been better and probably would never be as good again as 1969-70. As far as Nassau goes, yes I enjoyed the show more than MSG for basically this reason >> The set list was a bit better, and he stepped outside the norm when he sat at the piano for You'll Never Walk Alone. He should have done this a lot more often IMO. He looked awful in that unflattering suit which really showed his paunch more than usual(heard that around me as well), handed out too many scarves, the oldies were as rushed as fast as ever, and the dive bomb Amen routine had started, so things werent perfect but he did sing great when he wanted to. I think if in MSG in 1975, the reviews would not have been as good as before for reasons I have stated. The NYC press can be very harsh. I have come out of Springsteen concerts being wowed by renditions of Rosalita or Quarter To Three. I didnt come out of MSG wowed by any one performance but rather by overall the even itself. I came out of Nassau wowed by You'll Never Walk Alone. The event was now secondary. Its funny how one song can elevate a show. Thats why I hold it higher esteem, but basically it was his routine show with a bit more of an "elvis' set list which I enjoyed more. I really dont know how much better I can explain this. BTW, I thought the 1973 Nassau show was boring even back then, and I cant rememmber much about it all. I did not tape it for myself unfort.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

DEH wrote:There was nothing wrong with playing The Nassau Coliseum. Other big names played there. Zeppelin played there in 1975 too. In fact Zeppelin played most of the same cities Elvis played. Zeppelin played Hampton Va, Charlotte, Norfolk. The Stones played a lot of the same cities too. people act liked Elvis was the only one playing these so called secondary markets. :roll:
It has been proven time and time again that while bands like Led Zeppelin routed secondary markets into their touring itinerary, they did not heavily rely on such markets tour after tour, month after month, sometimes for multiple stands per city the way Elvis did. And in 1975 when Led Zeppelin play Nassau, they also played Madison Square Garden. There is no question that Tom Parker did not want to pay the additional fees associated with MSG, however, if a promoter wanted Elvis there, Parker certainly could have negotiated terms that called for the promoter to cover certain excessive costs. There were likely other considerations keeping Elvis out of NYC other than high venue rent and union fees. Nassau audiences were not predominately made up of NYC patrons expecting the very best; there was more of a suburban element in Nassau that may have been more forgiving for lesser quality entertainment (a major reason why Elvis continued to play secondary markets in such abundance as the 1970's progressed). And while the NYC area press certainly covered shows in Nassau, there was less press coverage than there was for major events at MSG, and such concerts received less general attention, which mattered to a manager conceivably attempting to shelter a deteriorating artist from scrutiny. That said, at the end of the day, if Tom Parker could have made more money at MSG, he would have likely played there regardless of Elvis' condition.

However, any attempts at trying to debunk the theory that the suburban/secondary market touring model was designed in part to shelter Elvis from excessive scrutiny by asserting Parker could not have had concerns of Elvis receiving negative scrutiny because he ultimately booked the CBS Elvis In Concert special, will be rejected because the circumstances changed by the end of 1976, which was clearly a very difficult year not only for Elvis, but also for management as it coped with a deteriorating, difficult, combative, uncommitted artist. Parker no longer cared by the end of 1976; it was all about extracting as much money out of an artist who he knew was going off the rails. The secondary markets did remain as predominate markets on Elvis' touring itineraries, not because of concerns over unsatisfactory press reviews, but because those markets again were generally more forgiving and accepting of lesser quality entertainment than the patrons in major markets were. The CBS Special would have blown the gates off, much like it did in October 1977 -- Elvis' legacy is still damaged to this very day because of that appalling television event. Had Elvis survived August 16, the secondary markets would have likely become that much more important moving forward.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Lonely Summer wrote: Hadn't had a hit record in 3 years? I guess you didn't turn on your radio during the time My Boy and Promised Land were on the charts.
Neither song made a significant impact on the charts, and as far as the former song goes, one expects many people turned the radio dial as quickly as possible once the song started, at least in the United States.

r&b

Post by r&b »

midnightx wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote: Hadn't had a hit record in 3 years? I guess you didn't turn on your radio during the time My Boy and Promised Land were on the charts.
Neither song made a significant impact on the charts, and as far as the former song goes, one expects many people turned the radio dial as quickly as possible once the song started, at least in the United States.
Correct, what I meant was a hit like Burning Love, top 10, always heard on the radio, My Boy and Promised Land were neither of those in the USA and that is where he toured. I dont recall anyone yelling out for either song at the 1975 show, but I did hear shouts for Burning Love, his last big hit.

