"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Juan Luis

"I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)"

Post by Juan Luis »

The Joe Thomas and Howard Biggs penned song was first recorded by Roy Hamilton in November 1953 as the B-side to "You'll Never Walk Alone". The definitive version in my opinion, was recorded by Elvis Presley for his iconic, classic, self-titled first studio album for RCA. It is a spruced up rockabilly-country version with a killer Scotty Moore electric guitar solo. Recorded at RCA Studio 1, in New York City on January 31, 1956. Steve Sholes overseeing with Elvis Presley producing and Ernie Oehlrich engineering. The master was achieved in 18 takes. Elvis's singing is just wonderful, vibrant, rocking! Shorty Long on piano is a joy to listen. The whole band really! With brisk playing by D.J. Fontana (drums), and Bill Black on his "doghouse" bass! I love it! It is noteworthy the Beatles covered it in 1963 for the BBC.

I'M GONNA SIT RIGHT DOWN AND CRY (OVER YOU)

jetblack

Re: "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You)"

Post by jetblack »

I love this song Juan.

It's very singable with an infectious vocal from Elvis.

This Italian 45rpm has a great cover shot.

Andy

Elvis - King of the UK charts

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Thanks for that! There was a thread a few years ago provided by a banned member. The thread has some interesting input nevertheless.
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=84976

Domino

Post by Domino »

Love everything Roy Hamilton did but Elvis took this one out from under his idol Roy.
He nailed it.Thanks for the great song topic.

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

colonel snow

Post by colonel snow »

Another version was recorded in march 1955 by Mick Woodward (Universal Sheraton rec. 1007).

colonel snow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Domino

Post by Domino »

8) "Well sir,to be honest with you,we just stumbled upon it." - 1954
ImageImage

goldbelt

Post by goldbelt »

A light, superficial song about potential lost love that bounces along and sounds rather dated that will probably garner much praise from those that regularly bash the 70's ballads, despite their superior lyrical content and the emotion conveyed through Elvis' vocals on so many of them.

One of the lesser tracks from the Elvis Presley LP, it's ok for what it is, not a favourite.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Some additional information:

Roy Hamilton's single release of "You'll Never Walk Alone" (Epic 9015, January 16, 1954), was a huge, #1 r&b hit in 1954, reaching the top on Cash Box's "Rhythm & Blues Top 15" on 4-03-1954 and remaining there for a total of seven weeks. It did basically the same on Billboard's "Best Sellers in Stores," reaching the top on the 3-27-1954 chart and staying there for eight weeks. There is no doubt he picked up a copy of Epic 9015 around his 19th birthday, and thus began a lifelong admiration of Hamilton's talent. Elvis covered both sides of this single, "You'll Never Walk Alone" receiving his attention in 1967.

As noted elsewhere, the BBC radio performance of the song by the Beatles is completely different from Elvis' album cut, and a live-in-the-studio take. It shows how they had mastered the form by summer 1963. This version is not accessible on YouTube for U.S. residents, but a thoroughly punk rock rendition from Hamburg's Star-Club in December 1962 is available. Raw, energetic and a harbinger of things to come, no one was making rock 'n' roll like this at the time.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Post by Davelee »

Great rocking track from Elvis, really cool! Love Scottys solo. Great track from a great album.

Not particularly keen on Hamiltons cut vocal is a bit square, nice bit of sax though.

The Beatles' version is horrid, though i appreciate them trying to arrange it differently though it doesn't work for me.

MikeFromHolland

Post by MikeFromHolland »

Fantastic song. I never heard the original by Roy Hamilton before. What a joy to listen to.

As mentioned in the OP, Joe Thomas and Howard Biggs penned the song. Some background info about Biggs as found on Wikipedia.

Howard Maceo Biggs (October 13, 1916 – November 24, 1999)

Born in Seattle, Washington, the son of naval machinist Antonio Biggs and Thelma Buchanan, he learned piano as a child and gave his first concert at the First African Methodist Episcopal Church in the city at the age of ten.

