Bobby Vee has died

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Jaime1234
Registered for: 12 years 6 months

Re: Bobby Vee has died

Post by Jaime1234 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:And here, in a 2009 Goldmine interview with Craig Moore, Bobby talks about Elvis:
You had a lot of what I think were 2-sided masterpieces: ‘Run To Him” / “Walkin’ With My Angel,” “Stayin In” / “More Than I Can Say,” “Rubber Ball” / “Everyday,” “Punish Her” / “Someday” — lots of them. Most of them.

Snuffy liked to record and so did I. There was a time when the B-side might save you. You put all that effort into making records and then not to give people an A-side and a B-side, I loved that. I used to go into someplace in Fargo and put the nickel in the jukebox, listen to Elvis Presley on the jukebox for 4 days and then flip the record over. A lot of my stuff was B-sides and I was glad to have them, they paid the same as the A-side.

[snip]

I’ve learned over the years as a songwriter that trying to write something like a “Run To Him” with a naturally flowing hook, is really a trick. Something like that either comes to you or it doesn’t.

I’m trying not to sound bitter, but you know, sandwiched in between the free-flowing years of rockabilly and rock ‘n’ roll, and then the unbelievable great songs and exciting era of The Beatles, and that little late 50’s & especially early 60’s time period, it isn’t either of those things, but what it is is so simple that it gets overlooked, I think.

This has been my opinion all along, even as far as Elvis goes. To me Elvis Presley’s best records came after he got out of the Army. I mean, just his delivery. “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” and “Surrender” and “Little Sister,” “His Latest Flame,” “She’s Not You,” even some of the early movie songs like “Follow That Dream” and “King Of The Whole Wide World” that I list among my all-time favorites. But, rock ‘n’ roll purists think that after 1957 there isn’t anything any good. I think this is so far off base it’s laughable.

Unbelievable. He was fired up again. You’re right, just try to write one of those songs.

http://www.goldminemag.com/article/bobby-vee-wouldnt-change-a-thing-part-5
Fantastic, many thanks, I shall include it in the wikiquote page.

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

Jaime1234 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:And here, in a 2009 Goldmine interview with Craig Moore, Bobby talks about Elvis:
You had a lot of what I think were 2-sided masterpieces: ‘Run To Him” / “Walkin’ With My Angel,” “Stayin In” / “More Than I Can Say,” “Rubber Ball” / “Everyday,” “Punish Her” / “Someday” — lots of them. Most of them.

Snuffy liked to record and so did I. There was a time when the B-side might save you. You put all that effort into making records and then not to give people an A-side and a B-side, I loved that. I used to go into someplace in Fargo and put the nickel in the jukebox, listen to Elvis Presley on the jukebox for 4 days and then flip the record over. A lot of my stuff was B-sides and I was glad to have them, they paid the same as the A-side.

[snip]

I’ve learned over the years as a songwriter that trying to write something like a “Run To Him” with a naturally flowing hook, is really a trick. Something like that either comes to you or it doesn’t.

I’m trying not to sound bitter, but you know, sandwiched in between the free-flowing years of rockabilly and rock ‘n’ roll, and then the unbelievable great songs and exciting era of The Beatles, and that little late 50’s & especially early 60’s time period, it isn’t either of those things, but what it is is so simple that it gets overlooked, I think.

This has been my opinion all along, even as far as Elvis goes. To me Elvis Presley’s best records came after he got out of the Army. I mean, just his delivery. “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” and “Surrender” and “Little Sister,” “His Latest Flame,” “She’s Not You,” even some of the early movie songs like “Follow That Dream” and “King Of The Whole Wide World” that I list among my all-time favorites. But, rock ‘n’ roll purists think that after 1957 there isn’t anything any good. I think this is so far off base it’s laughable.

Unbelievable. He was fired up again. You’re right, just try to write one of those songs.

I have just added it, as follows

* To me Elvis Presley’s best records came after he got out of the Army. I mean, just his delivery. “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” and “Surrender” and “Little Sister,” “His Latest Flame,” “She’s Not You,” even some of the early movie songs like “Follow That Dream” and “King Of The Whole Wide World” that I list among my all-time favorites. But, rock ‘n’ roll purists think that after 1957 there isn’t anything any good. I think this is so far off base it’s laughable.
** [[w:Bobby Vee|Bobby Vee]], in an interview with Goldmine, published on May 14, 2009
Last edited by Jaime1234 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Jaime1234 wrote:Suspicion was first known as a single by Stafford, although written for Elvis. Again, I was not referring to covers of songs, but whether Vee was ever influenced by, spoke to, or even saw Presley, at any point in their careers
"Suspicion" was first recorded and released by Elvis Presley in 1962.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:Suspicion was first known as a single by Stafford, although written for Elvis. Again, I was not referring to covers of songs, but whether Vee was ever influenced by, spoke to, or even saw Presley, at any point in their careers
"Suspicion" was first recorded and released by Elvis Presley in 1962.
}} Right, in an album, but I was talking about a sIngle.

drjohncarpenter

Jaime1234 wrote:I have just added it, as follows

* To me Elvis Presley’s best records came after he got out of the Army. I mean, just his delivery. “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” and “Surrender” and “Little Sister,” “His Latest Flame,” “She’s Not You,” even some of the early movie songs like “Follow That Dream” and “King Of The Whole Wide World” that I list among my all-time favorites. But, rock ‘n’ roll purists think that after 1957 there isn’t anything any good. I think this is so far off base it’s laughable.
** [[w:Bobby Vee|Bobby Vee]], in an interview with Goldmone, published on May 14, 2009
You need to remove it. Those are words of the Goldmine interviewer, Craig Moore, not Vee.