Pete Dube
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Pete Dube »

To be fair to r&b, what he likely had in mind when he referred to Elvis not having a hit record in 3 years was a top 10 charting, million copy selling single. In other words, what was referred to at the time as a smash hit. While Separate Ways; Steamroller Blues; If You Talk In your Sleep; Promised Land and My Boy all hit the top 20 and as such can be legitimately - if somewhat generously - referred to as hits, they at best were moderate hits. Only Separate Ways hit the half million mark saleswise (although I personally believe SB may have come close). The others all sold less than 400,000 units.

brian

Post by brian »

Steamroller blues peaked at #10 on Cashbox.

r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:Steamroller blues peaked at #10 on Cashbox.
Yeah but in the annuls of pop music, its still considered a James Taylor classic, from his classic LP more than an Elvis hit song. I maybe heard it on the radio twice. Certainly the Aloha broadcast helped it a bit, then poof it was gone, relegated to concert fodder with blaring horns and trombones with a bit of gas. Not a good arrangement by any means.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Very good post, perspective is important when looking back on Elvis' life and career.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nassau_Veterans_Memorial_Coliseum

I don't agree with this assessment. Elvis was seen as puffy and bored at Nassau in June 1973 by at least one major critic, and his set list was uninspired. Even more concerning, according to associate James Caughley, the singer almost died before showtime on June 28 in St. Louis, which was barely a week after the Uniondale gigs. That's not someone in the best shape to be performing. The focus on him just twelve months after his New York debut would have been far more intense had he returned to Madison Square Garden, and far less forgiving.

Two years later he delivered a more exciting, but also more eccentric, show at Nassau. The issues were more than weight then, too.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Lonely Summer wrote:Hadn't had a hit record in 3 years? I guess you didn't turn on your radio during the time My Boy and Promised Land were on the charts.
:shock:
midnightx wrote:Neither song made a significant impact on the charts, and as far as the former song goes, one expects many people turned the radio dial as quickly as possible once the song started, at least in the United States.
Very likely true.
r&b wrote:Correct, what I meant was a hit like Burning Love, top 10, always heard on the radio, My Boy and Promised Land were neither of those in the USA and that is where he toured. I dont recall anyone yelling out for either song at the 1975 show, but I did hear shouts for Burning Love, his last big hit.
Thank you for the first-hand experience. I just don't understand the need to try to make excuses for what the historical record makes clear, for events that happened 40 years ago that cannot be changed.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

brian

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:
Yeah but in the annuls of pop music, its still considered a James Taylor classic, from his classic LP more than an Elvis hit song. I maybe heard it on the radio twice. Certainly the Aloha broadcast helped it a bit, then poof it was gone, relegated to concert fodder with blaring horns and trombones with a bit of gas. Not a good arrangement by any means.
I understand a song can't be a hit record without r&b hearing it much on the radio or if it's a cover of a classic!!!

P.S. I personally like Elvis' version of Steamroller blues better than James Taylor's but it is my understanding that Elvis was covering an obscure R&B groups recording of the song and not Taylor.

r&b

Post by r&b »

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:
I understand a song can't be a hit record without r&b hearing it much on the radio or if it's a cover of a classic!!!

P.S. I personally like Elvis' version of Steamroller blues better than James Taylor's but it is my understanding that Elvis was covering an obscure R&B groups recording of the song and not Taylor.
Great now he doing a cover of a cover. Do you really consider Steamroller Blues a big hit record for Elvis? Forget about me hearing or not hearing it on the radio. What is your thought? Do u think people think of this as a classic hit in the Elvis catalog? I will say that most people after seeing Aloha were not talking much about this song and basically forgot about it unless they bought the album. Outside of the Presley bubble I dont think anyone thinks of this as a big 70s hit record for Elvis if they think of it at all.

SteamrollerBlues
Registered for: 9 years 9 months

Post by SteamrollerBlues »

r&b wrote:
brian wrote:
r&b wrote:

Great now he doing a cover of a cover. Do you really consider Steamroller Blues a big hit record for Elvis? Forget about me hearing or not hearing it on the radio. What is your thought? Do u think people think of this as a classic hit in the Elvis catalog? I will say that most people after seeing Aloha were not talking much about this song and basically forgot about it unless they bought the album. Outside of the Presley bubble I dont think anyone thinks of this as a big 70s hit record for Elvis if they think of it at all.
For what it's worth, it was included on The Essential Elvis Presley 2CD that RCA put out in 2007.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Which is one of the reasons I think it may have sold near half a million.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Lonely Summer wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:
To be fair to r&b, what he likely had in mind when he referred to Elvis not having a hit record in 3 years was a top 10 charting, million copy selling single. In other words, what was referred to at the time as a smash hit. While Separate Ways; Steamroller Blues; If You Talk In your Sleep; Promised Land and My Boy all hit the top 20 and as such can be legitimately - if somewhat generously - referred to as hits, they at best were moderate hits. Only Separate Ways hit the half million mark saleswise (although I personally believe SB may have come close). The others all sold less than 400,000 units.
Promised Land made it to #14 on the Hot 100, was top 10 on the country chart, and got a lot of airplay here in the NW. If we are limiting our definition of hit to only top 10, then I have to throw out a lot of stuff that still gets played on oldies radio today, including Kentucky Rain.
Again, I think they can be referred to as hits, but moderate hits at best. Especially given that only Separate Ways sold a respectable half a million. And setting aside the controversial My Boy only Promised Land achieves greatness. The others are good, solid records, but not particularly memorable. They were basically here today, gone tomorrow.

