"I Need Your Love Tonight"

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

drjohncarpenter

Re: "I Need Your Love Tonight"

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Mister Moon wrote:So, would you say "Honey Love" was the forerunner of "I Need Your Love Tonight" ?
It would be fair to say that Presley songwriters Sid Wayne and Bix Reichner were inspired by 1954's "Honey Love," written by Clyde McPhatter and Jerry Wexler. Never dismiss the power of the bongos!

Your topic was excellent! As I wrote then, although I know the fine Drifters recording, I was unaware of the connection. But it is there. Did you notice both singles have bongos in the mix? Murrey "Buddy" Harman plays them at the Presley session.

"Honey Love" (Atlantic 1029) made Billboard U.S. R&B #1 on July 10, 1954, the week Elvis cut "That's All Right" for Sun Records. It supplanted Big Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle and Roll," also on Atlantic, and would stay at the top for seven more weeks. Of course, 19 year-old Elvis must have heard and loved them both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_number-one_rhythm_and_blues_hits#1954

Elvis Presley "I Need Your Love Tonight" (RCA Victor 7506, March 16, 1959)
Billboard "Hot 100" #4, April 20, 1959
A-side "(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I" made Billboard "Hot 100" #2, April 27, 1959

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:So, would you say "Honey Love" was the forerunner of "I Need Your Love Tonight" ?
It would be fair to say that Presley songwriters Sid Wayne and Bix Reichner were inspired by 1954's "Honey Love," written by Clyde McPhatter and Jerry Wexler. Never dismiss the power of the bongos!

Your topic was excellent! As I wrote then, although I know the fine Drifters recording, I was unaware of the connection. But it is there. Did you notice both singles have bongos in the mix? Murrey "Buddy" Harman plays them at the Presley session.

"Honey Love" (Atlantic 1029) made Billboard U.S. R&B #1 on July 10, 1954, the week Elvis cut "That's All Right" for Sun Records. It supplanted Big Joe Turner's "Shake, Rattle and Roll," also on Atlantic, and would stay at the top for seven more weeks. Of course, 19 year-old Elvis must have heard and loved them both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_number-one_rhythm_and_blues_hits#1954

Elvis Presley "I Need Your Love Tonight" (RCA Victor 7506, March 16, 1959)
Billboard "Hot 100" #4, April 20, 1959
A-side "(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I" made Billboard "Hot 100" #2, April 27, 1959
Many thanks for the additional info. That's a very good observation on the bongos !

It is always nice to find little connections between songs. I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that these two songs may have been connected. :)

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
fn2drive wrote:
poormadpeter2 wrote:Oh, I'm not denying the fact that it was typical of the time, just that they really now seem, to use your term, infantile. The same is true in some ways of I Got Stung and Wear My Ring Around Your Neck as well, although at least the former have the relative novelty of the bee metaphor. What rises these songs above the banal is the way that Elvis attacks them to a degree he hadn't attacked anything since Hound Dog two years earlier. But as pieces of material, they are pretty awful.
Ah the elitist strikes again. 3 classics of pure perfection so i'll go attack them but Padre now there's a classic for sure. Oh that 50s rock and roll-perfect for the proletariat but not for us academics. Think i'll go throw up on the Mona Lisa while i'm at it. ROTFL.
I wouldn't term "I Need Your Love Tonight" as "awful" if only for Elvis' superb vocal and Hank Garland's dynamic boogie lead guitar. But there's no argument that the shift from the aggressiveness of "Hound Dog" was apparent.
Nobody described the performance as awful, they described the song itself as awful.
Please spare me. Every one of his comments is designed to thread the needle. Over and over there is the this and the that-all designed to later say I didnt say this or that. Awful um ok.

As for these 3 songs they are each classics. Surely not Hound Dog but when you talking a top 3 or better track out of his 711 masters, little could. Doc i agree on Elvis' vocal and Garland's playing clearly make all 3 special. And with all 3 he attacks them with gusto and delight. The outtakes on golden records 2 FTD are a simple delight and joy for those of us who enjoy out takes and thankfully there are plenty there before the censors get to them.
You and Davelee really need to give up this crusade against PMP. Just as r&b has the right to criticize most of Elvis' 70s output, PMP has the right to criticize some of Elvis' 50s output. Give it a rest already.

drjohncarpenter

ICanHelp wrote:Just as r&b has the right to criticize most of Elvis' 70s output, PMP has the right to criticize some of Elvis' 50s output. Give it a rest already.
His membership in FECC certainly does allow his right to criticize. And he does it quite a bit. But I feel what some notice is he does not limit his posts to sober commentary, good or bad. Rather, he argues contrarian stances in a deliberate effort to cause rancor. Or battles against viewpoints that no one had expressed, because he misread the original posting. And sometimes his rhetoric is arch, or dismissive.

