Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
clambake1967
Registered for: 10 years 8 months

Elvis , Jim Reeves, Camden and Legendary Performer

Post by clambake1967 »

In the sixties Jim Reeves after his death came first with a long series of Camden albums released with music added to basic tracks. So Elvis arrived a few years later to his Camden releases. Someone can add more info?
And in the 70s was Elvis the first Rca artist with an A legendary performer album release. Because same Jim Reeves had a Legendary Performer album in 1976. More artists had those albums?
If someone can add all the facts to Camden albums story and to Legendary Performer series story will be great.

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Re: Elvis , Jim Reeves, Camden and Legendary Performer

Post by rickeap »

I remember my dad had Hank Snow Camden albums

charroman
Registered for: 9 years 3 months

Post by charroman »

I had always assumed the Camden releases of Jim's stuff and other artists were compilations of previously released tracks ? However I have recently come across some Charlie Rich albums that appear to have seen first issue in this country on the Camden label and those featured overdubs of some of his earlier tracks recorded on RCA subsidiary. So maybe it was the same story with Jim
The Legendary Performer series also covered other artists like Glenn Miller, Louis Armstrong, Caruso and Mario Lanza I believe and I read it was the success of the Elvis release that lead to more artists being covered albeit that few apart from Miller had more than one volume

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

clambake1967 wrote:In the sixties Jim Reeves after his death came first with a long series of Camden albums released with music added to basic tracks. So Elvis arrived a few years later to his Camden releases. Someone can add more info?
And in the 70s was Elvis the first Rca artist with an A legendary performer album release. Because same Jim Reeves had a Legendary Performer album in 1976. More artists had those albums?
If someone can add all the facts to Camden albums story and to Legendary Performer series story will be great.
Mario Lanza, Perry Como, Glen Miller, and other top RCA artists had Legendary Performer series. The ones I mentioned I saw myself.

Greybeard
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Greybeard »

The RCA Camden line of budget albums was started in the fifties- there were many artists in the catalog. Jim Reeves was one of them.
The appearance of Elvis on the label was quite startling for those of us who were around when they first appeared.

I believe the move was spurred on by the success of the ELVIS SINGS FLAMING STAR on the RCA Special Products label in association with the Singer special.

The Legendary Performer series was a marketing tool by RCA to showcase the many great artists on their roster at one point or another.

Greybeard

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

The Glenn Miller one Leg Perf came out in 1973.

Topic author
clambake1967

Post by clambake1967 »

poormadpeter2 wrote:The Glenn Miller one Leg Perf came out in 1973.

I think Miller album was released in 1974. Maybe made in 1973 ( as Elvis Legendary Performer vol 1) but released in 1974. Elvis album release date was January 2 , 1974.
Maybe Elvis album was the first of any artist in the series...

elvisalisellers
Registered for: 9 years 4 months

Post by elvisalisellers »

clambake1967 wrote:

I think Miller album was released in 1974. Maybe made in 1973 ( as Elvis Legendary Performer vol 1) but released in 1974.
Apparently first released [RCA ‎– RA - 9041~42 - 2xLP set] in Japan in 1973 > https://www.discogs.com/Glenn-Miller-And-His-Orchestra-A-Legendary-Performer/release/5706680

Puritan
Registered for: 9 years 5 months

Post by Puritan »

Jim Reeves actually recorded material specifically for a Camden release. Working under a smaller budget than Reeves's lush, full-priced RCA Victor releases, these sides showcase Reeves with a small rhythm section and sound much like his Abbott and early RCA singles. Chet Atkins also recorded material for Camden budget albums.

nicod98
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by nicod98 »

Puritan wrote:Jim Reeves actually recorded material specifically for a Camden release. Working under a smaller budget than Reeves's lush, full-priced RCA Victor releases, these sides showcase Reeves with a small rhythm section and sound much like his Abbott and early RCA singles. Chet Atkins also recorded material for Camden budget albums.
This actually makes collecting some artists songs a lot more difficult. Jim Reeves not only recorded new songs for Camden releases, but I believe he also "re-recorded" some tracks for Camden releases. He had a great voice, though. Wish he hard recorded even more songs.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

Reeves wasn't the only one to record for Camden. Jazz flautist Harold McNair recorded a Camden album too, with a wonderful cover!
471243.jpg
Dig that cravat! Great album, though, and quite a rarity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

No, the 2xLP Glenn Miller - A Legendary Performer (RCA Victor ‎– CPM2-0693-2) was released in late December 1974 - early January 1975. It began charting in Billboard with the January 31, 1975 issue, and reviews began to appear at the same time.

See:
https://books.google.com/books?id=MigEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA64&lpg=PA64
https://archive.org/stream/RecordResearch132/RR132_djvu.txt

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
No, the 2xLP Glenn Miller - A Legendary Performer (RCA Victor ‎– CPM2-0693-2) was released in late December 1974 - early January 1975. It began charting in Billboard with the January 31, 1975 issue, and reviews began to appear at the same time.

