Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
r&b

Re: "Like A Baby"

Post by r&b »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
minkahed wrote:Definitely one of my all-time favorite Elvis Presley recordings.

His vocal on this is impeccable.

Looking back in retrospect, it is kind of a shame that Elvis, RCA, The Colonel, who ever, did not craft an LP specifically dedicated to the Blues, given Elvis's lifelong passion and dedication to this genre or style of music.

In 1985, Greg Geller got it almost right when they pieced together the excellent blue album "Reconsider Baby", but excluded this song and placed it on the 1986 album, "Return of the Rocker". Hmmmm
You see, I'm not sure he did have the passion and dedication to the genre or style because he recorded so little of it. Even if he didn't record a blues album, he could have included a blues number on each LP he put out. But if he loved the blues so much, where are they? Where are the blues on Something for Everybody? Or Pot Luck? Or in the 1957 sessions? You get When It Rains It Really Pours, and that's the only real blues number of that year. What about when he was struggling to complete the required number of recordings in 1971, 1973 or 1976? He could have easily run off a few blues numbers to fulfil the quota. But he didn't. Even a comp like Reconsider Baby isn't really blues all the way through. Tomorrow Night? Don't think so. And when he was recording covers in the 1970s, where were the blues? Sure, much of his music has a "bluesy" element, but I don't see much evidence of Elvis having much desire to cut a blues album as such or even perform blues songs in particular. They would have been easy additions to his live repertoire, but they're not there. Even in the private recordings of the late 1950s and through the 1960s, is he singing blues? Nope, he's singing country, gospel and show tunes. If he loved them so much, surely he'd be at least singing them in private?

Another loose "blues-ish" collection came from the Uk, with the tracks apparently licensed from RCA. It was released a double LP and double cassette.

https://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Presley-Mess-O-Blues/release/4020615
I would have to agree with you. If he loved the genre so much, why not a full album or even two in his 20+ years? Why not one blues or R&B number for each LP. Pot Luck could have used it for sure. In fact the blues may be Elvis' least used genre. Country , pop & MOR songs far outnumbered them. RCA was able to compile just one legit blues album from the many years of recordings. How much did he really love the blues?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Looking back in retrospect, it is kind of a shame that Elvis, RCA, The Colonel, who ever, did not craft an LP specifically dedicated to the Blues, given Elvis's lifelong passion and dedication to this genre or style of music.

In 1985, Greg Geller got it almost right when they pieced together the excellent blue album "Reconsider Baby", but excluded this song and placed it on the 1986 album, "Return of the Rocker". Hmmmm
You see, I'm not sure he did have the passion and dedication to the genre or style because he recorded so little of it. Even if he didn't record a blues album, he could have included a blues number on each LP he put out. But if he loved the blues so much, where are they? Where are the blues on Something for Everybody? Or Pot Luck? Or in the 1957 sessions? You get When It Rains It Really Pours, and that's the only real blues number of that year. What about when he was struggling to complete the required number of recordings in 1971, 1973 or 1976? He could have easily run off a few blues numbers to fulfil the quota. But he didn't. Even a comp like Reconsider Baby isn't really blues all the way through. Tomorrow Night? Don't think so. And when he was recording covers in the 1970s, where were the blues? Sure, much of his music has a "bluesy" element, but I don't see much evidence of Elvis having much desire to cut a blues album as such or even perform blues songs in particular. They would have been easy additions to his live repertoire, but they're not there. Even in the private recordings of the late 1950s and through the 1960s, is he singing blues? Nope, he's singing country, gospel and show tunes. If he loved them so much, surely he'd be at least singing them in private?

Another loose "blues-ish" collection came from the Uk, with the tracks apparently licensed from RCA. It was released a double LP and double cassette.

