Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

poormadpeter2

Re: Elvis , Jim Reeves, Camden and Legendary Performer

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If you look carefully at that site you will learn that the primary listing for that title absolutely supports the facts in my prior post.

In addition, to suggest RCA would release a major archival title on a prominent American artist, with extensive previously-unissued material, in a foreign country a year before giving it a U.S. launch is completely absurd.

You're mistaken, be as gracious about it as I was in correcting your error and you'll be better respected around here.
Clearly you ...
Clearly, being gracious is simply not a consideration for you, even when asked. Note that I have presented twice as many resources, and also vetted your reference, which is compelling for those who care about the facts.
Vetted my reference? Yeah, right. And all your resources show is that the AMERICAN release was later - it does not prove the album didn't come out elsewhere first. So congrats for that.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

poormadpeter2 wrote:Vetted my reference? Yeah, right. And all your resources show is that the AMERICAN release was later - it does not prove the album didn't come out elsewhere first. So congrats for that.
Yes, I did. My two resources list the FIRST release of the set, it came out in the U.S. before anywhere else. As noted, it appeared in late 1974-early 1975. In addition, I have found three more sources to support the facts:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/glenn-miller-a-legendary-performer.14510/
https://kimsloans.wordpress.com/colorado-local/colorado-1960s/colo-musicians-les-nei/glenn-miller/glenn-miller-discography/
http://www.bigbandlibrary.com/collectorschecklists33smillerglenn.html

This puts me at 5 times as many references as you have offered. In addition, one not only lists the U.S. version, it also lists the Japanese title. Look closely at what it says:

RCA Vic CPM2-0693, Glenn Miller: A Legendary Performer, 1974 2-LPs
RCA (E) DPM-2065, Glenn Miller: A Legendary Performer, 1974 2-LPs
RCA (J) RA-9041~42, Glenn Miller: A Legendary Performer, 1975 2-LPs

But wait. There's more!

The RCA double LP set was produced by U.S. jazz writer and former Glenn Miller drummer George T. Simon, who also published a book on Miller at the same time as the LP release, late 1974, called Glenn Miller and His Orchestra.

741111_Glenn Miller book.JPG
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_T._Simon
https://www.amazon.com/Glenn-Miller-Orchestra-George-Simon/dp/0491015011/

And -- guess what -- the book cover art is almost identical to the RCA release.

741211_Glenn Miller album.JPG
How about that? Again, these are not a series of coincidences: a double album of ALL unreleased Miller performances, a major new book on the artist, both created under the auspices of the same man, both using essentially the same cover art. These were clearly released at the same time. And neither came out in Japan first.

Our final tally here: five sources, plus two additional, compelling arguments. It looks like I'm not the one who needs to "do some reading."

Enjoy.

::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

clambake1967 wrote:Always think that Elvis A legendary performer vol.1 was the first in a series of albums dedicate to Rca artists.
Maybe was released exactly the same day that Miller album. January 2 , 1974. Anyway all these albums were ready for release from late december 1973 so technically were made in 1973. Cover and record. Maybe both titles were released at the same day? I dont know for sure.
No, Elvis' LP came out in January 1974, and Glenn's in late December 1974.

See the post above for all the details!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
clambake1967
Registered for: 10 years 9 months

Post by clambake1967 »

Perfect. Elvis A Legendary performer vol.1 was the first album of these series of many Rca artists.

drjohncarpenter

clambake1967 wrote:Perfect. Elvis A Legendary performer vol.1 was the first album of these series of many Rca artists.
Yes indeed!

Note that I have no idea when Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 1 was released in Japan, but maybe some of our other esteemed members can chime in on that.

Or maybe they'll just stay quiet. :D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Vetted my reference? Yeah, right. And all your resources show is that the AMERICAN release was later - it does not prove the album didn't come out elsewhere first. So congrats for that.
Yes, I did. My two resources list the FIRST release of the set, it came out in the U.S. before anywhere else. As noted, it appeared in late 1974-early 1975. In addition, I have found three more sources to support the facts:

https://kimsloans.wordpress.com/colorado-local/colorado-1960s/colo-musicians-les-nei/glenn-miller/glenn-miller-discography/

This puts me at 5 times as many references as you have offered. In addition, one not only lists the U.S. version, it also lists the Japanese title. Look closely at what it says:

But wait. There's more!

