Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Bruce and Elvis in Philly - "Enjoying the show tremendously"

Post by elvisjock »

In the current issue of Rolling Stone, Bruce Springsteen is asked about Elvis.

RS: What would you have said when you hopped the fence at Graceland in the Seventies,if he had been there?

BS: I had a song I was probably trying to sell him, "Fire." Outside of that, I truly have no idea. I'm not sure what I was looking for.

RS: Has fat Elvis haunted you - perhaps as a fitness inspiration and as an example of exactly where you don't want to end up?

BS: I don't know.I saw Elvis shortly before he died and I remember enjoying the show tremendously. Everybody makes their maps, and people will look at the one I wrote and there will be things they'll want to follow and things they won't want to follow. I got so much from Elvis as an inspiration, and I admire that voice so deeply right until the end. And everybody struggles.

RS: At the same time, you have a "stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive" kind of counter-philosophy.

BS: There are a lot of distractions along the way and a lot of places you can lose yourself. I was very aware of that, thanks to the people that came before me. And I worked very hard to avoid some of those pitfalls, and still do.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

LSP-4445
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Re: Bruce and Elvis in Philly - "Enjoying the show tremendou

Post by LSP-4445 »

Thanks for posting this.
I have just started reading the "Born To Run" book that was released a few weeks ago :)

sundial77
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by sundial77 »

"Has fat Elvis haunted you". What a gobshite. Thankfully Bruce didn't lower himself to the moron interviewers level with his reply.

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years 1 month

Post by drjohncarpenter »

elvisjock wrote:In the current issue of Rolling Stone, Bruce Springsteen is asked about Elvis.

RS: What would you have said when you hopped the fence at Graceland in the Seventies,if he had been there?

BS: I had a song I was probably trying to sell him, "Fire." Outside of that, I truly have no idea. I'm not sure what I was looking for.

RS: Has fat Elvis haunted you - perhaps as a fitness inspiration and as an example of exactly where you don't want to end up?

BS: I don't know.I saw Elvis shortly before he died and I remember enjoying the show tremendously. Everybody makes their maps, and people will look at the one I wrote and there will be things they'll want to follow and things they won't want to follow. I got so much from Elvis as an inspiration, and I admire that voice so deeply right until the end. And everybody struggles.

RS: At the same time, you have a "stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive" kind of counter-philosophy.

BS: There are a lot of distractions along the way and a lot of places you can lose yourself. I was very aware of that, thanks to the people that came before me. And I worked very hard to avoid some of those pitfalls, and still do.

Bruce has always been a staunch fan of the man and his music. On a previous FECC topic covering this new interview, I make note that he conflates his happy experience of seeing the 6-11-1972 MSG show with the awful Philly gig from May 1977. That one he consistently remembered as "not a good night."

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94831&p=1524876#p1524876

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

And he was also (he is) a gentleman and very polite. I am sure he was very sad about Elvis' Philly concert from May 28 1977. Maybe if he could talk to Elvis... But I' m not sure Presley could listen to him for some advice that night.

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

sundial77 wrote:"Has fat Elvis haunted you". What a gobshite. Thankfully Bruce didn't lower himself to the moron interviewers level with his reply.
Why? It happened; the decline was real and it was brutal. I would like to think others coming later would learn from it, but many don't.

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Thanks elvisjock for that post. That was an interesting read.
As has been noted, Bruce has always been a fan of Elvis. It is nice that in interviews he chooses the high road in his memories and doesn't follow the tabloid media types. Good job and thanks Bruce!

rlj

sundial77
Registered for: 11 years 10 months

Post by sundial77 »

stevelecher wrote:
sundial77 wrote:"Has fat Elvis haunted you". What a gobshite. Thankfully Bruce didn't lower himself to the moron interviewers level with his reply.
Why? It happened; the decline was real and it was brutal. I would like to think others coming later would learn from it, but many don't.
It was, and we are all only too aware of it, sadly. My gripe, however, is with the interviewer's choice of words, bringing up the same tiresome "fat" comments. Did he think he was being original? Seems that those in the media, whether it be in print, on TV or on radio, have a kind of "Elvis tourettes", where they cannot mention Elvis's name without shoe-horning in some unnecessary comment about weight, junk food, drugs, or the manner in which he died.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

Let's not forget that Bruce is still an Elvis fan. Classy all the way.

JosephC
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by JosephC »

I agree that Bruce could not have been speaking about the Philly show as one he "enjoyed tremendously" before he died. However, could it be possible that Bruce saw Elvis in Uniondale 1975? Or perhaps a show between 1972-1977? I've never read that Springsteen was at the Uniondale show or any other aside from MSG or Philly, I'm just speculating. I wonder if he's aware of "Way Down In The Jungle Room".

JosephC

Deleted User 1099

Post by Deleted User 1099 »

Elvisjock, thanks for posting this. A nice read indeed.

drjohncarpenter

JosephC wrote:I agree that Bruce could not have been speaking about the Philly show as one he "enjoyed tremendously" before he died. However, could it be possible that Bruce saw Elvis in Uniondale 1975? Or perhaps a show between 1972-1977? I've never read that Springsteen was at the Uniondale show or any other aside from MSG or Philly, I'm just speculating. I wonder if he's aware of "Way Down In The Jungle Room".

