"When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

"When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again"

Post by Juan Luis »

This is one of those Elvis Presley songs I take for granted, and love to revisit. An old 1941 country tune performed by the composers Gene Sullivan and Wiley walker. The cover sounds so vibrant and youthful! I love it!

From Elvis's second album (also on EP) titled simply ELVIS. This is a song that Presley attempted when frustrated with demos of other songs he did not like, and recorded the lyrics he remembered (which were about half)! Not too different a situation fast forwarding to the 1970's, with "Don't Think Twice, It's all Right" and a few others. Turned out great in 10 takes!

Recorded on September 2, 1956 at Radio recorders studio 1 Hollywood, California. Steve Sholes, Elvis Presley producing with Thorne Nogar behind the console. a song that could have been a staple in Elvis's 1970's concerts. Easy to perform and fun to listen! Very KOOL to have TV performances documenting this fun number!

"WHEN MY BLUE MOON TURNS TO GOLD AGAIN"

Topic author
Stvimpe

Re: "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again"

Post by Stvimpe »

Juan Luis wrote:This is one of those Elvis Presley songs I take for granted, and love to revisit.
Ditto!

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Always nice to hear.

Three other early versions:

1943, Hank Snow and Anita Carter:

Cindy Walker,When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again, 1944

1951:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

Las Vegas - 10th December 1975

brian

Post by brian »

I like how Elvis takes this country song and turns it uptempo. I'm not a fan of the various country & western versions but Elvis brings something more out of the song.

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Other early versions:

04-03-42 - Zeke Manners & his Gang (Bluebird B 9020) aka Zeke Manners & his Band (RCA 20-2130);
08-05-42 - Hank Snow (Bluebird 55-3206);
00-01-45 - Cliffie Stone (Capitol 15108);
00-02-46 - Denver Darling (DeLuxe 5012);
00-03-47 - Jerry Smith with Jack Lester & his Trail Blazers (FM 261);
15-01-52 - Tex Ritter (Capitol 1977).

The version by Hank Snow & Anita Carter is recorded on 10 july 1962.

colonel snow

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

While Elvis might have made a good job in the end, the fact that he only knows half the words are an early sign of the fact that was more than willing to make do and mend rather than go the extra mile and either get someone to find out the words or choose a song he did actually know. I come here after just listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford singing Stand By Me - and it appears Elvis didn't know the words to that either! Don't Think Twice was, at least, an off the cuff jam where Elvis and the band were letting off steam. But here, in 1956, and for only second album, Elvis delivers what is basically half a song, which seems to be a "that will do" approach which would continue throughout his career. It's not even that this was pulled out of the hat at the last minute - this was recorded on only the 2nd day of 3, so why wasn't it put to one side to return to later when someone had found a recording with all the words on it? It's the 50s, so its gets a free pass, but really even at this stage we have the signs of things to come.

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

The story behind the song:
According to Gene Sullivan, the song, “When my Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again,” was written out of necessity. Sullivan commented, “The 1940 recording session that Wiley Walker and I did for Columbia records was a mistake. We didn’t know anything about original songs. We just recorded songs that we liked to sing. The Columbia A & R man, Art Satherley, trashed most of the tunes we recorded and we had to learn six new songs in one day. He finally sat us down and told us that we were going to have to come up with original songs if we wanted to stay in the recording business. That was all new to us because we had never done that. So I started to try to write songs.”

“During that time, I was moving my family and everything we owned in our car from Lubbock Texas to Oklahoma City for a new job. I drove all night across Texas looking right into a bright full moon. The moon was so bright that I could even turn off the car headlights and still see the road. And that’s where I got the idea for ‘When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again.’ And I wrote that song on that trip.”

“When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again” was a # 5 hit for Cindy Walker in 1944, and Cliffie Stone scored a # 11 hit on the tune in 1948. The song was also the flipside of Merle Haggard’s 1977 #2 hit, “Ramblin Fever.”

Doug Davis
Country Music Classics
Source: https://web.archive.org/web/20111001011511/http://www.tcmradio.com/news/January/Jan9.htm

