More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Davelee
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"
Banned -- Same user as "mysterytrainrideson"

Re: "I Need Your Love Tonight"

Post by Davelee »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:So, would you say "Honey Love" was the forerunner of "I Need Your Love Tonight" ?
It would be fair to say that Presley songwriters Sid Wayne and Bix Reichner were inspired by 1954's "Honey Love," written by Clyde McPhatter and Jerry Wexler. Never dismiss the power of the bongos!

Your topic was excellent! As I wrote then, although I know the fine Drifters recording, I was unaware of the connection. But it is there. Did you notice both singles have bongos in the mix? Murrey "Buddy" Harman plays them at the Presley session.

"Honey Love" (Atlantic 1029) made Billboard U.S. R&B #1 on July 10, 1954, the week Elvis cut "That's All Right" for Sun Records. It supplanted Big Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle and Roll," also on Atlantic, and would stay at the top for seven more weeks. Of course, 19 year-old Elvis must have heard and loved them both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_number-one_rhythm_and_blues_hits#1954

Elvis Presley "I Need Your Love Tonight" (RCA Victor 7506, March 16, 1959)
Billboard "Hot 100" #4, April 20, 1959
A-side "(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I" made Billboard "Hot 100" #2, April 27, 1959
Thanks, Doc and Mister Moon. Never made the connection between the two songs, excellent stuff. Honey Love is a great song, love Clyde such a great singer.

Wonder if Elvis realized the similarities between the two songs.
the-drifters-featuring-clyde-mcphatter-honey-love-atlantic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Any song that influenced one of Bruce Springsteen's major works is certainly worth noting.

Although "King of the Whole Wide World" is lyrically edgier, it feels more pop than rock to my ears. Presley does a terrific job on it in any case. The unreleased versions cut a day before were actually edgier musically, but of course that was a big no-no for movie soundtrack work.

"King of the Whole Wide World" is also significant for making the Top 40 in 1962, despite not being a single. It made Billboard "Hot 100" #30 [from Kid Galahad EPA 4371] in the October 20, 1962 chart. It might have done even better, but RCA had issued "Return to Sender" just a month after the EP, and it was attracting more attention at radio and retail, sitting at #20 in that same chart, and heading north. At that time, the fall of 1962, things were still going well for him.
Wow, even more fascinating info, Thanks Doc !!!

Here's the thing again, how did the charts rank "King of the Whole Wide World" wide as a lead single off an EP, and not the EP itself ?

Was it just airplay ?

Of course competing with himself, "Return to Sender" what's the better song, in my opinion.
I'm not sure what you're asking, but "King of the Whole Wide World" was the first track on the first side of the EP. Radio naturally gravitated towards the easy rocker. And it seems RCA pushed it at radio via a promo single, see previous post on this topic.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
bajo wrote:Regarding King Of The Whole Wide World. In EU, King Of The Whole Wide World/Home Is Where The Heart is was released as a single, leaving the EP with the remaining 4 tracks. The single was very popular in Scandinavia and even went to #1 in Norway! :smt020
Correct :smt023, I forgot about this commercial release. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.