Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: What is the recent FTD you have bought or listened to?

Wed May 24, 2017 7:51 pm

poormadpeter2 wrote:It's Midnight. While I don't own the other August 1974 releases, from the samples that are available, It's Midnight still seems to me the best sounding official release from that engagement. I seem to remember some of the later, rambling shows (that would never get an official release) sound better still, but Elvis's performances were over the top by this point. It's Midnight is a remarkably good single-disc representation of Elvis's August 1974 season, containing most of the live rarities that make that season popular among fans, and with Elvis in surprisingly good form - lurching in some cases towards over-singing, but not yet so far there that it take over the show as it would less than a week later.

I gave 'It's Midnight' another listen based on your comments and whilst it does have great sound quality, I have to disagree with your assessment of the contents. I found the performances not that great on the whole, and the track listing fairly unexciting, save a few exceptions.

I followed the 'It's Midnight' disc by listening to the opening show from the same season, 19th August 1974, as found on disc 1 of 'Nevada Nights'. This show is infinitely better, both in terms of level of performance and in terms of a far more interesting set list, even though Big Boss Man made for a terrible choice of show opener.

Thu May 25, 2017 6:56 pm

I have been listening to this one today! It's a good show, like you can expect from the August Las Vegas engagement of this year! I really love the setlist as it contains some great songs (Big Boss Man, It's Midnight, If You Talk In Your Sleep, I'm Leavin'). I really think Elvis was very professional here and really gave a lot of the songs a effort, something which couldn't be said about some of the shows in the following months. What really stands out to me on this concert is his performance of Bridge Over Troubled Water which is easily as good as his version on That's the Way It Is....I think the last real good concert he did in this year was the one august 30, although he started to have much longer dialogues and talking a lot about Karate at that point. After that it went all downhill and Elvis wouldn't get back in form before march 75.
The audio on this one is pretty good...I think it's better than the It's Midnight CD that covers the concert 4 days later....

18720997_459518801053718_2045492850_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 27, 2017 6:05 pm

"Pot Luck".... again...

Sat May 27, 2017 6:14 pm

Scoobie wrote:"Pot Luck".... again...

I've also been listening to the "Pot Luck" FTD, following the current discussion about the album on this forum.

Sun May 28, 2017 12:29 am

goldbelt wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:It's Midnight. While I don't own the other August 1974 releases, from the samples that are available, It's Midnight still seems to me the best sounding official release from that engagement. I seem to remember some of the later, rambling shows (that would never get an official release) sound better still, but Elvis's performances were over the top by this point. It's Midnight is a remarkably good single-disc representation of Elvis's August 1974 season, containing most of the live rarities that make that season popular among fans, and with Elvis in surprisingly good form - lurching in some cases towards over-singing, but not yet so far there that it take over the show as it would less than a week later.

I gave 'It's Midnight' another listen based on your comments and whilst it does have great sound quality, I have to disagree with your assessment of the contents. I found the performances not that great on the whole, and the track listing fairly unexciting, save a few exceptions.

I followed the 'It's Midnight' disc by listening to the opening show from the same season, 19th August 1974, as found on disc 1 of 'Nevada Nights'. This show is infinitely better, both in terms of level of performance and in terms of a far more interesting set list, even though Big Boss Man made for a terrible choice of show opener.

We'll have to disagree on that one! I find the opening show very lacklustre performance-wise, despite the rare songs.

I had Our Memories of Elvis on today, which is a rather pleasant listen - but what the hell is that organ on Promised Land all about?!

Sun May 28, 2017 3:01 am

Just listened to the FTD release "New Haven '76." It's an entertaining show and was nice to hear it again. It was nice to hear a longer version of Early Morning Rain. The FTD team did a nice job with the sound on this release.

rlj

Wed May 31, 2017 10:18 pm

Totally enjoying this one tonight...this is a pretty cool FTD from the Opening and Closing shows of the early 1970 Las Vegas engagement. It's the same season that brought us Elvis On Stage. Some cool performances here. The opening show here was the first and only time Elvis performed True Love Travels on a Gravel Road and he did great. It's a shame he didn't do that one more often....The package is great as is the 16-page booklet. I can wholeheartedly recomend this one!
18837044_463030067369258_7267374050216555784_o.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 pm

A used copy of "Spring Tourrs '77" arrived in my mailbox yesterday. It was the earliest FTD title which I had not yet snagged.

I don't like taking potshats at Elvis at this stage of his career, but the most positive spin I can put on this release is that I appreciate the diligence it took to parse all of these multitrack tapes to compile this disc, and that I'm grateful that FTD was willing to put it out there. From a historical perspective, the disc indicates exactly what RCA was forced to deal with at a time when they were simply trying to squeeze a full-length album out of what was remaining from the Jungle Room sessions.