I would have to agree with you. If he loved the genre so much, why not a full album or even two in his 20+ years? Why not one blues or R&B number for each LP. Pot Luck could have used it for sure. In fact the blues may be Elvis' least used genre. Country , pop & MOR songs far outnumbered them. RCA was able to compile just one legit blues album from the many years of recordings. How much did he really love the blues?
Elvis after "Got My Mojo/Hands off of Her" comments laughing "this is the mediocre sh*t we did in the olden days".. or words to that effect. Good thing the tape recorder was started. For he wasn't going to take direction as "do this here song". Spur of the moment ("Stranger In My Own Home Town", I'll Hold You In My Heart" included). Great thing to have a studio band that could jump in without mistakes for those one or two take numbers.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Elvis after "Got My Mojo/Hands off of Her" comments laughing "this is the mediocre sh*t we did in the olden days".. or words to that effect. Good thing the tape recorder was started. For he wasn't going to take direction as "do this here song". Spur of the moment ("Stranger In My Own Home Town", I'll Hold You In My Heart" included). Great thing to have a studio band that could jump in without mistakes for those one or two take numbers.
Thats kinda sad. I remember when the LP came out, the one review I read on it said the only song where Elvis came alive and treated us fans was with the blues jam Elvis did on Mojo. It went on to say these types of songs are getting rare and rarer on Elvis LPs or words to that effect. I wonder if Elvis knew people felt this way. Maybe it was up to Felton to read this kind of review and then suggest to him an album full of this stuff, even if it was just one jam after another. Our loss.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Thats kinda sad. I remember when the LP came out, the one review I read on it said the only song where Elvis came alive and treated us fans was with the blues jam Elvis did on Mojo. It went on to say these types of songs are getting rare and rarer on Elvis LPs or words to that effect. I wonder if Elvis knew people felt this way. Maybe it was up to Felton to read this kind of review and then suggest to him an album full of this stuff, even if it was just one jam after another. Our loss.
Why would Felton not have asked or suggested that to him? He most probably did cause Felton loved the blues and even recorded blues records by John Lee Hooker (pretty good to my ears) as a solo artist, before becoming engineer and producer. "Got My Mojo"...was captured thanks to him. Otherwise, not even that. There isn't an excuse about publishing either with those numbers that could almost be obtained for free.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

jetblack wrote:ELVIS IN HOLLYWOOD (CBR 1014)

A year after releasing 'Elvis In Hollywood' (1982) another nice compilation was released by Everest in 1983 entitled 'Blue Rhythms' (EPC 1000). This double album was released on both blue and black vinyl.

Side One:
1. Trouble
2. Reconsider Baby
3. A Mess Of Blues
4. Give Me The Right
5. Such A Night
6. When It Rains It Really Pours

Side Two:
7. Trying To Get To You
8. Like A Baby
9. I Want To Be Free
10. Mean Woman Blues
11. Ain't That Loving You Baby
12. One Night

Side Three:
13. Little Sister
14. So Glad You're Mine
15. Big Boss Man
16. I Want You With Me
17. Baby What You Want Me To Do
18. Santa Claus Is Back In Town

Side Four:
19. Stuck On You
20. I Feel So Bad
21. What'd I Say
22. Tomorrow Night
23. It Feels So Right
24. Merry Christmas Baby

Andy
I remember seeing that double Blue Album one time as a kid, what a great idea in concept and in package.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

TJ

Post by TJ »

poormadpeter2 wrote:Another loose "blues-ish" collection came from the Uk, with the tracks apparently licensed from RCA. It was released a double LP and double cassette.

How I loved that collection. I had a different version of it, but it would have been released at a similar time I think:
https://www.discogs.com/Elvis-Presley-Mess-O-Blues-Volumes-1-2/release/5192229

Jetblack's info shows that this collection had already been released under a different title:
jetblack wrote:
A year after releasing 'Elvis In Hollywood' (1982) another nice compilation was released by Everest in 1983 entitled 'Blue Rhythms' (EPC 1000). This double album was released on both blue and black vinyl.

Side One:
1. Trouble
2. Reconsider Baby
3. A Mess Of Blues
4. Give Me The Right
5. Such A Night
6. When It Rains It Really Pours

Side Two:
7. Trying To Get To You
8. Like A Baby
9. I Want To Be Free
10. Mean Woman Blues
11. Ain't That Loving You Baby
12. One Night

Side Three:
13. Little Sister
14. So Glad You're Mine
15. Big Boss Man
16. I Want You With Me
17. Baby What You Want Me To Do
18. Santa Claus Is Back In Town

Side Four:
19. Stuck On You
20. I Feel So Bad
21. What'd I Say
22. Tomorrow Night
23. It Feels So Right
24. Merry Christmas Baby

Andy

jetblack

Post by jetblack »

Premier licensed the tracks in 1988.

'Mess O' Blues' is the same album as Blue Rhythms' only with different cover art.

There were 2 versions.