In the late 70's Neil Diamond had hits with Desiree' (#16); Forever In Blue Jeans (#20); and September Morn (#17). Those chart placings are similar to the aforementioned Elvis records, but the difference is that the Diamond records: a.) Were memorable in terms of his career. b.) Sold a good number of units. In that sense they were similar to Elvis' Kentucky Rain which, while only going to #16, was a memorable, great record which sold at least half a million.

Pete Dube

Post by Pete Dube »

Greystoke wrote:I've always enjoyed Elvis`s take on Steamroller Blues. I like the song and the arrangement, especially the 1974 versions, which have some swing in the brass section. This was very much in Elvis`s wheelhouse in every respect.
I like it too, particularly the '74 renditions, but I've always hated the tuba on the Aloha version.

brian

Post by brian »

r&b wrote:Great now he doing a cover of a cover. Do you really consider Steamroller Blues a big hit record for Elvis? Forget about me hearing or not hearing it on the radio. What is your thought? Do u think people think of this as a classic hit in the Elvis catalog? I will say that most people after seeing Aloha were not talking much about this song and basically forgot about it unless they bought the album. Outside of the Presley bubble I dont think anyone thinks of this as a big 70s hit record for Elvis if they think of it at all.
No. It wasn't a real big hit record for Elvis or a classic. But then again if another artist had a #17 hit on Billboard and a #10 hit on Cashbox it's considered a hit. Not the biggest hit they ever had but a hit.

drjohncarpenter

brian wrote:
r&b wrote:Great now he doing a cover of a cover. Do you really consider Steamroller Blues a big hit record for Elvis? Forget about me hearing or not hearing it on the radio. What is your thought? Do u think people think of this as a classic hit in the Elvis catalog? I will say that most people after seeing Aloha were not talking much about this song and basically forgot about it unless they bought the album. Outside of the Presley bubble I dont think anyone thinks of this as a big 70s hit record for Elvis if they think of it at all.
No. It wasn't a real big hit record for Elvis or a classic. But then again if another artist had a #17 hit on Billboard and a #10 hit on Cashbox it's considered a hit. Not the biggest hit they ever had but a hit.
Elvis Presley wasn't "another artist." At his best, he was THE best. The standards should have been higher.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 8 months

Post by Robert »

It's always nice to see members coming up with self fabricated facts regarding Elvis touring schedule.
When you're restricted to the US only for the entire touring period you play all markets that carry 10-20K indoor arena's. Almost every city had a facility like that, attracting fans from a much broader region, not just the city itself.
But if you analyze the cities & venues, they were played by all other big acts in the same period. Check 'm out! Main point of difference is Elvis not playing outdoor stadiums or festivals: good choice.

There was no hiding from the media, Elvis played major cities until the end and you bet NY press would have covered his 77 Nassau tour stop.
No one from Elvis management ever confirmed a strategy like that. Because there was none.
In fact Parker fed Elvis to the lions by signing the CBS deal. Reason? Financial purposes and I'm sure the Colonel wanted to kick Elvis in the butt to get his act together.
Result? Failure.

MSG was not booked anymore because Nassau made more money, this has been confirmed by people around Elvis. And MSG was in the pocket anyway.

People are saying press in smaller cities were less critical on Elvis appearance.
Go out there and read all late 70's reviews, the opposite is true in many cases.

What Parker tried to do is bringing the Elvis show to new cities and venues every year or even tour.
He also got many offers from building managers and petitions from fans to bring Elvis to certain cities.
Next to that he continued to book the Washington area, NY, San Francisco, Chicago, LA, Houston-Dallas etc.

The real problem was the international 'ban'.
Instead of freakin' Rapid City, he should have been booked for London, rest of Europe and even Australia, Japan.

1978/79 would have been the first opportunity. If he would have been able to improve his health massively it could have been so refreshing keeping Elvis away from any US city for a year or two.