He studied at the University of Washington before becoming resident composer with the Negro Repertory Company in Seattle. In 1937 he composed the score for the company's production An Evening with Dunbar, based on the life and poems of Paul Laurence Dunbar, and wrote several songs incorporating Dunbar's words as well as directing the theatre chorus. In 1939 he wrote the score for a musical version of The Taming of the Shrew, performed in Seattle by the Federal Theatre Negro Unit.

After touring as a concert performer, he played in lounges on the West Coast before heading east to join Noble Sissle's orchestra. By 1944, he was performing in clubs in New York City. At that time, Billboard said of him: "Unlike most colored pianists, he doesn't lean much to boogie-woogie, but specializes in unusually smart arrangements of pops, show tunes, middlebrow and classics." He became established as a pianist with the Luis Russell Orchestra, before working as pianist and arranger with many R&B vocal groups on their live performances and recordings, starting with The Ravens, with whom he worked from 1946 to 1949. He wrote two of the Ravens' first hit records, "Write Me a Letter", credited as the first R&B record to hit the national pop top 25, and "Bye Bye Baby Blues", and co-wrote several others with the group's singer Jimmy Ricks.

Recorded on September 11, 1947:

Biggs then joined another group, the Beavers, for whom he wrote "I'd Rather Be Wrong Than Blue" with Joe Thomas, who had previously been a saxophonist in Jimmie Lunceford's band.

March 1950:

In early 1950 Biggs left the Beavers when he was appointed musical director at Regal Records. Over the next few years he worked as pianist and arranger for several leading R&B vocal groups including The Five Keys and The Glowtones, and for various record labels including RCA Victor and Junior. He established a songwriting partnership with Joe Thomas, and they co-wrote the songs "Got You on My Mind", a #2 R&B hit for John Greer in 1952, later recorded by Big Joe Turner, Jerry Lee Lewis, Eric Clapton and others; "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Cry (Over You)", recorded by Roy Hamilton in 1954 and later by both Elvis Presley and The Beatles; "Melancholy Me", recorded by Eddy Howard; and "That's All I Need", written by Biggs, Thomas, and LaVern Baker. He also wrote "If I Could Have Your Love Again," with singer Brook Benton. He continued to perform, and in the early 1950s backed Little Jimmy Scott with a band that included bassist Charles Mingus and guitarist Mundell Lowe. He later led the Howard Biggs Orchestra which backed leading jazz and R&B vocalists including Dinah Washington, Dakota Staton, Marie Knight and Johnny Hartman.

1954:

In 1957, while working at the Junior label, he was credited with arranging "Get a Job" by The Silhouettes, a #1 R&B and pop hit the following year.

Biggs later moved to Houston, Texas, and in the mid-1970s performed regularly as a solo jazz pianist in clubs and restaurants in the city. He married Joan Cockrell, thirty years his junior, in Houston in 1984. He died in Houston in 1999.

BONUS

A version from France: "Pleurer auprès de toi par" by Johnny Hallyday. As released on July 9, 1965.

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote: no one was making rock 'n' roll like this at the time.
No one?

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

MikeFromHolland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: no one was making rock 'n' roll like this at the time.
No one?

Correct.

All your examples post-date the December 1962 performance I shared, in fact all come after the Beatles became the biggest rock 'n' roll group on the planet.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MikeFromHolland

drjohncarpenter wrote: All your examples post-date the December 1962 performance I shared, in fact all come after the Beatles (..)
Sure. Same bunch of people in 1962:

And an extra one:

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

drjohncarpenter

Sorry, none of these compare. But keep trying, if you must.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

MikeFromHolland

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Mike

------
lay back,
take it easy
And try a smile...

Steve Morse

Post by Steve Morse »

Of the 'lesser known' Elvis tracks, this is one of my all-time favourites. I just love it. It tends to be overshadowed by 'One Sided Love Affair' which has a vaguely similar feel to it.

"Gonna tell my ma-ma . . tell my papa too . . . then they'll know exactly what I'm gonna do . . . iffffffffffff"

Pure magic.

"Won't you sing me away to a summer night - let me hold her in my arms again"