See:
No, the year of release was 1973 - in Japan. The album came out a year later in America.

Quite why you need to constantly argue everything is unknown.

https://www.discogs.com/Glenn-Miller-And-His-Orchestra-A-Legendary-Performer/master/287574

PiersEIN
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by PiersEIN »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
Not "unknown" to most people on FECC! :facep: :facep:
It is something certain types of people just have to do.

Cheers
Piers

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

See:
No, the year of release was 1973 - in Japan. The album came out a year later in America. I'm

https://www.discogs.com/Glenn-Miller-And-His-Orchestra-A-Legendary-Performer/master/287574
If you look carefully at that site you will learn that the primary listing for that title absolutely supports the facts in my prior post.

In addition, to suggest RCA would release a major archival title on a prominent American artist, with extensive previously-unissued material, in a foreign country a year before giving it a U.S. launch is completely absurd.

You're mistaken, be as gracious about it as I was in correcting your error and you'll be better respected around here.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Nothing absurd about releasing titles of a major American RCA artist in other countries. Many of Elvis' CD debuts happened in Japan years before the U.S.. IIRC, Australia had a few, even exclusive for a time as "Guitar Man" and "Greatest Hits".

drjohncarpenter

Juan Luis wrote:Nothing absurd about releasing titles of a major American RCA artist in other countries. Many of Elvis' CD debuts happened in Japan years before the U.S.. IIRC, Australia had a few, even exclusive for a time as "Guitar Man" and "Greatest Hits".
You are completely missing the point I made, and thus completely mistaken. Can someone help him out here?

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:Nothing absurd about releasing titles of a major American RCA artist in other countries. Many of Elvis' CD debuts happened in Japan years before the U.S.. IIRC, Australia had a few, even exclusive for a time as "Guitar Man" and "Greatest Hits".
You are completely missing the point I made, and thus completely mistaken. Can someone help him out here?
Did you also miss/forget the "Sun Sessions" by Elvis released in the UK one year before RCA USA? Can someone help him out here?

drjohncarpenter

Juan Luis wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You are completely missing the point I made, and thus completely mistaken. Can someone help him out here?
Did you also miss/forget the "Sun Sessions" by Elvis released in the UK one year before RCA USA? Can someone help him out here?

The title released in 1975 in the U.K. was called The Sun Collection, and everything on it was previously-released.

You are completely missing the point I made, try reading my comments with some care.

Or get someone to help you. Thanks.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Topic author
clambake1967

Post by clambake1967 »

Always think that Elvis A legendary performer vol.1 was the first in a series of albums dedicate to Rca artists.
Maybe was released exactly the same day that Miller album. January 2 , 1974. Anyway all these albums were ready for release from late december 1973 so technically were made in 1973. Cover and record. Maybe both titles were released at the same day? I dont know for sure.

jetblack
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by jetblack »

The official release of this material on these 2 EP's was released first in the UK in 1982 then on 'Rare Elvis Vol. 3' in 1983.

Collectors Gold EP (Oct 1982)

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

Topic author
clambake1967

Post by clambake1967 »

Always think that Elvis A legendary performer vol.1 was the first in a series of albums dedicate to Rca artists.
Maybe was released exactly the same day that Miller album. January 2 , 1974. Anyway all these albums were ready for release from late december 1973 so technically were made in 1973. Cover and record. Maybe both titles were released at the same day? I dont know for sure.

poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

See:
No, the year of release was 1973 - in Japan. The album came out a year later in America. I'm

If you look carefully at that site you will learn that the primary listing for that title absolutely supports the facts in my prior post.

In addition, to suggest RCA would release a major archival title on a prominent American artist, with extensive previously-unissued material, in a foreign country a year before giving it a U.S. launch is completely absurd.

You're mistaken, be as gracious about it as I was in correcting your error and you'll be better respected around here.
Clearly you are completely unaware of just how popular jazz and swing was in Japan compared to America during this period. Do some reading.

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by joshferrell »

I saw a Henry Mancini Legendary Performer album at the flea market and like Elvis it was a mixture of hits with unreleased tracks,,,I have a mamas and papas Pickwik album, not sure if that is the same as a Camden album or not, although I know they are similar type releases...I also could swear that I saw a Beach Boys Camden release that was more or less a "Generic Greatest Hits" type thing although maybe not since they were part of capitol ecords so maybe I'm thinking Pickwik....

drjohncarpenter

poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If you look carefully at that site you will learn that the primary listing for that title absolutely supports the facts in my prior post.

Clearly you ...
Clearly, being gracious is simply not a consideration for you, even when asked. Note that I have presented twice as many resources, and also vetted your reference, which is compelling for those who care about the facts.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.