(PPD 2000) PMP 1012 / 1013
This contained volumes 1 & 2 in their own glossy picture sleeve IN an outer picture slipcase sleeve.

Re-issue on the Performance label (1989) (PFP 2000)

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

TJ

Post by TJ »

Cool. Mine was the Premier cassette version. I probably played it as much as any other album/set that I ever bought.

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Post by Davelee »

r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Well, "Merry Xmas Baby" & " Steamroller" came after "Mojo" plus Elvis' comment about he'd "like to do a Blues album".....

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:Thats kinda sad. I remember when the LP came out, the one review I read on it said the only song where Elvis came alive and treated us fans was with the blues jam Elvis did on Mojo. It went on to say these types of songs are getting rare and rarer on Elvis LPs or words to that effect. I wonder if Elvis knew people felt this way. Maybe it was up to Felton to read this kind of review and then suggest to him an album full of this stuff, even if it was just one jam after another. Our loss.
Well, "Merry Xmas Baby" & " Steamroller" came after "Mojo" plus Elvis' comment about he'd "like to do a Blues album".....
Elvis was nothing if not a big tease.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:Thats kinda sad. I remember when the LP came out, the one review I read on it said the only song where Elvis came alive and treated us fans was with the blues jam Elvis did on Mojo. It went on to say these types of songs are getting rare and rarer on Elvis LPs or words to that effect. I wonder if Elvis knew people felt this way. Maybe it was up to Felton to read this kind of review and then suggest to him an album full of this stuff, even if it was just one jam after another. Our loss.
Elvis was nothing if not a big tease.
He could be a little rascal at times.

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Was Elvis's comment about doing a blues in an interview/press conference, does anyone know? Or is it just hearsay?

Davelee

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Was Elvis's comment about doing a blues in an interview/press conference, does anyone know? Or is it just hearsay?
No. It's in an interview with a guy named Tony Prince I believe, think that's his name. Someone else should know but Elvis definitely said it.

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

No. It's in an interview with a guy named Tony Prince I believe, think that's his name. Someone else should know but Elvis definitely said it.
Right and it was reported in Elvis Monthly at the time. The fans were excited that finally an album showcasing rock/blues was forthcoming. Expectations were high that this was going to be the best album since the 1969 Memphis sessions. Then Raised On Rock came out.

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

r&b wrote:
Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Right and it was reported in Elvis Monthly at the time. The fans were excited that finally an album showcasing rock/blues was forthcoming. Expectations were high that this was going to be the best album since the 1969 Memphis sessions. Then Raised On Rock came out.
Yes, but once again, how the question was put to Elvis is important.

"Many fans say they would like you to do a blues album. Is that something you would like to do?"
"Yes, I'd like to do a blues album."

is NOT the same as

"What would you like to do next?"
"I'd like to do a blues album."

The first version puts the idea of the album into Elvis's head, and he certainly couldn't say "no" to that question, because it would look like he didn't want to listen to fans. The second version of the conversation would give us a more definite idea that Elvis was ACTUALLY wanting to do a blues album rather than just being polite.

drjohncarpenter

Davelee wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Was Elvis's comment about doing a blues in an interview/press conference, does anyone know? Or is it just hearsay?
Guess what? I know. ;-)

Tony Prince, RTL DJ, interviewed Elvis during visits to Las Vegas in the summer of 1972 and 1973.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Prince
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Luxembourg

Below are Elvis' public comments to him during the first visit about "working on a rock 'n' roll and blues album."

He also told Prince a year later he would "come see" the fans in Great Britain and Europe ...

Such a tease.

Greeting Tony Prince backstage at the Hilton - Monday, September 4, 1972

A lot of people want to know when we'll ever get a full album of Elvis blues, go back to rock 'n' roll. Are you gonna get back into the blues at all?

Oh, yeah.

Get it together? "Merry Christmas Baby"?

Just, uh, so happen to be working on a rock 'n' roll and a blues album in Memphis.

Really? You're working on it right now?

We're, we're, you know, we're getting the songs together.

Great, we'll look forward to that.

It's a coincidence that you asked me that, really.

Tony Prince speaks to Elvis backstage at the Hilton, Monday, September 4, 1972
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhAgmTMt89g&t=20s

The closest Presley came to living up to that promise was two r&b covers he laid down at Stax Studios in Memphis in July 1973: "Just A Little Bit" and "If You Don't Come Back." Both were decent, but he was depressed at the sessions, and his vocals were not what they could have been.