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

poormadpeter2 wrote:While Elvis might have made a good job in the end, the fact that he only knows half the words are an early sign of the fact that was more than willing to make do and mend rather than go the extra mile and either get someone to find out the words or choose a song he did actually know. I come here after just listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford singing Stand By Me - and it appears Elvis didn't know the words to that either! Don't Think Twice was, at least, an off the cuff jam where Elvis and the band were letting off steam. But here, in 1956, and for only second album, Elvis delivers what is basically half a song, which seems to be a "that will do" approach which would continue throughout his career. It's not even that this was pulled out of the hat at the last minute - this was recorded on only the 2nd day of 3, so why wasn't it put to one side to return to later when someone had found a recording with all the words on it? It's the 50s, so its gets a free pass, but really even at this stage we have the signs of things to come.
The 1956 master is a stellar vocal performance; for from offering a sign that Elvis is taking short-cuts. It is Elvis' interpretation of the song, focusing on the vocal passages he chooses to present, that he perhaps embraced and enjoyed signing prior to reaching fame and being burdened by recording requirements. In 1956, Elvis is not only in control of his sessions as producer and chief arranger, but he is engaged in the recording process, and clearly attracted to the song in question. If Elvis did the same thing on numerous occasions between 1956 and 1969, you might be on to something, but clearly Elvis did not consistently start taking short-cuts in the studio until his collaboration with Fel-Tone went into full-swing during the 1970's. There is no "free pass" on When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again simply because it is from 1956, the song is highly regarded because Elvis delivers an engaging, top-shelf vocal with a compelling arrangement.

The same cannot be said for 1971 when he is forced into a studio, recording material that he largely is detached from, and in the case of Don't Think Twice, a series of two long-winded jams, never properly arranged or pared down by the producer running the session for RCA.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:While Elvis might have made a good job in the end, the fact that he only knows half the words are an early sign of the fact that was more than willing to make do and mend rather than go the extra mile and either get someone to find out the words or choose a song he did actually know. I come here after just listening to Tennessee Ernie Ford singing Stand By Me - and it appears Elvis didn't know the words to that either! Don't Think Twice was, at least, an off the cuff jam where Elvis and the band were letting off steam. But here, in 1956, and for only second album, Elvis delivers what is basically half a song, which seems to be a "that will do" approach which would continue throughout his career. It's not even that this was pulled out of the hat at the last minute - this was recorded on only the 2nd day of 3, so why wasn't it put to one side to return to later when someone had found a recording with all the words on it? It's the 50s, so its gets a free pass, but really even at this stage we have the signs of things to come.
The 1956 master is a stellar vocal performance; for from offering a sign that Elvis is taking short-cuts. It is Elvis' interpretation of the song, focusing on the vocal passages he chooses to present, that he perhaps embraced and enjoyed signing prior to reaching fame and being burdened by recording requirements. In 1956, Elvis is not only in control of his sessions as producer and chief arranger, but he is engaged in the recording process, and clearly attracted to the song in question. If Elvis did the same thing on numerous occasions between 1956 and 1969, you might be on to something, but clearly Elvis did not consistently start taking short-cuts in the studio until his collaboration with Fel-Tone went into full-swing during the 1970's. There is no "free pass" on When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again simply because it is from 1956, the song is highly regarded because Elvis delivers an engaging, top-shelf vocal with a compelling arrangement.

The same cannot be said for 1971 when he is forced into a studio, recording material that he largely is detached from, and in the case of Don't Think Twice, a series of two long-winded jams, never properly arranged or pared down by the producer running the session for RCA.

Nice post. It should be mentioned that "When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again" made the top twenty in January 1957 as an EP track, and when Elvis performed with his small combo in front of the cameras at NBC Burbank, he included a rendition there. He still liked the song.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

midnightx wrote:

I see you're also as fond of Felton as Fats Domino was. The song is a nice ditty Elvis spruced up. No "compelling" arrangement. I love it for its simplicity even though it is not complete. A youthful 1950's Elvis could do no wrong. But took it easy at times, as well. Elvis let it out cause he wanted to let it out that way. No other producer (musical) other than him at the time.

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

midnightx wrote:

Elvis isn't focusing on certain vocal passages out of choice, he simply doesn't know the rest of the song! It's nothing to do with him being creative or engaged in the recording process. He simply doesn't know it, and so repeats the same two verses ad infinitum.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

goldbelt wrote:Las Vegas - 10th December 1975
I always liked that show, if not only for the beautiful version of ''Can't Help Falling In Love'' early in the show.

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

One of my all-time favorite Elvis vocals. I had the thrill of a lifetime in 2007 to record this song in the control room at Sun Studio. It was done karaoke-style, and burned to a CD, for about $35. I can always say that I recorded at Sun Studio in Memphis.

KHoots

Post by KHoots »

One of my all-time favorite Elvis vocals. I had the thrill of a lifetime in 2007 to record this song in the control room at Sun Studio. It was done karaoke-style, and burned to a CD, for about $35. I can always say that I recorded at Sun Studio in Memphis.

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

Johnny2523 wrote:
goldbelt wrote:Las Vegas - 10th December 1975
I always liked that show, if not only for the beautiful version of ''Can't Help Falling In Love'' early in the show.
Yeah, it's an interesting show from that December 1975 Vegas season - some good shows to be found from that season.

And yeah, it's a beautiful, understated version of CHFIL that unfortunately loses it's way when he has to joke about it being in the wrong key.

For anyone unfamiliar with this show, Elvis comes out to 2001, sings See See Rider, then goes straight into CHFIL followed by the closing vamp.

