Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Don't ask me why

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:10 pm

Hello everybody
I realy enjoy this wonderful ballad recorded by Elvis in 1958, from the King Creole LP. I like everything in the song, the Elvis young voice, the orchestration. I think it might be the greatest Elvis ballad from 1958.What do you guys think of this tune?

Re: Don't ask me why

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:29 pm

Not a bad offering from Elvis, but for my money, the best ballad on the soundtrack is "As Long As I Have You." Very simple and a little corny, but I always liked that song. As for 1958 ballads, I'd have to go with "Don't" over anything else.

Interesting topic, though, as I haven't heard that song in a long time. Thanks for posting!

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Nice song indeed.

And what a superb single!

Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:42 pm

MikeFromHolland wrote:.

Nice song indeed.

And what a superb single!

You got that right !!!

The 50's Elvis ... when it seems to have mattered so much.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:21 pm

The original version was recorded on 2 september 1954 by Perry Como for RCA; however it's unreleased.

colonel snow

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Does anyone know this version?

Peter McLean And The Henri Bource All Stars ‎– Hard Headed Woman / Don't Ask Me Why
Label: Planet Records (16) ‎– PX 004
Format: Vinyl, 7", 45 RPM, Single
Released: Nov 1958

From the Hal Wallis Production, "King Creole", a Paramount Film.

This record is renowned for its incredibly rare picture sleeve. Both songs were featured in the film "King Creole" which, of course, featured Elvis Presley.

Bob Crawford (co-owner of Planet Records) asked the Australian distributors of the film if Planet Records could use an image from the film for the picture sleeve, which featured an image of Elvis Presley. This permission was duly given, and a number of picture sleeves were printed and found their way into stores.

However, soon after its release, the local distributor had serious reservations and concerns about Elvis Presley's manager, 'Colonel' Tom Parker, finding out about the use of Elvis' image on a record NOT featuring Elvis himself. They realized that as soon as he found out they would be subject to serious legal action.

While there is no evidence to suggest that 'Colonel' Tom Parker actually ever found out about this, his fearsome reputation for litigation resulted in all sleeves being "withdrawn". (No-one messed with Tom Parker, who was infamous for using heavy legal action to get his way - and winning).

As initial copies - with the "Elvis" sleeve - had already been distributed to stores it was decided to leave them to sell-out and supply future copies without the offending sleeve.
As such, this record - in its picture sleeve - is now amongst the rarest Presley-related records in the world. The last time a copy of this came up for sale it fetched several thousand US dollars. The exact number of copies with sleeves is unknown, but only a few appear to have survived the years.

All subsequent copies of this record came in the standard, generic, green Planet Records die-cut paper sleeve.

Both tracks form this record were issued as 1-sided square cardboard picture discs by Prestodisc as follows:

Peter McLean With The Henri Bource All Stars - Hard Headed Woman

Peter McLean With The Henri Bource All Stars - Don't Ask Me Why

Source: https://www.discogs.com/Peter-McLean-And-The-Henri-Bource-All-Stars-Hard-Headed-Woman-Dont-Ask-Me-Why/release/4000892

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:27 pm

colonel snow wrote:The original version was recorded on 2 september 1954 by Perry Como for RCA; however it's unreleased.

colonel snow

Is the song with the same name by Jo Stafford another song?

This is from Billboard March 19, 1949:

1949 03 19 Dont ask me why - Jo Stafford.png

It might be the Stolz, Young composition though. Like the Tony Martin version from 1954 was. Can't find any more information.

Released in January 1954:

Sources: https://books.google.nl/books?id=Hw4EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT42&lpg=PT42&dq=perry+como+don't+ask+me+why&source=bl&ots=Rii9BzwOkM&sig=ZZdt-nK2UrCg7DjLJ47FKU566Wk&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiu0Nm0i5TPAhXrAJoKHRm-DqAQ6AEILDAB#v=onepage&q=perry%20como%20don't%20ask%20me%20why&f=false
and
https://books.google.nl/books?id=sh4EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=jo+stafford+don't+ask+me+why&source=bl&ots=va9G3_avGX&sig=PLHPFh51qA7L9tXC9ztaveCJXno&hl=nl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4kYzXi5TPAhUpYZoKHaZ-CZ4Q6AEIKjAB#v=onepage&q=jo%20stafford%20don't%20ask%20me%20why&f=false
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:45 pm

It's the same song written by Wise-Weisman.

more information here:

http://kokomo.ca/early_years/dont_ask_me_why.htm

colonel snow

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:01 pm

colonel snow wrote:It's the same song written by Wise-Weisman.

more information here:

http://kokomo.ca/early_years/dont_ask_me_why.htm

colonel snow

Thank you.

I'm not questioning Perry Como's version. My question concerned the Jo Stafford version. Do you have more info about that one?