The RCA double LP set was produced by U.S. jazz writer and former Glenn Miller drummer George T. Simon, who also published a book on Miller at the same time as the LP release, late 1974, called Glenn Miller and His Orchestra.

How about that? Again, these are not a series of coincidences: a double album of ALL unreleased Miller performances, a major new book on the artist, both created under the auspices of the same man, both using essentially the same cover art. These were clearly released at the same time. And neither came out in Japan first.

Our final tally here: five sources, plus two additional, compelling arguments. It looks like I'm not the one who needs to "do some reading."

Enjoy.

Ah, the book cover and the LP cover are almost identical. I see. And how has claiming two pictures to be alike worked out for you recently? Have you compared Miller's chin on each cover? How about his earlobe?

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter2 wrote:Ah ...
It must really burn you up how many times you rudely challenge a simple fact correction I offer, and then I prove it true many times over.

Bummer.

:D

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Ah ...
It must really burn you up how many times you rudely challenge a simple fact correction I offer, and then I prove it true many times over.

Bummer.

Believe me, I've corrected you far more than you have corrected me. But hey, if I make a mistake, I don't ask for a thread to be deleted.

Now, how is that chin doing? :wink:

TINML
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by TINML »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

But wait. There's more!

Enjoy.

Ah, the book cover and the LP cover are almost identical. I see. And how has claiming two pictures to be alike worked out for you recently? Have you compared Miller's chin on each cover? How about his earlobe?
Much love for the Doc but you just went for the jugular!!

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It must really burn you up how many times you rudely challenge a simple fact correction I offer, and then I prove it true many times over.

Bummer.

Believe me, I've corrected you far more than you have corrected me. But hey, if I make a mistake, I don't ask for a thread to be deleted.
Only in your dreams. Such hubris, when the search function can destroy you in an instant.

And no thread has been deleted at my request. You want me to prove you're wrong about that as well?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TINML

Post by TINML »

If I may ask respectfully , where's the Rainmaker costar thread ?

"We can do what we want, we can live as we chose. You see, there's no guarantee, we've got nothing to lose.."

drjohncarpenter

TINML wrote:If I may ask respectfully , where's the Rainmaker costar thread ?
It is apparently being dealt with after the usual suspects turned it into a "bash the Doc" party. FECC has all kinds, you know.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TINML

Post by TINML »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
It is apparently being dealt with after the usual suspects turned it into a "bash the Doc" party. FECC has all kinds, you know.
Well I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it again !

drjohncarpenter

TINML wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Me too, I put a lot of time and effort into posting it up. But the usual suspects cannot stand when I come up with something new and interesting to discuss on an artist who has been dead for nearly 40 years.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

TeddyGirl
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by TeddyGirl »

TINML wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fortunately, I saved it all before it "disappeared"!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TINML wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Me too, I put a lot of time and effort into posting it up. But the usual suspects cannot stand when I come up with something new and interesting to discuss on an artist who has been dead for nearly 40 years.
It wasn't something new, it was an hallucination!

drjohncarpenter

TeddyGirl wrote:Fortunately, I saved it all before it "disappeared"!
It "reappeared"!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95064

However, do make sure to save all the Glenn Miller: A Legendary Performer information I shared here.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

Greybeard wrote:The RCA Camden line of budget albums was started in the fifties- there were many artists in the catalog. Jim Reeves was one of them.
The appearance of Elvis on the label was quite startling for those of us who were around when they first appeared.

I believe the move was spurred on by the success of the ELVIS SINGS FLAMING STAR on the RCA Special Products label in association with the Singer special.

