Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Post by Juan Luis »

That's right. Not studio. Not if Elvis liked it or not. Not if you find the song cringe-worthy. But very simple. Your favorite live version of the song. It goes without saying, to like a live version, one must like the song. Let's see if we can do this one more time without sarcasm, and reasons of disliking the song which I am not interested. Start a hate My Boy thread, if you seem so inclined. The thread title as before, speaks for itself.
My favorite thus far is May 6, 1975. ::rocks

GLAISTER

Re: Your favorite live version of "My Boy"!

Post by GLAISTER »

August 28th, 1973 Las Vegas midnight show

Good on you Juan Luis!

Tony C
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

I couldn't pick one, I love them all. The song itself is one I like very much and have always thought Elvis' version was great.

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

As i've said in the previous topic I liked the song the first time I've heard it (being a 10 year old in 1989). Elvis must have liked it too as he began performing the song before he even recorded it. Also, I assume, he liked it enough to have it released as a single in early '75 and as such began performing it again. It's not a song that's in my top 50 of best Elvis songs, it is in the top 50 of my favorite Elvis songs though.

My favorite live performance is also the May 6th 1975 performance. The somewhat more 'delicate' versions from August 1973 I like a little less, but from those the August 20th 1973 ms (as first released on Fort Baxter's: A Profile - The King On Stage) is my favorite and 2nd after the May 6th 1975 performance.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

My personal experience is on a cruise ship that was docked in the summer of 1975. Not on a cruise BTW. I was with my father who managed for us to get in a take a look around before the ship sailed. We went to one of the lounges to have a coke, and there was a jukebox. My father knew I was an Elvis fan and saw that there was an Elvis single, and put the coins in and My Boy started playing! No words between us but it was a special moment (with him) for my mother and father were divorced when I was a toddler. That's my story.

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Juan Luis wrote:My personal experience is on a cruise ship that was docked in the summer of 1975. Not on a cruise BTW. I was with my father who managed for us to get in a take a look around before the ship sailed. We went to one of the lounges to have a coke, and there was a jukebox. My father knew I was an Elvis fan and saw that there was an Elvis single, and put the coins in and My Boy started playing! No words between us but it was a special moment (with him) for my mother and father were divorced when I was a toddler. That's my story.
It's really beautiful what music can do and/or achieve isn't it ? Thanks for this personal story which explains your bond with the song Juan Luis. Did you notice the one-liner of 'My Boy' when you attended the February 12th 1977 concert ? If so, it was probably a big disappointment he didn't do the whole song I guess ?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

StefanKock1 wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:My personal experience is on a cruise ship that was docked in the summer of 1975. Not on a cruise BTW. I was with my father who managed for us to get in a take a look around before the ship sailed. We went to one of the lounges to have a coke, and there was a jukebox. My father knew I was an Elvis fan and saw that there was an Elvis single, and put the coins in and My Boy started playing! No words between us but it was a special moment (with him) for my mother and father were divorced when I was a toddler. That's my story.
It's really beautiful what music can do and/or achieve isn't it ? Thanks for this personal story which explains your bond with the song Juan Luis. Did you notice the one-liner of 'My Boy' when you attended the February 12th 1977 concert ? If so, it was probably a big disappointment he didn't do the whole song I guess ?
Yes it is. Music can be a great part in one's life. Special songs. Thank you. No I didn't hear the one liner, just "My Way" that he went ahead real quick. BTW,the acoustics was really bad for I could not make out what he was saying when speaking. But it was great when singing. With HURT I thought the roof was going to come off. I got a little scared, just a kid at my first ever concert by anyone! Never had experienced so many people before. And to think we were all there for the same thing! LOL...

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

GLAISTER wrote:August 28th, 1973 Las Vegas midnight show

Good on you Juan Luis!
What CD is that on? Thanks!

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

I enjoy the versions from August '73 before he recorded it in the studio.

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

Juan Luis wrote:

Good on you Juan Luis!
Concert released in 1992 as 'Take These Chains From My Heart' (2 last songs missing) and this particular version as a bonus track on the more recent Straight Arrow release The King Holds Court (3cd, bonus on cd 1).

This is the 'My Boy (false start) - What A Friend We Have In Jesus (excerpt) - My Boy (false start) - Release Me - My Boy' version.

Germain

Post by Germain »

Opening Night aug 73, because it was before the actual recording.

Domino

Post by Domino »

I really can't pick one.I like everyone I've heard so far.Maybe if I go hunting for them and play them all I could pick one I suppose ....but......I'm lazy.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

When is the Doc going to weigh in? It is his favorite Elvis song. :D

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Mike C wrote:When is the Doc going to weigh in? It is his favorite Elvis song. :D
No baiting please. Let's stay on topic.

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

What happened to the former topic? :shock:.

