Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

Re: Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Post by Juan Luis »

I would absolutely love to hear the "My Boy" one-liner from a 2-12-77 soundboard released by FTD. I went to that show, for those that don't know. :)

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Juan Luis wrote:I would absolutely love to hear the "My Boy" one-liner from a 2-12-77 soundboard released by FTD. I went to that show, for those that don't know. :)
You did? We never knew that. I wish you had mentioned that fact on this board earlier. :D

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

StefanKock1 wrote:
Going by the database from élvisconcerts.com' Elvis performed 'My Boy' live 70 times:

- 1973: 34x
- 1974: 1x
- 1975: 35x

No known performances, excerpts or one liners are currently known to exist from 1976, and the single one liner from 1977 is all we have after the final (full) performance (so far) on December 3rd 1975. It has to be noted also that 'my Boy' was performed 30 times between March 18th 1975 and May 6th 1975 (first Vegas season and first tour of 1975). The remaining 5 performances took place in August (Vegas / 3x) and December (Vegas / 2x).

Just adding some additional facts. I agree that performing a song 70 times can't be called 'a few versions'.
I wasn't aware that Elvis performed "My Boy" in 1974. At which show did this take place? Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Ken Jensen wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:
Going by the database from élvisconcerts.com' Elvis performed 'My Boy' live 70 times:

No known performances, excerpts or one liners are currently known to exist from 1976, and the single one liner from 1977 is all we have after the final (full) performance (so far) on December 3rd 1975. It has to be noted also that 'my Boy' was performed 30 times between March 18th 1975 and May 6th 1975 (first Vegas season and first tour of 1975). The remaining 5 performances took place in August (Vegas / 3x) and December (Vegas / 2x).

Just adding some additional facts. I agree that performing a song 70 times can't be called 'a few versions'.
I wasn't aware that Elvis performed "My Boy" in 1974. At which show did this take place? Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.
August 28th 1974 dinner show, available only on cdr at the moment. If available on soundboard it could be a nice bonus song when (or if) FTD decides to go back to the August / September '74 season :wink:

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

StefanKock1 wrote:
GLAISTER wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Looks like someone did some "winter cleaning." Nice!

My "favorite" live rendition is the same one I posted ON TOPIC yesterday, which "disappeared":

2-12-1977 (Sat)

Source: http://www.elvisconcerts.com/

I choose it because it is the shortest of the very few versions Presley did on stage after the song was officially released in March 1974.

Feel free to discuss!

We all know 'My Boy' is one of your favourite Elvis songs Doc!!

Being factually correct - without meaning to be pedantic, we all appreciate the value of facts on this forum - the '77 one-liner to which you refer is not one of the "few" versions of the song he did live after it's release: 'My Boy' was a regular feature of Elvis' shows all the way from March through August of '75 - I haven't counted, but it must be at least 30 or 40 performances over this time period. I have a feeling he might also have done it (or tried to do it) once or twice in '76 as well but it's so long since I listened to my old AR tapes I couldn't give you dates.

The version - or one liner - to which you refer - I assume you would still buy it if FTD issued it from a soundboard ?!

You did say feel free to discuss ... !!! :D

I wouldn't want to bet money on it, but I am sure there are one or two attempts at 'My Boy' in '76. It's 20+ years since I had a go at my hoard of '76 AR tapes but somehow, Tahoe rings a bell which would make it a May show. It's a minor point, one day the fact may be established by someone brave enough to sit through all the available '76 AR's but I wouldn't want to do it myself - staying that focused on a '76 show for 60 or 70 minutes isn't my idea of heaven any more!

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Juan Luis wrote:I would absolutely love to hear the "My Boy" one-liner from a 2-12-77 soundboard released by FTD. I went to that show, for those that don't know. :)
Maybe Cisco can make that happen.

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

GLAISTER wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:
GLAISTER wrote:

My "favorite" live rendition is the same one I posted ON TOPIC yesterday, which "disappeared":

2-12-1977 (Sat)

I choose it because it is the shortest of the very few versions Presley did on stage after the song was officially released in March 1974.

Feel free to discuss!

Being factually correct - without meaning to be pedantic, we all appreciate the value of facts on this forum - the '77 one-liner to which you refer is not one of the "few" versions of the song he did live after it's release: 'My Boy' was a regular feature of Elvis' shows all the way from March through August of '75 - I haven't counted, but it must be at least 30 or 40 performances over this time period. I have a feeling he might also have done it (or tried to do it) once or twice in '76 as well but it's so long since I listened to my old AR tapes I couldn't give you dates.