BONUS TONY

Elvis, very quickly, is there, there are fifty million listeners listening to a eight-hour spectacular in Europe USO tonight. Do you have any message to all the fans in Great Britain and Europe listening to your show tonight?

Uh, uh, just tell them that I, I really love their devotion, and we gotta come see 'em. We got to. I've been saying that for years, but we will.

We're sure, we're sure you will, Elvis. Thank you.

Prince again interviews Elvis (briefly) backstage at the Hilton, Wednesday, August 29, 1973
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhAgmTMt89g&t=1m21s

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

Sheer perfection. I played it recently for my 23 year old son, and he sat through it entranced. Thanks Juan.

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

I love the song, and his performance...but I don´t like the Sax...

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

ICanHelp wrote:Sheer perfection. I played it recently for my 23 year old son, and he sat through it entranced. Thanks Juan.
Agreed.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"

drjohncarpenter

Scarre wrote:I love the song, and his performance...but I don´t like the Sax...
We don't need "Like A Baby" to know that Elvis loved Sax.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Elvis sang blues music from the beginning of his career to the end.

I just don't have the time or the inclination to
List individual tracks, but it's all there, in the albums and singles.

there is always a problem in that a lot of Elvis's blues music sounds country, and a lot of his country music sounds like Blues, with a tinge of gospel thrown in for good measure.

Shoot, half of the great "Elvis is Back" is almost all blues, as well as "From Elvis In Memphis".

a good example is the song "After Loving You". most people would associate that as a classic country song, but in the Elvis style, it's all Blues to me.

The great 1967, '68, "Big Boss Man", "Hi Heel Sneakers", a good portion of the 1968 Comeback Special, the list goes on and on ...

In 1973, just like the good old Doc explained, we got "Just a Little Bit" and "If You Don't Come Back", hell, even, "Three Corn Patches" has that 3 chord basic blues pattern.

In 1975, on "Today", there was "Shake a Hand".

Even in 1976, "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" and the alternate take of "She Thinks I Still Care" sound and feel more bluesy to me than Country

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

I wouldnt consider some of the songs you mentioned as blues. Blues tinged maybe or leaning toward R&B. And some of the arrangements are lame taking away more of the blues element like the Stax stuff. The new Stones album is what Elvis should have done. Or some Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, and stuff like Bonnie Raitt and Susan Tedesci does. Thats the blues.

Topic author
TCBell

Post by TCBell »

r&b wrote:I wouldnt consider some of the songs you mentioned as blues. Blues tinged maybe or leaning toward R&B. And some of the arrangements are lame taking away more of the blues element like the Stax stuff. The new Stones album is what Elvis should have done. Or some Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, and stuff like Bonnie Raitt and Susan Tedesci does. Thats the blues.

I agree. I think you could probably count quite quickly the number of bona fide "blues" tracks cut by Elvis. I prefer to apply the term "rhythm and blues".

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

minkahed wrote:
r&b wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:

Elvis sang blues music from the beginning of his career to the end.

I just don't have the time or the inclination to
List individual tracks, but it's all there, in the albums and singles.

there is always a problem in that a lot of Elvis's blues music sounds country, and a lot of his country music sounds like Blues, with a tinge of gospel thrown in for good measure.

Shoot, half of the great "Elvis is Back" is almost all blues, as well as "From Elvis In Memphis".

a good example is the song "After Loving You". most people would associate that as a classic country song, but in the Elvis style, it's all Blues to me.

The great 1967, '68, "Big Boss Man", "Hi Heel Sneakers", a good portion of the 1968 Comeback Special, the list goes on and on ...

In 1973, just like the good old Doc explained, we got "Just a Little Bit" and "If You Don't Come Back", hell, even, "Three Corn Patches" has that 3 chord basic blues pattern.

In 1975, on "Today", there was "Shake a Hand".

Even in 1976, "Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain" and the alternate take of "She Thinks I Still Care" sound and feel more bluesy to me than Country
Virtually every rock n roll sang has the basic 3 chord blues pattern, but it doesn't make them blues. As we have outlined on a previous thread, blues is not defined as a feel but as a specific structure. There are rules to proper blues music that are not there for country or gospel or folk. So, while some of Elvis's music might have a bluesy type feel to it, very little of it is blues.