Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I Beg Of You

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:21 pm

I'm not going to interfere with you guys who posts about different songs...just gonna make a small comment regarding"I Beg Of You". Well...2...
The voice...and the guitar. That's all.
Oh...and...WHOO!!

Re: I Beg Of You

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:01 pm

I love it! He had a hard time recording it. But the results were worth it.

Re: I Beg Of You

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Juan Luis wrote:I love it! He had a hard time recording it. But the results were worth it.


Thank you Juan. You and me love the 50's just as much as the 70's...just as the big majority of this message board.

Re: I Beg Of You

Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:54 pm

I love the part where Elvis does that throaty growl on "hooooooooold my hand and promise."

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:44 am

I like the released version, but I also enjoy the outtakes recorded in January 1957 that I first heard on "Stereo '57. They rock a little harder than the released version, but the slightly slower version that was released as a single has a better arrangement and a more confident vocal from Elvis.

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:13 am

I much prefer the 1957 outtakes too. The finished master reminds me toó much of Treat Me Nice.

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:59 am

None of the outtakes we have available from the January 13th arrangement comes close to the perfection of the February 23rd Master Take 34 .

Seems RCA and Elvis himself has also agreed, but yet we'll all go along with you two since you both have a better taste and ears for music.

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:53 am

Rtn 2 Sndr wrote:I like the released version, but I also enjoy the outtakes recorded in January 1957 that I first heard on "Stereo '57. They rock a little harder than the released version, but the slightly slower version that was released as a single has a better arrangement and a more confident vocal from Elvis.


It was the 34th and (possibly) final take that Elvis approved from the February 1957 session. Whereas guitar was dominant in the early arrangement, piano was to fore on this one Elvis approved for release. Both are kind of an embarrassment of riches, he was so darned good then.


jeanno wrote:I much prefer the 1957 outtakes too. The finished master reminds me toó much of Treat Me Nice.


It's the other way around. The released version of "Treat Me Nice" was cut seven months later, although released before "I Beg of You."

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:44 am

.

Here's an early version from 1958 as sung by the Swedish Elvis at the time Lille John and The Rockin' Jupiters. Posted just for fun:



They also recorded Treat Me Nice and You're So Square and the like.


A more recent version as released in 2011 by Darrel Higham:




Some other versions:

Artie Malvin - 1958
The Hunters - 1961 (instrumental)
Johnny Devlin with Chorus and Orchestra - 1963
The Allman Brothers Band - 1981
Ricky Norton and The Hot Rocks - 2002
Sue and The Flaming Stars - 2004
Robert Gordon and Chris Spedding featuring The Jordanaires - 2007
Mark Keeley - 2007
Terry Mike Jeffrey - 2009

.

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:15 pm

I like"Treat Me Nice" but IBOY is far superior. Pete Dube...It's one of the reasons it's so good and I naturally agree.

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:18 pm

As Doc notes having the outtakes is a feast for the ears. What a great performance. 34 takes-what incredible committment to perfection. Geniuses like Elvis must be hearing something in their head and working till they it out or give up in exhaustion. It. It must be maddening.

Both bersions are great but it was a wise choice to go with the released master. The Jordies also provide some added umph on this one.

Finally, another fine example of the value of having the outtakes. Who would have known he tried 2 directions and how much poorer we would be without them. I surely hope the sanctimoneous only release the master crowd skips the alternate for the sake of purity.

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Pete Dube wrote:I love the part where Elvis does that throaty growl on "hooooooooold my hand and promise."

Me too. Great song, great performance.

Love the American picture sleeve for the 45 Don't/I Beg Of You - probably my fav picture sleeve.

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:28 pm

.

I Beg Of You was written by Rose Marie McCoy and Kelly Owens.

Rose Marie McCoy (born April 19, 1922, Oneida, Arkansas, USA – died January 20, 2015, Champaign, Illinois, USA) also co-wrote "Tryin' To Get To You". She was an African American songwriter, influential and prolific during the 1950's and 1960's. Though she is most often associated with songs recorded by legendary Rhythm & Blues artists of the 1950's and 1960's, Rose Marie McCoy also wrote many jazz, pop, rock ‘n’ roll, country, and gospel songs. She published over 800 songs.

Here you see a snippet of her playing I Beg Of You on her Les Paul guitar:




VR&PS: Arlene Corsano (Rose Marie McCoy biographer) interview
Author Arlene Corsano was a guest on the 11/15/2015 edition of 89.1 WFDU fm's "The Vintage Rock & Pop Shop" hosted by Ghosty. Topics discussed include her biography of Rose Marie McCoy "Thought We Were Writing The Blues, But They Called it Rock and Roll".

.

Re: I Beg Of You

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:40 pm

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

I Beg Of You was written by Rose Marie McCoy and Kelly Owens.

Rose Marie McCoy (born April 19, 1922, Oneida, Arkansas, USA – died January 20, 2015, Champaign, Illinois, USA) also co-wrote "Tryin' To Get To You". She was an African American songwriter, influential and prolific during the 1950's and 1960's. Though she is most often associated with songs recorded by legendary Rhythm & Blues artists of the 1950's and 1960's, Rose Marie McCoy also wrote many jazz, pop, rock ‘n’ roll, country, and gospel songs. She published over 800 songs.

Here you see a snippet of her playing I Beg Of You on her Les Paul guitar:




VR&PS: Arlene Corsano (Rose Marie McCoy biographer) interview
Author Arlene Corsano was a guest on the 11/15/2015 edition of 89.1 WFDU fm's "The Vintage Rock & Pop Shop" hosted by Ghosty. Topics discussed include her biography of Rose Marie McCoy "Thought We Were Writing The Blues, But They Called it Rock and Roll".

.


Thank you. Keep up the good work!

Re: I Beg Of You

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 pm

Heres an outtake i worked on, a little extended edit too .........

http://www75.zippyshare.com/v/gPk0q95K/file.html

Hope u like the growl ...............

Re: I Beg Of You

Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:18 am

...Wrong file oops!
Last edited by Juan Luis on Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: I Beg Of You

Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice job, but i prefer him further forward as i had it .............

Re: I Beg Of You

Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:46 am

MikeFromHolland wrote:
I Beg Of You was written by Rose Marie McCoy and Kelly Owens.



Does anyone know anything about Kelly Owens (starting if she is still alive?)

Re: I Beg Of You

Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 am

I love having the outtakes, his voice is fantastic, the backing however I find too thin...I prefer the master !

Re: I Beg Of You

Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:29 am

wbcarley wrote:
MikeFromHolland wrote:I Beg Of You was written by Rose Marie McCoy and Kelly Owens.



Does anyone know anything about Kelly Owens (starting if she is still alive?)



Rose Marie McCoy passed away in January 2015, at the age of 91. No idea on the status of Kelly Owens. The co-write on "I Beg of You" was her biggest success, with a top 20 hit for Nat "King" Cole and the Four Knights, called "That's All There Is to That," the next best success in 1956.

Re: I Beg Of You

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:29 pm

the master take is a masterpiece.