The version - or one liner - to which you refer - I assume you would still buy it if FTD issued it from a soundboard ?!

I wouldn't want to bet money on it, but I am sure there are one or two attempts at 'My Boy' in '76. It's 20+ years since I had a go at my hoard of '76 AR tapes but somehow, Tahoe rings a bell which would make it a May show. It's a minor point, one day the fact may be established by someone brave enough to sit through all the available '76 AR's but I wouldn't want to do it myself - staying that focused on a '76 show for 60 or 70 minutes isn't my idea of heaven any more!
'My Boy' wasn't attempted in Tahoe '76 (or the whole of 1976 for that matter). From Tahoe we'll have one liners / excerpts / short versions and/or last versions of several rare (or for the period) songs like 'Wooden Heart', 'Young and Beautiful', 'Loving You', 'I'll Remember You', Crying In The Chappel', It's Midnight', 'When The Saints Go Marchin' In', 'Rip It Up' and/or 'Ku-I-P-O'.

After December 3rd 1975 we only have the one liner from February 12th 1977 when it comes to 'My Boy'.

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

StefanKock1 wrote:
GLAISTER wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:
GLAISTER wrote:

2-12-1977 (Sat)

Feel free to discuss!

'My Boy' wasn't attempted in Tahoe '76 (or the whole of 1976 for that matter). From Tahoe we'll have one liners / excerpts / short versions and/or last versions of several rare (or for the period) songs like 'Wooden Heart', 'Young and Beautiful', 'Loving You', 'I'll Remember You', Crying In The Chappel', It's Midnight', 'When The Saints Go Marchin' In', 'Rip It Up' and/or 'Ku-I-P-O'.

After December 3rd 1975 we only have the one liner from February 12th 1977 when it comes to 'My Boy'.
I concede!

20 years ago I might have argued with you but you obviously have a genuine, up to date knowledge which I don't have any more. And like I said in my earlier post, going through all my old '76 tapes (guessing at roughly 30, many of which will now be available on soundboard anyway) I wouldn't want to debate the point further.

But I will also say there have been two "live" surprises from '76 that I can think of off-hand: 'Return To Sender' and 'Danny Boy', both of which were total surprises to all of us at the time they surfaced and, I concede also were complete-ish performances. I don't think '76 shows have finished surprising us yet.

:)

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

Ken Jensen wrote:As I wrote in the first topic, my favorite live version of "My Boy" is the May 6, 1975, version, followed by the March 28, 1975, midnight show.
These are both very good choices, in terms of both being great performances as well as being available in great sound on official releases.

There are also some really good December 1975 performances of the song from Vegas (2nd December 1975 opening show, and the show the following day on the 3rd) in decent audience recorded sound.

Whilst that was a great season performance wise, unfortunately, professional recordings from that season seem to have been recorded with the levels too high, so while it would be nice to have more pro recorded shows from this season that included this song, one would hope for a source where the recording levels didn't go into the red on the power vocals.

There are so many live performances of this track to choose from, but it was usually a welcome addition to his live performances when he chose to include it - even the version from the notorious September 1973 closing show is a decent performance.

Also worth mentioning is the version from the tour opening Macon show 24th April 1975 - it's not the clearest of soundboard recordings, but the piano and Kathy's high voice are very prominent in the mix, making it sound like a more understated performance to piano accompaniment.

Macon 24th April 1975

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

One of my favorite songs. Great topic. I like it when he really hit it vocally. Vegas 22. March 75 MS comes to mind. I wonder if really good 8mm footage exist of the song?

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Kenneth wrote:One of my favorite songs. Great topic. I like it when he really hit it vocally. Vegas 22. March 75 MS comes to mind. I wonder if really good 8mm footage exist of the song?
There's only some less than desired 8mm footage from August '75 that I'm aware of.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Yes, thank's. Terrific. Have somebody seen this in better quality?

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

StefanKock1 wrote:Going by the database from élvisconcerts.com' Elvis performed 'My Boy' live 70 times:

My point has always been very clearly articulated. What I wrote in my first post is spot-on:

"... of the very few versions Presley did on stage after the song was officially released in March 1974."

Facts:

After the song was officially released in March 1974, Elvis gave a single known performance that year. Almost 160 gigs that year, and one known rendition. This indicates almost zero interest in the tune.