My favourite live version of My Boy is the August 20, 1973 (Monday - Midnight Show) in Las Vegas, as included on "A Profile: The King On Stage Volume 1 CD" :smt020. This live recording was recorded before the studio version on December 1973. Bye for now :smt006.

Source: http://www.keithflynn.com/essential_lists/concerts-1973.html

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Looks like someone did some "winter cleaning." Nice!

My "favorite" live rendition is the same one I posted ON TOPIC yesterday, which "disappeared":

2-12-1977 (Sat)

Source: http://www.elvisconcerts.com/

I choose it because it is the shortest of the very few versions Presley did on stage after the song was officially released in March 1974.

Feel free to discuss!

::rocks

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

StefanKock1 wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:

Good on you Juan Luis!
Concert released in 1992 as 'Take These Chains From My Heart' (2 last songs missing) and this particular version as a bonus track on the more recent Straight Arrow release The King Holds Court (3cd, bonus on cd 1).

This is the 'My Boy (false start) - What A Friend We Have In Jesus (excerpt) - My Boy (false start) - Release Me - My Boy' version.
If I recall correctly - without checking the original tape - the show was at least an hour long because the tape finished on 60 minutes half way through 'Johnny B'. A great show in my view, and SA made these tracks sound as good as they can get (the original tape is very bass-heavy but still clear as a bell).

If someone wants to make a CD out of this show, I'll buy it. A soundboard would nice too!

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

My favourite live version of My Boy is the August 20, 1973 (Monday - Midnight Show) in Las Vegas, as included on "A Profile: The King On Stage Volume 1 CD" :smt020. This live recording was recorded before the studio version on December 1973. Bye for now :smt006.

What happned to the former topic? Rumour is that it was ambushed ...

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

GLAISTER wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

What happned to the former topic? Rumour is that it was ambushed ...
This one is going pretty swell. ::rocks Let us keep it that way.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Another vote for 2-12-1977. Short and sweet.

fn2drive
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION

Post by fn2drive »

The best live version was during the 68 sitdowns. 'My Boy, My Boy'. Either show is equally good. And no bombast.

Hack n. 1. a person, esp. a professional, who surrenders individual independence, integrity, belief, etc., in return for money or other reward

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Topic author
Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

As I wrote in the first topic, my favorite live version of "My Boy" is the May 6, 1975, version, followed by the March 28, 1975, midnight show.

GLAISTER

Post by GLAISTER »

[quote="drjohncarpenter"]Looks like someone did some "winter cleaning." Nice!

My "favorite" live rendition is the same one I posted ON TOPIC yesterday, which "disappeared":

2-12-1977 (Sat)

I choose it because it is the shortest of the very few versions Presley did on stage after the song was officially released in March 1974.

Feel free to discuss!

We all know 'My Boy' is one of your favourite Elvis songs Doc!!

Being factually correct - without meaning to be pedantic, we all appreciate the value of facts on this forum - the '77 one-liner to which you refer is not one of the "few" versions of the song he did live after it's release: 'My Boy' was a regular feature of Elvis' shows all the way from March through August of '75 - I haven't counted, but it must be at least 30 or 40 performances over this time period. I have a feeling he might also have done it (or tried to do it) once or twice in '76 as well but it's so long since I listened to my old AR tapes I couldn't give you dates.

The version - or one liner - to which you refer - I assume you would still buy it if FTD issued it from a soundboard ?!

You did say feel free to discuss ... !!! :D

Topic author
StefanKock1

Post by StefanKock1 »

GLAISTER wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Looks like someone did some "winter cleaning." Nice!

2-12-1977 (Sat)

Feel free to discuss!

We all know 'My Boy' is one of your favourite Elvis songs Doc!!

Being factually correct - without meaning to be pedantic, we all appreciate the value of facts on this forum - the '77 one-liner to which you refer is not one of the "few" versions of the song he did live after it's release: 'My Boy' was a regular feature of Elvis' shows all the way from March through August of '75 - I haven't counted, but it must be at least 30 or 40 performances over this time period. I have a feeling he might also have done it (or tried to do it) once or twice in '76 as well but it's so long since I listened to my old AR tapes I couldn't give you dates.

The version - or one liner - to which you refer - I assume you would still buy it if FTD issued it from a soundboard ?!

You did say feel free to discuss ... !!! :D
Going by the database from élvisconcerts.com' Elvis performed 'My Boy' live 70 times:

- 1973: 34x
- 1974: 1x
- 1975: 35x

No known performances, excerpts or one liners are currently known to exist from 1976, and the single one liner from 1977 is all we have after the final (full) performance (so far) on December 3rd 1975. It has to be noted also that 'my Boy' was performed 30 times between March 18th 1975 and May 6th 1975 (first Vegas season and first tour of 1975). The remaining 5 performances took place in August (Vegas / 3x) and December (Vegas / 2x).

Just adding some additional facts. I agree that performing a song 70 times can't be called 'a few versions'.