Bruce and Elvis in Philly - "Enjoying the show tremendously"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Re: Bruce and Elvis in Philly - "Enjoying the show tremendou

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Pink&Black wrote:Its funny, I just looked up the setlist for the Philly show Bruce attended and it doesn't add up to what he said about it. Now I am not here to diss Bruce.I saw him about 18 times, I love his music and I love how he always talks about Elvis respectfully. But he once said about the last concert he saw: "he looked old and he looked tired and I was hoping they would do all the old songs, but the songs they sang the best were American Trilogy which was a song about his country and How Great Thou Art which was about the God that he believed in". I am paraphrasing here. I used to have it on tape but I can't find it anymore. I think it was an introduction to the River but I am not sure about that. Anyway, at the Philly show Elvis didn't sing either song?! So I think he probably saw more shows and mixed them up, Either way gotta love Bruce for the way he loves Elvis 8)
Bruce is mixing up his memory of Philadelphia 1977 with his watching of the 1977 CBS special and 1981's "This Is Elvis," which feature these songs. He's spoken many times on stage about Elvis, and this is the 1981 concert monologue you refer to:

29.04.81 Rotterdam, The Netherlands, intro to "This Land Is Your Land"
"Back in, uh, in 19, I guess it was 77, we played in Memphis, Tennessee....and it was late at night and me and Steve, we got in this cab and the taxi driver was gonna take us down to Elvis´ house, Graceland....and I was standing outside and the gates were locked and we were looking through and there was like, there was like one light on and I said ´Steve, I gotta go see if he´s home´ and I, and the taxi driver said ´No, don´t, they got big dogs there, they´re gonna eat you up, don´t jump over the wall´ (chuckles) I jumped over the wall and I ran up the driveway and I got, I got right to the door and this guard came out of the woods and said ´What do you want?´ I said ´Is Elvis home?´ (chuckles) and he said ´No, no, he´s in Lake Tahoe´ and so I told him that I got a band and we just played in town and he said ´Ok, you gotta go, you gotta leave´ so we (chuckles) he brought me down to end of the gate and we got out and it was later....it wasn't too long after that that....that he died and....and the songs, when I seen him the last time, I seen him in Philadelphia and he looked old and he looked tired and the songs, the songs he sang the best, like he didn't, I remember going hoping that he was gonna do all the old rockers but the songs he sang the best was this song called ´American Trilogy,´ which was a song about his country, and there was another song called ´How Great Thou Art,´ which was about, about the God that he believed in and....this song, this song is written by Woody Guthrie and it´s a song about living free and....it´s a song about not having to, not having to die, not having to be 55 or 50 and not being able to find a job or having to die poor in some factory and about not having to die in some big million-dollar mansion with a whole lot of, whole lot of nothing running through your veins because he deserved a lot better than that...."

https://brucebase.wikispaces.com/Story+1981-04-29+Rotterdam,+The+Netherlands

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

Bruce has always been respectful of Elvis. In everything he says. even when he saw him in bad shape. never less than that. Unlike others. on twitter there is a word association list John Lennon filled out in 1976. He had to give one word answers to names of people. when it came to Elvis' name. His reply??? FAT....how respectful. :facep: :facep: :facep: :facep:

drjohncarpenter

DEH wrote:Bruce has always been respectful of Elvis. In everything he says. even when he saw him in bad shape. never less than that. Unlike others. on twitter there is a word association list John Lennon filled out in 1976. He had to give one word answers to names of people. when it came to Elvis' name. His reply??? FAT....how respectful. :facep: :facep: :facep: :facep:
Thanks for inserting a Beatles-related comparison into yet another topic.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
FrankieRider2 wrote:I like and appreciate that he takes the high road, much the same as Elvis did at his MSG press conference when questioned about other performers.

Makes me think more of Springsteen as a musician. And a man.
How can anyone, let alone an Elvis fan, not love Bruce Springsteen?

It's impossible!
Quite possible. I know lots of people, lots of musicians, who simply don't like Bruce Springsteen, let alone many young people who don't even know who he is.

But I'm an Elvis fan and I love Bruce Springsteen.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

drjohncarpenter

minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
FrankieRider2 wrote:I like and appreciate that he takes the high road, much the same as Elvis did at his MSG press conference when questioned about other performers.

It's impossible!
Quite possible. I know lots of people, lots of musicians, who simply don't like Bruce Springsteen, let alone many young people who don't even know who he is.

It's impossible for any sane, rational, loving person. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by minkahed »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It's impossible!

It's impossible for any sane, rational, loving person. ;-)
Uh huh, ri-i-i-te ....

Luv ya Doc.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

DEH
Registered for: 15 years 9 months

Post by DEH »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:Bruce has always been respectful of Elvis. In everything he says. even when he saw him in bad shape. never less than that. Unlike others. on twitter there is a word association list John Lennon filled out in 1976. He had to give one word answers to names of people. when it came to Elvis' name. His reply??? FAT....how respectful. :facep: :facep: :facep: :facep:
Thanks for inserting a Beatles-related comparison into yet another topic.
I am the last person to do that. :D but I thought a comparison was in order. Between a classy guy like Springsteen towards Elvis and someone who wasn't. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

TeddyGirl
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
TWO WEEK SUSPENSION
Registered for: 8 years 5 months

Post by TeddyGirl »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

It's impossible!

Thought you were about to burst into song!

drjohncarpenter

DEH wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks for inserting a Beatles-related comparison into yet another topic.
I am the last person to do that.
Anyone searching on posts by "DEH" will prove the lie in that sentence. Carry on.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.