After RCA issued it as a single in March 1975, fans were treated to about 35 scintillating performances in a year where he gave almost 110 shows. This indicates a mild interest in the song.

Virtually nothing of the bombastic Richard Harris cover is known from 1976 or 1977. This indicates, again, almost zero interest.

In sum, Elvis delivered about 450 shows from March 1974 to June 1977, and "My Boy" was in the set about 35 times.

That represents very few versions. Thank goodness.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
StefanKock1 wrote:Going by the database from élvisconcerts.com' Elvis performed 'My Boy' live 70 times:

My point has always been very clearly articulated. What I wrote in my first post is spot-on:

"... of the very few versions Presley did on stage after the song was officially released in March 1974."

Facts:

After the song was officially released in March 1974, Elvis gave a single known performance that year. Almost 160 gigs that year, and one known rendition. This indicates almost zero interest in the tune.

After RCA issued it as a single in March 1975, fans were treated to about 35 scintillating performances in a year where he gave almost 110 shows. This indicates a mild interest in the song.

Virtually nothing of the bombastic Richard Harris cover is known from 1976 or 1977. This indicates, again, almost zero interest.

In sum, Elvis delivered about 450 shows from March 1974 to June 1977, and "My Boy" was in the set about 35 times.

Yes, and between July 31st 1969 and June 26th 1977 Elvis performed 1126 concerts. During those 1126 concerts he performed Rubberneckin' just 1 time. Now that's what I call 'very few'.

You can't adjust the time-frame to your liking and thereby cut off 35 performances of the song just because it suits you better. 'Burning Love' was performed 15 (!) times after it's release in 1972 during 1972/73 (which indicates almost zero interest in the song). It wasn't performed at all in 1974 and then suddenly performed 90 (!) times during 1975/76. Would your argument be the same for Burning Love as it is for My Boy had Elvis died in 1974 ??

By your logic he didn't like (or had zero interest) in songs like Don't Cry Daddy, Let It Be Me, Kentucky Rain,I've Lost You, I Just Can't Help Believing, If You Talk In Your Sleep, T.R.O.U.B.L.E, Promised Land either as all were performed less times than My Boy. We both know that's not the case, these were all songs he liked but for one reason or another didn't fit the show anymore. As was the case with My Boy.

The fact is that with 70 live performances this song was sung live more often than a whole list of songs (of which most ARE better than My Boy but which isn't the point of this tread) you hold in higher regard than My Boy. It's ok not to like a song, just keep the playground fair and do not adjust the perimeter of the sand box to your liking.

But let's not make this discussion about how good or bad the song is, or how much Elvis liked or disliked it. Let just enjoy Elvis !

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
goldbelt wrote:
Ken Jensen wrote:As I wrote in the first topic, my favorite live version of "My Boy" is the May 6, 1975, version, followed by the March 28, 1975, midnight show.
These are both very good choices, in terms of both being great performances as well as being available in great sound on official releases.

There are also some really good December 1975 performances of the song from Vegas (2nd December 1975 opening show, and the show the following day on the 3rd) in decent audience recorded sound.

Whilst that was a great season performance wise, unfortunately, professional recordings from that season seem to have been recorded with the levels too high, so while it would be nice to have more pro recorded shows from this season that included this song, one would hope for a source where the recording levels didn't go into the red on the power vocals.

There are so many live performances of this track to choose from, but it was usually a welcome addition to his live performances when he chose to include it - even the version from the notorious September 1973 closing show is a decent performance.

Also worth mentioning is the version from the tour opening Macon show 24th April 1975 - it's not the clearest of soundboard recordings, but the piano and Kathy's high voice are very prominent in the mix, making it sound like a more understated performance to piano accompaniment.