Ultimately, however, it remains distressing to hear Elvis in this condition.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:58 pm

I haven't listened to any FTD CDs in months. When was the last time? February, March? January? Anyway, today I played Fame and Fortune for the first time since Adam and Eve got tossed out of the garden. The numerous clicks and pops still bother me, but it's a nice collection. Then I played Hot August Night, which obviously is a fantastic concert, one of the very best issued by any artist. Then I went for Memphis Sessions, which I haven't played in years. Surprisingly strong collection. Forgot how much I loved that CD back in the day.

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:18 am

The thread regarding "Double Trouble" has inspired my listening for this morning.
IMG_0496.JPG

Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:55 am

"Elvis Gold Records - Volume 2"

Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:40 am

I just re-visited the ELVIS FOR EVERYONE! release. Nicely packaged and sounding very good. I especially like the second disc with lots of previously unreleased outtakes. 8)

Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:22 pm

Inspired by the new A Boy From Tupelo Album thread and the op who started this thread. A big thank you to Scoobie by the way. After seeing his set-up I decided to upgrade my own. So this is streaming via a Samsung Tab and a brand new Synology Ds216Play via my Marantz amp which in turn will be added to in the near future.

Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:15 pm

rollinson1 wrote:Inspired by the new A Boy From Tupelo Album thread and the op who started this thread. A big thank you to Scoobie by the way. After seeing his set-up I decided to upgrade my own. So this is streaming via a Samsung Tab and a brand new Synology Ds216Play via my Marantz amp which in turn will be added to in the near future.

Hi, glad to have helped in some small way. I bet you are pleased with the result!

Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:08 pm

Scoobie wrote:
rollinson1 wrote:Inspired by the new A Boy From Tupelo Album thread and the op who started this thread. A big thank you to Scoobie by the way. After seeing his set-up I decided to upgrade my own. So this is streaming via a Samsung Tab and a brand new Synology Ds216Play via my Marantz amp which in turn will be added to in the near future.

Hi, glad to have helped in some small way. I bet you are pleased with the result!

Yes, miles better than the wd cloud I was using previously. Thanks again.

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:46 am

Las Vegas 1975... I really enjoyed the April Fools show

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:02 pm

I've been listening to this one last night....I bought this back in the day because this has the only live version ever of 'Where No One Stands Alone'. Also it has the only live version of 'Moody Blue' which however is a very mediocre performance......I love this CD nevertheless.....
19024525_467507233588208_1651544331_o.jpg

Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:08 pm

goldbelt wrote:

Add this one and it would round out a great trilogy....this one has the rehearsals for that concert season.....
18721096_459518804387051_1708368511_o.jpg

Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:50 pm

AmericanKenpoRichard wrote:I've been listening to this one last night....I bought this back in the day because this has the only live version ever of 'Where No One Stands Alone'. Also it has the only live version of 'Moody Blue' which however is a very mediocre performance......I love this CD nevertheless.....

You should try and seek out the great Fort Baxter release "Moody Blue and Other Hits" which has Where No Stands Alone without the glitch at the beginning.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Just got these hot from the press....the Too Much Monkey Business LP is awesome!!!! I have to listen to Roustabout yet, but the package on this one is fantastic!

20046352_486333288372269_7109447312016384780_n.jpg

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Mike C wrote:
AmericanKenpoRichard wrote:I've been listening to this one last night....I bought this back in the day because this has the only live version ever of 'Where No One Stands Alone'. Also it has the only live version of 'Moody Blue' which however is a very mediocre performance......I love this CD nevertheless.....

You should try and seek out the great Fort Baxter release "Moody Blue and Other Hits" which has Where No Stands Alone without the glitch at the beginning.

Yes I actually do have a cd-r copy of that.....still looking for a original....

Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:26 pm

AmericanKenpoRichard wrote:
Mike C wrote:

Yes I actually do have a cd-r copy of that.....still looking for a original....

The version without the glitch can also be found on ''Coming On Strong'' which might be easier to find.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:48 pm

goldbelt wrote:
Scoobie wrote:"Pot Luck".... again...

I've also been listening to the "Pot Luck" FTD, following the current discussion about the album on this forum.

It's "Pot Luck ... With Elvis" !!!! LOL

Gotta give this FTD some love.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 pm

“Elvis Is Back” FTD and a new Essential Elvis magazine, perfect combination.
C0CFE60D-4ACE-4E0F-928B-78CA2615213B.jpeg

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm

The Last Movies and the Tahoe discs. :smt020