The questions are in bold, the answers are not. I suggest you click the link I also provided and read the page.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Jaime1234 wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:

[snip]

I have just added it, as follows

** [[w:Bobby Vee|Bobby Vee]], in an interview with Goldmine, published on May 14, 2009
So I guess Bobby Vee and John Lennon did not see eye to eye on at least this one subject!

drjohncarpenter

skatterbrane wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote: I have just added it, as follows

** []w:Bobby Vee|Bobby Vee], in an interview with Goldmine, published on May 14, 2009
So I guess Bobby Vee and John Lennon did not see eye to eye on at least this one subject!
Here we go with the Beatles yet again.

FYI, that isn't a quote from Bobby Vee.

:roll:

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:I have just added it, as follows

** [[w:Bobby Vee|Bobby Vee]], in an interview with Goldmone, published on May 14, 2009
You need to remove it. Those are words of the Goldmine interviewer, Craig Moore, not Vee.

The questions are in bold, the answers are not. I suggest you click the link I also provided and read the page.
Never mind, I will just credit the interviewer, as there is little of substance said by Vee.

To me Elvis Presley’s best records came after he got out of the Army. I mean, just his delivery. “Are You Lonesome Tonight,” and “Surrender” and “Little Sister,” “His Latest Flame,” “She’s Not You,” even some of the early movie songs like “Follow That Dream” and “King Of The Whole Wide World” that I list among my all-time favorites. But, rock ‘n’ roll purists think that after 1957 there isn’t anything any good. I think this is so far off base it’s laughable.[/color]
** [[w:Craig Moore|Craig Moore]], expressing his own views to singer Bobby Vee, for Goldmine, and in an article published on May 14, 2009[/quote]

drjohncarpenter

Actually, Bobby Vee's Elvis-related comments are substantial. That's why I found and included them on this topic.

It's insightful to learn how Elvis' B-sides inspired him, and his appreciation for some of the work Presley did in his first year or two after the army, especially the quality of the single material, indicates how he directed his own career at that time.

Quoting the interviewer's statements makes little sense to me.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Tony C
Registered for: 9 years 10 months
Mood:

Post by Tony C »

Bobby Vee was a regular visitor to the UK before illness forced his retirement. He always put on a great show and was the most charming man anybody could ever hope to meet. Very sad to hear of his passing.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote: I have just added it, as follows

** []w:Bobby Vee|Bobby Vee], in an interview with Goldmine, published on May 14, 2009
Here we go with the Beatles yet again.

FYI, that isn't a quote from Bobby Vee.

:roll:
I get it. I was making a joke that may be appreciated on more than one level "thank you for participating".

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:Actually, Bobby Vee's Elvis-related comments are substantial. That's why I found and included them on this topic.

It's insightful to learn how Elvis' B-sides inspired him, and his appreciation for some of the work Presley did in his first year or two after the army, especially the quality of the single material, indicates how he directed his own career at that time.

Quoting the interviewer's statements makes little sense to me.
Not to me, but thanks anyways. Maybe this one could do.

* There was a time when the B-side might save you. You put all that effort into making records and then not to give people an A-side and a B-side, I loved that. I used to go into someplace in Fargo and put the nickel in the jukebox, listen to Elvis on the jukebox for 4 days and then flip the record over. A lot of my stuff was B-sides and I was glad to have them, they paid the same as the A-side.
** []w:Bobby Vee|Bobby Vee], in an interview with Craig Moore, of Goldmine, as published on May 14, 2009

california boy
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by california boy »

I just heard the sad news few hours ago....another great artist passed away
Bobby has a good pleasant voice, very sweet songs, i love : "Take good care of my baby" , "The night has a thousand eyes" and more....
Ordered 2 of his LPs this morning....
R.I.P Bobby
:cry:

Singer - Songwriter
First album :"INSPIRATION OF THE TRUTH" - July 2011
Including songs such as : "Baby i want you " , "The Sands of time" , "Sad Rain", "When i dream" , "Vanilla candle" and more....
the album available here :
Buy it from : http://cdbaby.com/cd/liorb
"SAD RAIN " - from my 1st album, here on the following link :

2nd Album just released Nov 2012 - "MOMENTS IN TIME" - features a Special Christmas song: "Happy White Christmas"
NEW Album released DEC 2014 - "POT OF GOLD " - LIOR B - to order a copy please contact me, ill ship worldwide !

DENBOW
Registered for: 8 years 3 months

Post by DENBOW »

REST IN GODS HANDS NOW Bobby R I P :sosorry: :smt006

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

I like also Rubber Ball. RIP, Bobby.

buddy holly
Registered for: 19 years 7 months

Post by buddy holly »

I like his version of the Paul Anka classic Diana because of the drums (paradiddles like in Peggy Sue).

Bring joy, avoid misery and be grateful

Jaime1234

Post by Jaime1234 »