Back on topic:

What are your feelings on this 1959 single B-side? Mine are posted above.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:Just as r&b has the right to criticize most of Elvis' 70s output, PMP has the right to criticize some of Elvis' 50s output. Give it a rest already.
His membership in FECC certainly does allow his right to criticize. And he does it quite a bit. But I feel what some notice is he does not limit his posts to sober commentary, good or bad. Rather, he argues contrarian stances in a deliberate effort to cause rancor. Or battles against viewpoints that no one had expressed, because he misread the original posting. And sometimes his rhetoric is arch, or dismissive.

Back on topic:

I'll be honest, the song is not a favorite of mine. Elvis's rocking edge seems almost forced (as compared to, your point, a song like Hound Dog). Too many verbal tricks for me.

drjohncarpenter

ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Back on topic:

I'll be honest, the song is not a favorite of mine. Elvis's rocking edge seems almost forced (as compared to, your point, a song like Hound Dog). Too many verbal tricks for me.
Well, it is a very pop-y rocker, but Elvis sure sounds like he's having fun. For those who liked the edgier side of his music, they may have seen this one as a hint of him "selling out to girls."

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Back on topic:

Well, it is a very pop-y rocker, but Elvis sure sounds like he's having fun. For those who liked the edgier side of his music, they may have seen this one as a hint of him "selling out to girls."
Exactly. I always considered one of his last edgier songs (at least vocally), before the 68 Special, to be "King of The Whole Wide World" from Kid Galahad. An underappreciated rocker.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Back on topic:

Exactly. I always considered one of his last edgier songs (at least vocally), before the 68 Special, to be "King of The Whole Wide World" from Kid Galahad. An underappreciated rocker.
You do not find HHS from 1967 edgy?

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

Juan Luis wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Back on topic:

Although Elvis reintroduces the gruff voice on HHS, I always considered the song more country than rock.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

590316.JPG

drjohncarpenter

ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Well, it is a very pop-y rocker, but Elvis sure sounds like he's having fun. For those who liked the edgier side of his music, they may have seen this one as a hint of him "selling out to girls."
Any song that influenced one of Bruce Springsteen's major works is certainly worth noting.

Although "King of the Whole Wide World" is lyrically edgier, it feels more pop than rock to my ears. Presley does a terrific job on it in any case. The unreleased versions cut a day before were actually edgier musically, but of course that was a big no-no for movie soundtrack work.

"King of the Whole Wide World" is also significant for making the Top 40 in 1962, despite not being a single. It made Billboard "Hot 100" #30 [from Kid Galahad EPA 4371] in the October 20, 1962 chart. It might have done even better, but RCA had issued "Return to Sender" just a month after the EP, and it was attracting more attention at radio and retail, sitting at #20 in that same chart, and heading north. At that time, the fall of 1962, things were still going well for him.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

ICanHelp

Post by ICanHelp »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Well, it is a very pop-y rocker, but Elvis sure sounds like he's having fun. For those who liked the edgier side of his music, they may have seen this one as a hint of him "selling out to girls."
Any song that influenced one of Bruce Springsteen's major works is certainly worth noting.

Although "King of the Whole Wide World" is lyrically edgier, it feels more pop than rock to my ears. Presley does a terrific job on it in any case. The unreleased versions cut a day before were actually edgier musically, but of course that was a big no-no for movie soundtrack work.

"King of the Whole Wide World" is also significant for making the Top 40 in 1962, despite not being a single. It made Billboard "Hot 100" #30 [from Kid Galahad EPA 4371] in the October 20, 1962 chart. It might have done even better, but RCA had issued "Return to Sender" just a month after the EP, and it was attracting more attention at radio and retail, sitting at #20 in that same chart, and heading north. At that time, the fall of 1962, things were still going well for him.
This is FECC at its best. Exchanging ideas, learning new things. Thank you Sir.

In that connection, to which Springsteen song do you refer?

drjohncarpenter

ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Any song that influenced one of Bruce Springsteen's major works is certainly worth noting.

This is FECC at its best. Exchanging ideas, learning new things. Thank you Sir.

In that connection, to which Springsteen song do you refer?
Thanks for the kind words.