Macon 24th April 1975
Nice version 8). Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

I had to give you a like because you had 666 likes (Devil´s number), so I had to increase it as you´re not like him! :wink:.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

It seems a bit desperate to assert Elvis performed My Boy with any sort of notable frequency, interest, and enthusiasm. In both 1973 and 1975, when the song appeared in concert the most, My Boy did not come close to making Elvis' set-list even 50% of the time. In fact, in 1973, My Boy was performed roughly 18% of the time, and in 1975, just roughly 31% of the time. At best, Elvis was mildly interested in the song after discovering it during 1973. After recording it in 1973 (abruptly ending the recording of the track after 3 takes), it apparently appeared only once the following year in 1974 (so much for arguing for his enthusiasm for the song). Then in 1975, when it became a single, he loosely promoted it on stage once again, but certainly not in any significant or consistent manner. And to be clear, this is not an assessment of the quality, or lack-thereof, for My Boy. This is to simply debunk the theory that Elvis consistently performed My Boy during the 1970's, because clearly he did not.

drjohncarpenter

midnightx wrote:It seems a bit desperate to assert Elvis performed My Boy with any sort of notable frequency, interest, and enthusiasm. In both 1973 and 1975, when the song appeared in concert the most, My Boy did not come close to making Elvis' set-list even 50% of the time. In fact, in 1973, My Boy was performed roughly 18% of the time, and in 1975, just roughly 31% of the time. At best, Elvis was mildly interested in the song after discovering it during 1973. After recording it in 1973 (abruptly ending the recording of the track after 3 takes), it apparently appeared only once the following year in 1974 (so much for arguing for his enthusiasm for the song). Then in 1975, when it became a single, he loosely promoted it on stage once again, but certainly not in any significant or consistent manner. And to be clear, this is not an assessment of the quality, or lack-thereof, for My Boy. This is to simply debunk the theory that Elvis consistently performed My Boy during the 1970's, because clearly he did not.
And it also debunks the theory that Elvis "loved" the song.

As for my argument and spot-on statement, they were clearly based on what Elvis did with his cover of "My Boy" after it became known to the general public, when RCA pressed it on vinyl. All indications are he had little interest in it from then on. I am not discussing any other release, or seeking to make comparisons with material that did or did not appear in his set lists. Why my view is assailed as crafting something "to my liking" is absurd. It is addressing his career from a valid, artistic point of view.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Ok everyone that understands the OP meaning of this thread. Keep it coming. It does not matter if Elvis performed the song twice or seventy times. Your favorite or favourites. :)

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

If Elvis had little interest in 'My Boy', and using the number of times he performed a particular song as a guide as to how interested in a song he might have been, then he had even less interest in songs like Kentucky Rain, In The Ghetto, I'm Leavin', T-R-O-U-B-L-E, maybe even Burning Love than he did in 'My Boy', and he did 'My Boy' (an example) probably roughly the same number of times that he performed Promised Land.

Pieces Of My Life: once. Moody Blue: once (twice if you included the aborted attempt).

All considered amongst Elvis' better '70's studio work. The logic that we can judge how "interested" Elvis might have been in a particular song 'based on how many times he performed it doesn't work for me. The fact is that on and off between summer '73 and summer '75, Elvis felt like singing 'My Boy' more times than he did many other songs which debatably might have been much better choices and more suitable for the time, musically, and as in the case I think of 'My Boy', personally as well.

Also to be borne in mind is that Elvis started performing 'My Boy' before he recorded it in the studio, and as we know he didn't often do a song live before recording it properly. He was obviously interested enough in the song to come back to it later, again something he didn;t often do.

We have the rarities we have because Elvis was a creature of whim; we have a thousand versions of 'Hound Dog' because he was also a creature of habit. A contradiction, as is often the case with genius.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Let's stick to the OP. Thanks. On topic..
Last edited by Juan Luis on Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter

GLAISTER wrote:If Elvis had little interest in 'My Boy', and using the number of times he performed a particular song as a guide as to how interested in a song he might have been, then he had even less interest in songs like Kentucky Rain, In The Ghetto, I'm Leavin', T-R-O-U-B-L-E, maybe even Burning Love than he did in 'My Boy', and he did 'My Boy' (an example) probably roughly the same number of times that he performed Promised Land.
All sad but true. But my comment is about the topic only: live versions of "My Boy." There weren't that many done after it got released, and thus not something that he "loved" to sing.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rlj4ep
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Thanks Juan, an interesting question. For me, it is hands down the May 6, 1975 version. The way Elvis holds the note on "because" is a great moment.

rlj

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks Juan, an interesting question. For me, it is hands down the May 6, 1975 version. The way Elvis holds the note on "because" is a great moment.

rlj
Yes, good observation. Thank you.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Facts:

Thanks for setting the record straight again.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

rlj4ep wrote:Thanks Juan, an interesting question. For me, it is hands down the May 6, 1975 version. The way Elvis holds the note on "because" is a great moment.

rlj
That is a great moment, he does that on at least a few other versions too!