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:14 pm

KHoots wrote:Not a bad offering from Elvis, but for my money, the best ballad on the soundtrack is "As Long As I Have You." Very simple and a little corny, but I always liked that song. As for 1958 ballads, I'd have to go with "Don't" over anything else.

Interesting topic, though, as I haven't heard that song in a long time. Thanks for posting!

I think Don't (which is a classic indeed) was recorded in 1957...

Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:28 pm

My favorite ballad when I first heard the "King Creole" album as a kid. I now prefer "As Long As I have You", especially the piano solo version. "Young Dreams" is another pretty one.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:39 pm

I've not found any information about Don't ask me why by Jo Stafford; I came a cross live version on Youtube by Marlene Dietricht but that's another song.

colonel snow

Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:58 pm

I quite like "Young Dreams" for the ballad for the film, in general I personally think "I need you so" for the ballad of the 50s

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:15 pm

Love the song and the soundtrack - Elvis at his best

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Great song, and B side. A song that should be better known. Elvis movie songs in the 50's for the most part were all very good. Dunno what happened to the writers after 1960. I guess the movie plots had something to do with it.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:31 pm

And because The Colonel didn't want Leiber and Stoller again.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:36 pm

Good song! The King Creole album ticks all the right boxes. The weak song on the album, for me, is "Young Dreams". I'm not including "Steadfast, Loyal and True" because it wasn't really intended as a song as such but just a sequence for the movie.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:39 pm

A beautiful recording from our man... at a time when he could do no wrong.

The King Creole soundtrack in its entirety (save Steadfast...) is an absolute gem. No other soundtrack comes close...

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:47 pm

r&b wrote:Great song, and B side. A song that should be better known. Elvis movie songs in the 50's for the most part were all very good. Dunno what happened to the writers after 1960. I guess the movie plots had something to do with it.

Imagine Leiber and Stoller being given the script "Kissin' Cousins" and asked if they could write some songs...one look at that script would be enough to put them off. Besides, with the old dutchman sticking his nose where it didn't belong wouldn't have bothered the songwriters one iota, they were good enough writers and confident to go elsewhere they didn't need Elvis anymore though Elvis probably needed them - Elvis should have told the mad dutchman to stick his big fat cigar up his backside.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:51 pm

CONFEDERATELVIS wrote:I quite like "Young Dreams" for the ballad for the film, in general I personally think "I need you so" for the ballad of the 50s

Best ballads of the fifties:

Blue Moon
Any Way You Want Me
Is It So Strange
Don't

Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:Great song, and B side. A song that should be better known. Elvis movie songs in the 50's for the most part were all very good. Dunno what happened to the writers after 1960. I guess the movie plots had something to do with it.

Imagine Leiber and Stoller being given the script "Kissin' Cousins" and asked if they could write some songs...one look at that script would be enough to put them off. Besides, with the old dutchman sticking his nose where it didn't belong wouldn't have bothered the songwriters one iota, they were good enough writers and confident to go elsewhere they didn't need Elvis anymore though Elvis probably needed them - Elvis should have told the mad dutchman to stick his big fat cigar up his backside.

Didnt someone contact them (the Col?) for writing songs for Elvis' first post army move (GI Blues)? When they heard the demands didnt Jerry tell the Col to go blank himself? I dont know if this is really true, but I thought I read it somewhere.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:05 pm

r&b wrote:
Davelee wrote:

Didnt someone contact them (the Col?) for writing songs for Elvis' first post army move (GI Blues)? When they heard the demands didnt Jerry tell the Col to go blank himself? I dont know if this is really true, but I thought I read it somewhere.

It sounds like the story before Elvis entered the army. Apparently, the Col sent them a contract to sign but the contract didn't specifically say what it was for, so Jerry or Mike phoned the Col and asked "Whats the contract for?" the Col said "you will know soon enough" one of them said "i'll get back to you". The two then discussed the situation, phoned the Col back and said, "we've had i chat about it and we both agreed that you should go and f@#k yourself", with that the phone went down. Thats the way i've read it.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:07 pm

Davelee wrote:
r&b wrote:
Davelee wrote:

It sounds like the story before Elvis entered the army. Apparently, the Col sent them a contract to sign but the contract didn't specifically say what it was for, so Jerry or Mike phoned the Col and asked "Whats the contract for?" the Col said "you will know soon enough" one of them said "i'll get back to you". The two then discussed the situation, phoned the Col back and said, "we've had i chat about it and we both agreed that you should go and f@#k yourself", with that the phone went down. Thats the way i've read it.

Ok, yeah, it was before GI Blues

Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:42 pm

A German version from 1959:

Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:23 am

Best ballads from the 50s
3. Anyway you want me
2. Don't
1. Blue moon

Best ballad from 1954 to 1977
3. Anyway you want me