The 1962 top forty hit in part inspired this song:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlands_(Bruce_Springsteen_song)

Poor man wanna be rich
Rich man wanna be king
And a king ain't satisfied 'till he rules everything
I wanna go out tonight, I wanna find out what I got

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Johnny2523

Post by Johnny2523 »

I love the song, been a favourite of mine for a long long time.
I actually created an extended version of take 4 the other day, hope you guys enjoy it.. it runs for 02:32

if you'll try a little kindness and you'll overlook the blindness
Of the narrow minded people on the narrow minded streets

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Just in case, for those that didn´t know..... :wink:.

King Of The Whole Wide World, was released as a promo single in 1962 by RCA Victor for U.S radio stations, to promote the new EP Kid Galahad EPA-4371. It included a cool B side too! 8). Bye for now :smt006.

King Of The Whole Wide World/Home Is Where The Heart Is. RCA SP-45-118. Released in 1962.

Source: https://www.elvisrecords.com/king-of-the-whole-wide-world-home-is-where-the-heart-is/

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

ICanHelp wrote:
Juan Luis wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Back on topic:

Although Elvis reintroduces the gruff voice on HHS, I always considered the song more country than rock.
Country blues?

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:

Interesting post, thanks.
I do not think "King Of The Whole Wide World" starting at takes 31 eventually going to 35, had anything to do with the song being edgier the day before. More likely Elvis wanted to get another stab at it for it was an excellent song (a rarity by then in soundtrack material). In general, I don't think management wanted or understood "edgy" less sans "I'm A Roustabout", and that was because of the "stick in the ear" lyric. If Elvis didn't provide r required more edge was because the songs (IMO) didn't need it or deserved it. My take.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Mister Moon wrote:
590316.JPG
Fascinating Information, Thank You!

Here's thing I don't get, if the single sold a million copies just two days after release, how did it not go number 1 ?

I understand the whole concept of jukebox charts and airplay, but obviously unit sales play a major role in "Hit" status and a million records sold that quickly, it just doesn't add up.

Were the three (3) records that were ahead of "I Need Your Love Tonight" selling that much more or were they just receiving more airplay or both ?

Payola ?

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ICanHelp wrote:

Wow, even more fascinating info, Thanks Doc !!!

Here's the thing again, how did the charts rank "King of the Whole Wide World" wide as a lead single off an EP, and not the EP itself ?

Was it just airplay ?

Of course competing with himself, "Return to Sender" what's the better song, in my opinion.

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Topic author
Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

minkahed wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
590316.JPG

Here's thing I don't get, if the single sold a million copies just two days after release, how did it not go number 1 ?

I understand the whole concept of jukebox charts and airplay, but obviously unit sales play a major role in "Hit" status and a million records sold that quickly, it just doesn't add up.

Were the three (3) records that were ahead of "I Need Your Love Tonight" selling that much more or were they just receiving more airplay or both ?

Payola ?
Or another record(s) that sold more than Elvis's million. Lots of records sold in those days. Lots.

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Juan Luis wrote:
minkahed wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
590316.JPG

Payola ?
Or another record(s) that sold more than Elvis's million. Lots of records sold in those days. Lots.
I understand that, but it doesn't answer my question.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

minkahed wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
590316.JPG

Payola ?
Thanks, minkahed.

Sorry, but I have no answer to your questions.

First of all, I would like to know how true those claims of "advanced orders" really were. Without detracting from the huge impact and success those Elvis singles had, maybe the claims were more marketing plots than anything else.

Topic author
Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

A funny clipping regarding co-author Bix Reichner :

590420.JPG

minkahed

Post by minkahed »

Mister Moon wrote:
minkahed wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
590316.JPG

Payola ?
Thanks, minkahed.

Sorry, but I have no answer to your questions.

First of all, I would like to know how true those claims of "advanced orders" really were. Without detracting from the huge impact and success those Elvis singles had, maybe the claims were more marketing plots than anything else.
See that's my point, If "Love Me Tender" had Advance orders of a million copies, the record only debuted at number #12 on the Top 100, still only number #2 on the "Best Sellers in Stores" list, and yet, the record wasn't even released yet !?

Smh.

bajo

Post by bajo »

Regarding King Of The Whole Wide World. In EU, King Of The Whole Wide World/Home Is Where The Heart is was released as a single, leaving the EP with the remaining 4 tracks. The single was very popular in Scandinavia and even went to #1 in Norway! :smt020

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"