The live version of WMBMTTGA is also something of a rarity, and although short, is nicely performed as an off the cuff addition, and his joke afterwards about those on stage with him is amusing ... 'these people have never listened to my records'.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

poormadpeter2 wrote: Elvis isn't focusing on certain vocal passages out of choice, he simply doesn't know the rest of the song! It's nothing to do with him being creative or engaged in the recording process. He simply doesn't know it, and so repeats the same two verses ad infinitum.
And how do you know this?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

midnightx wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote: Elvis isn't focusing on certain vocal passages out of choice, he simply doesn't know the rest of the song! It's nothing to do with him being creative or engaged in the recording process. He simply doesn't know it, and so repeats the same two verses ad infinitum.
I don't know how he knows this, but I know this by having read page 64 of Ernst Jorgensen's, "A Life In Music".

Topic author
poormadpeter2

Post by poormadpeter2 »

midnightx wrote:
As Juan says, this is detailed in Ernst's book - where he also says the same thing happened with Hound Dog, IIRC, so hardly an isolate incident. That's without mentioning that we only get two of four verses in Blue Moon from 1954 as well - so hardly an isolated incident.

Plus it's common sense.

And it's interesting how you can ask me how I know the version of events I have posted, and yet you don't give any evidence as to how your version of events can be substantiated. So, if he's concentrating on vocal passages out of choice...how do you know this?

Topic author
r&b

Post by r&b »

I love the song, and loved the EP & LP as a kid. Still do, I think Scotty really shined on this one also. The only thing that may bother me now is the rather overbearing Jords at the end, but back then it did not. Styles change with the times .

Rtn 2 Sndr

Post by Rtn 2 Sndr »

KHoots wrote:One of my all-time favorite Elvis vocals. I had the thrill of a lifetime in 2007 to record this song in the control room at Sun Studio. It was done karaoke-style, and burned to a CD, for about $35. I can always say that I recorded at Sun Studio in Memphis.
I also invested $35 at Sun Studio for a recording. However, knowing my vocal limitations, I funded my daughter's first "session" with a recording of "Amazing Grace".

Rtn 2 Sndr
Address Unknown

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Post by Davelee »

poormadpeter2 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
As Juan says, this is detailed in Ernst's book - where he also says the same thing happened with Hound Dog, IIRC, so hardly an isolate incident. That's without mentioning that we only get two of four verses in Blue Moon from 1954 as well - so hardly an isolated incident.

Plus it's common sense.

And it's interesting how you can ask me how I know the version of events I have posted, and yet you don't give any evidence as to how your version of events can be substantiated. So, if he's concentrating on vocal passages out of choice...how do you know this?
I don't know what Jorgensen has written in "A Life In Music" because i don't own the book, yet, but from what i have read elsewhere on the subject and using my own view and intelligence i've come to my own conclusion on the issue.

Not always is verses or words missing in Elvis' versions is because he couldn't remember them, sometimes it was intentional. There are many cases where he intended to leave out verses or change words to suit his interpretation of a song and Hound Dog was certainly one of them. The song was originally written from a womans point of view, so therefore the words had to be changed for a male to sing it, though Elvis apparently got his idea for the song after seeing Freddy Bell and the Bellboys in Vegas 56, he was certainly aware of Big Mama Thornton's version, prior to seeing Freddy Bell because he had her original 78 in his own collection of 78s.

1954s Good Rockin' Tonight is another that springs to mind. The original by R&B act Roy Brown has two verses that are omitted by Presley, one verse talks about a girl named sweet georgia brown (can't remmember Roys full lyric been a while since i've heard it) but Elvis' interpretation of the song was to say to everyone that "theres good rockin' tonight and everybody should join in" without mentioning references to girls names in the original that are not part of how hes interpreting the song.

There are other cases too, One Night is another. So, mismembering lyrics is not alway the case. In the case of Blue Moon its true that Elvis couldn't remember the lyrics, and he even says so himself in a 1956 interview when talking about the song: "i didn't even know the words i just started yelling" meaning the ooooh part of the song.

But with When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again i think it was intended for Elvis to record it that way. I love his version of this song.

promiseland

Post by promiseland »

:facep:
midnightx wrote:

Elvis didn't use all the lyrics to Hound Dog either does that mean he half-assed it - NO. Again as MidnightX explains it's another interpretation of a song the way he wanted it.
...a free pass and signs of things to come... what BS! :facep:

Scarre

Post by Scarre »

Great singing, really like this song. The only thing "missing" is a little more guitar here and there...It´s a bit "empty". But, still very enjoyable.

Topic author
jerrynodak

Post by jerrynodak »

One of my favorite songs from his 2nd LP. Until now I didn't realize there was something "wrong" with it. I like it as is.