JosephC
Bruce saw just the two shows noted above. The very day of the Uniondale gigs, he was very, very busy. History was about to be made.

1975-07-19 - REHEARSAL ROOM, THE RECORD PLANT, NEW YORK CITY, NY

Set details unknown. The lone Born To Run tour rehearsal, held in a room on the floor above the Record Plant’s recording studio and condensed into one marathon 19-hour session that started at 3.00pm on July 19 and didn’t finish until 10.00am on July 20, with the opening show in Providence only ten hours away! Nagging mixing difficulties involving the Born To Run album had delayed the tour rehearsals until the very last minute.

http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1975#190775

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

JosephC
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by JosephC »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JosephC wrote:I agree that Bruce could not have been speaking about the Philly show as one he "enjoyed tremendously" before he died. However, could it be possible that Bruce saw Elvis in Uniondale 1975? Or perhaps a show between 1972-1977? I've never read that Springsteen was at the Uniondale show or any other aside from MSG or Philly, I'm just speculating. I wonder if he's aware of "Way Down In The Jungle Room".

JosephC
Bruce saw just the two shows noted above. The very day of the Uniondale gigs, he was very, very busy. History was about to be made.

1975-07-19 - REHEARSAL ROOM, THE RECORD PLANT, NEW YORK CITY, NY

Set details unknown. The lone Born To Run tour rehearsal, held in a room on the floor above the Record Plant’s recording studio and condensed into one marathon 19-hour session that started at 3.00pm on July 19 and didn’t finish until 10.00am on July 20, with the opening show in Providence only ten hours away! Nagging mixing difficulties involving the Born To Run album had delayed the tour rehearsals until the very last minute.

http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/1975#190775

Wow, he was busy! Had no idea, thank you for the find Doc!

JosephC

rlj4ep
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Mood:

Post by rlj4ep »

Great info Doc. Thanks very much.

rlj

memphisound
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Banned - Previously Banned Member Who Returned.
Registered for: 12 years 3 months

Post by memphisound »

So true. Nice read thanks for taking the time to share.

PREVIOUSLY BANNED MEMBER "BRADM".

galaxie
Registered for: 8 years 2 months

Post by galaxie »

FrankieRider2
Registered for: 21 years

Post by FrankieRider2 »

I like and appreciate that he takes the high road, much the same as Elvis did at his MSG press conference when questioned about other performers.

Makes me think more of Springsteen as a musician. And a man.

Frankie Rider, II
Arkansas
USA

drjohncarpenter

FrankieRider2 wrote:I like and appreciate that he takes the high road, much the same as Elvis did at his MSG press conference when questioned about other performers.

Makes me think more of Springsteen as a musician. And a man.
How can anyone, let alone an Elvis fan, not love Bruce Springsteen?

It's impossible!

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

Always great to read everything Elvis related from Bruce.

The message is confusing though, no way you mix up two totally distinctive shows from your all time hero.
So I guess Bruce did appreciate parts of Elvis Philly show or he just doesn't want to go the negative road anymore.

Topic author
elvisjock
Registered for: 20 years 3 months

Post by elvisjock »

I hope our resident Bruce fans will one day have the opportunity to meet him and ask for clarification.

"Don't tell me to play it. I will when I get ready. Do you understand me?"

egilj
Registered for: 14 years 1 month

Post by egilj »

My interpretation is that he was a bit provoked by the question and sugar coated his Philly-experience to stand up for Elvis. So I don't think he was talking about MSG or that he suddenly have concluded that the last show he saw was really great.

drjohncarpenter

elvisjock wrote:I hope our resident Bruce fans will one day have the opportunity to meet him and ask for clarification.
No need, he's been very clear over the years regarding the 1972 and 1977 shows that he attended.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Robert
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Robert »

egilj wrote:My interpretation is that he was a bit provoked by the question and sugar coated his Philly-experience to stand up for Elvis. So I don't think he was talking about MSG or that he suddenly have concluded that the last show he saw was really great.
My thoughts exactly and a class act.
And hey, even with a black and white contrast to MSG, it was still Elvis so I'm sure it left many impressions.
Good and bad.

YDKM

Post by YDKM »

:D very VERY 'solid' autobiography Bruce wrote and i thoroughly enjoyed reading it Bruce is a very wise man indeed! :D
and wrote very respectfully about BOTH Frank AND Elvis!~ :P

Bruce Jackson Born June 3rd 1949- Died January 29th 2011 Elvis's Sound Engineer from 1971-1977.
You Don't Know Me!

King Volcano

Post by King Volcano »

YDKM wrote::D very VERY 'solid' autobiography Bruce wrote and i thoroughly enjoyed reading it Bruce is a very wise man indeed! :D
and wrote very respectfully about BOTH Frank AND Elvis!~ :P
I was planning to read it, but he goes on about Sinatra.. .? :(