The Legendary Performer series was a marketing tool by RCA to showcase the many great artists on their roster at one point or another.
The reason why Elvis had so many Camden releases was because his contract with Colonel stipulated that Camden releases were viewed as extra deals of which Elvis and Colonel split the royalties 50/50. Thus making it very profitable for Colonel to release them. The worst one being, of course, Burning Love and Hits From Movies which included some of the worst movie songs with Elvis's massive current hit. The songs were probably chosen for the album because Elvis and Colonel owned the publising on them (at least most of them). It was all about $$$.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

drjohncarpenter

Marko wrote:The reason why Elvis had so many Camden releases was because his contract with Colonel stipulated that Camden releases were viewed as extra deals of which Elvis and Colonel split the royalties 50/50. Thus making it very profitable for Colonel to release them. The worst one being, of course, Burning Love and Hits From Movies which included some of the worst movie songs with Elvis's massive current hit. The songs were probably chosen for the album because Elvis and Colonel owned the publising on them (at least most of them). It was all about $$$.
Certainly the "mop up" nature of the Camden titles was all about making profit from rejected or obscure masters. The ones after 1970 were pretty awful, without a doubt.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

A number of RCA artists had similar amounts of Camden releases to Elvis, most notably Perry Como, Chet Atkins, and Jim Reeves.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Marko wrote:
Greybeard wrote:The RCA Camden line of budget albums was started in the fifties- there were many artists in the catalog. Jim Reeves was one of them.
The appearance of Elvis on the label was quite startling for those of us who were around when they first appeared.

I believe the move was spurred on by the success of the ELVIS SINGS FLAMING STAR on the RCA Special Products label in association with the Singer special.

The Legendary Performer series was a marketing tool by RCA to showcase the many great artists on their roster at one point or another.
The reason why Elvis had so many Camden releases was because his contract with Colonel stipulated that Camden releases were viewed as extra deals of which Elvis and Colonel split the royalties 50/50. Thus making it very profitable for Colonel to release them. The worst one being, of course, Burning Love and Hits From Movies which included some of the worst movie songs with Elvis's massive current hit. The songs were probably chosen for the album because Elvis and Colonel owned the publising on them (at least most of them). It was all about $$$.
Music business isn't about anything else. That was the Colonels job. The artistic side was on the shoulders of. Let me guess... The artist? Elvis sold out.

brian
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by brian »

Juan Luis wrote:Music business isn't about anything else. That was the Colonels job. The artistic side was on the shoulders of. Let me guess... The artist? Elvis sold out.
Record labels do release material that their artists don't want released and saying Elvis sold out over that is harsh.

drjohncarpenter

Juan Luis wrote:
Marko wrote:The reason why Elvis had so many Camden releases was because his contract with Colonel stipulated that Camden releases were viewed as extra deals of which Elvis and Colonel split the royalties 50/50. Thus making it very profitable for Colonel to release them. The worst one being, of course, Burning Love and Hits From Movies which included some of the worst movie songs with Elvis's massive current hit. The songs were probably chosen for the album because Elvis and Colonel owned the publising on them (at least most of them). It was all about $$$.
Music business isn't about anything else. That was the Colonels job. The artistic side was on the shoulders of. Let me guess... The artist? Elvis sold out.
Not true.

Some in the music business were also deeply invested in the music, such as Ahmet Ertegun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahmet_Ertegun#Early_career

That's just one example.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

Juan Luis wrote:
Marko wrote:

Colonel was a very weak manager as far as artistic values are considered. Different kind of manager would have taken into consideration other factors than just quick buck. Besides, some of the decisions Parker made were destructive to Elvis' career in the long run. Colonel was not doing his job in that regard. Elvis also could have been more active in his own record releases but one might also argue that he was given very poor advice from his management.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Marko wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
Marko wrote:

Colonel was a very weak manager as far as artistic values are considered. Different kind of manager would have taken into consideration other factors than just quick buck. Besides, some of the decisions Parker made were destructive to Elvis' career in the long run. Colonel was not doing his job in that regard. Elvis also could have been more active in his own record releases but one might also argue that he was given very poor advice from his management.
But that's what Elvis got. A manager to a new genre of music called rock and roll. The Colonel was "managing rock stars 101" in what to do.. and what not to do. It was unexplored territory.
But Elvis didn't say wait a minute, don't put my hit single on a budget album. He was not loving of "Burning Love". With Elvis's state of mind with separation, he could of in my opinion, resented the fact it became hit. That would mean he would have to perform it live.